Realistically, what has the sweep done to Kobe's legacy?

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

kobe always do this during playoffs aka playing worse than regular season games. idk maybe he feels pressure or something

he's definitely better during the season..

A cursory look as his stats on NBA.com shows that isn't true.

The history of sweeps and blowouts to end the season are only relevant if we can give them context (How does this compare to other players?, Who were they against?, etc.).

No offense, but in the biggest games, he was bailed out.

Again,
A cursory look as his stats on ESPN.com shows that isn't true.

Even watching the games would help. He made good plays even if he took bad shots. He did his job and his teammates did their job.

Regarding Kobe's legacy and this sweep's effect on it, at least a couple of people have already posted the opinion I share, he's done enough that nothing will change it. He's won before, he's repeated as a champion before, he's been swept, and he's been blown out.

A legacy is going to be contextual (who'd you play against?, how was scoring?, depth of talent, type of play, etc.) and personal (he's up and down, he's #2 overall, he's #2 SG & top 10 all-time, he's top 20 all-time, he's 21st all-time, etc.) so this sweep and his contribution to it can and does have different meaning for different people. There doesn't have to be an absolute so I wouldn't debate my opinion regarding legacy being better than another.

certainly he's not playing better in playoffs...that means hes playing worse. simple

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

kobe always do this during playoffs aka playing worse than regular season games. idk maybe he feels pressure or something

he's definitely better during the season..

A cursory look as his stats on NBA.com shows that isn't true.

The history of sweeps and blowouts to end the season are only relevant if we can give them context (How does this compare to other players?, Who were they against?, etc.).

No offense, but in the biggest games, he was bailed out.

Again,
A cursory look as his stats on ESPN.com shows that isn't true.

Even watching the games would help. He made good plays even if he took bad shots. He did his job and his teammates did their job.

Regarding Kobe's legacy and this sweep's effect on it, at least a couple of people have already posted the opinion I share, he's done enough that nothing will change it. He's won before, he's repeated as a champion before, he's been swept, and he's been blown out.

A legacy is going to be contextual (who'd you play against?, how was scoring?, depth of talent, type of play, etc.) and personal (he's up and down, he's #2 overall, he's #2 SG & top 10 all-time, he's top 20 all-time, he's 21st all-time, etc.) so this sweep and his contribution to it can and does have different meaning for different people. There doesn't have to be an absolute so I wouldn't debate my opinion regarding legacy being better than another.

certainly he's not playing better in playoffs...that means hes playing worse. simple

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Oh, you ain't know? Kobe's legacy is a one way street: Only the positives count. Like inflating a ball. Air goes in, but doesn't come out.

Pau Gasol is the eternal scapegoat and Kobe keeps getting free passes. He is 32 years old and he plays less physical than Jordan did with the Wizards. Multiple choke jobs in the clutch this series alone don't seem to have any effect on his rep as being oh so clutch.

Shut the @#*! up about Gasol already. You were a 2 x first round dropout plus a 1 x lottery team before Gasol came, and you wouldn't be a serious contender had he not come. You act like you spent the first overall pick in a draft on him. You got him in a fixed trade for KWAME BROWN. He bailed Kobe out in game 7 in last year's finals. The bottom line is that you wouldn't have the two championships without him, and you esseitially traded away Kwame Brown for two championship trophies. Don't worry, there's probably also a Steve Blake for Dwight Howard trade coming up. Hey, "both teams will be getting something out of it". The Magic will be rebuilding after a first round exit.

And I don't understand why people are bringing up Jordan. No need to feel insecure, it was proven that Kobe is not nor ever will be Jordan all the way back in the 2004 finals. This is just another nail in the Kobe-Jordan comparison coffin, which is already full of nails that were smashed in with a sledgehammer.

This is the truth, but Laker fans don't want to hear it.

They need to accept it.  

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Oh, you ain't know? Kobe's legacy is a one way street: Only the positives count. Like inflating a ball. Air goes in, but doesn't come out.

Pau Gasol is the eternal scapegoat and Kobe keeps getting free passes. He is 32 years old and he plays less physical than Jordan did with the Wizards. Multiple choke jobs in the clutch this series alone don't seem to have any effect on his rep as being oh so clutch.

Shut the @#*! up about Gasol already. You were a 2 x first round dropout plus a 1 x lottery team before Gasol came, and you wouldn't be a serious contender had he not come. You act like you spent the first overall pick in a draft on him. You got him in a fixed trade for KWAME BROWN. He bailed Kobe out in game 7 in last year's finals. The bottom line is that you wouldn't have the two championships without him, and you esseitially traded away Kwame Brown for two championship trophies. Don't worry, there's probably also a Steve Blake for Dwight Howard trade coming up. Hey, "both teams will be getting something out of it". The Magic will be rebuilding after a first round exit.

And I don't understand why people are bringing up Jordan. No need to feel insecure, it was proven that Kobe is not nor ever will be Jordan all the way back in the 2004 finals. This is just another nail in the Kobe-Jordan comparison coffin, which is already full of nails that were smashed in with a sledgehammer.

This is the truth, but Laker fans don't want to hear it.

They need to accept it.  

"Oh, you ain't know? Kobe's legacy is a one way street: Only the positives count. Like inflating a ball. Air goes in, but doesn't come out."

I'm not knocking Kobe here, but his FANS sure are hilarious aren't they? Because we know that if this were LBJ and he goes 17 pts/5 tovs in an eliminaton game while his team gets swept in the 2nd round there would be 10 different threads about him "quitting".

"Oh, you ain't know? Kobe's legacy is a one way street: Only the positives count. Like inflating a ball. Air goes in, but doesn't come out."

I'm not knocking Kobe here, but his FANS sure are hilarious aren't they? Because we know that if this were LBJ and he goes 17 pts/5 tovs in an eliminaton game while his team gets swept in the 2nd round there would be 10 different threads about him "quitting".

IMO...he did what everyone said he couldn't...and that's lead a team to a championship. Once they beat Orlando...I kinda retired from the Kobe debates because it was kinda over (for me) at that point.

IMO...he did what everyone said he couldn't...and that's lead a team to a championship. Once they beat Orlando...I kinda retired from the Kobe debates because it was kinda over (for me) at that point.

Some of you guys are funny for real
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Interesting the failings of Lebron never garner sentiments of "this is a team game"

Love Kobe as a player, i really do, but his resume has numerous "no shows" in

important games.
COMPLETELY AGREE

And I don't know how some of yall are saying he played well in this Dallas series, because he really didn't. Look at the box scores, he shot horribly didn't pass the ball and didn't do much on defense. Maybe in comparison to his teammates he played well but overall he played like $%%+

He's still top 10 guards of all time but that's where it ends.

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Interesting the failings of Lebron never garner sentiments of "this is a team game"

Love Kobe as a player, i really do, but his resume has numerous "no shows" in

important games.
COMPLETELY AGREE

And I don't know how some of yall are saying he played well in this Dallas series, because he really didn't. Look at the box scores, he shot horribly didn't pass the ball and didn't do much on defense. Maybe in comparison to his teammates he played well but overall he played like $%%+

He's still top 10 guards of all time but that's where it ends.

You Kobe lovers need to stop making excuses for this guy.  I know you dudes didn't see this coming because you thought Kobe and the Lakers were going to automatically 3-peat, you thought the championship this year was already yours before the season began.  Unfortuantely, as we found out yesterday it didn't quite work out that way.  I saw no sense or urgency from Kobe after the 1st quarter yesterday, and now you Kobe lovers have the same defeated and befuddled look on your face sitting behind your computers that Kobe had sitting on the bench in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter.  At the end of the day Kobe simply didn't do enough.  Kobe is a great player, but he has alot of negatives on his resume or things that detract from his greatness.  It's now time for you Kobe lovers to recognize this and open your eyes. 

You Kobe lovers need to stop making excuses for this guy.  I know you dudes didn't see this coming because you thought Kobe and the Lakers were going to automatically 3-peat, you thought the championship this year was already yours before the season began.  Unfortuantely, as we found out yesterday it didn't quite work out that way.  I saw no sense or urgency from Kobe after the 1st quarter yesterday, and now you Kobe lovers have the same defeated and befuddled look on your face sitting behind your computers that Kobe had sitting on the bench in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter.  At the end of the day Kobe simply didn't do enough.  Kobe is a great player, but he has alot of negatives on his resume or things that detract from his greatness.  It's now time for you Kobe lovers to recognize this and open your eyes. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Magic lost 4 finals and was swept, Shaq was swept in Orld, LA, and Miami. When you play a dozen damn years in the playoffs, you bound to take lumps. Only dude that don't know the feeling is Bill Russell. The wins outweigh the losses. Kobe has more titles than anyone who has played in the post MJ era. He hasn't won every series, but his team has succeeded moreso than any other franchise since 96. Duncan got lumps, Dirk got lumps, Bron got lumps, KG got em, TMac got a whole @#$% load of em.....
laugh.gif

I guarantee you that this stan ain't got Bill Ruell higher than Kobe on his all-time list though
roll.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Magic lost 4 finals and was swept, Shaq was swept in Orld, LA, and Miami. When you play a dozen damn years in the playoffs, you bound to take lumps. Only dude that don't know the feeling is Bill Russell. The wins outweigh the losses. Kobe has more titles than anyone who has played in the post MJ era. He hasn't won every series, but his team has succeeded moreso than any other franchise since 96. Duncan got lumps, Dirk got lumps, Bron got lumps, KG got em, TMac got a whole @#$% load of em.....
laugh.gif

I guarantee you that this stan ain't got Bill Ruell higher than Kobe on his all-time list though
roll.gif

--As I was saying. The words Kobe and legacy dont belong in the same sentence. (aside from this sentence)

--As I was saying. The words Kobe and legacy dont belong in the same sentence. (aside from this sentence)

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

are you maverick carter? 

are you maverick carter? 

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

laugh.gif
You mad at Kobe?

--Naw. Never been mad. Never will be. I've elaborated on this more in the Lakers/Mavericks series thread.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

laugh.gif
You mad at Kobe?

--Naw. Never been mad. Never will be. I've elaborated on this more in the Lakers/Mavericks series thread.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This thread is COMEDY!...I love seeing the frustration from these Kobe fans talking about their # 2 option not showing up.  SOOOO glad y'all know the feeling but you BETTER expect people to rub it in the way you guys used to. 

Back
Top Bottom