Sacramento Kings off-season thread

Maaaaaan, if I had seen the response earlier I woulda gave daps. That was 916kings???...not bad.

McLemore balled tonight. Aaron gray was not allowed to cook. Quincy acy has the worst pair of hands I've ever seen...ever. Travis outlaw stays ready. JT wasn't awful. Overall, it wasn't a bad game.

And I couldn't heckle him RCK, can't do it to a man in a KJ jersey :smokin

Nice to see Ben end the season on a strong note. Sucks he couldn't hit any of those 3s in the last minute.

Also kind of sucks that the Suns lost to the Grizzlies the other day and turned this into a meaningless scrub game. I wouldn't have payed good money if i knew i'd be seeing a ton of Ish Smith, Archie Goodwin, Travis Outlaw, Aaron Gray and no Bledsoe, Dragic, G Green, Cousins, Rudy :smh:

I just wanted to see a Gerald green tomahawk =/
Me too i just wanted to see him dunk in person 
mean.gif

Seen this online 

nerd.gif

Ben's season averages:

8.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.0 apg on 37.6% FG/32.0% 3P/80.4% FT (.485 TS%) at 20 years old.

Peja's rookie season:

8.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.5 apg on 37.8% FG/32.0% 3P/85.1% FT (.496 TS%) at 21 years old. 

Seen this online 

:nerd:

Ben's season averages:

8.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.0 apg on 37.6% FG/32.0% 3P/80.4% FT (.485 TS%) at 20 years old.

Peja's rookie season:

8.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.5 apg on 37.8% FG/32.0% 3P/85.1% FT (.496 TS%) at 21 years old. 

the REAL flight 16...PEJA :smokin

:lol:

Official NT Sacramento Kings 2013-2014 Year in Review

First of all, let me say that it is SUCH a relief to have a season finale where we can discuss future BASKETBALL topics and not LOCATION topics. It truly is a breath of fresh air. Secondly, I would like to thank everyone that has participated in this thread from the moment it was created. We've had some newcomers, some mainstays, and everyone else in between. But I would like to express my gratitude to all of you, this to me was BY FAR the best and most entertaining Sacramento Kings Season Thread that we've had in a long long time. Our ownership has the necessary funds to keep this team stable, which for some eerie reason that has never been the case for this franchise, dating Pre-Maloof era. However, Vivek and his cohorts have planted the seeds for something truly special and as it has been said many times, "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, YOU DON'T LIKE KINGS BASKETBALL!"

I don't think I could do this justice without doing a complete rundown of everything about this team, so I'll try to dissect and analyze all the bits that we as fans deem important to our fanbase.

Ownership: When I look back on it now, Vivek Ranadive came from out of nowhere. To the outsiders looking in, DeMarcus Cousins is the face of the team. To those of us who follow this team on an everyday on-the-court-off-the-court-basis we know that is only half true. Vivek Ranadive has been the most integral part of rebuilding this franchise. We were told that our "Whales" were going to be Mark Mastrov and Ron Burkle, and we would have been just fine with those two. But Kevin Johnson, our White Knight, had an ace up his sleeve (Vivek) and made every keen political move to bring that ace to the forefront. Genius. Sheer Genius. KJ has always known that former NBA Commissioner wanted to make the NBA a global brand so to bring in a potential majority owner who happens to be a native of the 2nd most populated country in the world was nothing short of a stroke of genius. Ranadive has given us small glimpses of what our future will look like, he has made us (current arena notwithstanding) a leader in technological advancements in the NBA when it comes to making the game more fan friendly. He has given us hope when many doubted, and he has given us certainty when our former regime was non-committal.

Front Office: In my heart of hearts I think this is the move that eliminated the Nuggets from playoff contention before the season even started. Ownership did a masterful job of bringing in Pete D'Alessandro as GM and ripping him away from Denver when, more than likely, he was going to be next in line as their general manager. Teaming D'Alessandro with Chris Mullin as a consultant gave us a good feeling that things were headed in the right direction. D'Alessandro and Mullin worked together in the mid 2000s when they played important roles in constructing the Golden State Warriors "We Believe" era roster. And there are faint similarities, but they exist. Those Warriors weren't great defensively, neither are we. Those Warriors hand a handful of athletes, now so do we. Those Warriors made a midseason trade to bring in a highly ridiculed player (Stephen Jackson) to make the team better, so did we (Rudy Gay). But the thing I like the most that our front office has done is be aggressive. Obviously not all trades are going to work out, but for the most party in his first season Pete D'alessandro has made some nice moves. He shipped off guys that were not part of the long term plan and replaced them with character guys who will show up to work every day of the year, the foundation has been laid.

Coaching: There are two types of people that can easily describe their thoughts on Head Coach Mike Malone, love and hate. We on the side of the cooler heads of the fanbase see him as not one who is perfect, but one who is a perfectionist. While those of us on the side of the hotter heads of the fanbase will tell you that he was not a good pick to lead our young team. The guy demands defense and effort, those are crucial in team success. And he has done something that neither Paul West-fail and Keith Not So Smart have been able to do, he has gotten DeMarcus Cousins to buy into his philosophy. That alone should secure his job for another three to four years. But sticking to this season, he guided us to a 28-54 record. The exact same record as last year. Considering that Malone was hired before a GM was even in place, and leading a roster that looks almost NOTHING like it did on opening night I'd say that Malone has done a wonderful job as a first year coach. I'm excited to see what he has in store for us next year.

And now we get to the nitty gritty of the team, the nuts and bolts if you will, the players.

Point Guard: We started the year with Greivis Vasquez running point and Isaiah the 6th man and little known Ray MacCallum buried somewhere at the end of the bench. We all know Isaiah is one of the worst defenders in the league, even statistics show he is in tht Bottom 10 in defensive rating. But if the Pizza Guy is bad, Vasquez is worse. I don't know if I've ever seen a slower footed guard in the NBA than Vasquez. I love his game at Maryland but it only translated marginally in the pros. So moving him and letting Thomas shine basically by himself for most of the year was a cause for celebration, right? Well, not so much. Whether he was pressing the issue or was just letting his ego get to his head Isaiah made some really boneheaded decisions as the floor general. Defensively, you might have been more entertained by just handing him a cape and dressing him in a Matador outfit. Although I don't think any of us saw his injury as a blessing in disguise. Sure, some sort of cheered when he missed 10 games to injury, but nobody thought Ray MacCallum would play at the level he did in Thomas' absence. The sample size is too small and we may have very well seen Isaiah play his last game as a King, but RayMac is making heads turn in Sacramento and putting thoughts in our minds that maybe drafting a point guard isn't the way to go with our first round pick.

Shooting Guard: Has anyone, at any point, noticed that Tyreke Evans was gone this year? I sure didn't. Whether that means his impact was marginal at best over the last three years, the outlook of Marcus Thornton's future was bleak, or the possibility of excitement and intrigue for the number seven pick of the 2013 NBA Draft Ben McLemore was abuzz could all be the issue. Whatever the case may be we did not get nearly enough contribution from our shooting guard position in today's heavily influenced guard play NBA. And when we don't get that production from one of the primary scoring positions results can often be disastrous, and they were. McLemore seemed to turn the corner the last month and a half of the season, and whether that is because he is starting to figure it out or because Isaiah Thomas was injured for 10 games down the stretch can be debated. But for much of the season fans called in to voice displeasure about the rookie's play, and for good reason. He's extraordinarily athletic and his leaping prowess looks so effortless it's as if he just glides to the rim when takes off. However, more often than any of us would like Flight 16 crashed and burned more than he had smooth landings. I can't recall the last time any player, much less a Sacramento King, miss so many dunks and fail to finish around the basket. My thoughts are that if he spends the summer in the weight room he'll have the necessary strength to finish at a much higher rate next season and going forward...Jared Cunningham: incomplete, but I like the hustle...See ya later John Salmons!

Small Forward: There were major concerns about this position coming into the year. We hadn't had an impact small forward since the days of Ron Artest and everyone since has not been the answer. Donte Greene was a massive disappointment since we traded Artest to get him. Travis Outlaw, despite performing well pretty much whenever he is called upon, is not seen as a core piece moving forward. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute proved very little after trading for him in the offseason, albeit he was injured for about half the time he was with the team. Which brings us to Rudy Gay. Highly ostracized around the league and amongst fans for his subpar performance in Toronto where he was asked to be the focal point of the Raptors. I don't think there were many of us who thought it was a bad decision to make a deal for the grossly overpaid 28-year old small forward. And to those of us who didn't think so, well, we were right. Rudy Gay, as we found out, is much more comfortable (not to mention effective and efficient) when he defers to a true number one option. We didn't become world beaters when Rudy Gay arrived, but we did become noticeably better. From an outsider's point of view they will look at the overall record since his arrival and say we are exactly the same. From our vantage point we took steps forward. When Gay, Cousins, and Thomas were on the floor together and scoring 20+ points per night we were hovering around .500...Yet, herein lies another small forward issue. This upcoming draft will depend heavily on what Rudy Gay decides to do. His $19 million salary next year could be too much to turn down, and I suspect that he will opt-in. But if he does opt-in and Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins are on the board, assuming Joel Embiid is taken, is the writing on the wall for Rudy and he's gone anyway after next season? Conversely, If neither are available but Embiid is then how much and how long would an extension for Rudy want? What is reasonable considering cap space for what's leftover for Isaiah Thomas, who himself could very well be gone this summer? This is going to be very interesting as the days get closer to both the NBA Lottery and the NBA Draft.

Power Forward: When we started the year we had a logjam at the shooting guard position and at the power forward position, now we don't have a logjam at the shooting guard spot but MORE of a logjam at power forward. For as young as he is Jason Thompson has gotten worse over the course of the last two years. He is paid at a pretty reasonable price, but his production screams overpaid. Bringing in Carl Landry, Derrick Williams, Quincy Acy, and Reggie Evans hasn't done anything to motivate Thompson to work harder and become better, to say he is a disappointment is a massive understatement. Speaking of the others, none of them stood out among the others. Carl Landry tore a hip flexor before the season started, tried to return, and looked nothing like he did when he was on the Golden State Warriors last year. He was shut down not much longer after. He'll have the offseason to get fully healthy and come back better next season. Derrick Williams, I don't think there is a player on the roster that was more negatively impacted with the arrival of Rudy Gay than Derrick Williams. D-Thrill looked a bit promising when he was initially traded for. He was playing with more energy and intent than he did in Minnesota, but he was often times forgotten about (at least by myself) when Rudy Gay set his bags down in the locker room. The knock before was that Williams didn't have a place to shine on the Timberwolves as Kevin Love plays the same position, well Rudy Gay doesn't play the same position but Derrick Williams still can't find a light to shine upon him. I'm starting to think 8th or 9th man off the bench would be best suited for this freakish athlete. Quincy Acy, I love his character and his intensity. That's about it for the filler that came with Rudy Gay, how it is he and Aaron Gray have remained on an NBA roster is beyond my comprehension. He can't shoot, he can't catch, and he often times finds himself in trouble He's good for a few minutes, productive or not, and a good locker room guy so that could explain a few things. Reggie Evans, I've always seen him as a hard worker. Kenneth Faried before Kenneth Faried became Kenneth Faried, but with less offense. He was an instant upgrade over Quincy Acy as he always seems to have a knack for being around the ball when it's in the air. Still a modern day bad boy as he is still an elbow thrower, but that's nothing to be ashamed about, it gives this team some toughness.

Center: Aaron Gray....DeMarcus Cousins. The guy has turned a new leaf. His suspensions are down, his coach believes in him, and I think more importantly this city is believing in him. He averaged career highs in points and rebounds. His assists, steals, and blocks are also on the uptick. Yet, for some biased prejudicial reason or another, he did not get named to the All-Star team despite arguably being the best center in the NBA, second best at worst. He's only picked up one technical foul since almost knocking out Houston's Patrick Beverly in late February. Let's be honest though, doesn't everyone want to? If everyone else in the league wants to smack Patrick Beverly and DeMarcus Cousins acutally did it, should it warrant a technical foul? He was only doing what everyone else wished they could, for that reason everyone else in the league should take combine to rescind DeMarcus' technical fouls. In essence he shouldn't have any. But being more serious, that month and a half where he did not pick up a technical was astounding considering who he is and what he's known for. Combine that with players and coaches making inside bets on when he would pick up that 16th and final tech you'll come to find that he's been pretty impressive with his demeanor aside from his actual talent. Speaking of which, there were very few nights this season where DeMarcus had a poor outing. When I watch him I see a school yard bully who comes to the playground everyday, eats the other team's center's lunch, and shakes whatever loose change they have left while hanging them upside down. This analogy is a far cry from actualy antibullying campaigns, but speaking in basketball terms, I'm glad to have this bully on my side.

Fans: Oh, you thought the Year in Review stopped with the players? Hardly. The fans this year were awesome, and they always are. We don't always see eye to eye but we do stick up for each other when other teams' fans come in bantering. Opening Night was so surreal, the atmosphere was electric, the ceremony and introduction was emotional, and the team played as exactly that, a team. Sure we finished 28-54, exactly as we did last year. But the bonds that we have as a fanbase have grown stronger, the cheers have gotten louder, and the passion runs deeper with a new and exciting future lying ahead. I'm proud to call you all my purple and black brothers, even if one of you wants to represent powder blue when that team comes to town. So here's to an exciting offseason! One that we can finally say that we'll for sure have, and the future success of our Kingdom when that day comes! Cheers!

:lol: that's harsh on my eyes. The big paragraph for each catogory needs paragraph breaks

Last edited:
^ Dude got paragraphs in paragraphs :lol:

The title change is depressing, but at least we don't have to worry about not having a team come October. Let's get to work Pete D :pimp:

Yea Pete D do work! i don't wanna see Jason Thompson or Travis Outlaw the next time i watch a Kings game

Nice write up @Lightweight Champion!

Pretty on-point review of the season.

I keep having to remind myself that we don't have to deal with the Maloofs still owning the team and Petrie is handcuffed and can't do ****.. 

So its kind of weird having to raise my expectations a bit for the offseason.

Chris walked up into the crowd yesterday handing things out, and he handed me a pair of tickets to Endurocross 
laugh.gif

Chris walked up into the crowd yesterday handing things out, and he handed me a pair of tickets to Endurocross 
laugh.gif
roll.gif

realtalk, Endurocross might be my favorite X-Games sport to watch and play drinking games to.

Especially women's Endurocross. Its straight LULZ. The riders fall bascially every 10 seconds, its the greatest 
laugh.gif

We have to unite the brothers!

nerd.gif

Also, is Chris Granger representing us at the lotto??? Him and Silver have gotta be bff's
nerd.gif

There's a chance that is possible. Chris worked at NBA HQ prior to coming on board with the Kings
Ya that's what I'm thinking

laugh.gif
roll.gif

realtalk, Endurocross might be my favorite X-Games sport to watch and play drinking games to.

Especially women's Endurocross. Its straight LULZ. The riders fall bascially every 10 seconds, its the greatest 
laugh.gif

Dude for real. I couldn't control my laughter watching the women during the X-Games

But yea it was funny. I didn't even know what he was giving out and didn't even want anything. He was just walking up the stairs and i had an isle seat so I went to shake his hand and said "How's it goin Chris" and he gave me some tickets

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom