Should Student Athletes be Compensated??

Yeah but its better then not having to pay for housing and board then having to pay for those 2 and living finances.

Originally Posted by infamousod

Originally Posted by Face82

I see a lot of people sayin the free education is good enough. But think about the ones who aren't goin for school...but to play. That's all they know? Look at some of the smaller schools too. A scolarship doesn't even compare to the millions they make off your %#% . That's why they quick to give you that lil scolarship and not the average student outa highschool.They lookin for the money makers. My thing is they makin all that dough for them..let them get a piece of the pie. They bustin @@@ 24/7 and every body aint gauranteed to go pro.
Yes, for some that have no chance of going pro, their sport is still all they know. That is why they need to be sat down and told the truth: either find your career now or go to college and find a career while there...have a backup plan.

Those millions that the NCAA makes go back into the NCAA. The universities might put that money into paying for coaches to keep them competitive and keep people watching college football/basketball but thats fine....because a great big deal of that money goes to funding for non-revenue sports too, giving other people a chance to go to college for free. So I have no real problem if they sell star players jerseys and pimp them to hell as long as the money is going back into the university system.

Athletes know the deal, they know what they're signing up for and no one is making them bust themselves 24/7.

You've inspried me to do some formal research, I'll see exactly how those millions get put back into the system.
Brother when you find the true facts of how much money goes back into the University system holla at me. I don't think you gonna find it.Those money hungry administrators on the committee are taking it all.

You even said it yourself, you be happy if these players get pimped to hell as long as it goes back to the university. Then why are the students paying forhigher tuition????? Because the money ain't going back to the system, they are going to administrators and deans, cause education is a business.

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

I always thought student athletes should get something
atleast a little bit of money to have. it sucks when the season is over and you have no money to get a burger wit ya @**#$%.

Originally Posted by curt2121

100% no. Free tuition, room/board, and a stipend for books in addition to free athletic gear, transportation, tutoring, etc is all they should get. They are STUDENT athletes. And while I fully concede the days of the true scholar athlete are long gone in most circumstances, it is the true ideal that everyone should be striving for. The bottom line is the solid majority of these kids are getting into schools they would NEVER get into solely on academics (more so for the "major" sports than the smaller, less credited sports which usually involve significantly more intelligent athletes). Yet, concurrently, most of these kids will never make it pro or see any real money from their athletic skill. Yet still, they were able to have that degree, make connections, and be able to get a job in a relevant field or at least from some booster if worst comes to worst. So really, they are being compensated in that form, it's just delayed compensation. Otherwise, most of them would just be going nowhere in life.
Salty?

Alright here's my two cents, even though infamous got this thread on lock. Let's say we do give players "enrollment salaries" starting at$10,000 per year. Of course big time schools are going to pay more for higher prospects and create a competitive market through money. Do we put salary caps onschools? What about when... for example: UW offers an in-state player a 4-year academic scholarship but with no extra bonuses; however, that same in-stateplayer gets offered, say, a 2-year academic deal and an additional $15k per year but at a rival school. Which does he choose? Most likely the money. Where doesit stop? Is it really gonna be that crazy to see the next headline: "High-school phenom offered $1 Million to play for USC!"...
But if they're good enough to get paid and play, why not take them pro? Start them low at the depth chart, teach them, craft them at that impressionablestage... Adrian Peterson during his freshman year rushed for ~1,900 yards andwe know how he turned out.

After that, you'll have NBA like policies. Gotta go to school at least a year to become eligible (and we all have our opinions on this one)... Who knowshow far it'd really go...

after hanging out with them all through college I'ma give a definite HELL NO

they get exactly what everybody said, free opportunity at a 100000 PLUS dollar education, meals, board ect. They can act like theres less time to study, but Iain't see one of them kids EVER crack a book. Having less time to study is just the debt you pay, any person WORKING any job to pay for college has to dealwith the same situations. I have way more respect for the cats actually worknig menial jobs around campus to pay for that degree then dudes playin ball andjackin around

As far as what they do helpin generate millions, thats what EVERY job is. If every emlpoyee in EVERY company was paid equal to what they help earn EVERYallbusinesses would be NON-Profits. I also don't really think to highly of fans of sports either. i jus don't get being that excited to watch some gamewith some people I don't know like that. I think like 3 cats on my colleges team left me will call to every home game and I went to like 3 games in 3years.

I ain't really mad at no fan if you into it rock out, I just don't really see the excitement

Originally Posted by TrueBlack88

Originally Posted by curt2121

100% no. Free tuition, room/board, and a stipend for books in addition to free athletic gear, transportation, tutoring, etc is all they should get. They are STUDENT athletes. And while I fully concede the days of the true scholar athlete are long gone in most circumstances, it is the true ideal that everyone should be striving for. The bottom line is the solid majority of these kids are getting into schools they would NEVER get into solely on academics (more so for the "major" sports than the smaller, less credited sports which usually involve significantly more intelligent athletes). Yet, concurrently, most of these kids will never make it pro or see any real money from their athletic skill. Yet still, they were able to have that degree, make connections, and be able to get a job in a relevant field or at least from some booster if worst comes to worst. So really, they are being compensated in that form, it's just delayed compensation. Otherwise, most of them would just be going nowhere in life.

They aren't being 'compensated' because they benefit from getting into a school they have no business, academically, being in. The school isn't doing them a favor. The school is just pimping and exploiting them so they can generate money and cash-flow. And its nice to be able to say, "I went to such and such college", but if you don't have the skills or capabilities to prove the substance behind the degree, you're as good as worthless. And thats assuming the athlete even stays in college for four years, which most athletes don't seem to be doing...

Just because they are 'STUDENTS' doesn't mean they shouldn't get a more reflective cut of the money they are bringing in...

1. While there are a lot of exceptions made for athletes getting into a school, the minimums are always being raised. The school actually is doing them a favor: athletic advising and compliance are growing exponentially within universities to make sure that they are making the most of their education. Scandals are always being uncovered but the situation is improving.

2. A lot of athletes do belong in the schools they attend. I would have to find the numbers in a notebook but if I remember correctly the average drop out rate for a non-student athlete is about 50%, athletes drop out at about 44% rate. Meaning scholarship athletes are actually more likely to finish school than non-athletes if you can believe that. These numbers may be a little watered down because I don't know how much it accounts for transfers etc, it was from like a year ago. Point being they are not MORE likely to drop out or fail because they are athletes.

3. Even if a couple teachers were rounding up grades for athletes it rare cases, it doesn't mean that they were given a degree without having to earn it. Do you have specific examples of athletes not being qualified to have the degree they were given?
1) I think its subjective then. To me, top athletes will always be heavily recruited even if they don't have the grades. Just some players offthe top of my head who were at places they would never get in without athletics: Josh Howard and Allen Iverson. Howard especially. Athletes obviously get amuch easier shake of the stick and always will. To get into college you can either do it on merit or you can have a hook. Maybe that hook is having someone ina power positional recommend you or pull strings. Or, maybe that hook is being an athlete and thus being able to generate the school money...

2) Like I said, strings are pulled for these student athletes. I know some people on a few programs and they all say how they have a very loose-ropeacademically. These athletes may stay in school, its advantageous to the school if they do, but that doesn't equate to those students actually beingproductive students while there...

3) I'm not sure whose graduating and who hasn't but if you are admitted to a school and have no business being there and CHOOSE to leave for the NBA orelsewhere, I think that qualifies. Off the top of my head: Lonny Baxter, Howard, Iverson, etc, etc. I think you can get the hint. And thats just the NBA...

Some related reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/20...caafootball/27school.html

http://www.usnews.com/usn...cles/030922/22college.htm

Its not like I'm going out of my way to bash these student athletes for being 'dumb'. They aren't. They simply are just being exploited fortheir athletic pursuits. The colleges don't give a damn about them, they just want to have them for what they can do for the program and the school...

if they got paid, most of the student players wouldn't leave early, well at least the players that are trying to take care of their family's

Here is a paper I wrote about this topic.

In today's capitalistic society, people everywhere expect to be justly compensated for the work that they do; however, there are some people who aretaken advantage of. There are many reasons why the rental rate of capital and the wage rate of labor are not equalized throughout the world. These reasonsinclude, but are not limited to, the differences in tastes/income, technology, factor endowments, and economies of scale. In the United States, there is alarge problem with compensation found in many levels of athleticism. These discrepancies are observed mainly between the college and professional basketball,football, and baseball ranks. These three activities are the most popular sports in America and the owners of the teams generate extravagant amounts of wealthfrom the fans and large corporations. For example, in 2007, the Los Angeles Lakers were the second most valuable team in the NBA valued at $560 million. Itsrevenue for that year was $170 million which generated $57.2 million in profit. The catalysts behind the revenues are the athletes who were paid a grand totalof $58.4 million. These revenues were distributed unevenly among the twelve players largely based on performance with salaries ranging from $770 thousand to$19.49 million. This is just a glimpse of the much larger picture in sports where athletes are paid a proportionate income for their services in comparison tothe revenues that they raise for their organization. This model is also how workers, for the most part, are paid for their services in the job market, althoughnot quite to the same extent due to market demand and supply. Colleges and universities, on the other hand, have completely exploited the services of studentathletes and have placed a myriad of limitations that have restricted these young adults from obtaining additional income that can compensate their explicitand implicit costs of being a student athlete.

The main reasons for not compensating college athletes monetarily are that they already receive free tuition and board for their services and they areamateur athletes. These statements are illogical at best because they do not take into account that a large number of these athletes are walk-ons (students whoplay on the varsity teams without scholarships) and that their amateur athlete status can prevent them from using their skills to generate income even outsidethe athletics sector. Walk-ons must pay for their own tuition and board, which is difficult when being an athlete because many sports teams require a largetime commitment. The commitment can hinder the student athletes' ability to work at the same time but more importantly it can have a negative impact ontheir academic performance. Because there are so many conditions on amateur athletes, it can make obtaining a financially viable job outside school, to helpalleviate costs, using their athletic expertise very difficult. James E. Long and Steven B. Caudill(1991) stated that, "a study conducted by the AmericanInstitutes for Research found that college athletes have lower grade point averages and more psychological, physical, alcohol and drug-related problems thanother students involved in time-demanding extra-curricular activities" (p. 527).

There is no doubt that universities who compete on a high level in athletics can potentially receive large amounts of revenue from television rights,ticket sales, merchandise, endorsements etc. In 2006, television revenues generated $508.3 million for the NCAA, or roughly ninety percent of its annualincome. This is just part of the $6.2 billion contract the organization has signed with CBS, which will have exclusive rights to broadcast the March event foryears to come. For many universities, athletics can be one of the largest sources of income and to not justly compensate the athletes that make the programsuccessful is an example of exploitation of resources. According to John Siegfried(2005), "Robert Brown and Todd Jewell estimate the marginal revenueproduct of a premium college football player at around $400 thousand, and a basketball player at around $1.2 million" (p.176). What these financialstatements do not reveal is the advertising impact that college sports have on their respective educational institutions when regionally and nationallybroadcasted on television and the internet. The real impact of universities advertising through sports is hard to measure, but there is a beneficialcorrelation between enrollment rates, alumni donations, and recognition for the universities. It is also true that a portion of the revenue is reinvested intothe athletes themselves and the athletic department, but the majority of the proceeds are used to finance other faculties, investments, and students. Bettereducation for all doesn't compensate student athletes.

It is hard to see why university athletes are not compensated accordingly when it is obvious that the expectation for them is to make the programsuccessful so colleges can earn more revenue. In his working paper by Brad R. Humphreys(2003) states, "Public colleges and universities with big-timeintercollegiate athletic programs receive a larger
annual appropriation(funding) from state governments than those that do not have such programs and successful programs generate larger increases inappropriations than unsuccessful ones" (p. 125). It is equally appalling to see the amount of investments made by the universities incapital(infrastructure, equipment) and labour(coaches, directors, athletic trainers), but so little for athletes in comparison. There is no reason foreducational institutions to spend millions of dollars to recruit top coaches and invest in stadiums that rival professional sports teams if their goal is notto maximize profits. The student athletes are compensated by free tuition, room and board, and stipends which can be valued at anywhere from $10,000-$50,000per year; this figure is well short of the true value of a student athlete.

Universities are a congregation of businesses that offer educational, research and development, and athletic services. In the real world of business, whendemand for a good is high, the price for that good rises and the inputs to make that good rise as well if supply is held constant or decreases. There is a hugedemand for college sports and a relatively small supply of skilled athletes, so it is natural not only for the revenues of the firms(colleges) to increase butalso the cost of inputs(student athletes) to increase. Again, this is not the case. My sentiments on this matter is reflected by a statement made by LawrenceM. Kahn(2006) who said that, "Most economists who have studied the NCAA view it as a cartel that attempts to produce rents by restricting output andlimiting payments for inputs such as player compensation"(p. 4).

References
Badenhausen, K. (2006). The Business of Basketball. Forbes Magazine, [Electronic Version]. http://www.forbes.com/200...b_mo_cs_1206nba_land.html
Collins, J. (2006). 2006-07 NCAA Budgeted Revenue, [Electronic Version]. http://www1.ncaa.org/finance/pie_charts
Kahn, L.M. (2006). Economics of College Sports: Cartel Behavior vs. Amateurism. The Institute Study of Labor, 10.ftp://repec.iza.org/RePEc/Discussionpaper/dp2186.pdf
Leonard, J., & Prinzinger, J. (1983). A Theoretical Exposition of Monopolistic Exploitation in NCAA Sports. Atlantic Economic Journal, 11(4), 80-80.http://www.springer.com/journal/11293/
Long, J. E., & Caudill, S. B. (1991). The Impact of Participation in Intercollegiate Athletics on Income and Graduation. Review of Economics andStatistics, 73(3), 525-531. http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/rest
Siegfried, J. (2005). Economics of College Sports. Journal of Economic Literature, 43(1), 175-177.

i would say so. it's almost like an internship.

should pre-med stutends get compensation as well?

i mean cuz most athletes choose to play sports for a career builder hoping to get drafted into their sport.

I only skimmed the first page......but lets not act like the premier college athletes dont paid......I remember going to Michigan state when they won thenational championship and seeing these dudes ball out, cars, gear and all.

But I think they should get paid.... just on the fact that, as of right now these kids are being made to go to school. These mandatory rules for going toschool for 1 or 2 years are so stupid....there is no other profession in the world that would make you go to school if you were qualified to d it straight outof high school.....but then we open the argument of schools with more money getting the best players.....

but dont be surprised to see college salary caps in the next 10-20 years.....

after tuition and board is covered, they should get a little something extra in light of them not being able to get a part time job. College students don'thave major expenses, but regular college students have the option of getting a job. On the other hand, Terrell Pryor can't leave the FedEx Friday lateshift, hop to the field and be expected to be at his best. Why make the student-athlete take a student loan when they bring in millions and exposure for yourschool?

it's funny to me and I know this is off topic, but you got YOUNG entertainers like miley cyrus making millions because of her talent, yet you can'thave a youngsta with major talent ahead of his game in the sports world making millions. To me, the reason is college folks like to exploit that special godgiven talent that they try so HARD to recruit to make money for them. They just attach the STUDENT label to them and it makes them amatuer so theyshouldn't get paid????? Like I said this is going to be off topic again, but I know my cousin and plenty of people in the 3rd world are working at 12 and13. I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm seeing these kids work JUST to feed their family and get over to the next day. I don't see whyit's wrong for an American kid to feed his family and help them get ahead in COLLEGE. 18 is legal and they should be getting paid rather than get exploitedby these money hungry cats that can give a damn about the sport.

Originally Posted by vcshoxj6

Their FREE EDUCATION/DEGREE is their compensation. Getting payed to play in college
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yes, but not all players are getting full rides. A $400 game check wouldn't be that bad, to spend on misc. stuff.

On second thought, if basketball players really wanted to get paid, just take the Brandon Jennings route (irregardless of any test scores)

okay college tuition room adb board, clothes and school supplies.

dudes are getting paid millions because of the ATHLETES. I mean it's whatever but I feel it like the same situation you're out there you make the musicworking hard. and you're manager is taking 80% of your work and you are suppose to be happy with that 20% doesn't seem fair to me.

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

I see a lot of people sayin the free education is good enough. But think about the ones who aren't goin for school...but to play. That's all they know? Look at some of the smaller schools too. A scolarship doesn't even compare to the millions they make off your %#% . That's why they quick to give you that lil scolarship and not the average student outa highschool.They lookin for the money makers. My thing is they makin all that dough for them..let them get a piece of the pie. They bustin @@@ 24/7 and every body aint gauranteed to go pro.
Yes, for some that have no chance of going pro, their sport is still all they know. That is why they need to be sat down and told the truth: either find your career now or go to college and find a career while there...have a backup plan.

Those millions that the NCAA makes go back into the NCAA. The universities might put that money into paying for coaches to keep them competitive and keep people watching college football/basketball but thats fine....because a great big deal of that money goes to funding for non-revenue sports too, giving other people a chance to go to college for free. So I have no real problem if they sell star players jerseys and pimp them to hell as long as the money is going back into the university system.

Athletes know the deal, they know what they're signing up for and no one is making them bust themselves 24/7.

You've inspried me to do some formal research, I'll see exactly how those millions get put back into the system.
Brother when you find the true facts of how much money goes back into the University system holla at me. I don't think you gonna find it. Those money hungry administrators on the committee are taking it all.

You even said it yourself, you be happy if these players get pimped to hell as long as it goes back to the university. Then why are the students paying for higher tuition????? Because the money ain't going back to the system, they are going to administrators and deans, cause education is a business.

its not that simple. its not like the administrators are taking home monstrous salaries, in fact there's been issues with conflict of interest since mosthigh profile coaches earn more than their ADs. plus you took my words out of context. I meant back into the system to help kids get through college. tuitionrates are rising because everything is rising. but with the money coming from NCAA revenue sports you get to put tens of thousands of kids through college forfree, most of whom would've never been able to do that.

people say education is a business like its a bad thing. its an obvious thing. even non-profits have to stay viable. trust me the NCAA is like the IRS, if youget caught stepping out of line it will cost you and your university dearly.

and some of you are really generalizing when you say the colleges don't care about athletes. I wouldn't be so naive to say some no AD looks at a playeras dollar signs, I mean Mike Beasly and OJ Mayo are examples of that, and I'm not saying that the system is perfect but it is certainly not broken. and ifit was, paying athletes that miniscule amount wouldn't fix it, it would make it worse. you guys simplify it so much that you don't see the rippleeffect.

it's funny to me and I know this is off topic, but you got YOUNG entertainers like miley cyrus making millions because of her talent, yet you can't have a youngsta with major talent ahead of his game in the sports world making millions. To me, the reason is college folks like to exploit that special god given talent that they try so HARD to recruit to make money for them. They just attach the STUDENT label to them and it makes them amatuer so they shouldn't get paid????? Like I said this is going to be off topic again, but I know my cousin and plenty of people in the 3rd world are working at 12 and 13. I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm seeing these kids work JUST to feed their family and get over to the next day. I don't see why it's wrong for an American kid to feed his family and help them get ahead in COLLEGE. 18 is legal and they should be getting paid rather than get exploited by these money hungry cats that can give a damn about the sport.

that's an entirely different issue. if you want to take it up with the NFL and now the NBA on how they use college sports as a free minor leauge go ahead.but consider that they do a lot to publicize college sports and go out of their way not to have conflicting schedules. that's why NFL games always statewhat college they went to.

amateurism is also a seperate topic seperate from this.

also keep in mind that the NFL generates revenue that's split among 30 teams. each athletic conference has to take care of its own 10-12 schools withhundreds of athletes each from a smaller pie than the NFL makes.

Brother when you find the true facts of how much money goes back into the University system holla at me. I don't think you gonna find it. Those money hungry administrators on the committee are taking it all.

You even said it yourself, you be happy if these players get pimped to hell as long as it goes back to the university. Then why are the students paying for higher tuition????? Because the money ain't going back to the system, they are going to administrators and deans, cause education is a business.

its not that simple. its not like the administrators are taking home monstrous salaries, in fact there's been issues with conflict of interest since most high profile coaches earn more than their ADs. plus you took my words out of context. I meant back into the system to help kids get through college. tuition rates are rising because everything is rising. but with the money coming from NCAA revenue sports you get to put tens of thousands of kids through college for free, most of whom would've never been able to do that.

people say education is a business like its a bad thing. its an obvious thing. even non-profits have to stay viable. trust me the NCAA is like the IRS, if you get caught stepping out of line it will cost you and your university dearly.

and some of you are really generalizing when you say the colleges don't care about athletes. I wouldn't be so naive to say some no AD looks at a player as dollar signs, I mean Mike Beasly and OJ Mayo are examples of that, and I'm not saying that the system is perfect but it is certainly not broken. and if it was, paying athletes that miniscule amount wouldn't fix it, it would make it worse. you guys simplify it so much that you don't see the ripple effect.
Where's the ten of thousands of kids that I see going to these major colleges with great sports reputation??? You done lost your mind. Youforgetting about the middle class kids too that have to go to CC's. If it wasn't about saving money for those kids that are at the middle way pointthat can't qualify for financial aid, why r they going to CC's and working a job just to get into college.??? Man, these major colleges got money, butonce they got it in their hands they ain't gonna let it out. And I mean THEY, by big administrators. The American system is as or more corrupted as a 3rdworld when it comes to "education" or anything that can make a buck". And how do you know the system would be worse???? We haven't seen itdone. Plain and simple for me, these kids are getting straight EXPLOITED.

Back
Top Bottom