Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by saxman2112

I see alot of people doing 5 reps. Aside from the bench press with a spot, a weight so heavy that you can only 5 reps seems dangerous to me. For example, in the workout video like two pages earlier, at the 2:20 mark the guy was doing too much weight and his form suffered.

I'm thinking that the last thing you want to do is get injured while lifting.

I'm a big fan of the 5-rep system for the big three.  It's just that the number one rule of lifting is always always always form > weight.

Same here.
More 5/6 reps for compound lifts is kind of foolish imo.

Of course form is important but when you're lifting heavy consistently injuries are going to come now and again. Just last week I was doing platform deadlifts and on my last set, 5th rep I felt a pop/ stretching in my lower back. All of a sudden I though "oh +##%, here we go again"
laugh.gif
Turns out it was a glute strain and not a back strain  so I got very lucky this time. It's been 8 days and I (think) I'm near full recovery. If it was a back strain it'd take at least 6 weeks to fully recover.

I would say if (you think) you're lifting heavy and you're not sustaining injuries here and there (both big and small) then you're def. not lifting that heavy (relative to your capabilities). The most important thing is knowing how to deal with certain injuries and work around them as well as letting the effected area fully recover.
roll.gif
  You strained a buttcheek.  My weightlifting goals aren't that serious to where I'm willing to accept injuries here and there.  One of my main goals is not to injure myself in any way.  I'm not getting paid to lift. 
It is funny but you also have to remember you can strain your groin.
sick.gif
Groin strains are pretty painful.

Seriously though. One of your goals cannot be "not injuring myself." That's akin to saying, " I want to go through life without taking any "L's" ."
All you can try to do is prevent injuries by taking the necessary precautions and training in the proper way.

I was doing barbell shrugs yesterday. 201lbs and I'm 165lbs. I went for the 6th rep and felt a pop in my rightside/rear back int he rib area. I've been hurting for a couple of days now....DAMIT

and what's with all these redirects?

actually that would be a great goal not to take L's in life, I think your missing what dude is saying. To me he's saying he doesn't want to push it in the weight room especially if he has no spotter and his form isn't good which leads to injury.

I would say the same thing for myself I'm not going to push beyond what i'm normally willing to push for an extra rep or two if I know that it will probably lead to injury. Everyone knows their limits beyond that wall we all hit in the weight room. I think it's important to have a good understanding of what your capable of because it's not worth an injury from an extra rep or so to be sidelined for it.

I think what he's saying is more akin to someone knowing their limits when drinking and then having to drive afterwards.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

actually that would be a great goal not to take L's in life, I think your missing what dude is saying. To me he's saying he doesn't want to push it in the weight room especially if he has no spotter and his form isn't good which leads to injury.

I would say the same thing for myself I'm not going to push beyond what i'm normally willing to push for an extra rep or two if I know that it will probably lead to injury. Everyone knows their limits beyond that wall we all hit in the weight room. I think it's important to have a good understanding of what your capable of because it's not worth an injury from an extra rep or so to be sidelined for it.

I think what he's saying is more akin to someone knowing their limits when drinking and then having to drive afterwards.
If you goal in life is not take L's then you wouldn't have much of a life. It's like playing "prevent" defense.
laugh.gif

I don't want to get hit by a car. That doesn't mean I should never cross a street.

I'm not advising training outside one's limits. You do that and you'll get nowhere.
All I'm saying is that injuries are part and parcel of any physical activity. They happen even if you do virtually everything in the correct way. They're not to be feared.
All you try to do is prevent the big injuries that can have a major impact.

brettTHEjett- Dude. Gettign injured doing shrugs is one of those things you should try to prevent.
laugh.gif

Is it your shoulder or more your rib cage?

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

If you goal in life is not take L's then you wouldn't have much of a life. It's like playing "prevent" defense.
laugh.gif

I don't want to get hit by a car. That doesn't mean I should never cross a street.

I'm not advising training outside one's limits. You do that and you'll get nowhere.
All I'm saying is that injuries are part and parcel of any physical activity. They happen even if you do virtually everything in the correct way.
All you try to do is prevent the big injuries that can have a major impact.
Alright I can see where your coming from, you clarified it a bit for me.  I agree.

How the hell do you get injured doing shrugs?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I think that injuries are preventable for most people.

Wawa's goals are different from Grimlock's goals.

If you're a power lifter, pushing your limits and risking injury just to squeeze out one rep is essential. If you're working out just to be healthy or for aesthitical purposes, risking injury for 1-2 extra reps is not worth it at all and it's not even going to prevent you from achieving your goals.

I've worked out for years now and I've only injured myself once when I tried doing a 1 rep-max of deadlifts. I think that if you know your limits and use proper form, injuries can be avoided.

If you shrug and roll you shoulders forward or back at any point you could injure your shoulders. Shrugs should just be straight up, squeeze the traps, straight down.

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

If you shrug and roll you shoulders forward or back at any point you could injure your shoulders. Shrugs should just be straight up, squeeze the traps, straight down.
Word. Anytime i see an idiot do a roll in their shoulder shrug i just SMH

Originally Posted by saxman2112

I see alot of people doing 5 reps. Aside from the bench press with a spot, a weight so heavy that you can only 5 reps seems dangerous to me. For example, in the workout video like two pages earlier, at the 2:20 mark the guy was doing too much weight and his form suffered.

I'm thinking that the last thing you want to do is get injured while lifting.

I'm a big fan of the 5-rep system for the big three.  It's just that the number one rule of lifting is always always always form > weight.

Same here.
More 5/6 reps for compound lifts is kind of foolish imo.

Of course form is important but when you're lifting heavy consistently injuries are going to come now and again. Just last week I was doing platform deadlifts and on my last set, 5th rep I felt a pop/ stretching in my lower back. All of a sudden I though "oh +##%, here we go again"
laugh.gif
Turns out it was a glute strain and not a back strain  so I got very lucky this time. It's been 8 days and I (think) I'm near full recovery. If it was a back strain it'd take at least 6 weeks to fully recover.

I would say if (you think) you're lifting heavy and you're not sustaining injuries here and there (both big and small) then you're def. not lifting that heavy (relative to your capabilities). The most important thing is knowing how to deal with certain injuries and work around them as well as letting the effected area fully recover.
roll.gif
  You strained a buttcheek.  My weightlifting goals aren't that serious to where I'm willing to accept injuries here and there.  One of my main goals is not to injure myself in any way.  I'm not getting paid to lift. 
It is funny but you also have to remember you can strain your groin.
sick.gif
Groin strains are pretty painful.

Seriously though. One of your goals cannot be "not injuring myself." That's akin to saying, " I want to go through life without taking any "L's" ."
All you can try to do is prevent injuries by taking the necessary precautions and training in the proper way.
Ok, I was exaggerating when  I said "not injuring myself in any way".  It's really just certain lifts that I'm more careful with.  For ex.  I am very careful about going too heavy on squats and deadlifts because I don't want to injure my back.  Another exercise that I'm careful with is the preacher curl because your arm is kinda in an angle. 

I'm more so talking about certain lifts that I just think doing 5 reps with max weight is way riskier than others.  

Ok, I was exaggerating when  I said "not injuring myself in any way".  It's really just certain lifts that I'm more careful with.  For ex.  I am very careful about going too heavy on squats and deadlifts because I don't want to injure my back.  Another exercise that I'm careful with is the preacher curl because your arm is kinda in an angle. 

I'm more so talking about certain lifts that I just think doing 5 reps with max weight is way riskier than others.  

I see what you're saying and you're right in this context. The closer you get to your 1rm the more apt you are to get injured/ more severe injuries.

At heavier weights you see  more strain injuries. At light weights you tend to see more  injuries of the overuse (i.e. tendinitis) variety.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

Word. Anytime i see an idiot do a roll in their shoulder shrug i just SMH
I don't understand why people roll their shoulders, they are killing their rotary cuff smh. *#@@ is a simple shrug.

Just got done reading this
http://www.bodybuilding.c...-heart-healthy-foods.htm
I started eating more and more grapefruit this semester, glad I've done so.

Kinda controversial. Contradicts alot of convention wisdom when it comes to getting ripped.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by marath0n

Kinda controversial. Contradicts alot of convention wisdom when it comes to getting ripped.

Thoughts?
It's hard to know what he's talking about exactly because he doesn't go into much depth, but overall I agree. It's not unconventional at all.  Without reading his book, I'm guessing he's saying that nutrition has to do exclusively with fat loss/gain because you can workout as hard as you want to, but if you eat more calories than you burn, you're going to gain fat regardless, which is true.  Likewise, you can eat as much protein as you want, but you're not going to build muscle unless you workout your muscles properly.  There's a research paper I read somewhere that said that protein synthesis after a workout can be increased by ingesting as little as 6 grams of protein post workout, and  any more than that doesn't increase it.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

chewtoy, you already got certified?
Not yet, but I'm close to done.

Okay, today is the beginning of my 4 week plan to start getting right for soccer. I'm not trying to lose weight because I'm already at a good 160 pounds. My goal is to work on my endurance, stamina, and tone.

I don't want to go to the gym aimlessly. I want to put together a decent routine that'll help me reach my goals. Any tips? What exercises should I do while there? And what about the repetitions? Any help is appreciated.

I was thinking that. What specific exercises should I add into a particular circuit though?

Pull up, push ups, and sit ups are essential, but what else? I'll be using my school's gym by the way.

Pretty good video. I agree with the majority of it. Fitnessblackbook.com is a great site for regular guys that aren't interested in hitting their genetic potential in strength or size, but for people that want to be healthy and look good. I definitely a recommend it.

watchin these clips from the arnold....Phil Heath's progress is REMARKABLE!

But training with Dorian Yates gave Kai the discipline to repeat....Yates had Kai in PAIN [pause]

Back
Top Bottom