Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

How can I better target my lower lats? It has to be with positioning of elbows or angle of hips during an exercise or something

Its incredibly difficult to target a certain part of a muscle group.

It's debated if its even possible.

my ab circuit..which you can actually do at home and all you need is an ab wheel

Full extension V-ups w/ab wheel
  • Lie flat on the ground, holding ab wheel and arms parallel to the ground. Kick and hold feet in the air at a 90 degree angle. Bring ab wheel to the tip of feet. Ab wheel isnt too bulky to the point where you can't get good positive/negative reps. (5 x 10)
Regular ab wheel extensions (full range)
  • I usually do this right after a set of V-ups. With my knees being the starting point (stem), I "branch" out evenly working from left to right and vice versa. (45 sec reps)
Butt-ups/crunches (whatever u wanna call em) with an office chair
  • Basically same thing as you do with the medicine ball, replaced with a moving office chair. Feet on the edge of the chair, with you outstreched. Tighten core and draw the chair into you then kick back out.  I like doing this last because by this time my core is burning..the added criteria of balancing yourself and the chair makes for quite the workout..don't do this on carpet lol.
This usually takes me 20-30 mins. I usually do it about an hr before bed..no reason behind that.

For those of you who've taken extended time away from the gym before, how did you cope with trying to get back into the swing of things? I've neglected myself for the past few months and I think I'm kinda depressed at how much fat I've gained, muscle I've lost, etc. I'm just having a rough time getting back into it.

Tips?

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

How can I better target my lower lats? It has to be with positioning of elbows or angle of hips during an exercise or something
Your lower lats?

It's like when people ask how to target their "inner chest muscles" more
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I remember some dude in Misc. started a troll thread..."How can I target my inner glute muscles"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously brett, I think you have obsessive compulsive disorder or something man. Whats with all these questions? Just work out regularly, eat as healthy as possible and assess your progress over the long run...I think variables like supplements, workout routine, macronutrient content ultimately make little difference in the end anyways.

Regular ab wheel extensions (full range)
  • I usually do this right after a set of V-ups. With my knees being the starting point (stem), I "branch" out evenly working from left to right and vice versa. (45 sec reps)
I read some article a few months ago (which I posted in here) that said ab wheel extensions were one of, if not the best ab isolation exercise out there.

For those of you who've taken extended time away from the gym before, how did you cope with trying to get back into the swing of things? I've neglected myself for the past few months and I think I'm kinda depressed at how much fat I've gained, muscle I've lost, etc. I'm just having a rough time getting back into it.

Tips?
We've all been there before. Just start off easy and do exercises you like and you'll get your motivation back in no time.

Originally Posted by alsquared

Can someone recommend me a good nitric oxide supplement?
Useless supplement.

Carlos -

Apparently a one arm seated cable row will target the lower lats. 
ohwell.gif
eyes.gif

^This guy
laugh.gif

"Lower lat development. The sweep of the lats is less effective if the lats do not extend all the way down to the waistline. Exercises to help you train the lower lats include one-arm cable rows and close grip movements such as close-grip chins and close-grip pulldowns."

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Arnold is your source?!

Wow.

Even if that were to be proven highly inaccurate I would take Arnold Schwarzenegger's advice on anything fitness related before I listened to something you had to say.

How many Mr. Olympia's do you have? I'll wait....
You're right.  Mr. Olympias do allow people to say anything they want.

Even if that were to beproven highly inaccurate I would take Arnold Schwarzenegger's advice onanything fitness related before I listened to something you had to say.
So you're taking Arnolds word over science?

Even if that were to beproven highly inaccurate I would take Arnold Schwarzenegger's advice onanything fitness related before I listened to something you had to say.

Not necessarily but it definitely makes his info a little more credible than yours. Not to mention, in your own post you said it was difficult, not impossible. But I guess its true what they say...."those who can't do, teach."
grin.gif

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Not necessarily but it definitely makes his info a little more credible than yours. Not to mention, in your own post you said it was difficult, not impossible. But I guess its true what they say...."those who can't do, teach."
grin.gif

You're speaking as though I'm just making stuff up.

I said its incredibly difficult to do and its debated if its even possible.

Think about it.  Does it even make sense that one part of a muscle would develop differently than the rest of the muscle?

Even if that were to be proven highly inaccurate I would take Arnold Schwarzenegger's advice on anything fitness related before I listened to something you had to say.

Dude, sometimes you really need to get off your high horse.  Some people are bodybuilders who train to shape their body a specific way, and yes, isolating and targeting muscle groups can affect the size and shape of a muscle, and yes, there are ways to target the lower-lats.  I know according to "science" your lats are your lats but if someone only does wide grip chins and lat pulldowns and builds up there teres major but never develops their lats, they need something that's going to hit the lats without overusing the teres major.  Underhand grip chins and bent rows, single arm rows, even deadlifts can prioritize the lats or "lower lats".  Nothing wrong with using bodybuilding terminology as a reference, and nothing wrong with getting some useful info from a 6-time Mr. Olympia.  You do give some helpful advice and info, but you're also very condicending towards people who don't approach training, nutrition, and supplementation through your own school of thought.

Good N.O. supps, if you've never taken any:
N.O. Shotgun by VPX, Jack3d (1 scoop doses), Superpump MAX in half doses.

If you've taken N.O. Supps for a while and are used to the stimulants:
Hemo Rage, 1 MR

Inner Chest Exercises:
Close Grip Bench Press, Medicine Ball Pushups (both hands on the medicine ball, fingers facing down.)

Go ahead and scientifically discredit me now...

durden, durden, durden.....

all i gotta say is many consider arnold a GOAT, id def listen to arnold........chest development i took that advice.

again

anybody have info on fst-7 training? seems its hard to find info on it.

I personally think there are numerous ways to target a specific muscle, noted in PanaRican's post. I can agree with that fact that no one muscle will be "isolated" but targeted is a term that has much broader meaning to me.....you can train several other muscles while targeting one specific muscle, but ultimately the targeted muscle is the one you're looking to work the most relative to the others in use.

Looking to get back into a lifting/cardio routine. have really been slacking.

Supplements I use while losing weight/getting back in shape: Whey, Multi, Fish Oil/BCAA, and simple caffeine pills for pre-workout.

I usually buy my ON 100% whey off BB.com, anywhere else to maybe get a cheaper price? Looking to get the 5LB or 10LB
BB.com usually has the best prices and extremely fast shipping

Originally Posted by alsquared

Can someone recommend me a good nitric oxide supplement?

Honestly if you're looking at NO supps...just try L-Arginine. Way better pumps than anything else I've tried (Plasma Jet, Superdump, Jack3d) but I do mix it with jack3d for the energy and focus

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

I personally think there are numerous ways to target a specific muscle, noted in PanaRican's post. I can agree with that fact that no one muscle will be "isolated" but targeted is a term that has much broader meaning to me.....you can train several other muscles while targeting one specific muscle, but ultimately the targeted muscle is the one you're looking to work the most relative to the others in use.
I agree with what you said, but the "targeted muscle" that was mentioned was an area of the muscle not the muscle as a whole.

Dude, sometimes you really need to get off your high horse.  Somepeople are bodybuilders who train to shape their body a specific way,and yes, isolating and targeting muscle groups can affect the size andshape of a muscle, and yes, there are ways to target the lower-lats.  Iknow according to "science" your lats are your lats but if someone onlydoes wide grip chins and lat pulldowns and builds up there teres majorbut never develops their lats, they need something that's going to hitthe lats without overusing the teres major.  Underhand grip chins andbent rows, single arm rows, even deadlifts can prioritize the lats or"lower lats".  Nothing wrong with using bodybuilding terminology as areference, and nothing wrong with getting some useful info from a6-time Mr. Olympia.  You do give some helpful advice and info, butyou're also very condicending towards people who don't approachtraining, nutrition, and supplementation through your own school ofthought.

Bodybuilders and science most often see things from a very different perspective, and this is one of those times.

If it comes across as condescending then so be it, but my goal isn't to put people down.  There's a TON of misinformation and impractical uses among most people who exercise.

durden, durden, durden.....

all i gotta say is many consider arnold a GOAT, id def listen to arnold........chest development i took that advice.
But he's the GOAT in terms of his physique.  It also all depends on who's calling him a GOAT

That's a totally different topic that isn't even worth getting into though.

yea true

an i agree with both sides so im neutral on this one lol.

hey durden i wanna Target my UPPER chest

what can i do? lol

carry on.

Obviously you can target certain muscles. I think we can all agree to this...thats why we do bench press for chest, military press for shoulders, etc. What I find to be strange is the notion that you can target certain areas of a muscle (i.e. lower lats, inner chest, etc etc). These exercises panarican pointed out do not necessarily target certain areas of the muscle but rather the overall muscles themselves. Muscles contract and relax and you cant target certain areas of your muscles to contract and relax. When you target a muscle, the entire muscle contracts. "OK...I'm gonna relax my upper chest while I work my inner chest on this exercise". It doesnt work that way
laugh.gif

It's the same with lats and other muscles...when you are doing exercises that target your lats, you are going to use the entire muscle, not just 1 portion of it.

Back
Top Bottom