sixers ready to bring back AI

Originally Posted by CP1708

Well.......welcome back AI, good luck to all.
pimp.gif
eek.gif

Iverson only cares about himself.

The AI supporters who keep saying "AI can put up 20 and 5 easily" fail to understand the criticisms made against Iverson. No one is saying that hecan't produce, we're saying that he cares more about getting nice stats and dominating the ball on mediocre teams than perhaps being a role player on acontender.

Iverson has had a great career, he's won scoring titles and an MVP, this dude should now focus on getting an NBA ring. Instead, he'd rather start onteams going nowhere. Iverson's team's records speak for themselves. You will not be a contender in this league with a player like Iverson jacking up20-30 shots a game.

And the reason why no contender wants this guy is because of his piss poor reputation and his unwillingness to compromise for the good of the team. He'sleft the 76ers, Nuggets, Pistons and Grizzlies on bad terms...why do people keep defending this guy?

Props to them on that.

I just hope for the best so he can shake a little bit of this Canswer thing. I mean, yea, he shakes things up, sometimes for the worst, but that is AllenIverson. He is a volume scorer and takes a big chunk out of the offense. Dude is one of the most gifted and talented players in history, so I for one can'tbe mad at him. To be honest, I think his career has mostly been misfortunes around him coupled with the fact that a player like him is hard to play with. Andhe does it so well, it's hard to tell him otherwise.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

The AI supporters who keep saying "AI can put up 20 and 5 easily" fail to understand the criticisms made against Iverson. No one is saying that he can't produce, we're saying that he cares more about getting nice stats and dominating the ball on mediocre teams than perhaps being a role player on a contender.

Iverson has had a great career, he's won scoring titles and an MVP, this dude should now focus on getting an NBA ring. Instead, he'd rather start on teams going nowhere. Iverson's team's records speak for themselves. You will not be a contender in this league with a player like Iverson jacking up 20-30 shots a game.

And the reason why no contender wants this guy is because of his piss poor reputation and his unwillingness to compromise for the good of the team. He's left the 76ers, Nuggets, Pistons and Grizzlies on bad terms...why do people keep defending this guy?
OK so for the last time before Iverson comes back and puts in work on the league again. Why is it bad that he wants to be a focal point for a teamand help them get better. Why when he has plenty of talent\ability to go out there and drop numbers and help a team should he basically call it a reynolds andgo ring chasing. Is it really a bad thing for a guy to have the mentality that if he doesnt win the title for himself then he doesnt want it. Sure he may neverget that title, but why is it bad to not want to take the Gary Payton route and have a ring handed to you. Does that make you a better NBA player because youcan admit that you couldnt get it yourself so you go and have someone else win you one. And for what? so you can go around saying you have one.

I honestly lose respect for GP everytime I hear him on TV talking about "when I won my ring with Miami".........!@#+% you had nothing to do with thatring so just stop. And all the he doesnt want to win @%%+ is ridiculous.

But it doesnt matter. The haters will still come in and say that he will never win a title (like that honestly matters in the whole scheme of things), and thathe only looks for his points (career 6+ assists per game for a true SHOOTING guard). So hey it is what it is I just wanna see the guy get a chance to playagain and have him show people that he is nowhere near done like Detroit and Memphis would lead everyone to believe.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

The AI supporters who keep saying "AI can put up 20 and 5 easily" fail to understand the criticisms made against Iverson. No one is saying that he can't produce, we're saying that he cares more about getting nice stats and dominating the ball on mediocre teams than perhaps being a role player on a contender.

Iverson has had a great career, he's won scoring titles and an MVP, this dude should now focus on getting an NBA ring. Instead, he'd rather start on teams going nowhere. Iverson's team's records speak for themselves. You will not be a contender in this league with a player like Iverson jacking up 20-30 shots a game.

And the reason why no contender wants this guy is because of his piss poor reputation and his unwillingness to compromise for the good of the team. He's left the 76ers, Nuggets, Pistons and Grizzlies on bad terms...why do people keep defending this guy?

Shut up, Iverson is exactly what the Raptors need, yet he is getting the Barry Bonds Treatment.

Nobody wants A.I.? Here are seven teams that should

Posted Dec 1 2009 10:40AM

Philly or bust. We ran that headline Monday to accompany a bleak David Aldridge report, based on team executive sentiments, that said Allen Iverson's options are down to one team -- the Sixers.

I know Iverson isn't going to work for a lot of teams. Most teams can present legitimate arguments for steering clear of what could be (maybe even would be) an Iverson Headache. The whole league, though? I'm not buying that. Some of these other teams need to stop fronting like they can afford to dismiss the idea of adding Iverson with, as D.A. wrote, "vehement 'no ways.'"

I've taken a look at team rosters and spent an inordinate amount of time lately weighing whether or not Iverson could work with any of them. Were there minutes available? Were there shots available? Do they have a big point guard that would allow A.I. to play off the ball, but then check the opposing point guard on defense? Is the two-guard a playmaker?

Do any teams need Iverson's specific skill set? Would he be interrupting a legitimate rebuilding process? If he didn't start, would there be -- as Eric Snow alluded to on NBA TV last week -- sound, logical reasons to warrant him coming off the bench?

All these questions spring from what is now clear about post-prime Iverson. He still really wants to start. He still wants to play off the ball. He's not the greatest leader. And he's no longer capable of carrying a good team.

Might make you wonder, "Who should want that guy?" Well, I say about seven squads.

Here's how I arrived at the seven teams, including Philly ...

Detroit, Memphis and Denver are automatically out. New York already passed. Boston tacitly declined, with Paul Pierce hitting us a with a "no comment" response when asked about Iverson as a Celtic. The Clippers thought about it nice and hard this summer and eventually didn't bother to make an offer. Charlotte is out because Larry Brown has been doing everything in his power to get A.I. a job -- except actually offer him one with the Bobcats.

I ruled out five teams because of chemistry/rebuilding issues. Milwaukee already has the next Allen Iverson in Brandon Jennings. Minnesota's situation is similar to Memphis in that they have two legitimate prospects at guard (Jonny Flynn and Corey Brewer) and can look their fans in the eye and talk "rebuilding" with a straight face. The Thunder are right on the precipice of forming a true identity, something that eludes all but the best teams. No need to bring a domineering ingredient like Iverson's personality into that mix. Golden State has had problem after problem. You don't ship Stephen Jackson and try to tend to what appears to be the fragile psyches of Monta Ellis and Anthony Rudolph by bringing in A.I.

The personnel doesn't jive in Phoenix and New Orleans. Steve Nash and A.I. would make up the worst defensive backcourt in recent memory. Iverson and Chris Paul would be the first time that I can remember two sub-six-foot guys playing extended minutes together in the same backcourt.

Then there are the teams -- Cleveland, San Antonio, Orlando (specifically when Jameer Nelson returns), Atlanta, Utah, Washington, Sacramento (when Kevin Martin returns), Portland, Dallas and the Lakers -- that either just flat-out don't have the available minutes and/or shots or the essential need for Iverson and his skills.

So, aside from Philly, that leaves us with Toronto, New Jersey, Indiana, Houston and, my personal faves, Chicago and Miami. Bearing in mind that contracts and cap-space would call for ingenuity for most of these squads, allow me to make a brief case for each ...

Toronto: There's definitely 30 mpg available in Toronto. With Jose Calderon and Hedo Turkoglu, Iverson would have little-to-zero facilitating responsibilities and could focus strictly on scoring. And, although a Calderon/Iverson backcourt is about as bad defensively as Nash/Iverson, what Iverson would bring with him is more important. The Raptors have been soft and essentially swag-less since Charles Oakley bounced and Vince Carter gave up. What you have now is fairly talented team with a lot of potential, but missing a strut in their steps. If nothing else, Iverson gives the Raptors some machismo. And the hoops-crazed fans in Ontario would love him. In terms of effort, he's the anti-VC.

New Jersey: The Knicks offered the allure of playing at the Garden for coach Mike D'Antoni. The Nets can't offer anything close to that. But why not go get a mercernary for the rest of the season? Iverson and Devin Harris could actually wreak some havoc. Don't try to run any "We're-trying-to-develop-our-young-guys" rhetoric, here. Chris Douglas-Roberts can develop coming off the bench.

Indiana: This isn't exactly the best place for him to land, but what's stopping the Pacers from exploring this idea? T.J. Ford? Dahntay Jones? Brandon Rush? Much like Toronto, this squad is just floating around in the ether, pedestrian and middling. The Pacers could use a shot in the arm. Call A.I.

Houston: Tracy McGrady is still injured and, supposedly, his Houston days are numbered anyway. Yao Ming is most likely out for the season. Why not bring in A.I.? Aaron Brooks isn't a Brandon Jennings or Rajon Rondo. If his minutes drop to, say, 20 per game, is it going to upset the organization's 10-year plan? Rick Adelman is a veteran coach that could help integrate Iverson. I mean seriously, we're talking a commitment of less than one season for about the same money that Kyle Lowry clocks. Take a chance.

Chicago: Chicago averages 91 ppg. That's deplorable. They miss Ben Gordon. Well, there's a possible remedy for that. Chicago can bring in Iverson for pennies and he'll play the combo-guard, elite scorer, "Ben Gordon position." The minutes are there. This seems like a better fit than Philly. Chicago is a playoff team that is missing exactly what A.I. offers. John Salmons and Kirk Hinrich are very solid players, but they can have a seat and make room for a legend.

Miami: Mario Chalmers could use a little more time to study. So Iverson's bench hang-up shouldn't be a problem. In the meantime, you have A.I. in the same backcourt as Wade. Iverson co-existed with Carmelo Anthony, I'm assuming he could play off D-Wade just fine, especially when considering that Wade is as good of a playmaker as 90 percent of the point guards in the league. Pat Riley decided against adding Iverson this summer, but that was for luxury tax reasons. Iverson doesn't carry a $5 million price-tag, anymore. So come on, Riles. Pursue this. Maybe it might coax more than 10,000 fans to show up to the arena.

Vincent Thomas writes "The Commish" column for SLAM Magazine and is a contributing commentator for ESPN. You can e-mail him here.
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/vince_thomas/12/01/ai.possibles/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

GP was a reliable sixth man for the Heat and hit a big shot during game 3 of the Finals.

Acting like he was warming the bench like Mitch Richmond or Glen Robinson when they got their rings
laugh.gif

Chicago: Chicago averages 91 ppg. That's deplorable. They miss Ben Gordon. Well, there's a possible remedy for that. Chicago can bring in Iverson for pennies and he'll play the combo-guard, elite scorer, "Ben Gordon position." The minutes are there. This seems like a better fit than Philly. Chicago is a playoff team that is missing exactly what A.I. offers. John Salmons and Kirk Hinrich are very solid players, but they can have a seat and make room for a legend.

I told you all it was a fit 3 weeks ago why Chicago wont do it? I dont even know
tired.gif

i just want to see him play again...... i hate how this is happening to him... its not like he's the only basketball player in the league that wants to bethe focal point and star... at lease he's honest about it...

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

GP was a reliable sixth man for the Heat and hit a big shot during game 3 of the Finals.

Acting like he was warming the bench like Mitch Richmond or Glen Robinson when they got their rings
laugh.gif

i agree with you but the fact that he was chasing a ring was sad... for example when he followed shaq to the lakers and then to the heat...i admire thoseplayers who win 1 legit like they played for that team from the get go or if they got traded there...i dont know what category horry falls in because hes justgets a championship for every team he plays in
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by enyceking

he will be dropping 40s like its nothing and maybe a 50 or 2 quote me on that

But will his team win? Oh yeah, I forgot it doesn't matter because "he leaves everything on the floor." My bad.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

Originally Posted by enyceking

he will be dropping 40s like its nothing and maybe a 50 or 2 quote me on that

But will his team win? Oh yeah, I forgot it doesn't matter because "he leaves everything on the floor." My bad.
And when he brings the Sixers out of the basement and into the playoffs what then? O yeah, I forgot they wont win the championship (pretty much100% on that one) so he still wont be regarded as "a winner" by the haters. So just go beat off to "Kobe: Doin Work" and leave thebasketball discussions to people who actually know what they are talking about.

laugh.gif

6th man?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

They had a little known player on that team named Jason Williams. GP wasnt even the backup PG let alone the 6th man. At best he was 8th or 9th on that depthchart. He is the equivalent to Sasha "Yousabitch" (im sorry I honestly dont know how to spell his name and I figured that was better than butcheringit. Dont be mad Laker fans) for the Lakers ship last year. Now I dont think anyone would accept if he went around talkin about "When me and Kobe won theship last year"

But to some of ya it would seem like you would regard Sasha as a better player or better yet a better winner than AI because he has a ring. If that is the casethen I have no hope left in this sports forum outside of Baseball discussions.

The Answer returns: Sixers, Iverson make it official

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The Philadelphia 76ers have officially
agreed to terms on a contract with guard Allen Iverson on Wednesday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Philadelphia Daily News reported on
Tuesday the Sixers offered Iverson a pro-rated $1.3 million for the remainder
of the season -- but only if the faded superstar guard was willing to accept
a contract which is non-guaranteed.

"In light of the recent injury to Lou Williams, which will sideline him for
close to eight weeks, we felt that Allen was the best available free agent
guard to help us at this time," 76ers general manager Ed Stefanski said.

MORE TO FOLLOW...

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

laugh.gif

6th man?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

They had a little known player on that team named Jason Williams. GP wasnt even the backup PG let alone the 6th man. At best he was 8th or 9th on that depth chart. He is the equivalent to Sasha "Yousabitch" (im sorry I honestly dont know how to spell his name and I figured that was better than butchering it. Dont be mad Laker fans) for the Lakers ship last year. Now I dont think anyone would accept if he went around talkin about "When me and Kobe won the ship last year"
Uhh...Jason Williams was the starting PG on that team. Gary Payton was the 6th man on that team sir.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

laugh.gif

6th man?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

They had a little known player on that team named Jason Williams. GP wasnt even the backup PG let alone the 6th man. At best he was 8th or 9th on that depth chart. He is the equivalent to Sasha "Yousabitch" (im sorry I honestly dont know how to spell his name and I figured that was better than butchering it. Dont be mad Laker fans) for the Lakers ship last year. Now I dont think anyone would accept if he went around talkin about "When me and Kobe won the ship last year"
Uhh...Jason Williams was the starting PG on that team. Gary Payton was the 6th man on that team sir.
laugh.gif

Ok guess you got me there. Dont know why I thought somene else started for them. With that said he was still no 6th man. He was still more the 8th man off thebench for that team. Payton was not influential in that championship is what im saying. Yet has the audacity to walk around and act as if he put in 35 minutesa game and was starting point.

Bottom line is AI and GP are completely different when it comes to how they define their careers to themselves. GP felt that he needed that ring to show he waselite. Which I dont feel he did. His accolades where more than enough to warrent him praise in my book. But he lost a little of my respect each time he goesaround and spouts off like he is the reason Miami won their title. Wade and Shaq won him that title and there really isnt an arguement to that.

AI on the other hand doesnt feel he needs the title to "justify" his career. He will no doubt go down as one of the best scorers in the league ever.And argueably the best scorer for his size. Sure the title would be a nice way to cap that off but hes not ready (and who knows if he ever will be ready) totake a backseat and jump on a team that maybe just needs a little more production off the bench to win a title. There is no doubt in my mind he could come offthe bench and drop JR numbers on a consistent basis for a team or even do what Terry does for Dallas. But I dont think thats the way he wants a title. All imsaying is when has it become "dishonorable" to not want to ring chase. I dont see why he is being chastised for this. Thats all.

O and ...........

mase - welcome back
by Lvick

They need to bring back the AI rookie jersey or the one's right after those.

These new unis are terrible

Back
Top Bottom