STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Yeah acquire speed then work on endurance.

Speed is significantly harder to develop so spend the time working on that, then work on gradually increasing the distance at the higher speed.

Endurance is easy to develop, speed isnt.

Speed is significantly harder to develop so spend the time working on that, then work on gradually increasing the distance at the higher speed.

This is true but if if it's for simple exercise sake speed isn't a real factor to him. Unless it is then that changes everything.

Also depends on your previous running/cardio experience. If you've just started, work on finishing a set distance before worrying about time taken.

All goal oriented really

This is true but if if it's for simple exercise sake speed isn't a real factor to him. Unless it is then that changes everything.

Also depends on your previous running/cardio experience. If you've just started, work on finishing a set distance before worrying about time taken.

All goal oriented really
I do 4 miles twice a week and at 11 minutes a miles which I know is slow

Last edited:
I do 4 miles twice

I do 4 miles twice a week and at 11 minutes a miles which I know is slow

Is this consistent? Meaning is it always 4 miles and always twice a week?

Also do you stop at any point during the runs?

When you're done are you spent? Or do you stop because your 4 miles are up?

Last edited:

All goal oriented really
speed is important even if it is for simple exercise sake. Increasing top level speed "raises the ceiling" so when endurance work is done it delays the onset of fatigue, thereby automatically increasing endurance.

speed is important even if it is for simple exercise sake. Increasing top level speed "raises the ceiling" so when endurance work is done it delays the onset of fatigue, thereby automatically increasing endurance.

Again yes but we don't know the condition this guy is even in. He may have knee or hip problems on top of other things.

Again yes but we don't know the condition this guy is even in. He may have knee or hip problems on top of other things.

If someone has knee or hip problems, increasing endurance is the last thing you want to work on.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/07/training/the-balancing-act-speed-vs-endurance_52309

This should help you.

All about building that balance, knowing what you can do, and pushing yourself for speed and distance.

It also keeps it fresh. Running for speed or distance over and over again WILL get boring. If you set goals for both and ran at 2 different paces it'll help keep the workouts entertaining. We're not pros, we can't sit and do the same thing over and over, it starts to suck, it's just the truth :lol:

Last edited:
My pops ran 21 miles yesterday morning then cleaned out an apartment for the majority of the day.... he's also 54. 

I feel like a ***** when I only run 2-4 miles with him 
laugh.gif

Another thing you can do bro is have different exercises lined up

For example

400m Sprint day
Make a certain distance day
Run for a set amount of time day
Fastest mile day

Things like that. Keep it different and fun.

Cardio is just like working any other group. You don't just do flat bench all day when it's time for chest. Gotta do other things and switch it up

Last edited:
My pops ran 21 miles yesterday morning then cleaned out an apartment for the majority of the day.... he's also 54. 

I feel like a ***** when I only run 2-4 miles with him :lol:

Whenever I do a long distance race the top 2 have always been either an older man, or a young kid. It's like if you got it, you got it.

Yeah this guy I went to school with did a 5k this summer I ran in and he won it in under 15 mins 
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom