Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The runaway slave angle was blatant to me. I knew nothing of this film going in and the way they shot the scene where finn takes off his helmet, it was obvious that him being black was significant. It surprised me :lol:. Then he talks about being kidnapped, not knowing his family etc. Blatant slave parallels but I thought it made the story interesting. That's also why I'm thinking finn will go back to save the other slaves. I wouldn't be surprised if all the troopers are black but that might be too controversial :lol:

Bro, I am black, and I have to say that is kind of reaching. It's so clear that Finn is a on the Han Solo Arch. Han Solo's character wasn't fully formed until episode 6. This is loosely shadowing episodes 3-6.

This whole thing is weird to me. In one hand, a whole lot a white people are mad that a black actor was given a prominent role in this new Star Wars trilogy. In the other, you have a whole lot a black people who are mad that Finn's role wasn't portrayed as the Jedi embodiment of Shaft. I don't get it!

Nobody can win with the black community. Not even black ppl.

I remember when Gabby Douglas won gold in the Olympics and the day after, all the black community could talk about was her fake hair.

Always something lol.

Aint no such thing as a black community, so a group of black people being ignorant does not speak for all people who may be black. Lol

Bro, I am black, and I have to say that is kind of reaching. It's so clear that Finn is a on the Han Solo Arch. Han Solo's character wasn't fully formed until episode 6. This is loosely shadowing episodes 3-6.

This whole thing is weird to me. In one hand, a whole lot a white people are mad that a black actor was given a prominent role in this new Star Wars trilogy. In the other, you have a whole lot a black people who are mad that Finn's role wasn't portrayed as the Jedi embodiment of Shaft. I don't get it!

White nerds were pissed because they thought Finn was going to be the next luke, when it turned out to be other wise they were cool, black nerds were pissed because Finn was marketed to be the next luke or so ppl thought and it turned out to be other wise.

Lol somebody find me any star wars promo stuff where a non jedi is holding a light saber.

I'm just saying it's always something.

If Finn ended up being a kick *** person, there'd probably be another complaint.

Maybe it'll be that he acts too white or why does he have to have a white love interest.

I feel like there's always going to be something.

I'm just saying it's always something.

If Finn ended up being a kick *** person, there'd probably be another complaint.

Maybe it'll be that he acts too white or why does he have to have a white love interest.

I feel like there's always going to be something.

You speak as if there are movies that there hasnt been a large number of black people that root for the black hero. Lol just say you enjoy Finns portrayal and leave it there, because all that "blacks are never satisfied" stuff you are talking is BS. Just go into the Creed thread, nobody is talking about Adonis in a negative light.

So black people should supress their feelings about a topic because a White guy sees no problem with the portrayal of a black character?

That sounds fimilar lol.

PS. I dont dig deep into the star wars stuff its just a movie, i wont call finn a slave but it cant be denied they marketed him like he was going to be the big bad new jedi hero. You cant find any star wars marketing where a non jedi yields a light saber on it. Who knows what finn will develop into though.

C'mon b. I'm not trying to suppress/oppress black people :smh:

I'm just saying that I think people, black, white, whatever, need to just let Finn's story play out. Like others are saying, he's a main character in the biggest movie franchise the world has ever seen and his future looks very, very bright.

I guess people will see what they want to see. With Finn I saw a guy who wanted to do the right thing and defected from the "bad guys" to become a good guy and be a part of something that was redeeming. shrugs

C'mon b. I'm not trying to suppress/oppress black people :smh:

I'm just saying that I think people, black, white, whatever, need to just let Finn's story play out. Like others are saying, he's a main character in the biggest movie franchise the world has ever seen and his future looks very, very bright.

I guess people will see what they want to see. With Finn I saw a guy who wanted to do the right thing and defected from the "bad guys" to become a good guy and be a part of something that was redeeming. shrugs

I didnt say you were opressing anyone, Im saying nobody cares that you are white.

Finn was my favorite character of the film & now that I've seen the film twice if argue Finn is the main protagonist of the first half or 3/4 and then we switch to Rey he reminds me of mad max kinda in how he moves the story along

I thought they were marketing Finn and Rey to make you wonder who they were. They didn't want you to expect anything. Him holding a lightsaber was supposed to make you ask more questions, not automatically expect he was on his way to becoming a bad *** Jedi... Especially after looking so shook in the trailers.

Also him taking off his helmet was supposed to highlight how he was human and his emotions, not his race :lol: We never got to see a Stormtrooper take off his helmet in the OT, so it was supposed to feel like a reveal in that way.

Last edited:
which Kylo ren helmet do you guys own? 
nerd.gif

I thought they were marketing Finn and Rey to make you wonder who they were. They didn't want you to expect anything. Him holding a lightsaber was supposed to make you ask more questions, not automatically expect he was on his way to becoming a bad *** Jedi... Especially after looking so shook in the trailers.

Why wouldnt that be the case. When in any marketing promo, trailer video game etc has there been a character holding a lightsaber thats not a jedi.

There was no need for the twist. Just say from the start that rey is the jedi/ likes daughter, give her the lightsaber for good and be done with it. It isnt that big of a deal.

There isnt any need for misdirection like in the promos and trailers.

People were interested because the angle of a black rogue storm trooper turning out to be the jedi that saves everybody is a more interesting story than the destined orphaned kid on a desert planet similar to tattoine doing the same thing. Marketing knew what they were doing

Last edited:

Also him taking off his helmet was supposed to highlight how he was human and his emotions, not his race :lol: We never got to see a Stormtrooper take off his helmet in the OT, so it was supposed to feel like a reveal in that way.

The thing is with all this sci fi culture, while it is cool that people come up with all these theories it is also detrimental. Like I said before you can't find any Star Wars promotional stuff with a Non Jedi holding a Light Saber, so why is it a crime for people to expect Finn to be a Jedi? lol. 1+1 = 2, so you can't get mad at people for questioning someone telling them 1+1=3.

The Hype is what people caught in which is why nobody wants to hear what Finn will eventually become, because Hype had people feeling Finn would at a minimum show traits that he would become that dude if not be that dude off rip. Finn literally displayed nothing in this film to show us he may become greater, we are only ASSUMING he will be the next Han now, same way people ASSUMED Finn was supposed to be the next Luke. So then what happens is Poe is the next Han? lol. All this ASSUMING is just making ***** out of everyone at the end of the day.

It's JJ Abrams. He loves to misdirect and keep things a mystery even in marketing.

The trailers barely lay out anything, about the characters or the story. It's your problem that you assumed the story would be a "black rogue Stormtrooper turning out to be a Jedi that saves everyone" just because he held a damn lightsaber.

The fact that Jedis usually hold lightsabers is supposed to make you wonder what Finn's story is and how he gets to hold one... Not lay out his whole arc for you. If you assumed more from it, that's fine... But that's on you.

Last edited:
It's JJ Abrams. He loves to misdirect and keep things a mystery even in marketing.

The trailers barely lay out anything, about the characters or the story. It's your problem that you assumed the story would be a "black rogue Stormtrooper turning out to be a Jedi that saves everyone" just because he held a damn lightsaber.

uh no, thats what we knew from the start. We knew since the first or second trailer that he's a storm trooper that went rogue, meets Rey and they eventually run into Han Solo and Finn is the only character shown holding a lightsaber. None of that stuff needed to be shown if it wasn't important to the story or even going to happen.

And its not really a mystery at all. its just showing scenes from the movie that aren't indicative of the actual plot.

Last edited:
uh The "...and becomes a Jedi that saves everyone" part wasn't known from the start. Because it didn't happen.

That was your assumption just because he was shown with a lightsaber, which turned out to be wrong. My point is that it's on you for assuming that part of it.

Last edited:

The thing is with all this sci fi culture, while it is cool that people come up with all these theories it is also detrimental. Like I said before you can't find any Star Wars promotional stuff with a Non Jedi holding a Light Saber, so why is it a crime for people to expect Finn to be a Jedi? lol. 1+1 = 2, so you can't get mad at people for questioning someone telling them 1+1=3.

The Hype is what people caught in which is why nobody wants to hear what Finn will eventually become, because Hype had people feeling Finn would at a minimum show traits that he would become that dude if not be that dude off rip. Finn literally displayed nothing in this film to show us he may become greater, we are only ASSUMING he will be the next Han now, same way people ASSUMED Finn was supposed to be the next Luke. So then what happens is Poe is the next Han? lol. All this ASSUMING is just making ***** out of everyone at the end of the day.

People should get called out for assuming something, then acting like there's a huge issue because there's a difference between their own personal assumption and the real movie :lol: The trailers or marketing never explicitly laid anything out. They didn't tell you one thing about the black guy (or anyone else) and then give you something different.

You could've assumed whatever you wanted based on the teasers... That's not a "crime." But let's not turn around and say "they promised us that Finn would be X and he wasn't, there's a problem with that" because they didn't promise us anything.

Last edited:
People should get called out for assuming something, then turning around and acting like there's a huge issue when their assumptions aren't right :lol: The trailers or marketing never explicitly laid anything out. They didn't tell you one thing about the black guy (or anyone else) and give you something different, period.

You could've assumed whatever you wanted based on the teasers... That's not a "crime." But let's not turn around and say "they promised us that Finn would be X and he wasn't, there's a problem with that" because they didn't promise us anything.

It is disingenuous to act like Marketing happens with no intent. The purpose of Marketing is to create feelings in viewers to get them to go out and see the film. Lets not take it that far.

Of course marketing happens with intent to create feelings (I never suggested otherwise); that's beside my point. I said it's fine if people assume/ feel whatever they want from these teasers, right or wrong.

It's just stupid to take it further, and make an issue out of the the movie not following through on one of those personal assumptions.

Last edited:
Of course marketing happens with intent to create feelings (I never suggested otherwise); that's completely beside my point. I said it's fine if people assume/ feel whatever they want from these teasers, right or wrong.

It's just stupid to take it further, and make an issue out of the the movie not following through on one of those personal assumptions.

Being wrong does not defeat the fact that Marketing Mislead, the discussion is on the fact Marketing was a Bait and Switch, all people are doing is having discussion lol Only thing I can see as "taking it further" is calling for boycotts or something. People discussing their feelings of Finn's portrayal is no different than the thousands of discussions Star Wars fans are having as we speak of what they feel will happen in the next films.

Finn is pretty much a child soldier who's know an adult being conditioned to a "warp ideology/ cult-like thinking" of government trying to escape that way of life/thinking....

That's how I see it. Plain and simple...

Child soldier? lol dude was a garbage man and on his first time in the field he punked out. Thats hardly a "child soldier"

whats sad is this was actually turned into a scene in the movie :lol:
FF 10 years and those same kind of cgi scenes are done better cuz ppl dress up in green suits with white balls all over their face and body to make the scenes look better.

Granted I think they were fighting a bunch of droids.
In short he was basically saying that black people have to stop being "happy" just because someone with dark skinned is casted in a major film and instead they should look at how the person is used.

He said Finn is a weak hero, that got his *** whooped the whole film, chasing after a white woman, got his name from a white man (shades of slavery). 

The key parts start around 30:00 mark
Sounds like Osh's complaints about Finn were better fleshed out.
Finn was Jar Jar Binks.
Now that's a reach.

Jar Jar was comic relief solely. Finn is arguably the main character of the movie.

Reaching how? The character is a runaway slave by definition. I'm not a huge star wars fan so my perspective is different, even still I can see that Finn has room to grow and become a big hero. And it's definitely a black character, dialogue like "we all look like this" just doesn't have the same impact if he's not black or otherwise different from everyone else in the film. Far as your second paragraph that has nothing to do with me, I'm not mad at all :lol:.

Like I said I'm not a huge star wars fan so for someone that never saw a trailer and came into the film with a blank slate, the reveal came across almost like a plot twist. We already knew he was human when his conscience wouldn't let him participate in the massacre, they did a good job establishing that he wasn't just a mindless drone. Then there's a dramatic scene where a guy in an all white uniform, troopers kind of have a certain voice and he takes off his helmet to reveal a black dude. I didn't expect it and if it weren't for the trailers I think not many would have. Then the fact that it's a black guy and a white woman as the lead, to me they're trying to appeal to a different market. That's just my interpretation and you don't have to agree with it.

Back
Top Bottom