Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

NT Lifters who do a majority of compound work (Tevez and nealraj i think??)

what does your routine generally look like over a week period??

I usually only do 3 barbell lifts: Deadlift, Squat, Standing Press

The rest of my workouts are based around gymnastic moves. Front lever, back lever, l-sit, handstand, etc. Static holds and fundamental bodyweight exercises(pull ups in front lever position and such)

I'm trying to add in weighted pull ups and dips.

So for a week, it'd be kind of like this:

Sunday: Squat, Standing Press, Deadlift

Monday: Front lever, back lever, L-sit, handstand static positions. (Unweighted) Ring Dips and FL Pull up

Tuesday: Squat, Weighted Dips, Weighted Pull Ups

Wednesday: Static Holds. Pseudo planche push ups and Ring Rows

Thursday: Squat, Standing Press, Deadlift

Friday: Static Holds. Handstand push ups and pull ups

Saturday: Static Holds. Muscle ups, ice cream makers, and other variety moves.

I don't usually train daily. There are days that I choose to run sprints instead or go play raquetball or something else and I'll cancel the day's workout. Some days I put the Gymnastics in the afternoon and do barbell work in the morning. It's not a fixed schedule, but the general template is the same(barbell lifts, static holds, and difficult bodyweight move progressions).

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by Durden7

Theres a benefit to caffeine, but from everything ive read its not physiological.  So yes, caffeine will mean better performance in those who respond to it, but it isnt a physiological effect.
 links i posted say otherwise 
nerd.gif
I also have a bunch of pdf files that show that caffeine has no significant effect, but just like most things theres information from both sides of the fence.

As far as links posted here is concerned, theyre actual studies which is good but I know theres more to those studies than what was posted. 

Durden,

Whats a good substitute for a Standing Military press? Im lifting at 5x5 50kg.. but my form is ****e. I heard Upright Rows aren't good in the long run either.
Why is your form off?

Durden, you seem to preoccupy yourself on matters of causation a whole lot. I think maybe I'll provide some quick and dirty simplification.

I would guess you and everyone else intuit this already, but here it goes one more time.

Some things have a bunch of different causes (cancer, for instance).
Different things can cause the same thing (smoking, radiation, etc.-->cancer)

Put clearly, some things can sufficiently cause certain things (caffeine can lead to better work outs), but might not be necessary for causing those things (good diet can lead to better work outs, without caffeine).

Moreover certain things might be ultimately responsible (caffeine leading to better workouts), but not immediately responsible (person's capacity to focus actually being responsible for better work out).

It's just a matter of recognizing immediate and ultimate causes and understanding that one should either credit one thing (person's own ability) or everything (everything that has contributed in one way or another to person's ability).
You lost me with this one. 

Have incorporated this type of workout into my weekly schedule in the past.  Dont mind The Natural's form, more the concept behind the workout:

Theres a benefit to caffeine, but from everything ive read its not physiological.  So yes, caffeine will mean better performance in those who respond to it, but it isnt a physiological effect.
nerd.gif
I also have a bunch of pdf files that show that caffeine has no significant effect, but just like most things theres information from both sides of the fence.

As far as links posted here is concerned, theyre actual studies which is good but I know theres more to those studies than what was posted. 
They link to the studies at the bottom. I was always under the impression that caffeine was a (mild) performance enhancer, I've seen a lot of studies that indicate so

Originally Posted by maicolkickhead

thanks..... i was also wondering about jack3d, does it really get you pumped?

yes...take it 30-40 mins before your workout..start with 1 scoop and see how your body reacts to it

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Have incorporated this type of workout into my weekly schedule in the past.� Dont mind The Natural's form, more the concept behind the workout:
This is a great routine and surprisingly you wont lose strength following such a routine even though the weights are very light. I actually found myself getting stronger from circuit training routines. It sucks that my gym now is too small/crowded for me to circuit train but I HATED doing it at my older gym a few years back. Your face turns beet red, you sweat like Patrick Ewing, and after the 2nd or 3rd round you just want to give up. I usually went to the gym did this for 20-25 minutes, rested after and called it a day. It's a very efficient routine as you work out all your muscles in a short period of time and your elevated heart rate will help you burn more calories when you're out of the gym, plus you dont really need to do cardio either. I remember working out with a friend who is a sprinter and much stronger than me and he was laughing when I was loading up the bars with 25-35 pound plates. Dude couldnt finish and gave up like 10 minutes in
laugh.gif

BTW, I dont think caffeine allows you to lift more weights or anything but I believe it gives you a jolt and improves mental alertness. If you are feeling light headed due to fatigue then chances are you're gonna have a crap workout. Taking caffeine brings my focus up on days when I'm feeling tired and helps in that respect. The problem though is becoming too dependent on it. It's fine/beneficial in small/moderate doses but taking too much may be detrimental to health.

Scott Frost wrote:
Have incorporated this type of workout into my weekly schedule in the past.� Dont mind The Natural's form, more the concept behind the workout:

Yeah I do Randy Couture workout pretty often.

its a killer

When my buddy 1st put me on to the Couture a couple years ago I didnt know what I was getting into. Threw on 25 lb plates and barely got through the 1st circuit and bascially vomited on myself.

You dont even have to follow that routine to a tee...there are tons of circuit routines you can follow. The concept behind is just to work all your muscles in a functional manner and keep your heart rate elevated. It helps MMA fighters deal with lactic acid build-up and extremely high heart rates in the later stages of fights. For the normal person its great for aesthetics, health and also enhances athletic performance as well. This video makes me want to incorporate circuits again...maybe I'll start it up next week
laugh.gif

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]Has anyone tried the Dorian Yates Blood And Guts Workout posted on Bodybuilding.com???[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]im a regular getting back into action cause of the new year[/color]
embarassed.gif

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]Is It A GOOD workout?? if not can someone point me in the direction of one??[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]workout routine[/color]
Spoiler [+]
Chest/Biceps Workout
dot

* 10 min Warm Up on Treadmill

Injury Prevention tip: Rotater Cuff Warm Up - 2 sets of 12 reps, rest elbow on surface to keep form tight

* Decline Bench Press: 2 warm up sets of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets, increase weight)

Dorian's Tips: The Decline Bench Press is the most effective pec exercise.

* Incline Dumbbell Press (45 degree incline): 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets, increase weight)

Dorian's Tips: Lower weight slowly, explode up.

* Flat Bench Dumbbell Flyes: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

5 min rest

* Dumbbell Concentration Curl: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets

Dorian's Tips: Squeeze at top.

* Straight Bar Curl: 1 set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weigh

Back Workout
dot

* Dumbbell Pullover: 2 warm up sets 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure,desired weight (increase weight between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Dumbbell Pullover Isolates only Lats.

1 min rest

* Close-Grip Pulldown: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

1 min rest

* One-Arm Row (each arm): 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

1 min rest

* Wide-Grip Cable Row: 1 warm up set 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between reps)

Dorian's Tips: Only use straps when grip fails.

1 min rest

* Barbell Deadlifts: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between reps)

Delts/Triceps Workout
dot

* Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 warm up set of 8-10 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Don't lock elbows at the top. Keep dumbbells apart. Don't over-stretch, lower dumbbells to delts.

1 min rest

* Side Lateral Raise: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Change order of shoulder exercises.

Dorian's Tips: Half reps push to failure when it's hard to spot.

1 min rest

* Low-Pulley Delt Raise: 1 set of 6-8 reps to failure, each arm

Dorian's Tips: Have partner lift weight to exhaust negative.

1 min rest

* Reverse Dumbbell Flyes: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Pull elbows forward to isolate rear delts.

5 min rest - Recuperate and mentally prepare.

* Triceps Pushdown: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Push bar in towards the body. Stagger feet to keep balance.

1 min rest

* Lying Triceps Extensions: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Don't pull bar forward to keep triceps engaged.

* Seated Triceps Press: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 8-10 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

* 10 min Cardio Warm Up

Stretching

* Lower Back Stretch: 1 set of 6 reps, each side
        * Hamstring stretch (keeping legs straight): 1 set of 6 reps
        * Glute stretch: 1 set of 6 reps

Dorian's Tips: Active stretching doesn't weaken muscles.

* Leg Extensions: 1 warm up set of 15 reps, 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 10-12 reps to failure, increasing desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

1 min rest

* Leg Press: 2 warm up sets of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 10-12 reps to failure, desired weight ( 1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: True failure means mental failure.

1 min rest

* Hack Squat: 2 warm up sets of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 10-12 reps to failure, desired weight ( 1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Moderate Stance. Squat below parallel.

5 min rest. Recuperate and mentally prepare.

* Seated Hamstring Curl: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 10-12 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Have partner lift weight to exhaust negative.

1 min rest

* Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 10-12 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Only lower as far as a straight back allows. Don't use reverse grip. Hold bar with thumb.

1 min rest

* Calf Press: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 3 rest-pause sets to failure, desired weight (10-15 sec rest between sets)

Dorian's Tips: Perform rest-pause sets to push beyond failure.

1 min rest

* Seated Calf Raise: 1 warm up set of 10-12
reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)

nerd.gif

They link to the studies at the bottom. I was always under the impression that caffeine was a (mild) performance enhancer, I've seen a lot of studies that indicate so

Oh ok, I didnt see the links to the studies.  Ill check them out later.

Caffeine is a mild performance enhancer, depending on what the performance is.  It works really well for "till fatigue" events but its not a resistance training type of stimulant.  It helps in events that last a long time.  It does provides the mental alertness for a lot of people though.

nerd.gif

Oh ok, I didnt see the links to the studies.  Ill check them out later.

Caffeine is a mild performance enhancer, depending on what the performance is.  It works really well for "till fatigue" events but its not a resistance training type of stimulant.  It helps in events that last a long time.  It does provides the mental alertness for a lot of people though.

Caffeine's has an effect on both long term and short exercise as well as resistance training.  The amount of effect it has is based on the habitual use of it from the subject.  I had to review numerous studies and there were mixed reviews but the ones who had the best pre and post procedures as well as a mix of diiferent types of subjects showed it had a great effect.

Also when you look at studies about caffeine you have to look at how much of it the subjects received and the training levels of the subjects tested beacause that can have a major impact in results.

Durden,

Whats a good substitute for a Standing Military press? Im lifting at 5x5 50kg.. but my form is ****e. I heard Upright Rows aren't good in the long run either.
Why is your form off?

Weight is getting too heavy.

Avy goes HARD, camel.

Originally Posted by I3

Durden,

Why is your form off?

Weight is getting too heavy.

Hard to say without pictures. It could be anything from your ankles, hips, or shoulders.

Do you feel pain when you lift?

I thought caffine was proven to increase endurance in endurance athletes/events. I remember seeing some articles last year for a nutrition class I had. One of the few proven supplements

Originally Posted by DenisHot

1MR is crazy, I am usually extremely lethargic in the gym until I warm up but I drank this today for the first time and went crazy as soon as I stepped in. Also had crazy focus and this was on 1/4th of a dose. To compare, I get similar intensity drinking 3 scoops of jack3d. I'm 6'5 225

Yeah, this !*%$ worked. I'm 6'2 200 and it did me good. Felt nice and focused for my entire workout.

oh man. getting back at it after slacking for a while feels good but I swear I almost fainted today. I played like a few games of ball up to 21 and was pretty much dead after, then decided to go do an entire circuit of weight training. I felt pretty good then all of a sudden I felt light headed like I seriously overdid it. Probly should have eased back into working out after taking like a 2 week hiatus. 

Originally Posted by Club29

Scott Frost wrote:

Yeah I do Randy Couture workout pretty often.

its a killer

brb finding magnifying glass

Randy Couture Workout for MMA Conditioning
Randy Couture performs a circuit training workout routine with a barbell. He does 8 reps of each exercise and repeats 3-5 times, resting one minute between circuits.

Bent over rows
Upright rows
Military press
Good morning
Lunges
Squat push press
Deadlift

i'm sure after round 3 its a wrap
laugh.gif

need to try it though.

That dorian Yates workout is a HIIT weightlifting workout. Where you do like one set at a light weight and one at the heaviest you can for like 6-10 reps. For starters just go with the traditional 3 sets for now. He does know his stuff though very smart guy.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

That dorian Yates workout is a HIIT weightlifting workout. Where you do like one set at a light weight and one at the heaviest you can for like 6-10 reps. For starters just go with the traditional 3 sets for now. He does know his stuff though very smart guy.

thanks for the input man,

ima see if i can handle it exactly the way its written out.
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom