Realistically, what has the sweep done to Kobe's legacy?

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Originally Posted by OneTrust

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

Have we all forgotten how many ALL TIME greats have been swept? Jordan...Shaq...LeBron...Kobe...many more. This doesn't HELP his legacy but you guys have the memory of a water bottle.
laugh.gif

Settle down.
I don't think he's talking about how great players never have gotten swept.  I think the OP was referring to how these other guys have never gotten swept when defending their title.  Either way, like the rest of you have said though, it doesn't hurt his legacy.

Shaq did in 2007...after the Heat won in 2006

Jordan never did.

Magic, Kareem, Drexler, Hakeem etc. have gotten swept after winning their titles, +#%* happens man. Doesn't take away from the great players they were.

Bron never had a title to defend.

Seriously just wait until his career and for that fact all of these guys to assess where they sit. 

Good call BUT let's be real, these guys run's were done.  Lakers were the heavy favorites STILL.  I think thats' what the difference was.  

he has more rings than the golden state franchise has

eyes.gif
 at this random response trying to get us mad.  Sorry, we're too full of JOY right now seeing your boy and his sorry team get SWEPT!!!
laugh.gif

LuketheJediKnight wrote:

You never explain what you think though,

I have typed enough essays to last a life time on this board.  You want answers, search them out and read them.  I'm not retyping them for you. 
laugh.gif

LuketheJediKnight wrote:

I have typed enough essays to last a life time on this board.  You want answers, search them out and read them.  I'm not retyping them for you. 
laugh.gif

If Kobe Bryant and co. completed the 3-peat, some dudes in here would be saying he is a Top 3 player of all time. Winning increases your legacy.

But somehow losing doesn't tarnish it? It does. Especially in this fashion. Losing is fine, but getting de-throned like this? It gets remembered.

Kobe is a legend, but to say this doesn't somehow knock him down "the list" wouldn't make sense.

If Kobe Bryant and co. completed the 3-peat, some dudes in here would be saying he is a Top 3 player of all time. Winning increases your legacy.

But somehow losing doesn't tarnish it? It does. Especially in this fashion. Losing is fine, but getting de-throned like this? It gets remembered.

Kobe is a legend, but to say this doesn't somehow knock him down "the list" wouldn't make sense.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Much like Kobe Bryant yesterday alot of you Kobe lovers failed and are failing to get the job done in this thread.  Your boy gave us yesterday so it's only best and fitting that you dudes do the same.

and Kobe's accomplishments are undeniable
Nice try champ, but make no mistake about it Kobe's "so called" accomplishments are tied to many people and certain circumstances...........that' not "undeniable" in any way shape or form.

As far as Jordan or any other great player getting swept, like others have said.........it happens or has happened.  The thing about it is, is the manner that certain players got swept by or the teams that they got swept by to begin with.  Getting blown out in Game 4 of the best of 7 series and having a HOF coach go out like that yesterday is not a good way for a great player to represent for his team or coach. 

why does it matter in what fashion you lose? whether its by 1 or 30, you still LOSE! What are you trying to say? You play to win the game. Jordans accomplishments are not tied to many people either? or did Jordan win everything by himself? Should everything Kobe won have a * to them? What are you even saying? I understand you don't like the dude but don't discredit his work and his accomplishments.
Just to reiterate one more time for all the Kobe lovers out there to me Kobe is a great player, there is no disputing that IMO.  However, whether it be Kobe having the luxury of having Michael Jordan's coach for all of the championships teams he was on or him being Robin to Shaq's Batman during his first 3 championships, Kobe's accomplishments aren't as "undeniable" as alot of you dudes think.  Also, losing is losing, but there is something to be said about not really showing up at all to play a game and just getting completely dismantled and embarrassed the way Kobe and the Lakers did yesterday.  The Mavs dissected and picked apart the Lakers during this entire series and left their remains as roadkill after the game yesterday.  

Then on top of all of that you get swept and having one of if not what most consider to be the greatest basketball coach of all time go out like that.  Not to mention Phil's family was there in attendance yesterday and that was the best effort that Kobe could muster up, completely unacceptable.  All Kobe could do was sit on the bench in the last few minutes of the game with that stupid look on his face wondering who, what, when, where and how.    

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Much like Kobe Bryant yesterday alot of you Kobe lovers failed and are failing to get the job done in this thread.  Your boy gave us yesterday so it's only best and fitting that you dudes do the same.

and Kobe's accomplishments are undeniable
Nice try champ, but make no mistake about it Kobe's "so called" accomplishments are tied to many people and certain circumstances...........that' not "undeniable" in any way shape or form.

As far as Jordan or any other great player getting swept, like others have said.........it happens or has happened.  The thing about it is, is the manner that certain players got swept by or the teams that they got swept by to begin with.  Getting blown out in Game 4 of the best of 7 series and having a HOF coach go out like that yesterday is not a good way for a great player to represent for his team or coach. 

why does it matter in what fashion you lose? whether its by 1 or 30, you still LOSE! What are you trying to say? You play to win the game. Jordans accomplishments are not tied to many people either? or did Jordan win everything by himself? Should everything Kobe won have a * to them? What are you even saying? I understand you don't like the dude but don't discredit his work and his accomplishments.
Just to reiterate one more time for all the Kobe lovers out there to me Kobe is a great player, there is no disputing that IMO.  However, whether it be Kobe having the luxury of having Michael Jordan's coach for all of the championships teams he was on or him being Robin to Shaq's Batman during his first 3 championships, Kobe's accomplishments aren't as "undeniable" as alot of you dudes think.  Also, losing is losing, but there is something to be said about not really showing up at all to play a game and just getting completely dismantled and embarrassed the way Kobe and the Lakers did yesterday.  The Mavs dissected and picked apart the Lakers during this entire series and left their remains as roadkill after the game yesterday.  

Then on top of all of that you get swept and having one of if not what most consider to be the greatest basketball coach of all time go out like that.  Not to mention Phil's family was there in attendance yesterday and that was the best effort that Kobe could muster up, completely unacceptable.  All Kobe could do was sit on the bench in the last few minutes of the game with that stupid look on his face wondering who, what, when, where and how.    

Originally Posted by CP1708

LuketheJediKnight wrote:

laugh.gif

Good job disregarding the second part of what I said, which is exactly why your "essays" are a waste of time.Learn how to craft a logical argument first and then I'll entertain your "essays"
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

LuketheJediKnight wrote:

laugh.gif

Good job disregarding the second part of what I said, which is exactly why your "essays" are a waste of time.Learn how to craft a logical argument first and then I'll entertain your "essays"
smile.gif

This sweep has proven that its a team game when Kobe fails.   

Kobe had 3 chances to be "Kobe."  As much as people want to blame his team, they put themselves in a position for "Kobe" to "do work."  So did Kobe choke, or was he given too much credit in the first place? 

You can't say the Lakers didn't have the talent.  They sorely lacked leadership.  This is more incriminating of Kobe than the numbers imo.  Phil gets blame too.

When MJ was swept, it was in his first 3 years, as new exciting but unproven player.   His team never won more than 40 games in those years.  Kobe was swept as a defending champ, as the ultimate closer, as the best player, as the poster child of winning in this latest generation of the NBA.  Seen by some as the second greatest player ever.

This sweep has proven he is not what he was hyped to be, although there is evidence over his career about this dudes heart and will.  He will and has quit.

Does that mean he's not a good or great player?  NO.  He's top 20 imo, maybe top 10, but that where it stops.  All time talent offensively.  Seeing MJ?

michael-jordan-cigar.jpg

Kobe had 3 chances to be "Kobe."  As much as people want to blame his team, they put themselves in a position for "Kobe" to "do work."  So did Kobe choke, or was he given too much credit in the first place? 

You can't say the Lakers didn't have the talent.  They sorely lacked leadership.  This is more incriminating of Kobe than the numbers imo.  Phil gets blame too.

When MJ was swept, it was in his first 3 years, as new exciting but unproven player.   His team never won more than 40 games in those years.  Kobe was swept as a defending champ, as the ultimate closer, as the best player, as the poster child of winning in this latest generation of the NBA.  Seen by some as the second greatest player ever.

This sweep has proven he is not what he was hyped to be, although there is evidence over his career about this dudes heart and will.  He will and has quit.

Does that mean he's not a good or great player?  NO.  He's top 20 imo, maybe top 10, but that where it stops.  All time talent offensively.  Seeing MJ?

michael-jordan-cigar.jpg

Ha, I honestly believe some of the nitpicking by some of you, comes down simply to a dislike for the guy for whatever reason.

Ha, I honestly believe some of the nitpicking by some of you, comes down simply to a dislike for the guy for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

I know. Just like some Lakers fans with Bron.

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

I know. Just like some Lakers fans with Bron.

From a neutral fan's standpoint (Trail Blazers) - nothing. Kobe is still a top-10 player of all time and one of the best players I've ever watched. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, so I got to see plenty of big names play, and Kobe belongs with the best of them.
Does he do some dumb #$+! on the court? Yes.
Did he seem quiet during this series? Yes.
Does age/fatigue look to be catching up to him? Yes.
Have other players in the top-10 done the same things from time to time? Of course.

But you know what? He's still exciting. He's still fun to watch. I can see why some people hate him (people on this board make it EASY), but the same can be said with many players in the league. Unfortunately, most sports fans have incredibly short memories and live by the mantra of "what have you done for me lately?" People already calling Tom Brady the GOAT, people saying Kobe > Jordan, etc. But hey, that's life.

It's always the same thing with these debates: if you stick up for Kobe, you're a "stan" or "rider." If you talk down on him, you're a "hater" or your team is attacked. It's just funny how intense some of you guys are...
laugh.gif

From a neutral fan's standpoint (Trail Blazers) - nothing. Kobe is still a top-10 player of all time and one of the best players I've ever watched. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, so I got to see plenty of big names play, and Kobe belongs with the best of them.
Does he do some dumb #$+! on the court? Yes.
Did he seem quiet during this series? Yes.
Does age/fatigue look to be catching up to him? Yes.
Have other players in the top-10 done the same things from time to time? Of course.

But you know what? He's still exciting. He's still fun to watch. I can see why some people hate him (people on this board make it EASY), but the same can be said with many players in the league. Unfortunately, most sports fans have incredibly short memories and live by the mantra of "what have you done for me lately?" People already calling Tom Brady the GOAT, people saying Kobe > Jordan, etc. But hey, that's life.

It's always the same thing with these debates: if you stick up for Kobe, you're a "stan" or "rider." If you talk down on him, you're a "hater" or your team is attacked. It's just funny how intense some of you guys are...
laugh.gif

Even if Kobe is better MJ the haters will still hate. It's a useless debate. If Kobe play for on of his hater team. I wonder if they still hate him or will they be on his meat

Even if Kobe is better MJ the haters will still hate. It's a useless debate. If Kobe play for on of his hater team. I wonder if they still hate him or will they be on his meat

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Kobe-4.jpg

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Kobe-4.jpg

i don't understand the obsession with people comparing kobe to MJ.

MJ is better. period. He was always going to be better. so what? Kobe is still top 10-12

i don't know if magic is better than him or not. only saw the very end of his career

i don't understand the obsession with people comparing kobe to MJ.

MJ is better. period. He was always going to be better. so what? Kobe is still top 10-12

i don't know if magic is better than him or not. only saw the very end of his career

Originally Posted by chitown4eva

michael-jordan-cigar.jpg
QFT! 

That's really what it is.  Y'all were quick to say things like "Kobe would never let that happen." or "If Kobe were on that team, they'd sweep through the series" or "Kobe would've caught Osama Bin Laden IMMEDIATELY after 9/11."  Kobe stans have built Kobe up to be some "GOD-like mythical being" so when he gets swept when defending his title, of course folks are going to laugh.  

Originally Posted by chitown4eva

michael-jordan-cigar.jpg
QFT! 

That's really what it is.  Y'all were quick to say things like "Kobe would never let that happen." or "If Kobe were on that team, they'd sweep through the series" or "Kobe would've caught Osama Bin Laden IMMEDIATELY after 9/11."  Kobe stans have built Kobe up to be some "GOD-like mythical being" so when he gets swept when defending his title, of course folks are going to laugh.  

Back
Top Bottom