Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wasn't Finn originally supposed to be white? They gave a young black kid from the hood a chance that doesn't really exist for us, we should celebrate that instead of trying to tear the young man down. That's some crab in a barrel ****. Is it possible his point is valid? Sure, but have yall stopped to think every single time we make a step forward, one of our own has to attach some negativity to it? It's pathetic. Let's celebrate growth and strength instead of whining.
Yea touched on that thought process. He doesn't feel that in 2015, we should still be "celebrating" a black dude getting a role in a major film. That happening at this point in history shouldn't still be considered "growth and progress."

I hear what you are saying but the conversation should be held I think and I don't think he was taking a dump on dude by any stretch. More so how he was portrayed in the movie.

I hear what you are saying though.

Not saying racism doesn't exist, but in Finn's case, I think it's just people reaching because they wanted the lead black character to kick ***.

Last edited:
Yea he said that if the character was white, he would have gotten his revenge at some point in the film. He said Finn got whooped, ended up in a coma throughout the last stage of the movie (WHich actually makes me want to see the movie now :lol:  ).

He challenged anyone to find a weaker white hero in a film that never got vengeance at the end.

The he said that many folks were saying, "Wait until the next film to see him develop" and how that ties into black people always expecting things to get better in the future even though we have been "waiting" for hundreds of years for things to be right.

Like I said, I haven't seen it, just seeing if folks saw what he saw.

One of my boys saw it and said the portrayal of Finn kinda got in the way of him enjoying the movie as much as he should have.

But go listen. 

Man I'm a Tariq fan going all the way to his first Mack lessons radio international week , but he was reaching big time on the last episode . Dudes straight up trying to debate him and he dismisses them as nerds or part of the problem . I'm no Star Wars fan like that but Finn was damn near the most important character in the movie . Tariq has some valid points but when he reaches he looks like me at the end of space jam, he ain't trying to take the l on his views of the movie though cause I would of debated with him on it but I already know how it's gonna end , lol

Yeah I follow Tariq a lot as well but he's being a little extreme on this issue. Yes Finn's character is tongue-in-cheek a...runaway slave but I think the initial reaction comes from advertisement portraying Finn as the protagonist when he was really just a side comic relief.... It's Star Wars though. I love it cause it makes me escape reality, not remind me of it

Tariq is reaching and hate he tried to sully a good film with this type of talk.

Yeah I follow Tariq a lot as well but he's being a little extreme on this issue. Yes Finn's character is tongue-in-cheek a...runaway slave but I think the initial reaction comes from advertisement portraying Finn as the protagonist when he was really just a side comic relief.... It's Star Wars though. I love it cause it makes me escape reality, not remind me of it

Tariq is reaching and hate he tried to sully a good film with this type of talk.

I didn't even see the runaway slave aspect honestly I took him as the reluctant hero who only knew the first order. Finn was a great character dude had that regular guy aura the whole film .

Got some tickets tonight for an IMAX 3D showing with my girl. Is the film not showing in 2D IMAX or are the theaters around me just not showing it in that format?

Last edited:
The runaway slave angle was blatant to me. I knew nothing of this film going in and the way they shot the scene where finn takes off his helmet, it was obvious that him being black was significant. It surprised me :lol:. Then he talks about being kidnapped, not knowing his family etc. Blatant slave parallels but I thought it made the story interesting. That's also why I'm thinking finn will go back to save the other slaves. I wouldn't be surprised if all the troopers are black but that might be too controversial :lol:

I just wanted finn to at least beat somebody ***. Like couldn't he have beaten that storm trooper with the shock baton. like give the man 1 win

Lol Osh Kosh Bosh

One of the posters here

I was making a joke

I thought that's who you were talking about lol but I thought it was something deeper to lol pause

I just wanted finn to at least beat somebody ***. Like couldn't he have beaten that storm trooper with the shock baton. like give the man 1 win

Yeah I feel you in that . Atleast he got a few tie fighters on his belt and fired up the light saber a few times . He did catch some L's though but he didn't go out like a sucker in any of them

Last edited:
He's trained but he hasn't even seen battle or even real life yet. He'll take some L's in his growth. Boyega is so happy right now, **** like this gotta take the wind outta his sails. This happens every time without fail. You want to talk about conditioning, this is a big part of that.

Yea man. This kinda talk probably has Boyega down smh.

Finn is a perfectly good role. He did well. He deserves to celebrate instead of worrying about pleasing the black community.

He's trained but he hasn't even seen battle or even real life yet. He'll take some L's in his growth. Boyega is so happy right now, **** like this gotta take the wind outta his sails. This happens every time without fail. You want to talk about conditioning, this is a big part of that.

truth the only thing wrong with Finns character was his accent slipping a bit in some scenes . He said full con instead of falcon and it was a few other words if I we wanna nitpick about his portrayal

Yea man. This kinda talk probably has Boyega down smh.

Finn is a perfectly good role. He did well. He deserves to celebrate instead of worrying about pleasing the black community.

I don't think it has anything to with Bodega to tell the truth. he's an actor who just acts the character. He's not writing the film or anything and I don't think people are looking at him as some sort of savior. I put all of my criticisms on JJ not the actors

and I don't really think finn is a perfectly good role. Just like I don't think Rey or Poe are perfectly good roles. He's better than those two but I think that more could have been done with all of them, especially him

Last edited:
I find it so sad that we can't just enjoy a great movie for what it is. I'm a white guy and I loved Finn and his role and how Boyega played the character. Ya'll reading making SO much from so little.

I find it so sad that we can't just enjoy a great movie for what it is. I'm a white guy and I loved Finn and his role and how Boyega played the character. Ya'll reading making SO much from so little.

So black people should supress their feelings about a topic because a White guy sees no problem with the portrayal of a black character?

That sounds fimilar lol.

PS. I dont dig deep into the star wars stuff its just a movie, i wont call finn a slave but it cant be denied they marketed him like he was going to be the big bad new jedi hero. You cant find any star wars marketing where a non jedi yields a light saber on it. Who knows what finn will develop into though.

Runaway slave thing I didn't see while watching the movie but I get it. Wish he would have got more wins than he did but I'm happy he's in the movie. Just hopes he shines more next movie.

Last edited:
Runaway slave thing I didn't see while watching the movie but I get it. Wish he would have got more wins than he did but I'm happy he's in the movie. Just hopes he shines more next movie.

I really dont think there would be an issue if they didnt market dude like he was going to be That Dude from the jump, if he was going to be a clown OR if he was going to be the scary dude who grows into becomig a hero they didnt have to market him in the promos where every time you see him he is wielding a light saber and stuff. The way they marketed him people were expecting big things out the gate. Now look at how they marketed Rey, in all the promo youd think she was just the supporting actress opposed to being who people thought Finn would be. It was the same Bait and Switch they pulled with Mad Max where it was really Feriousa (sp) and friends opposed to being a Mad max film lol

Nobody can win with the black community. Not even black ppl.

I remember when Gabby Douglas won gold in the Olympics and the day after, all the black community could talk about was her fake hair.

Always something lol.

Boyega shouldn't feel any type of way about this truth be told. Bottom line is he's a main character in the biggest movie franchise of all time. Had more screen time than Driver, Fisher and Hamill combined

Back
Top Bottom