Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Durden7 wrote:
Even if that were to beproven highly inaccurate I would take Arnold Schwarzenegger's advice onanything fitness related before I listened to something you had to say.
So you're taking Arnolds word over science?

Essentially, if you've ever take a science course (which I have taken multiple, I'm assuming you haven't). 

In the scientific method a very imbedded topic is the allowance of implied truths to be considered false, for everything even laws. In this case I'll take vast experience over science.

But while we are on the subject, do you have any direct evidence that involving more close-grip pull ups and pull downs won't lead to quicker lower lat development closer to the waist line than someone who isn't switching up their grip thus using traditional pull-downs or pull-ups? 

DAMN.

I just want everyone to understand my motives here...
I have a lot of spare time when I'm not studying/in the gym to ponder these things. Any random whim of an idea I have I post it as a question to begin a discussion. By discussing these things we can debate the likely hood of effectiveness/need/purpose etc on training or nutrition. I'm glad we've been able to have different perspectives chime in without personal TROLLING attacks. It's a discussion. I learn something very time I ask a stupid question
laugh.gif

hell, it might not even be my lats that I'm talking about. When you widen your back and pretend that wings are coming out of your back, grab your side. That muscle... i believe is the lat. mine are noticeably thick closer to my shoulders and taper off into a really thin muscle closer to my waist. It's weird
laugh.gif

See a guy at the gym almost everyday with kicks on.

Sacramento CA, Florin gym...?

I know you on Niketalk!

p.s. I've decided to throw my diet out the window. Until February comes closer.

190 pounds right now and I'm loving it, aside from the abs no longer being visible and the water bloat.

Just by adding pull-ups to my workouts made my back and lats way bigger:

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Spoiler [+]
5183619275_8ea3812f1a_z.jpg
[/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now I just gotta focus on exercises that target the lower back.[/font]

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

p.s. I've decided to throw my diet out the window. Until February comes closer.

190 pounds right now and I'm loving it, aside from the abs no longer being visible and the water bloat.
Nice man
pimp.gif
how much were you weighing when we met up?
I've decided to do the same (with the diet/cardio) mainly so I can rehab my doggone knee... need to be able to stay active without having to limp around everywhere after bball runs or cardio
30t6p3b.gif

Ok this is a great topic you guys are on. My workout partner is complaining about the same thing sorta. He is worried that his "inner" chest won't get bigger. When we do chest, we usually do flat bench first then incline and decline (also flies and push ups). He wants to cut the flat bench sets with closegrip flat bench sets. Does that make any sense? We're also kinda beginners we're not really lifting that much.

i heard you cant target inner or outer chest but you can target upper or lower.

i feel like incline is the best thing for my chest, second fav exercise is actually machine flies i doubt they do much so i do em dead last but they feel so good

Originally Posted by Al Audi

hey durden i wanna Target my UPPER chest

what can i do? lol

carry on.
That's why I said it's difficult to do and debated if its even possible at all.

Some people say that you can develop a part of a muscle group more than another part of the group and some say its not possible.

Essentially, if you've ever take a science course (which I have taken multiple, I'm assuming you haven't). 

Inthe scientific method a very imbedded topic is the allowance of impliedtruths to be considered false, for everything even laws. In this caseI'll take vast experience over science.

Butwhile we are on the subject, do you have any direct evidence thatinvolving more close-grip pull ups and pull downs won't lead to quickerlower lat development closer to the waist line than someone who isn'tswitching up their grip thus using traditional pull-downs or pull-ups? 

That's a very bold assumption.

Who's experience are you referring to?

hell, it might not even be my lats that I'm talking about. When youwiden your back and pretend that wings are coming out of your back,grab your side. That muscle... i believe is the lat. mine arenoticeably thick closer to my shoulders and taper off into a reallythin muscle closer to my waist. It's weird
laugh.gif

Yeah, that's your lats.

They taper off because thats how the muscle's designed.

If you do any type of pulldown or row of course you are going to involve the whole of the lats -but it is perfectly easy to target a certain part of that muscle or any muscle by changing something as simple as the hand position or width of grip.

For those who doubt this, there is one very easy solution ...go to the gym and just try a series of pulldowns using different handles, grips, hand positions etc. and see if you can FEEL the emphesis being put more on a certain part of the muscle ...or do they all FEEL exactly the same.

Brett -your lats are supposed to look like that ...& yes, you do ask some stupid questions
laugh.gif

JOE- Again, inner chest can be targeted with pec deck flyes or upwards cable crossovers -yes, of course the whole of the chest will be worked but you are putting more emphesis on that inner section.

Originally Posted by Vancity74

For those of you who've taken extended time away from the gym before, how did you cope with trying to get back into the swing of things? I've neglected myself for the past few months and I think I'm kinda depressed at how much fat I've gained, muscle I've lost, etc. I'm just having a rough time getting back into it.

Tips?
Take things slow in the beginning and work up the volume. I took a break from gymnastic moves and when I came back, I did so with too much volume and ended up injured for a few weeks. Like Carlos Tevez said, do exercises you enjoy otherwise you'll dread that you even started up again. Or maybe take a new approach(martial arts, gymnastics, kettlebells, etc.)

I have to get surgery for a sports hernia in a couple weeks. I was wondering if any of you guys dealt with a sports hernia and what type of workouts did you do to recover.

i've had surgery on an inguinal hernia last year...not sure if thats the same.

but basically i couldn't do anything for 3 months.

it was depressing

Originally Posted by danextjordan23

i want shoulders like Rondo
pass

and

go click on the ways to save money thread and look at point #2 in the OP

is this what yall do after ur workouts
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Durden7 wrote:

Inthe scientific method a very imbedded topic is the allowance of impliedtruths to be considered false, for everything even laws. In this caseI'll take vast experience over science.

Butwhile we are on the subject, do you have any direct evidence thatinvolving more close-grip pull ups and pull downs won't lead to quickerlower lat development closer to the waist line than someone who isn'tswitching up their grip thus using traditional pull-downs or pull-ups? 

Answering that won't be necessary, I believe I've made my point here. Any debate from here on out would be an ego clash with little knowledge to benefit from.

Just next time don't scoff at these kids for quoting Arnold Schwarzenegger before you get sonned by someone like me again. Its cool that you are taking your time in helping all these people out though, continue to do so.

wasn't sure if this has been asked yet but...

has anyone tried Mitotropin?

went to GNC the other day and asked the guy about fat burners. he said it's the best overall product out there. 30 day supply. says he's seen people lost as much as 30lbs on it. can never be too sure if those guys are pulling your leg or not so was wondering if anyone here has tried it/heard of it

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Answering that won't be necessary, I believe I've made my point here. Any debate from here on out would be an ego clash with little knowledge to benefit from.

Just next time don't scoff at these kids for quoting Arnold Schwarzenegger before you get sonned by someone like me again. Its cool that you are taking your time in helping all these people out though, continue to do so.

...and i'm the one who's on a high horse.....

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by thejrob

Advice needed:

I started lifting about 2 months ago and I'm a pretty small dude that has never consistently lifted before. Things are going pretty well, but going into the whole process the right side of my body was always stronger (especially arms/ shoulders) just from me naturally favoring it my whole life in sports I guess. Either way since I started lifting, it seems more apparent to me that my right shoulder is broader which always makes my arms feel uneven and a lil uncomfortable when I do different exercises. Maybe its my form or something, but even when I do pushups it feels weird because it feels like my right arm should be spread out further. Anyone know of anything like this?
Yeah, it's the muscle imbalances caused by you using your right arm/hand (I'm guessing you're right handed) for your daily activities for many years. The best way to balance this is to use dumbbells instead of the barbells, which forces you to isolate your arms.
Thanks a lot for the advice, but here's the thing. I started using only dumbbells thinking the same thing you were saying. However, the problem is causing that to still mess me up. My right shoulder is broader and my right chest muscle is wider and lower, which makes my right arm hang a little lower than my left. Now I try to do all dumbbell exercises, but when I do it even If I match my form perfectly with both arms, its working out dif muscles because my right side is technically in a different position (ex when my arms are right at my side, my right arm is tucked more than the left because in its natural state its different). Right after I work out is actually when the problem looks the worst and most uneven.
If anyones got anything itd be much appreciated

Originally Posted by scshift

Advice needed:

I started lifting about 2 months ago and I'm a pretty small dude that has never consistently lifted before. Things are going pretty well, but going into the whole process the right side of my body was always stronger (especially arms/ shoulders) just from me naturally favoring it my whole life in sports I guess. Either way since I started lifting, it seems more apparent to me that my right shoulder is broader which always makes my arms feel uneven and a lil uncomfortable when I do different exercises. Maybe its my form or something, but even when I do pushups it feels weird because it feels like my right arm should be spread out further. Anyone know of anything like this?
Yeah, it's the muscle imbalances caused by you using your right arm/hand (I'm guessing you're right handed) for your daily activities for many years. The best way to balance this is to use dumbbells instead of the barbells, which forces you to isolate your arms.
Thanks a lot for the advice, but here's the thing. I started using only dumbbells thinking the same thing you were saying. However, the problem is causing that to still mess me up. My right shoulder is broader and my right chest muscle is wider and lower, which makes my right arm hang a little lower than my left. Now I try to do all dumbbell exercises, but when I do it even If I match my form perfectly with both arms, its working out dif muscles because my right side is technically in a different position (ex when my arms are right at my side, my right arm is tucked more than the left because in its natural state its different). Right after I work out is actually when the problem looks the worst and most uneven.
If anyones got anything itd be much appreciated
No, you're overthinking it too much. The small differences won't matter unless the differences are like a completely different bone position or something. If it's really bad, then just work your left side of your body (probably not the best idea), but use dumbbells for a couple months than re evaluate.

scshift wrote:     No, you're overthinking it too much. The small differences won't matter unless the differences are like a completely different bone position or something. If it's really bad, then just work your left side of your body (probably not the best idea), but use dumbbells for a couple months than re evaluate. 
Thanks a lot man. Guess the reason it's worrying me is because right after I work out it always looks the worst. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong...

scshift wrote:     No, you're overthinking it too much. The small differences won't matter unless the differences are like a completely different bone position or something. If it's really bad, then just work your left side of your body (probably not the best idea), but use dumbbells for a couple months than re evaluate. 
Thanks a lot man. Guess the reason it's worrying me is because right after I work out it always looks the worst. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong...
Nah you're probably on the right track. My assumption is that after your workout your muscles look bigger (most people are like this), so the differences are enlarged. Just keep it independent for a while and it should work out.

Back
Top Bottom