RIP George Floyd

B75F7B11-CDCB-4B26-B480-60AB6C3FBBE7.jpeg

It's been going on for a long time. Is Second City Cop still a blog? I used to check it out from time to time when I was still in Chicago (a least a decade ago). It was constant ranting against Chicagoans, city hall, Democrats, and the comments were just vile.

People don't really understand the disdain cops have for the general public until they read/hear it from their mouths.

Celebrities are meaningless in times like this, the power is and will always be the people. No amount of social media influence can change or sway that, sure show us what you believe in don’t ignore the issues at hand, address them because it will hurt your fan base it will hurt your money but we need to see that we need to know you about this, but certainly don’t speak for the people.. the people don’t really need you and for the past few weeks we seen that full force.

America is getting shook up, don’t think the suits aren’t sweating, they sweating.

Nah Fam.

Celebrities like Harry Belafonte, Prince, Kaepernick, are EXACTLY what we need.

Belafonte

Jamaican-American musician, actor and human rights activist Harry Belafonte joined the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s. He became one of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s closest confidants. Over the years he organized demonstrations, raised money and contributed his personal funds to keep movement activities going.

Harry Belafonte, a supporter of Martin Luther King, Jr., and the civil rights movement, used his celebrity as a beloved entertainer to garner funding for the movement. In her autobiography, Coretta Scott King said of Belafonte, “Whenever we got into trouble or when tragedy struck, Harry has always come to our aid, his generous heart wide open” (Scott King, 144–145)

Prince

It began with an anonymous check about 10 years ago. Environmental and human rights activist Van Jones was working on George W. Bush’s Green Jobs Act when he received a $50,000 donation and no name attached to it. “I promptly returned it,” he recalls. “I’m not taking anonymous checks for $50,000. It could be from anybody.” But then someone sent it back, and he returned it again.

Eventually Jones received a call from a rep for the donor: “I cannot tell you who the money is coming from, but his favorite color is purple.” Jones laughs. “I said, ‘Well, now you’ve got another problem, because now I’m not going to cash the check, I’m going to frame it.'” The story got back to the man who wrote the check, Prince, who found it so funny he called Jones up and befriended him.

Kaepernick

Plenty of people long ago moved on from Kap and don’t care about any of this. Some folks do still have interest in the work he is doing. With that in mind, I wanted to list out every organization that has received money from Kaepernick and his friends as part of this process. 40 different organizations received some kind of donation from Colin Kaepernick this year, and ten of them received some additional funding from his friends.

This does not include the money he has put into running his Know Your Rights Camps. Additionally, his donation to Somalia Famine Relief was part of broader work with Ben Stiller that raised $3 million and helped get a plane to deliver supplies to Somalia.

Like Dave Chappelle said...

You young folks are doing a fantastic job driving, I'll just be in the back when ya'll need some gas money or advice on directions. (Loosely translated).

Main reason I don't trust celebrities like Killer Mike or TI.

Seems like they want to be in the driver's seat.

One has to realize that folks like Killer Mike and TI have spent more of their lives being rich than they have being poor at this point...and for some, that impacts how they move WAY more than anything else.

TI and Killer Mike have been millionaires since they were teenagers / young 20's.

They are now in their 40's and live on private estates worth millions of dollars.

That alone should disqualify them from the front seat.

Nah Fam.

Belafonte

Jamaican-American musician, actor and human rights activist Harry Belafonte joined the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s. He became one of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s closest confidants. Over the years he organized demonstrations, raised money and contributed his personal funds to keep movement activities going.

Harry Belafonte, a supporter of Martin Luther King, Jr., and the civil rights movement, used his celebrity as a beloved entertainer to garner funding for the movement. In her autobiography, Coretta Scott King said of Belafonte, “Whenever we got into trouble or when tragedy struck, Harry has always come to our aid, his generous heart wide open” (Scott King, 144–145)

Prince

It began with an anonymous check about 10 years ago. Environmental and human rights activist Van Jones was working on George W. Bush’s Green Jobs Act when he received a $50,000 donation and no name attached to it. “I promptly returned it,” he recalls. “I’m not taking anonymous checks for $50,000. It could be from anybody.” But then someone sent it back, and he returned it again.

Eventually Jones received a call from a rep for the donor: “I cannot tell you who the money is coming from, but his favorite color is purple.” Jones laughs. “I said, ‘Well, now you’ve got another problem, because now I’m not going to cash the check, I’m going to frame it.'” The story got back to the man who wrote the check, Prince, who found it so funny he called Jones up and befriended him.

Kaepernick

Plenty of people long ago moved on from Kap and don’t care about any of this. Some folks do still have interest in the work he is doing. With that in mind, I wanted to list out every organization that has received money from Kaepernick and his friends as part of this process. 40 different organizations received some kind of donation from Colin Kaepernick this year, and ten of them received some additional funding from his friends.

This does not include the money he has put into running his Know Your Rights Camps. Additionally, his donation to Somalia Famine Relief was part of broader work with Ben Stiller that raised $3 million and helped get a plane to deliver supplies to Somalia.

You young folks are doing a fantastic job driving, I'll just be in the back when ya'll need some gas money or advice on directions. (Loosely translated).

One has to realize that folks like Killer Mike and TI have spent more of their lives being rich than they have being poor at this point...and for some, that impacts how they move WAY more than anything else.

TI and Killer Mike have been millionaires since they were teenagers / young 20's.

They are now in their 40's and live on private estates worth millions of dollars.

I get that I guess how I presented it was wrong, what I meant to say was we don’t need celebrities that are speaking on this for the first time right now

Nah Fam.

Belafonte

Prince

Kaepernick

Totally different era

Harry Belafonte were also fighting for their own rights.

And if these people existed today, they would be talked about and brought down.

Kaep has been attacked. He's not exactly outspoken on anything.

Neither was Prince.

Belafonte was in the back seat, Rev Dr. MLK Jr was in the front seat.

They moved in PRIVATE.

They took their revenue and used it as their voice.

That's the whole point of the back seat.

We don't need celebrities to be "outspoken".

What purpose does that serve?

They moved in PRIVATE.

Nothing is good enough in today's era.

If you bail out people. Not good enough, you need to be at protest.

You build a school, not good enough.

If you make a statement, not good enough, what else are you doing.

If you make a statement, why didn't you make it sooner.

You make a song, but what else are you doing, what about your other songs.

Nothing is good enough in today's era.

If you bail out people. Not good enough, you need to be at protest.

You build a school, not good enough.

If you make a statement, not good enough, what else are you doing.

If you make a statement, why didn't you make it sooner.

You make a song, but what else are you doing, what about your other songs.

Folks that carry on that way aren't concerned with anything or anyone but themselves.

Ask them what THEY are doing (besides complaining) and....crickets.

They aren't there to give, they are there to take.

Nothing but trolls.

They remind me of:

Last edited:

They moved in PRIVATE.

Transitioning from a struggling entertainer to being a political commentator and getting on the cable news appearance circuit.

Transitioning from a struggling entertainer to being a political commentator and getting on the cable news appearance circuit.

Yep. Hows that working out for Killer Mike / TI?

Lets try that in reverse...

Let's say Don Lemon transitions from a cable news anchor, to a political commentator, to a Rapper / MC.

How many MCs and political commentators would actually take him seriously.

Sorta like a rapper becoming an actor.

Ice Cube and 50 Cent might be Ok but they will NEVER be a James Earl Jones or a Denzel Washington....Tupac could do that because he was trained, but acting like something he wasn't got him KILLED.

Neither Killer Mike nor TI are qualified as political commentators - as evidenced by:

We have so many professional black people who are MUCH better suited for these discussions that have spent their entire lives studying these subjects and working on solutions.

People like Angela Davis or Kathleen Cleaver...no rapper can hold a candle to them.

Its Ok for athletes, actors, rappers, etc to voice opinions etc but to have the driver's seat?

Nah Fam. There are MUCH better hands for that.

Back
Top Bottom