Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

BTW, I tested all my maxes while on an empty stomach. Anyone else lift on an empty stomach? For years I simply could not function in the gym unless I had atleast 1 big bowl of oatmeal inside me but since August I've actually preferred lifting on an empty stomach and it hasnt hurt my performance at all. I dont know the science behind it but sometimes when I eat carbs (i.e. oatmeal) just prior to my workout I feel light headed and crash while at the gym. When I lift in a fasted state I feel that my blood pressure remains very stable and my heart rate is more relaxed.

I lift on an empty stomach as well. Definitely lifting better than before.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

But isnt it good to have carbs for lifting energy?
In a fed state, you might be able to lift a little more. But unless you're competing, what difference does it make?

Fit women
pimp.gif

jszfqw.jpg

2ajq1qc.jpg

1vnkgjvrrkmsw0qw4gbbn8e.jpg
2t1.jpg

070.jpg

Originally Posted by Durden7

BTW, I tested all my maxes while on an empty stomach. Anyone else lift on an empty stomach? For years I simply could not function in the gym unless I had atleast 1 big bowl of oatmeal inside me but since August I've actually preferred lifting on an empty stomach and it hasnt hurt my performance at all. I dont know the science behind it but sometimes when I eat carbs (i.e. oatmeal) just prior to my workout I feel light headed and crash while at the gym. When I lift in a fasted state I feel that my blood pressure remains very stable and my heart rate is more relaxed.

Ill get into the science of it some other time, but it makes sense.  If you consume carbs too close to exercise, theres a negative period where you're actually hypoglycemic and itll hinder performance.
*Patiently waits for an explanation*

Ill get into the science of it some other time, but it makes sense.  If you consume carbs too close to exercise, theres a negative period where you're actually hypoglycemic and itll hinder performance.

How close? 1 hour?

When I eat a meal and then workout within the hour I feel like it's slowing me down.
2-3 hours after eating.. I feel more streamlined (not literally), and faster/stronger

14 hours after a meal and I tend to get light headed.. but I'm done with IF for the time being. 

A lot of it is probably psychological..

Doing the 5,3,1 Jim Weilder (SP?) program and going HARD on the milk again
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. I feel so *@*%+#% powerful. Form is perfect for every rep and weights are steadily increasing.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Al Audi

thought some of you guys might wanna check this out

http://www.70sbig.com/?page_id=7
Good article... but I'm saying... why does he promote red meats like it's an absolute necessity? Is it? Does it matter if I get my protein from chicken/turkey burgers rather than steaks??
I'm still not convinced that eating 10,000 calories a day is going to make my muscles grow any faster than 3,000. 

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

I'm still not convinced that eating 10,000 calories a day is going to make my muscles grow any faster than 3,000. 

True. After a certain point, the excess will stop being partitioned to muscle and just go to fat stores. It's up to you to find out what that point is for yourself.

Well the idea is that the increase in blood glucose will then trigger an increase in insulin.  Theres a rapid fall in blood glucose after this, which is the rebound hypoglycemia.  The rise in insulin will cause the glucose to be shuttled to the muscles to be used, but it typically occurs so quickly that the muscles uptake of glucose will cause a drop in blood glucose.  (Same idea when you eat a candy bar on an empty stomach.)  The begining of exercise typically makes the uptake of glucose more pronounced so its most likely why you feel lightheaded prior to your workout.

This isnt guaranteed happen to everyone though.  The rebound hypoglycemia occurs in some people, but in others it doesnt happen at all.

Also, if the oatmeal youre eating is high in fiber it will delay gastric emptying which can also hurt performance.

How close? 1 hour?
Yeah, it's typically around an hour and under.

Originally Posted by Royal Airness 29

Can any1 put me on a fast release/absorbing protein shake post workout?

Some might tell you that dextrose (corn sugar) will spike your insulin levels and therefore "sending nutrients to the muscles faster".
Might be true, to an extent.

Just eat carbs and protein... 

I do 16 egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal, L-Glutamine and a bunch of peanut butter.
pimp.gif

If you can, try to make those carbs simple carbs. If you dont want to use dextrose fine. But if you can use berries, or chocolate milk thats probably better than something like oats post workout.

Can anyone tell me the PROPER way to do a stomach crunch? Tryin to get right for the summer..... and how many i should do a day to get results. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 1focusedfemale

Can anyone tell me the PROPER way to do a stomach crunch? Tryin to get right for the summer..... and how many i should do a day to get results. Thanks.
Do hangin crunches

Originally Posted by sladewilson

Originally Posted by 1focusedfemale

Do hangin crunches

Ive never heard of those before in my life.....

Back
Top Bottom