Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

back squats first always for me then....
front squat
hack squat
lunges
leg press (not the stupid machine ones that use the stack of weights but the ones that slide on the rails and use real plates)

those are all i do, ill pick two or three from there to do after squats. they all hit quads and glutes hard.....front squats and hack squats hit the quads harder than back squats, which is why i always do at least one of them then calf stuff. lunges are also sick, i like dumbbells for those not barbell its not as awkward and you can go 110% and drop the DB's no prob if you fail on a rep. 

yeah i look ******ed walking after a leg workout, one of my buddies who doesnt lift always gives me ++** about it

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by I3

Is working out twice a week sufficient assuming I do basketball workouts and run games every other day?

I go heavy on wednesday and saturdays and the other days I train. I'm aiming for size though and if I can get bigger with more workouts I'll do it.

You're going to burn a lot, so you'd need to eat a fair bit to put on size
Since my two days are full body, I'm thinking having an additional day on monday for just bench and rows... maybe. Would that be beneficial? My bench is lacking

Depending on your schedule I guess, some are busy so 2 full body workouts a week + bsaketball games is a good combo, you're building muscle and burning fat. 

I've just followed the basic Strong Lifts programme (google it) - and its just focused on 3x a week all compound workout.  My squat sky rocketed, my bench rocketed and deadlifts rocketed.
I think it might be good to check it out - its good for strength.

Just dont underestimate nutrition.  Going to the gym 7x a week with poor eating habits wont get you far, however aligning your nutrition (cut or bulk or whatever) with your programme = success!

In terms of you're bench - do you use a spotter? I couldn't get past 132lbs, now im benching 154lbs - I weigh like 140lbs.

brettTHEjett wrote:
Yo, it is what it is. I need to keep things interesting or I get bored and lose motivation.
I like trying things out that people [on the other board] PREECH about, just to see how effective it is. i.e. dextrose, IF, supplements, blah blah

Every day is a learning experience.. and I'm cool with that. I've seen really good progress doing certain things and not so much from others. The point is the effort put forth is enough to continue the snowball of progress. 

I mean, when you did strength training was there never a point where you felt being ripped was just as important? 

but nahh I understand you need to stick to a certain regime. I actually started a strength training program last week and I'm going to do six 4 week cycles. THEN I'll allow myself to worry about vanity 
laugh.gif

You just need to relax. Find a hobby or something. Learn a language, pick up a sport, etc.
You need to prioritize. Sure, vanity has a certain importance, but you need to learn to sacrifice certain things for periods of time in order to achieve other goals.

Originally Posted by DaCitySlanga

Since the holiday season is upon us, we have lots and lots of FOOD...not to mention upcoming Christmas parties at work, schools, and even friends.....are you guys going to use this to begin your bulking phase for the winter???

Im just going to continue to eat in moderation, and up my cardio, not really feeling like bulking this winter.  
Perfect time for intermittent fasting 
happy.gif

Hahaha yeah, and her wrists are bent. Horrible form. And that better not be her bottom depth, because she's not even parallel.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by I3

Is working out twice a week sufficient assuming I do basketball workouts and run games every other day?

I go heavy on wednesday and saturdays and the other days I train. I'm aiming for size though and if I can get bigger with more workouts I'll do it.

You're going to burn a lot, so you'd need to eat a fair bit to put on size
Since my two days are full body, I'm thinking having an additional day on monday for just bench and rows... maybe. Would that be beneficial? My bench is lacking

Depending on your schedule I guess, some are busy so 2 full body workouts a week + bsaketball games is a good combo, you're building muscle and burning fat. 

I've just followed the basic Strong Lifts programme (google it) - and its just focused on 3x a week all compound workout.  My squat sky rocketed, my bench rocketed and deadlifts rocketed.
I think it might be good to check it out - its good for strength.

Just dont underestimate nutrition.  Going to the gym 7x a week with poor eating habits wont get you far, however aligning your nutrition (cut or bulk or whatever) with your programme = success!

In terms of you're bench - do you use a spotter? I couldn't get past 132lbs, now im benching 154lbs - I weigh like 140lbs.
Yeah I checked out the Strong Lifts and it's basically kind of what I'm doing, all I do are major compound exercises right now and I'm making steady progress.

The toughest thing for me is eating enough when I need to. There's alot of carbs in my house and some crappy snacks so I don't really try and eat those, which makes it tough cause other than that there's not much I can eat.

My bench, I haven't maxed out in a while. In my workouts, it's after incline, shoulder press, squat and deadlift so by the time I get there 100 lbs is all I can get. I use dumbbells also, but when I maxed out I figure I could push maybe 135-140 about 2 times. I'm 145-150 lbs.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

i almost puked in my car on the way back from the gym

i love/hate leg day

It's so awkward after my last exercise (calf raises)... when I have the HARDEST time walking back to the change room... takes me 10x longer 
laugh.gif

This was recently discussed...

My big lift on "leg day" is obviously squats. What two other exercises can I do as assistance to my squat?
i'm a fan of bulgarian split squats

probably a dumb question, but anyway, im at the point where i can just barely grab any fat over my abs, so my question is at this point should i start doing some ab exercises to start seeing them more or should i just keep buring off the fat? 

Originally Posted by needsomejays

probably a dumb question, but anyway, im at the point where i can just barely grab any fat over my abs, so my question is at this point should i start doing some ab exercises to start seeing them more or should i just keep buring off the fat? 

keep burning the fat bro
nothing wrong with ab exercises but with no further fat loss they wont get you far

Okay... I'm 100% done with micromanaging my macro-nutrients.
I just wish I could have a meal plan done for me to help meet my goals so I don't even need to think about it. Just like 3 meal options for 4 meals a day.
Is there some tool online????

you can always do ab exercises when you please but you still need to work on burning off the fat.

good luck brah

Originally Posted by Zyzz

you can always do ab exercises when you please but you still need to work on burning off the fat.

good luck brah

Forget the advice and hook dude up witha cycle of clen.
We all know damn well you've got a warehouse stock full of it 
laugh.gif

The ab exercises are mandatory for strengthening the abs, but if in order for them to be visible, you must lower your BF%.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by Zyzz

good luck brah

Forget the advice and hook dude up witha cycle of clen.
We all know damn well you've got a warehouse stock full of it 
laugh.gif

veavk2.jpg

embarassed.gif

So I tested out my max lifts for the first time since February. I'm down 7 pounds since then and here are the results:
-Bench press is the same
grin.gif

-Seated military press up by 10 pounds
-Power cleans up by 5 pounds (this surprised me since I havent done heavy power cleans since February)
-Squat down by 35 pounds (Not surprising since I took 1 month off back in September from weight training my legs)
-Deadlift up by 25 pounds
eek.gif

Overall I'm happy my power clean and deadlift went up even though I havent trained for strength at all in 9 months or so.

BTW, I tested all my maxes while on an empty stomach. Anyone else lift on an empty stomach? For years I simply could not function in the gym unless I had atleast 1 big bowl of oatmeal inside me but since August I've actually preferred lifting on an empty stomach and it hasnt hurt my performance at all. I dont know the science behind it but sometimes when I eat carbs (i.e. oatmeal) just prior to my workout I feel light headed and crash while at the gym. When I lift in a fasted state I feel that my blood pressure remains very stable and my heart rate is more relaxed.

5'9 168...

Bench - 230 x 1, 225 x 3, 215 x 5

Seated military - 175 x 1, 160 x 5

Power clean - 185 x 1 (I think I can do more but I was too tired)

Squat - 320 x 1, 285 x 5 (I could do 355 x 1 and 315 x 10 back in February
mad.gif
)

DL - 345 x 1, 305 x 5

My bench press sucks big time but I am happy with my other lifts. I am going to maintain for a bit and then try to improve my strength either the beginning of January or February.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

BTW, I tested all my maxes while on an empty stomach. Anyone else lift on an empty stomach? For years I simply could not function in the gym unless I had atleast 1 big bowl of oatmeal inside me but since August I've actually preferred lifting on an empty stomach and it hasnt hurt my performance at all. I dont know the science behind it but sometimes when I eat carbs (i.e. oatmeal) just prior to my workout I feel light headed and crash while at the gym. When I lift in a fasted state I feel that my blood pressure remains very stable and my heart rate is more relaxed.

Ill get into the science of it some other time, but it makes sense.  If you consume carbs too close to exercise, theres a negative period where you're actually hypoglycemic and itll hinder performance.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Ill get into the science of it some other time, but it makes sense.  If you consume carbs too close to exercise, theres a negative period where you're actually hypoglycemic and itll hinder performance.
inb4 djprestige gets crunked up

Yeah, I've noticed first hand that there is a window of opportunity, about 2-3 hours after eating breakfast in which I feel great in the gym. To soon and I'm food coma-ing or too late and I'm not that energetic.

Back
Top Bottom