So basically...In District 9... SPOILERS

I said this the day the film came out and I'm as white as the day is long/rarely tend to agree with the "so&so" is racist tip. The Nigeriansare portrayed as straight animals. The rumors surrounding Peter Jackson's apparent racism seem more valid after watching this.

Originally Posted by Friendliest Ghost

I said this the day the film came out and I'm as white as the day is long/rarely tend to agree with the "so&so" is racist tip. The Nigerians are portrayed as straight animals. The rumors surrounding Peter Jackson's apparent racism seem more valid after watching this.
Everyone in the movie was portrayed as monsters, every effing human character.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I said this the day the film came out and I'm as white as the day is long/rarely tend to agree with the "so&so" is racist tip. The Nigerians are portrayed as straight animals. The rumors surrounding Peter Jackson's apparent racism seem more valid after watching this.
laugh.gif
That not true.

How was Wikus and his wife portrayed as monsters?

He saved the day and she remained loyal.

CJ and his son were heroic geniuses.

Black Africans were portrayed as ignorant savages.

HueyP in LouieV wrote:
JapanAir21 wrote:

laugh.gif

That not true.

If anything the failed attempts glorified their characters even more.
hence the "baby I dont want you to hug me" convo,the knocking the alien in the back of the head, and running
off in the robot suit.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

laugh.gif
That not true.

Wikus almost through the whole movie was a little pansy that only looked out for himself.
And all black Africans were not portrayed as ignorant savages. You seem to be completely ignoring this fact time and time again.

Originally Posted by GTEK

HueyP in LouieV wrote:
JapanAir21 wrote:

laugh.gif
That not true.

If anything the failed attempts even glorified their characters even more.
hence the "baby I dont want you to hug me" convo,the knocking the alien in the back of the head, and running
off in the robot suit.

Exactly because you saw him transform, becoming brave and selfless.

Eventually he was the savior in the movie.

You had complex and valiant white characters, complex and genius aliens and a bunch of savage Africans eating body parts and getting their heads imploded.

I don't know how people can't see that.

laugh.gif
That not true.

Yeah, how was he in the beginning of the movie? He was a self-righteous doucher. He was a moron, he was clueless, he was easily the stupidestcharacter for MOST of the movie.

He was only, "HUMANE," when he was an alien.

What about the testing of the aliens in the labs? What were they? They weren't black.

Just because the whites weren't in camps doesn't mean they weren't inhumane.

If you want to continue to nitpick what I say, go ahead, but saying that the wife wasn't a monster... NO REALLY.
laugh.gif

Wikus wasn't human after about half the movie, after he went to the lab. If you failed to realize that, that's on you. His humanity was only revealedwhen he was an alien.

How do you account for the inhumanity towards the aliens in the labs? "Because they had to make it look like they weren't being racist?"

Originally Posted by sn00pee

laugh.gif
That not true.

Wikus almost through the whole movie was a little pansy that only looked out for himself.
And all black Africans were not portrayed as ignorant savages. You seem to be completely ignoring this fact time and time again.
Wikus was the loveable doof that transformed into the brave hero.

He didn't only look out for himself...wasn't he trying to get the military to take it easy on the Aliens at the beginning of the film? He never didanything evil he was just doing his job.

How was Wikus an evil character? The only thing he ever did wrong was hit the CJ over the head but that was only because he was desperate for the love of hiswife. He didn't even want to pull the trigger in the lab.

Please don't act like Fundiswa was a hero or portrayed in a good light....just go back and look at those screen caps and quotes on the previous page...hedidn't even have to use brain power to uncover the MNU files and the director made sure that you knew it. Dude ending up in jail for doing good. He was oneof the most sterotypical characters in the whole film.

Wikus was the loveable doofus?

I mean it was comical, but he definitely was a dimwit, but like I said, he was a moron, but he changed his ways.

14 pages and no one can answer my original post yet.

Where was the Black African humanity in this film?

I'm done.
Where was the white humanity in the movie?

You answer my question, and if you can answer mine, I can answer yours.

I can't answer yours because there was no humanity of ANYONE in the movie that was worth a damn. There was the government heads who were inhumane to thealiens.

The only humanity portrayed in the humans were the aliens, that's part of the charm of the entire movie.

If you want to question why the lead wasn't black, you have a better chance at finding an answer there.

I'm done.

I can't answer yours because there was no humanity of ANYONE in the movie that was worth a damn. There was the government heads who were inhumane to the aliens.

The only humanity portrayed in the humans were the aliens, that's part of the charm of the entire movie.

If you want to question why the lead wasn't black, you have a better chance at finding an answer there.

Stop it man...
the show is over.
smh.gif

I'm done.

I can't answer yours because there was no humanity of ANYONE in the movie that was worth a damn. There was the government heads who were inhumane to the aliens.

His humanity was only revealed when he was an alien.

You answered your own question.

I answered this like a million times already. Wikus and his wife, even the father in law were drawn out complex human characters...there were no blackcharacters with any redeeming qualities or depth.

But i'm done going in circles.

Those that understand, understand...the rest of you seem to think that prostitutes, gun runners, bigots, cannibals, drug dealers and hustlers are the naturalroles of Africans.

Originally Posted by SoleOnEyez

You guys are reaching with this one. It was based in the heart of a slum IN africa. Slums everywhere have unsavory and barbaric characters in it.

I think the most barbaric of all the characters was the commander (white) who seemed hell bent on killing everything and everyone for sport. The most treacherous was the father in-law who heartlessly lied to his own daughter and subjected aliens to inhuman testing.

I could see if they portrayed black people that way if the movie was based in England or Australia....but they were in Africa. Stop reaching for racism.
The movie was based in South Africa correct?

Was there one African in that movie with a redeeming or valiant quality?

Was there even one Black actor who was not exploded into a bloody mess, jailed, ****ing and buffoning, selling sex to aliens, chopping up cow heads, peddling guns and "catfood" etc IN THE WHOLE MOVIE?

A white man was the star, those anti-heros were offset by his eventual bravery and victory at the end of the movie....Africans were more savage and less human than even the aliens who were amidst the garbage.

If y'all can't see that...
smh.gif

so did you completely miss the african dudes riding along witht he white dude during the initial handing out of the eviction notices? from what i remember hewas a nice mild mannered black man who stuck up for the white dude in his interview and talked about how they did him dirty. nice try though.

laugh.gif
That not true.

He didn't only look out for himself...wasn't he trying to get the military to take it easy on the Aliens at the beginning of the film? He never did anything evil he was just doing his job.

How was Wikus an evil character? The only thing he ever did wrong was hit the CJ over the head but that was only because he was desperate for the love of his wife. He didn't even want to pull the trigger in the lab.

Please don't act like Fundiswa was a hero or portrayed in a good light....just go back and look at those screen caps and quotes on the previous page...he didn't even have to use brain power to uncover the MNU files and the director made sure that you knew it. Dude ending up in jail for doing good. He was one of the most sterotypical characters in the whole film.

So as soon as someone points out one character that answers your question, you automatically discredit that character.
laugh.gif

How you gonna claim racism then try to make literally the only good person, who wasblack, as just some idiot who "didnt even have to use brain power".
And then you try to paint Wikus and his wife as good characters?
eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
They puttin bleach in your water or somethin?

^ That makes it okay, then?
not at all.....but it's not as though this should be a shocker to anyone.
yeah... the only good figures are whies... that's to be expected in any Hollywood movie...non stars are reduced to stereotypes

as for Peter Jackson's racism... I've never heard of that before..
besides....I thought he was just an exec producer?

laugh.gif
That not true.

He didn't only look out for himself...wasn't he trying to get the military to take it easy on the Aliens at the beginning of the film? He never did anything evil he was just doing his job.

How was Wikus an evil character? The only thing he ever did wrong was hit the CJ over the head but that was only because he was desperate for the love of his wife. He didn't even want to pull the trigger in the lab.

Please don't act like Fundiswa was a hero or portrayed in a good light....just go back and look at those screen caps and quotes on the previous page...he didn't even have to use brain power to uncover the MNU files and the director made sure that you knew it. Dude ending up in jail for doing good. He was one of the most sterotypical characters in the whole film.

ok you are officially a moron, how does him stating that the govnt didnt even do a good job of hiding the files and making it easy for him to find mean thedirector was trying to say that had they hidden the files properly is dumb black brain could have never found them? are you serious with that?

you are inferring way to much when there isnt even anything there.

Wikus and his wife as good characters?

Last I recalled Wikus grabbed a rocket out of the sky, saving the alien race and his wife did absolutely nothing wrong...she showed the mostgenuie love in the whole movie...how are they not good characters?

You really don't see Fundiswa's being a sterotypical portayal as pointed out on page 9 & 10?

laugh.gif

I'm swear i'm really done now Matterhorn.

It doesn't surprise me why the sterotypes in this movie go over people's head. They can't even read and respond to multiple pictorial breakdownsand bolded quotes. Once one person sees my point...3 more come back making the same statements from page 2.

Like the movie critic said...

The thing that really upsets me is that most people who see this movie won't question, or even notice, this incredibly racist portrayal. It wasn't even necessary for the plot, and in fact the racist elements actually created some plot holes.

i thought i gave a decent explaination....historically Soweto Nigerians are bareric, they are Zulu decendents. How can the movie keep its integrity andauthentic portrayal of DISTRICT 6....if the Nigerians were storybook disney type friendly villians?

Back
Top Bottom