(Spoilers) ASOIAF Books Discussion (All Books Read Edition) (Spoilers)

Must suck for the benjen actor. He's been off the show way longer than even rickon and Osha bae were.

Ya it seems like next episode we see more of Bran and Meera and they seem to be in some ****. If Benjen shows up in episode 10 then they're gonna stretch out this escape from the Night's King for a few episodes.

I don't know if anyone pays attention to a YouTube channel called EmergencyAwesome but the dude does great reviews and analysis of GoT and comicbooks/movies. He did a QA for the last episodes and he made two interesting points.

1. Bran's mark from the Night's King allow him to travel through the magic barrier around the cave. If Bran makes it through the wall does that mean the Night's King will be able to follow? 
nerd.gif
 Posted this in the show thread but moves fast.

2. The direwolves hive died because a Stark f'ed up.

Sansa lied about the Geoff/Arya/Butcher's Boy - Lady dies.

Rob breaks his vow to Walder Frey - Grey Wind dies

Bran warged into the past when he wasn't supposed to - Summer dies.

Rickon hasn't messed up yet which makes me believe that wasn't shaggy dog.

Arya hasn't messed up and Neymeria is alive. 

Jon hasn't messed up...like the others and Ghost still lives. 

Looks like the wolves die as a consequence of the master messing up. 

I didn't catch this Benjen/Coldhands/Mystery challenger clip from the trailer. Guess it's real:

coldhands.gif

The wolves fates are directly tied to their owners so of course something horrible happening to the owners results in their deaths. fiercely loyal creatures that won't leave their sides will always catch the L when their owners does. The theory doesn't work, because Jon has messed up once or twice, and Qorin/Ygritte die.

I like my (im sure millions of others said the same) metaphor of the wolves' names/meanings theory better: Summer died, signaling the end of summer and arrival of winter. The others can now pass the wall and head south.

Summer is finished. Winter is no longer coming. It's here and real.

Besides Ned Stark name one ward/hostage that was killed in custody on the show?

Yes, Ned was killed by a psycho, and yes Ramsay is a psycho, but Joffrey didn't need Ned. Ramsay very much so recognizes that he needs Rickon. He also saw how killing Ned in captivity rallied the North and what it did to Joffrey and the Lannisters. Rickon in captivity forces people to tread lightly, at least until he gets Sansa or Arya back. Killing Rickon without an heir just further fuels the uprising his father warned him about and leaves him with an illegitimate claim.

I don't see how any of you can reason out the logic it would take for him to kill Rickon prior to capturing Sansa. Especially when they went through the theatrics of showing Rickon being handed over, the fact that it'd be a waste of a story, and that we don't need any more fuel for the Ramsay hate fire. Unless your argument is just "Ramsay is crazy and everything is nihilistic, it doesn't need meaning!" in which, yeah I'd like to think the writers are better than that.
Ramsay only needs Rickon in order to get Sansa back. And in what world does he believe Jon will return Sansa to him so that Rickon can live. First off he is a psycho like you said so who would trust him anyway? Rickon being alive is only a threat to his hold on the north. Rickon is the heir to Winterfell yes so why leave him alive to have the north rally against you. Having Sansa was important because it made the Boltons new position as the Wardens of the north and Lords of Winterfell stronger. Rickon is only good to him if it helps him get sansa back which it wont. We know that in Episode 9 Jon/Sansa's army face him at Winterfell so they obviously didnt trade her for Rickon.

I don't see how any of you can reason out the logic it would take for him to kill Rickon prior to capturing Sansa.
Sansa helps solidify his hold on the North Rickon threatens it. She isnt going to trade herself in for himl. So a dead Rickon is better than a live one.

I beleive the show is streamlining the story and this is a way to cut out the whole Rickon storyline.

Last edited:
Should just start up the poll in here to see who thinks Rickon makes it our alive this season.

I'll tell you one thing, I'll stick around to take my licks in here if it doesn't happen. Unlike Lord Salt. :lol:

lol dont blame me ive been in the show thread and posted a handful of times since the season started. just moves to fast :rofl:

yea and they're not making the mistake of having sansa be vulnerable ever again after that backlash they got from last season. people still talkling about how shes the new female hero of the show...

so with that said Rickon gotta go. I dont think he makes to ep 10.

Not sure what that is but I'm saying he doesn't make it. I also think they are gonna cut Sam from the show as well. He doesn't really have a purpose anymore in the show. Don't think he's gonna get killed tho

Last edited:
Shall we have a friendly rep bet. If rickon makes it through the season or not
In all fairness, if Ramsay kills Rickon and then Jon rides in to try to avenge him, it'll basically be the (Spoiler Alert) House Forrester storyline from the telltale games. Not sure they'd do that. Or maybe they would. I doubt it though.
Not sure what that is but I'm saying he doesn't make it. I also think they are gonna cut Sam from the show as well. He doesn't really have a purpose anymore in the show. Don't think he's gonna get killed tho
Yeah, you don't get the show.

In all fairness, if Ramsay kills Rickon and then Jon rides in to try to avenge him, it'll basically be the (Spoiler Alert) House Forrester storyline from the telltale games. Not sure they'd do that. Or maybe they would. I doubt it though.

Yeah, you don't get the show.
I get it just fine

^ If there's 1 to 1.5/2 seasons left and Sam in the books will be the source of a lot of lost knowledge about alchemy and maestery and the sort, how will cutting him from the show make sense?

Better yet, if they're wasting the time to introduce his family NOW, 6 eps into season 6, and then show his journey to the citadel, how does cutting him make any sense? Particularly when you can waste that time on more important storylines or fan service.

Last edited:
^ If there's 1 to 1.5/2 seasons left and Sam in the books will be the source of a lot of lost knowledge about alchemy and maestery and the sort, how will cutting him from the show make sense?

Better yet, if they're wasting the time to introduce his family NOW, 6 eps into season 6, and then show his journey to the citadel, how does cutting him make any sense? Particularly when you can waste that time on more important storylines or fan service.
I feel what your saying. I just don't see how they are going to squeeze all that into 1.5 seasons that are left after this season. I think something totally unexpected is going to happen when he goes home. Also I still wonder what GRRM is going to do with his character at the citadel. I don't see him earning a maester chain in the span of 2 books and coming back to the wall.

Sam dying, I don't know, I just don't see it.

But what do I know, I have Little Finger dying this season *shrugs*

Anything's possible

Sam dying, I don't know, I just don't see it.

But what do I know, I have Little Finger dying this season *shrugs*

Anything's possible
I don't think he will die although this is GOT and anyone can get it. His father did warn him what would happen if he ever saw him again.

^^^ and Tarly will be even more upset that Sam is becoming a maester.

Maybe Sam somehow goes through some trials and tribulations and is able to get Heartsbane to the Wall? :nerd: They could use some Valyrian steel there I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom