Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

wcbs-cover.jpg

anyone ever check this book out?

Ive previously said Ive never seen as many shysters in this industry as Ive seen come along in this recession.

Im going to tell you a litte story (just because my disgust level is high right now)

A broker (who takes care of a slew of name brand companies you see out there on supplement store shelves and in magazines...companies that have been talked about on this and other boards far and wide, known NAME BRAND COMPANIES) contacts my business partner and I to custom manufacturer for him. I already make supplements for about 42 companies out there so this is the norm. Its a very rare case that any sparkly label retail supplement company makes their own products....its custom manufacturers like myself who do so, and they (retail supplement company) stick to the media marketing/advertising.........In the last year my business partner and I have seen this recession bring out the worst of the worst of business people to make a dollar.

He (broker for these many retail companies) wants hundreds of thousands of pounds of raw materials jugged, heatsealed, labeled, and shipped out to supplement stores or distributorships. Not a problem...thats what we do.

The profit margin on everything he wanted to do came out to 400 thousand dollars a month. Thats what he wanted to start out doing and then he wanted to ramp up even higher. He had lost his last custom manufacturer because they were shysters who got out of the shyster business and reformulated (a company that has been talked about on this board, other boards and has advertised on many boards over the last many years....some of you board owners probably know of whom i talk about as about 3 of you contacted me over the years and said "hey what the hell is up with these guys products, we are having serious stomach problems over here") .....I digress.
So we price everything out and this broker is good to go...he is excited. At the last minute before we start production he asks the question we have been getting alot of in the last year....."Heyyyyyyy, you guys know whats up.......lets do this, lets take out 25% of that (many dollar per pound) Isolate and lets put in (less than a buck) dextrose"........
Our reply, "yea we can do that but we are going to have to have you change the labels you sent over to apply because now the ingredient list is different."
Him: Naaa just leave the labels like they are, its good to go"

This has gone on for many weeks now with us absolutely refusing to put on his labels.....including a lengthy discussion between my business partner and I about all the particulars involving this company and our morals/values as a manufacturing company.

And then the ensuing argument/refusal with the broker/company which ended with turning this company/broker away.

Bottom line? We turned down 5 million dollars profit (at least) a year because we do the "right thing" over here. Im giving my business partner and myself a little pat on the back for that because TAKE IT TO THE BANK....the next custom manufacturer wont turn him away and a whole bunch of guys in this bodybuilding industry will be on bodybuilding boards raving about a "PROTIEN THAT TASTES FREAKING INCREDIBLE (ahhh good old dextrose) AND THE PRICE JUST CANT BE BEAT FOR "cough cough" 24 grams of protein per scoop

Would he have been my biggest client numbers wise? No, but its a good chunk of change.....but....allow myself a little pride of doing the right thing.

Its a very dog eat dog world out there right now (not only in supplement industry but every industry)...we got taken for 5 figures in 2008 and 5 figures in 2010 in deals involving "friends' in the bodybuildng industry that I gave a little leeway too....lessons learned.......
I ask everyone to be very wary and a educated consumer in this new year.

wowww

thats low, thats not just swapping out isolate for concentrate or something......dextrose??? come on.
man i hate 95% of the supp companies out there. most cannot be trusted. imagine all the stuff we don't know that doesn't reach our ears.

one more reason to juice at least you know what youre getting and that it works. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

Originally Posted by D723

Originally Posted by af1 1982

What's up guys?

I'm about 5'9" and 140 pounds (yes I'm super skinny). I've been looking to just generally get bigger. I have a fast metabolism so it's pretty hard for me to gain weight. This semester I'm looking to go to the gym all the time as part of my schedule. Any tips and workout routines? What supplements and specific brands?

I'm looking to gain lean weight. I'm trying to get my upper body bigger. I want that V shape lol

Thanks guys!
Eat a LOT of food and lift big. 
I'm a big fan of USP Labs as far as supplements go. Jack3d is a great pre-workout no matter what your goal. Energy, focus, and a little added strength.

I also tried BPI's 1MR for PWO and like it but the caffeine was a little too much for me.

A good multi-vitamin, fish oil, and whey protein should also be staples in your supplementation. Here is what I take, I'm sure other NT'ers can help out in this department also...
Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey (Vanilla Ice Cream is my favorite because it mixes well with damn near everything when the powder itself gets boring) 

Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Multivitamin (these are a bit pricey compared to things like One a Day but didn't upset my stomach the way other Multis did)

GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil (also a bit pricey but pretty close to the prescription strength stuff my dad takes without the fishy burps)

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna do Jack3d before I workout and finish off with whey protein. 
Are there any workout routines I should look into. I'm mainly looking to get bigger, especially with a nice upper body. 

jack3d really is awesome imo......it doesnt work well with some people but most love it. price is very competitive too.

do all compound lifts first then move on to isolation lifts. free weights over machines. any sort of workout program that is based on this will help you.

as i've gone on lifting i've tried various workout routines an i've noticed that if i really push myself 110% and put in the effort the results come. there's no magic workout program or routine. as long as they are full of compound lifts and hit all the muscle groups you should be fine. and it's always good to mix it up, don't stick with one routine for a year + imo

o yea i know this is late but happy new years

go harder this year than you did last year

im actually gonna keep a legit log this year....ive done them an got lazy a few times.

Goals
Weight: 185lbs. (173)
Bench: 225x5 (185x5)
Squat: 225x5 (225x1) - I hate doing squats
25 pullups (10)
Deadlift: 405 (325)
Military Press 185 (135)

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

jack3d really is awesome imo......it doesnt work well with some people but most love it. price is very competitive too.

do all compound lifts first then move on to isolation lifts. free weights over machines. any sort of workout program that is based on this will help you.

as i've gone on lifting i've tried various workout routines an i've noticed that if i really push myself 110% and put in the effort the results come. there's no magic workout program or routine. as long as they are full of compound lifts and hit all the muscle groups you should be fine. and it's always good to mix it up, don't stick with one routine for a year + imo
If you've never lifted before, stick with machines at least until you get motions and things down. Most gyms have trainers on staff, or even regular staff that will show you around and familiarize you with all their equipment. Please take advantage of their knowledge so you can get the most out of your gym experience. Good luck!

Sorry if I sound like a noob but what are the benefits of compound vs. isolation exercises. I was thinkin about doing bis and tris one day, chest, back, and shoulder the next day and legs the day after that. I was thinking about resting on weekends. Or would it be better to work all muscles (chest, arms, shoulders, back) in one day and take a rest in between workout days.
Edit: I have lifted before. I used to lift a bit for basketball back in middle school

nah no reason to start on machines. just start with weight, learn proper form (either online or by having a friend/random dude in the gym who knows what he's doing show you) you can manage and you won't injure yourself.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Sorry if I sound like a noob but what are the benefits of compound vs. isolation exercises. I was thinkin about doing bis and tris one day, chest, back, and shoulder the next day and legs the day after that. I was thinking about resting on weekends. Or would it be better to work all muscles (chest, arms, shoulders, back) in one day and take a rest in between workout days.
Ignore all advice given about doing machines or isolation movements as your routine. 
Read this: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/strength-power-faq-v2-0-a-1339105/

Q: Do I have to do Squats/Deadlifts?

A:YES, These are the two most important lifts in terms of overall body strength and development. No amount of benching and curling will make up for not doing them; any routine that does not include them is inherently flawed.

Going to get my diet right for about 2 weeks, then hit the gym.
I was going hard in the gym and making good progress, but I fell off after I cam from Cali 
ohwell.gif

Maintaining the diet was the hardest part for me. I just copped a rice cooker and a foreman grill, hopefully I can stay on track.

Outside of sex and humiliating someone during a sparring session, Squats make me feel the most manly

Will doing high reps with low weights = doing a normal amount with normal weight if that makes sense? Copped some dumbells from wal mart for 20 bucks, its a 40 lb set, so that would divide at 25 per dumbell (bar is 5lb). When I use to go to the GYM I use to do 45/50 per hand, I wanna cop power blocks or the bowflex select techs but dont wanna scrap out the bread
frown.gif

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

I was going hard in the gym and making good progress, but I fell off after I cam from Cali 
ohwell.gif

Maintaining the diet was the hardest part for me. I just copped a rice cooker and a foreman grill, hopefully I can stay on track.

daytona what brand rice cooker you got? is it also just an overall steamer like that you can use for veggies?

ive been interested in one of these for a while , dont know which brand to go with

Originally Posted by Club29

Outside of sex and humiliating someone during a sparring session, Squats make me feel the most manly

I feel mad awkward. I've read endless articles to help my form but I still don't feel comfortable.
I HAVE only been doing em for about 10 months though..

Dead lifts make me feel like man
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

Damn, even the thread has a new years surge. 

EVERY year no fail

im gonna have to switch to early mornin routine because my regular time is gonna PISS me off at the gym

thanks for remindin me.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

ohwell.gif

even if you slip up with your diet (happens to everyone especially if youre a student or have a crazy work schedule)
leep lifting hard

dont use it as an excuse to stop going to the gym, you lose momentum and it's harder to get back into the flow of it

Originally Posted by wanksta23

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

Has anyone taken Oxy Elite Pro?

stack it with leanxtreme
nah just take eca or take oxy elite pro by itself imo
doesnt lean xtreme have some sketchy amphetamine analog? they got in trouble for that a while back
no idea...i was reading about these supps in bb and they seemed to be pretty popular stacked together
sneakerking just do some research yourself to be sure
I'm just gonna take Oxy Elite Pro by itself this time around, since I already picked it up today.

I definitely wanna give the EC stack a try the next time around, since I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Thanks, brahs.

I know some of us don't frequent this thread but I see no reason for some of you to act like snobs toward us. I was in the gym hard like 2yrs ago but got laid off and gained like 17lbs. I never really had a workout partner and really just did regular bench press, ab work, leg work, etc. Nothing fancy like some of you guys are talking. I'm basically just looking for beginner pointers like how to tone up, what vitamins/supplements to start with, and how you guy's diets work. Any help would be appreciated. I'm 6'3 217. I use to fluctuate between 195-205. I'm basically shaped like Illest was in those before pics except with a slimmer build. Thanks

Has anyone taken Oxy Elite Pro?

stack it with leanxtreme
nah just take eca or take oxy elite pro by itself imo
doesnt lean xtreme have some sketchy amphetamine analog? they got in trouble for that a while back
no idea...i was reading about these supps in bb and they seemed to be pretty popular stacked together
sneakerking just do some research yourself to be sure
I'm just gonna take Oxy Elite Pro by itself this time around, since I already picked it up today.

I definitely wanna give the EC stack a try the next time around, since I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Thanks, brahs.
heard it works well and the dmaa will keep you energetic and upbeat, its a nice stim. check out bb.com i think they have a special for 3 bottles of it.

Back
Top Bottom