Some of these teacher salaries are INSANELY low...

NY is where it’s at. Long as I have no dependents my healthcare is free and the pension is 70% of my final 3 or 5 year average (don’t remember exactly), which is pretty decent when you factor in that we top out at the moment at like 120k. Plus I get an annuity that I can feed into which gives 7% fixed. This is an exception however and not enough places treat you as well as NYC does (and even then we are underpaid for all the reasons you named)

My friends are teachers in Vegas and they all love it. I know they do alright.

My best friend coaches basketball there too. He stays super busy but i can tell he loves it. A lot of his kids got their choice of d1 school to go to.

Yes, I do, hair cuttery.
Try having 5, it’s tough but we all work together as a community for the kids. And if that means for a teacher to keep an extra eye out due to my work hours and her thanking me for tipping her for going beyond ....who are you to judge pleighboi...

Try having 5, it’s tough but we all work together as a community for the kids. And if that means for a teacher to keep an extra eye out due to my work hours and her thanking me for tipping her for going beyond ....who are you to judge pleighboi...

Who's judging u, bruh? I'm not losing any sleep over your situation or work hours...we're just simply chatting.

If you got something worked out w/ the teacher where she's watching your kids later than her contract hours to do you a favor, then by all means, give her a gift.

Just curious about the situation...is this like a preschool or something or an afterschool program?

Heard this on the radio on my way to work... Denver is hella expensive. I live un Thornton, 20 miles north and I'm paying $1,200 for a 1 bedroom apartment, 650 square feet. That was the least expensive place that wasn't a **** hole.

With that being said, I make 60-70k right now, I've heard you need to make at least 100k as a household to even qualify for a mortgage here.

Unforotunately it's the life they have chosen. Luckily I'm not a teacher, but I don't plan on staying here after this year unless they offer me a store that bonuses at least 50k.

It's pretty sad how little we value education in America. Our education system is trash and teachers are paid pretty terribly.

Heard this on the radio on my way to work... Denver is hella expensive. I live un Thornton, 20 miles north and I'm paying $1,200 for a 1 bedroom apartment, 650 square feet. That was the least expensive place that wasn't a **** hole.

With that being said, I make 60-70k right now, I've heard you need to make at least 100k as a household to even qualify for a mortgage here.

Unforotunately it's the life they have chosen. Luckily I'm not a teacher, but I don't plan on staying here after this year unless they offer me a store that bonuses at least 50k.

all that bleed over from California.

This is kinda relevant I guess.

I live in an sorta upper-middle class neighborhood.

Our school district is planning to tear down our local middle school and high school (that I went to - they border each other) in order to build public housing for the school district employees. School will be moved about 1 mile away on some empty land. People in the area are livid lol.

This is kinda relevant I guess.

I live in an sorta upper-middle class neighborhood.

Our school district is planning to tear down our local middle school and high school (that I went to - they border each other) in order to build public housing for the school district employees. School will be moved about 1 mile away on some empty land. People in the area are livid lol.

Livid about which part exactly?

I used to be a teacher. It’s not that hard. And yes the pay is absolutely insulting.

There is nothing more important to society (other than defense spending) than education in my opinion.

I don’t think that teachers are underpaid but rather that education as a whole is under resourced. It should be a much more intimate part of a societal structure. There should be 3-4 adults in the class and many more opportunities for 1-1 learning. The only way to “manage” a class of 30+ is to speak at them. When you try to break it out into true in depth activities it can turn into mayhem.

I dont get the idea of belittling teachers “because they knew what they are getting into” **** kinda childish logic is that.

Yes they are bad teachers really bad. But its life changing having a teacher who values your child growth as much or more than you do.

Now i dont entirely agree with how he thinks of teachers but i do ride on many of his ideas on how to reach children.

Not that simple / easy for a lot of teachers.

Summer off is nice, but its not the whole summer. Teachers usually have to go back a few weeks before students show up, and usually stay after kids are already let out for the summer to take down their classroom, work with faculty, performance reviews, etc.

Hours are not just the same as student hours either. Get there early to prepare for the day, don't leave until you finish your ****, talk with parents, meet with faculty, grade homework, etc.

Don't get paid for Student / Teacher / Parent conferences. Don't get paid for grading homework at home. Don't get paid for working on syllabus at home. Don't get paid during the "summer off" - they either don't get paid anything during those months (and have to budger properly), or they get their 9 months pay dispersed evenly over 12 months (making it less per paycheck to survive the summer). Don't get paid to chaperone events like dances or assemblies. Don't get paid to fundraise for the school district.

Teachers are often paying for classroom items and student items, out of their own pockets. Especially if in a lower economic area - the teachers themselves usually have to buy the pencils / paper / markers / etc. that students are expected to bring themselves (items on the "list" given to parents, which parents don't always comply with).

Teachers also typically have to continue their education, so during their "time off" during the summers - they are taking classes and courses (usually paying for it out of their own pockets) just to keep up with requirements.

Even with all of that, say you could do it in 40hrs per week. You're still not getting paid that much. You're still getting treated like **** by the students, by the parents, and by the faculty. You still get judged on your performance by how your students do on standardized testing, etc.

Where are you even pulling this info from?

Teacher pensions aren't that great, in most states. $3k a month? Where? There are only 7-10 states on this list (depending on if you use the Mean or the Average), that have a pension worth $36k or more. And that pension will be taxed as income, meaning that they will not net $3k a month. And of those 7-10, not every teacher is even qualifies for those pension numbers.

https://www.teacherpensions.org/blog/what-average-teacher-pension-my-state

Free healthcare? Wut? Do any states offer free healthcare for teachers?

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/16/17119366/teacher-health-insurance-cost-rising-data

https://www.educationnext.org/the-rising-cost-of-teachers’-health-care/

Some of you guys seem to be talking out of your asses about this stuff.

Nah teachers get paid enough

I used to be a teacher. It’s not that hard. And yes the pay is absolutely insulting.

There is nothing more important to society (other than defense spending) than education in my opinion.

I don’t think that teachers are underpaid but rather that education as a whole is under resourced. It should be a much more intimate part of a societal structure. There should be 3-4 adults in the class and many more opportunities for 1-1 learning. The only way to “manage” a class of 30+ is to speak at them. When you try to break it out into true in depth activities it can turn into mayhem.

What did you teach? What made you leave?

a lot of fam are in the teaching profession. teachers are underpaid.

As far as grades. Yeah, there's bad teachers, duh. But you rarely hear parents or even the students taking any blame for those bad grades and such.

I know a teacher who signed up to teach summer school to catch about 5 kids up to speed because they were getting Ds and Cs. None of them showed up the entire summer. Calls to the house were made. Still a no show. And when they return for the next school year, the kids parents wanted to know why their child was failing. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I teach Computer Programming in NC, I make 41K for an entire year before taxes. Yes, teaching is a profession that you have to love doing to get up every day to do it but 95% of the people who say it's easy couldn't do it if they tried. Teachers have to wear 50 different hats every day. There is a notion that you walk into a school M-F, stand up and give orders to teenagers and then sit down and baby sit and that's not the case. About 40% of teaching is knowing the content you're teaching that's the easy part. Whats difficult is everything else, how are you going to handle the child with autism who has a meltdown in class with 28 other kids. What about the kid who's family just immigrated here and reads at a 2nd grade level how are you going to teach them? Or the student who comes and tells you they're being abused at home, what's your next reaction to that? Its 100 different variables and circumstances that you have to battle in the classroom everyday on top of trying to make sure your student's can pass a state exam written by people who have never been in a classroom at the end of each semester. Half of the people who think teaching is "easy" don't have the people skills to do it, or the patience and that's OK. But its not easy. At all.

I teach Computer Programming in NC, I make 41K for an entire year before taxes. Yes, teaching is a profession that you have to love doing to get up every day to do it but 95% of the people who say it's easy couldn't do it if they tried. Teachers have to wear 50 different hats every day. There is a notion that you walk into a school M-F, stand up and give orders to teenagers and then sit down and baby sit and that's not the case. About 40% of teaching is knowing the content you're teaching that's the easy part. Whats difficult is everything else, how are you going to handle the child with autism who has a meltdown in class with 28 other kids. What about the kid who's family just immigrated here and reads at a 2nd grade level how are you going to teach them? Or the student who comes and tells you they're being abused at home, what's your next reaction to that? Its 100 different variables and circumstances that you have to battle in the classroom everyday on top of trying to make sure your student's can pass a state exam written by people who have never been in a classroom at the end of each semester. Half of the people who think teaching is "easy" don't have the people skills to do it, or the patience and that's OK. But its not easy. At all.

trying to teach a 14 year old with a second grade education is what my town is currently going thru. There's a ton of Hispanic immigrants moving in. Their parents are uneducated and don't speak a word of English, kids are slightly better. Where do you put these kids? Furthermore, how do you teach them?

trying to teach a 14 year old with a second grade education is what my town is currently going thru. There's a ton of Hispanic immigrants moving in. Their parents are uneducated and don't speak a word of English, kids are slightly better. Where do you put these kids? Furthermore, how do you teach them?
They aren't put anywhere different than other students, you have to adapt as a teacher to change your lessons. And honestly just patience it's not easy. In my free time (not on the clock) I went and found a couple websites that provide similar exercise to the ones I have them complete in class that comes with video tutorials with slow step-by-steps. Letting them work with a partner helps too. If you isolate kids who can't speak a language and put them with other kids who can't speak it doesn't help them learn.

Teachers are way underpaid. Corrections officers make more. That's backwards as hell. You'd think society would want to invest more in being proactive so that kids don't end up in juvie, jail, and prison; as opposed to essentially overpaying COs who are grown up babysitters.

Human services jobs are crazy underpaid too. Social workers, case workers, counselors, clinicians, etc.

Easy to know where this country stands.

Last edited:
What never gets talked about are how many teachers are actually bad at their job . Especially collegiate level professors. It kinda takes away any sympathy I have for them and their pay.

I wish there could be a system in which teachers are compensated according to their performance but that probably could never happen

I've met some terrible college professors, but most of them taught the gen courses everyone has to take to graduate. I went to ECU (East Carolina Univeristy) and the majority of our professors at least in the college of education were top notch. And you could weed out bad teachers with better pay. My mother is a VP at a public school in rural NC who literally has openings year long for teachers and she wants to get rid of them but she can't. You can't fire people if you don't have bodies to replace them with. Why is there a teacher shortage? Because more people are leaving the profession than entering it because of the terrible pay. You increase pay the quality of teacher improves.

Back
Top Bottom