Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by Dam itz Lou

What are some healthy cold cuts or some healthier ones ?

Of all the things in available at a grocery store, processed meats are THEE worst thing to consume.
Eat turkey breast, or chicken breast. 

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

as for lateral raises......with straight arms it feels awful for my shoulder joints, so i do them with arms bent so the weight is out in front of me. feels great, ridiculous burn.
Same here. And I wasn't progressing in weight when I was doing them with my arms straight.

I started doing them with my arms bent after I saw Zyzz do them that way in a video.
laugh.gif
That was the first time I saw them done that way.

lol but no im kinda the same way, always saw a bunch of people in the gym doin em that way, didnt even realize they hit the same areas as regular lateral raises. tried em one day and although the form is a little tricker than keeping your arms straight out it is sooo much better for me.
i decided what im doing for my diet......one serving of carbs a day, oatmeal (oats+water no milk) preworkout, because honestly my body cannot handle lifting with no carbs well enough for it to be worthwhile

very low gi carb source once a day about 1 hr preworkout should lean me out really well i presume. and it gives me the energy i need, i dont feel too tired like i do on no carbs.

been eating a lot of fats to make up for it.......salmon, eggs (with the yolks), extra virgin olive oil, some fat from lean meats, lots of avocado, etc.

i want a source of saturated fats as well though.....palm/coconut oil, something like that. i read that palm oil mimics some of the effects of trans fats and while it isn't as bad as like them its not a great thing to eat a lot of either........is coconut oil better? 

Wont you loose a lot of muscle mass or barley progress? I want to go lower carb but I cant lift without them
yeah im not gonna be gaining much strength or mass if any, the point is to lean out even further and drop more body fat. i want to get to like 8% and stay there

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by nikestreetdotcom

I'm curious to find out what you're thoughts are on caffeine pre-workout.  For the past 2-3 months, I've been religiously taking caffeine approximately 20 minutes pre-workout.  One of my buddies told me that you should use caffeine sparingly pre-workout because your body grows tolerant of it and you start relying on it for all your workouts.  I've seen significant increases in strength overall and I attribute it to the mental focus/energy I get from the caffeine.
Thoughts?

Alex
Your body does become tolerant but it can still remain a very potent tool if you increase the dosage. I used caffeine pre-workout a lot in the summer time and it definitely helped but I wanted to try and see how I'd react without it so I cut it out completely for 1 month back in September. I'm not going to lie, I felt terrible the first week and there were days where I was basically mentally ******ed by 3pm. However, the funny thing is after the 1st week my body adapted and I was completely fine. Energy levels were normal again and my workouts were great. Since October I've consumed caffeine basically every day but I'm gonna try to cycle off of it soon. It helps and it does have some health benefits but its also problematic if you use it too much.

Anyways, some dude asks me for a spot today so I say sure...I go over and this dude asks me to spot him doing preacher curls. What. the. $%*%? I didnt know what I was supposed to do so I just stood there watching him...on the last rep I just slightly touched the bar and watched as he squeezed out his last rep. I'll never understand why dudes get people to spot them doing curls and %@%+ like lat pulldowns
30t6p3b.gif

And does anyone have suggestions on how to reduce bodyfat when you're already pretty low? I think I've been in the 10-11% range for 3 weeks now but I havent been able to go any lower. Any workout + diet suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the advice!
As far as reducing your bodyfat really low, I suggest carb cycling.  I did this along with HIIT when I was unemployed, and I got down to 4%. 

Alex

I just dogged 2 sandwiches w/ some turkey and swiss cheese.

I really hate healthy food and I hate to cook. I need some easy things to eat for lunch & dinner sometimes.

Lulz at Muggsy Bogues.

Taken a bunch of group fitness classes recently (Bodypump and Spin classes)
I highly recommend Bodypump. A good barometer to see if you are in shape. Haven't been that sore after something in a while.
I also recommend Pilates. That is damn hard. Your trunk will scream in pain.

im gonna call bs on the 4% bf right now. that's bodybuilder contest level
Maybe he hit 4% for a competition???
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

im gonna call bs on the 4% bf right now. that's bodybuilder contest level
I'm not sure how accurate the reading was, but I was shredded.  Here is a picture below circa late 2009:
9uxahs.jpg

Alex

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

this is a normal guy at 5.3 bodyfat
1gzZeFD1pMVmaMEWjzKL4ImsM98Ts156e.jpeg
Damn. I didn't realize it was that off.  I was told 4% when I used the calipers.  
Nonetheless, carb cycling helped me drop significant bodyfat.

Alex

I don't see how posting that dudes pic and bodyfat disproves the other cat, the noticeable difference i see there is bigger more defined muscles. Son does have a bit of flab over the shorts though.

^ Can I get more information on how you carb cycle? Do you go high carb one day and then very low carb the next day? Or do you cycle weekly?

This lil fat in my lower stomach is irking the %@!% outta me and I need to find a way to lose it

no worries man i didnt mean you were purposely lying but calipers are not all that accurate

to get a real reading you need to do a bodpod or similar way of measuring

either way you were very lean....hard to tell from the pic but id say in the 8-10% vicinity would be more accurate. which is very very lean, most people who claim to have 8% bf or so don't.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

as for lateral raises......with straight arms it feels awful for my shoulder joints, so i do them with arms bent so the weight is out in front of me. feels great, ridiculous burn.
Same here. And I wasn't progressing in weight when I was doing them with my arms straight.

I started doing them with my arms bent after I saw Zyzz do them that way in a video.
laugh.gif
That was the first time I saw them done that way.

lol but no im kinda the same way, always saw a bunch of people in the gym doin em that way, didnt even realize they hit the same areas as regular lateral raises. tried em one day and although the form is a little tricker than keeping your arms straight out it is sooo much better for me.
i decided what im doing for my diet......one serving of carbs a day, oatmeal (oats+water no milk) preworkout, because honestly my body cannot handle lifting with no carbs well enough for it to be worthwhile

very low gi carb source once a day about 1 hr preworkout should lean me out really well i presume. and it gives me the energy i need, i dont feel too tired like i do on no carbs.

been eating a lot of fats to make up for it.......salmon, eggs (with the yolks), extra virgin olive oil, some fat from lean meats, lots of avocado, etc.

i want a source of saturated fats as well though.....palm/coconut oil, something like that. i read that palm oil mimics some of the effects of trans fats and while it isn't as bad as like them its not a great thing to eat a lot of either........is coconut oil better? 

Wont you loose a lot of muscle mass or barley progress? I want to go lower carb but I cant lift without them
yeah im not gonna be gaining much strength or mass if any, the point is to lean out even further and drop more body fat. i want to get to like 8% and stay there
do you think If I wanted to get down to like 12, 13% It would be a good idea or would I be able to have more carbs?
the only carbs I eat are oatmeal, brown rice and sweet potatoes and I cant get the results at the pace I want.

no worries man i didnt mean you were purposely lying but calipers are not all that accurate

either way you were very lean....hard to tell from the pic but id say in the 8-10% vicinity would be more accurate. which is very very lean, most people who claim to have 8% bf or so don't.
I agree. It's tough because each method you use yields different results.  Regardless, I was pretty proud given that I was 205 at one point 
embarassed.gif

In my opinion, if you're not naturally an ectomorph, it's extremely difficult to not only get that low, but to maintain it for a long period of time.

Alex

you can eat all the carbs you want if you follow a basic caloric deficit diet

but very low carb or carb cycling or keto (either ckd or tkd) will help you drop fat at a much faster pace

it depends on what your goals are. i would personally advocate some sort of controlled carb diet because it gets the cut over with quicker. maybe try limiting yourself to one serving of any of those carb sources a day and see how that goes (all 3 are great carb sources). if that works stick with it, if it doesn't or if you hit a plateau try keto or carb cycling to break it.

How do you all usually cut after the winter?  Like I said, I usually do carb cycling, but I lose so much strength/muscle mass.  Any tips?
Alex

Originally Posted by nikestreetdotcom

I agree. It's tough because each method you use yields different results.  Regardless, I was pretty proud given that I was 205 at one point 
embarassed.gif

In my opinion, if you're not naturally an ectomorph, it's extremely difficult to not only get that low, but to maintain it for a long period of time.

Alex
agreed, im ecto meso and once i put on fat its still not as easy as id like to lose it. but then again i dont put on fat easily so i cant complain too much

nikestreetdotcom wrote:
How do you all usually cut after the winter?  Like I said, I usually do carb cycling, but I lose so much strength/muscle mass.  Any tips?
Alex

im doing a very carb restricted diet atm......ive done a carb cycle which i hated, and ive also done a plain calorie restricted diet with normal macros. i gradually tapered the cals down from 2500-1500 /day

Back
Top Bottom