Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

as of late egg whites have been so disgusting to me

my taste buds might have changed.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by bwood056

Starting German volume training next week. Time to shock up my muscles. Hopefully be able to get past my 450lb plateau on bench. I expect great results. Going to run it for 6 weeks. Then deload. And Max again. I NEEED 500 badly on bench so I can transition into a cutting phase. I have never gone 5 days or less in the gym per week for the past 2 yrs(over training to say the least) so this 3 day a week routine will be hard for me. But I hear great things. Hoping my numbers increase 20 lbs on each lift (450 bench, 575 deadlift, 455 squat, 275 seated millitary)= current numbers
Check out some of Pavel Tsatsouline's stuff. He has a routine called the Russian Bear routine that's similar for mass gains, but it uses heavier weights. He's got a load of info for getting past plateaus that may be more useful than GVT as well, not to take anything away from Charles Poliquin.
im gonna take a look at this an im still tryna gather info on fst-7

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Okay... serious concern here.

I really want to get a good warm up before my heavy lift, especially since it's winter and I'm only working out a few days a week.

The easiest option for me is to hit the treadmill... I'd also like to slowly get into jogging before next summer.

after 6 mins of going from 4.0-6.5 every min (not HIIT, just interval) MY ANKLES AND FRONT SHINS ARE SO SORE. I'm not even tired.. barely elevated heart rate.. but I have to stop after 6 or 7 mins.

This happens every damn day. I try changing the tightness of my sneakers, the speed, the interval pace, everything. What am I doing wrong?
I'd like to do a 15+ min jog prior to lifting
The best way IMO to warm up is by doing similar movements to the exercise you're gonna do. For example, warm up with the bar and light weights if you're going to bench press heavy. Squat with bodyweight, the bar and light weights prior to squatting heavy, etc. If you want to warm up you could also do some dynamic stretching. Jogging prior to lifting wont really help your lifts and one can argue that jogging as a warm up prior to heavy lifting is counter-productive.

I dont think jogging before exercise would hurt lift performance.

It all depends on the length of time and intensity.  15 minutes is too long, but a 5-7 minute warmup at a light-moderate jogging speed is fine.  I dont see anything wrong with that.  The idea is to get blood flowing and I think that would be suitable.

Brett - Sounds like shin splints.  If youre not used to running (especially on a treadmill) its pretty common to be sore in those areas.

You should stretch your calfs (gastroc and soleus) and do some anterior tibialis exercises. 

Originally Posted by Al Audi

as of late egg whites have been so disgusting to me

my taste buds might have changed.
I dont even taste em.. until I'm finished, then the after taste is  
sick.gif
 so I chse with chocomilk

thanks durden I'll give it a shot.

I'd hate to run into bwood in a dark ally 
laugh.gif

i need somebody to give me some good advice to get out of this weight lose plateau ive lost 60-65lbs with in the last couple months for the last 2 months i cant lose a lb and have actually gained weight, i literally work my %#@ off at the gym and watch everything i eat, ive tried eating less, eating more, working even harder at the gym i out of options at this point i dont know what to do, basically the only thing i havent tried is taking time off from the gym does anybody thing this could help or have had experience with this working

Originally Posted by imthekang

hey brett ^, whats ur occupation?

Student, Construction Engineering.
Kobefthreebang, what does a typical day worth of food look like approximately? Do you have a relative understanding as to how many grams of macro-nutrients you consume? Have you read up on Intermittent Fasting? 

What exactly are you doing at the gym? Are you lifting weights? Have you tried High Intensity Resistance Training? High Intensity Interval Training? 

i need somebody to give me some good advice to get out of this weight lose plateau ive lost 60-65lbs with in the last couple months for the last 2 months i cant lose a lb and have actually gained weight, i literally work my %#@ off at the gym and watch everything i eat, ive tried eating less, eating more, working even harder at the gym i out of options at this point i dont know what to do, basically the only thing i havent tried is taking time off from the gym does anybody thing this could help or have had experience with this working

Look at your body instead of the scale and see if you notice progress. Muscle is heavier by volume.
SMH @ me... I was working out 4-5 times a week for like 6 months. Then the last month I haven't gone at all... and it's so hard to get back at it.

At the end of October, a situation (out of my control) arose that prevented me from going to the gym consistently for about 3 weeks. I still participated in drinking alcohol and my diet slipped. . I entered my worst shape in 6 months. Ironically, I was receiving compliments from females. This meant nothing of course because my performance at the gym was so pitiful, I was personally embarrassed. So exactly 21 days later, I completed a 5 day workout week. I'm proud to say that I'm back at it with consistency and feel great. I can't recommend going back to it enough man. If you have the time, clear your mind of any potential half %+# excuses and dedicate yourself again. You'll thank yourself later.

i eat 3 square meals a day drink a protein shake after my workout, i workout for about 1hr and half, 5 days a week workouts consist of 30 mins of cardio and then a mixture of basic weight training i little bit of resistance, (know of any good workouts?) the muscle thing is true but i use that electronic body fat% thing and it always seems to go up it was 14.9 a month ago know its at 16.6 how the f does that happen when i havent done anything but work out and eat right its so frustrating i do understand that muscle weighs more but i dont feel like im getting stronger but yet im getting heavier

Starting German volume training next week. Time to shock up my muscles. Hopefully be able to get past my 450lb plateau on bench. I expect great results. Going to run it for 6 weeks. Then deload. And Max again. I NEEED 500 badly on bench so I can transition into a cutting phase. I have never gone 5 days or less in the gym per week for the past 2 yrs(over training to say the least) so this 3 day a week routine will be hard for me. But I hear great things. Hoping my numbers increase 20 lbs on each lift (450 bench, 575 deadlift, 455 squat, 275 seated millitary)= current numbers
Check out some of Pavel Tsatsouline's stuff. He has a routine called the Russian Bear routine that's similar for mass gains, but it uses heavier weights. He's got a load of info for getting past plateaus that may be more useful than GVT as well, not to take anything away from Charles Poliquin.
Check out http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/ That's the forum for Pavel's work and there have been loads of testimonials and questions asked about the Bear Program. It's a pretty simple routine, but very effective. Most people that have tried it have answered back with nothing but positive results and things to say about the routine.

bwood, lots of people on the dragondoor forum compare GVT and the Bear. The main difference is that GVT trains higher reps with lower weight and the Bear trains high reps with higher weights(than GVT). Since your goal is strength, I figured you may be more interest in it. I have yet to hear of any complaints of the Bear aside from the fact that if you don't watch yourself, you'll burn out bad.

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

i eat 3 square meals a day drink a protein shake after my workout, i workout for about 1hr and half, 5 days a week workouts consist of 30 mins of cardio and then a mixture of basic weight training i little bit of resistance, (know of any good workouts?) the muscle thing is true but i use that electronic body fat% thing and it always seems to go up it was 14.9 a month ago know its at 16.6 how the f does that happen when i havent done anything but work out and eat right its so frustrating i do understand that muscle weighs more but i dont feel like im getting stronger but yet im getting heavier
As previously mentioned, judge your progress by using a mirror, not a scale.
Because in reality who gives a *%*% what your exact weight is? It's about how you look and feel.

Don't read this at your own peril. http://www.projectswole.c...routine-plus-hiit/ 

Check out http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/ That's the forum for Pavel's work and there have been loads of testimonials and questions asked about the Bear Program. It's a pretty simple routine, but very effective. Most people that have tried it have answered back with nothing but positive results and things to say about the routine.

bwood, lots of people on the dragondoor forum compare GVT and the Bear. The main difference is that GVT trains higher reps with lower weight and the Bear trains high reps with higher weights(than GVT). Since your goal is strength, I figured you may be more interest in it. I have yet to hear of any complaints of the Bear aside from the fact that if you don't watch yourself, you'll burn out bad.
i thought the bear was less reps (6) with the same sets. ? i really want to put mass on first, then ill worry abt the strength aspect. ive switched to a powerhouse down from my house, and with all the diff hammer strength and chains, ect. i have gained alot of muscle. but now i feel stagnant, so iam giving the GVT a try. was talking to the USF strength coach, and he was advising it. btw i did NOT know alstott was as strong as he was (he was the strength coach for the bucs for 10 yrs too ) 

!%#$#
no but serious question why do u want to get your strength up.....do you want to compete as a powerlifter or is it just for personal goals? i feel like those kind of bench number mean youre bordering on looking too big

i thought the bear was less reps (6) with the same sets. ? i really want to put mass on first, then ill worry abt the strength aspect. ive switched to a powerhouse down from my house, and with all the diff hammer strength and chains, ect. i have gained alot of muscle. but now i feel stagnant, so iam giving the GVT a try. was talking to the USF strength coach, and he was advising it. btw i did NOT know alstott was as strong as he was (he was the strength coach for the bucs for 10 yrs too ) 
Up to 20 sets with 3-5 reps per set. The weights are changed a bit in the beginning going from heavy to a bit lighter. You'd have to check out the book though. It's in Pavel's "Power To The People". There are a few writeups around on some forums too 
smile.gif

Here is my issue. I am strong, but I am not big. I see people all of the time in the gym who are bigger then me, but I am way stronger then them. Like yesterday I am about to do 110 on the flat dumbell press and some guy looked at me like I was crazy. I did 8 smooth reps and he came up to me and was like "damn I didn't think you were going to be able to do that." So in short... what do I have to look as strong as I am? Keep in mind I play basketball at least twice a week... is that the problem? Do I need to take some supplements, or is this just how my body is going to be??? I'll upload a pic in a second.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

!%#$#
no but serious question why do u want to get your strength up.....do you want to compete as a powerlifter or is it just for personal goals? i feel like those kind of bench number mean youre bordering on looking too big
personal goal. ive always have been strong, so its not abnormal weight im putting on. i weight 240 btw- 6'1.i feel like if there are no goals, and you are just going through the motions in the gym, its worse than striving for something to push you. i know many people that have been on the same routine for years, and just go through the motions. they do not achieve anything IMO. shocking your muscles and setting goals is the best way to achieve your genetic potential. its something that i love, im not one of those guys that wears those super thin (basically no shirt) in the gym lol. i laugh at those clowns, or the ones roided out just hitting curls and chest, and their strength is a joke ( half of them look bigger and me and cant lift half as heavy) . aha. im a real lifter, and i lift with a purpose which is not to impress other people at the beach. +!%% i dont even have a 6 pack, not worried about it.  

Originally Posted by Classy Freshman

Here is my issue. I am strong, but I am not big. I see people all of the time in the gym who are bigger then me, but I am way stronger then them. Like yesterday I am about to do 110 on the flat dumbell press and some guy looked at me like I was crazy. I did 8 smooth reps and he came up to me and was like "damn I didn't think you were going to be able to do that." So in short... what do I have to look as strong as I am? Keep in mind I play basketball at least twice a week... is that the problem? Do I need to take some supplements, or is this just how my body is going to be??? I'll upload a pic in a second.
Basketball shouldn't be the issue. How much do you eat? You might not be eating enough to sustain muscular growth. You may want to try out an intensive mass gain routine(like German Volume Training or The Russian Bear from the above posts) for a while.

Up to 20 sets with 3-5 reps per set. The weights are changed a bit in the beginning going from heavy to a bit lighter. You'd have to check out the book though. It's in Pavel's "Power To The People". There are a few writeups around on some forums too 
smile.gif

thing about the internet is so many biased opinions on diff things. I.E : negatives are bad, negatives are good. ect. ill have to buy the book, wouldnt mind reading up on it. im seriously going to intertain the idea in a couple of months thats for sure. btw thanks for the direction. 

Got my first gym membership yesterday, feeling pretty good about it. I'm 6'0 155 lbs probably gonna use the starting strength program to add strength/mass. Right now my workouts are limited to weighted pullups and pushups and dumbbell exercises but there's only so much you can do with 25 lbs at the crib. Kinda nervous to be the rook in the gym but everybody seemed cool. Any tips for the gym newb?

Basketball shouldn't be the issue. How much do you eat? You might not be eating enough to sustain muscular growth. You may want to try out an intensive mass gain routine(like German Volume Training or The Russian Bear from the above posts) for a while.
if your not an advanced lifter, and never have tried low reps more sets. even like 5 sets at 3 reps. throw in some forced reps (thats were u gain muscle and strength) i believe you would benefit. try that on ur main lifts for a month or so. if you have barely any body fat, and a high metabolism rate, cut the intense cardio (bball) out for that month, see if you can add some weight. also you do need protein intake at least 2-3 times a day as meal replacements. 

Originally Posted by tillmatic

Got my first gym membership yesterday, feeling pretty good about it. I'm 6'0 155 lbs probably gonna use the starting strength program to add strength/mass. Right now my workouts are limited to weighted pullups and pushups and dumbbell exercises but there's only so much you can do with 25 lbs at the crib. Kinda nervous to be the rook in the gym but everybody seemed cool. Any tips for the gym newb?

ask questions. if you see some one that knows their ##+$, and its a weird lift you have never seen, and your curious. go up and ask what body part is it working, and the benefits. eventually youll go at a certain time and run into the same people. and youll get to know everyone. 

tillmatic wrote:
Starting Strength is a great routine to start out with. After going to the gym for a while, you realize that nobody actually cares what the other person is doing because they're busy with their own workout. Don't worry what other people think, go to the gym for yourself. Here's a few tips:
  • Try not to miss any workouts initially. You may start procrastinating if you get in the habit of doing so
  • Stick to one routine for a while. Don't keep experimenting with too many exercises because your gains will not be nearly as great. Do only the "bread and butter" exercises as a beginner. Don't worry about doing 100 different moves for abs. Squats and deadlifts work your abs too.
  • Don't worry too much about soreness. You can still workout if you're sore. Do some stretching and massage on your off days if soreness is bad. I know after squatting and deadlifting the first time, you'll be exquisitely sore for a few days. A foam roller is a good investment. Either that or a tube sock with 2 tennis/lacrosse balls works fine as well.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions.
  • Start light and work on technique. Once you get technique nailed it, then start adding weight. It'll help protect yourself from injury in the future. 
  • Don't add too much weight too soon. It's better to be consistent and keep on going than inconsistent and fail due to frustration.
  • Eat enough for recovery from your workouts

bwood, The book has good info. Slightly expensive for the material in it, but worth it IMO. He goes over high tension techniques, the basic PTTP routine for strength without added mass, and the Russian Bear routine along with periodization(linear, step, and wave). 

if your not an advanced lifter, and never have tried low reps more sets. even like 5 sets at 3 reps. throw in some forced reps (thats were u gain muscle and strength) i believe you would benefit. try that on ur main lifts for a month or so. if you have barely any body fat, and a high metabolism rate, cut the intense cardio (bball) out for that month, see if you can add some weight. also you do need protein intake at least 2-3 times a day as meal replacements. 

I eat a few small meals throughout the day, but never a really BIG meal. My lifting routine consists of about 8-10 reps until failure. So doing less reps/higher weight should make me LOOK stronger? Here is a pic btw...
ohwell.gif

9363588f4f2675c954c59fe26a920d54e830363.pjpg

Back
Top Bottom