So I Just sent my Calc professor an... interesting... email. What y'all think?

Dirty- Yes, I probably should have omitted the Youtube comment but it's completely honest and I stand by the overall message of the e-mail. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The thing about the email is that NO ONE, I mean NO ONE likes to hear criticism (no matter how valid) especially if the criticism is coming from someone that they perceive beneath them or subject to their authority (children, students, employees, etc). As a result, you have to learn to finesse things when critiquing a person of higher authority and make sure you don't come off sounding like a condescending know it all.

The thing about the email is that NO ONE, I mean NO ONE likes to hear criticism (no matter how valid) especially if the criticism is coming from someone that they perceive beneath them or subject to their authority (children, students, employees, etc). As a result, you have to learn to finesse things when critiquing a person of higher authority and make sure you don't come off sounding like a condescending know it all.

Originally Posted by philly035

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks
Should have omitted or changed the bold and underlined sentences. If he's a nice guy, he might understand that you meant well. Otherwise... catch him in the wrong mood and you come off as snobby.
Agreed.

nkwu- I understand that completely but he doesn't even touch on background information. He walks into class, tries to make a joke about how hard the exam is going to be, realizes no one laughs and chuckles to himself and says, "You guys are so silly", then goes to the board and writes examples.

Oh, okay. Some people just don't get that point. But really, that sucks.
I hope it all works out. I'd ready some sort of apology (for some of what you said) and be ready for a discussion with the prof. If you're pulling off a passing grade and don't plan on repeating the course, then I'd just want to finish the course with a pass if I were you. You don't wanna give him a reason to fail you. 

Originally Posted by AJChick23

Go to the dean of the college he's in immediately..
This.

I wouldn't have written that e-mail but it's not the worst mistake in the world. You should have went to the dean first thing, maybe even with a few other people in the class. It's best to avoid the professor altogether and go to a higher-up, because the prof is just going to dismiss it and might even hurt you in the end for the criticism.

nkwu- I understand that completely but he doesn't even touch on background information. He walks into class, tries to make a joke about how hard the exam is going to be, realizes no one laughs and chuckles to himself and says, "You guys are so silly", then goes to the board and writes examples.

Oh, okay. Some people just don't get that point. But really, that sucks.
I hope it all works out. I'd ready some sort of apology (for some of what you said) and be ready for a discussion with the prof. If you're pulling off a passing grade and don't plan on repeating the course, then I'd just want to finish the course with a pass if I were you. You don't wanna give him a reason to fail you. 

Originally Posted by philly035

Should have omitted or changed the bold and underlined sentences. If he's a nice guy, he might understand that you meant well. Otherwise... catch him in the wrong mood and you come off as snobby.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by AJChick23

Go to the dean of the college he's in immediately..
This.

I wouldn't have written that e-mail but it's not the worst mistake in the world. You should have went to the dean first thing, maybe even with a few other people in the class. It's best to avoid the professor altogether and go to a higher-up, because the prof is just going to dismiss it and might even hurt you in the end for the criticism.

Originally Posted by aepps20

I've found you have to do this with everyone.. not just those in higher authority.
people will respect and respond to you(positively) more.

I've found you have to do this with everyone.. not just those in higher authority.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS make someone above you feel like they are above you. The minute you step over that line, they will naturally feel threatened. And when people feel threatened, they attack. So expect to be attacked academically. The rest of the class will blame you. I seriously doubt this man will change his ways.

COme tomorrow you will understand what Dirty is saying. You might feel good now but you will understand. Just learn from it.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS make someone above you feel like they are above you. The minute you step over that line, they will naturally feel threatened. And when people feel threatened, they attack. So expect to be attacked academically. The rest of the class will blame you. I seriously doubt this man will change his ways.

COme tomorrow you will understand what Dirty is saying. You might feel good now but you will understand. Just learn from it.

i had a professor like that. No projects, no homework/assignments, etc....all his grades were on 4 exams.

what the good part was his exam was on all the stuff he talked about, never wrote or gave us notes on board or handouts (study guide like all my other teachers give) so we all had to write done everything he said even his opinion on stuff because he put that on his exam too.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

i had a professor like that. No projects, no homework/assignments, etc....all his grades were on 4 exams.

what the good part was his exam was on all the stuff he talked about, never wrote or gave us notes on board or handouts (study guide like all my other teachers give) so we all had to write done everything he said even his opinion on stuff because he put that on his exam too.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Very true, criticism is hard to hear but we can all do or say things to lessen the impact and in turn, save ourselves from the inevitable fallout.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Very true, criticism is hard to hear but we can all do or say things to lessen the impact and in turn, save ourselves from the inevitable fallout.

Back
Top Bottom