REAL TALK, What is so bad about GM cars, or rather American cars??

Originally Posted by Dakingii

Nothing.

its just this sheep mentality of the human race that says that American cars are no good.

All it takes is for the majority to say that something is bad then since people keep hearing it they eventually believe its true, eventhough they personally have no facts to contribute to their argument, just word of mouth.

and i dont want to bring race and broad generalizations into this but alot of people who say American cars are trash tend to be Asian, and we know how Asian dudes love imports
this.

maaan, all cars i've had were american cars, and same goes with my family. no major problems. maintain the car and everything is all good. and i could care less about longevity (to a certain extent that is). dudes talkin about their honda accord or toyota corolla will last 20 years blah blah.. what i look like drivin the same whip for that long? hell 5 to 10 years at the very most and its def on to the next one.

edit damn yuku blank screen

Nothing.

its just this sheep mentality of the human race that says that American cars are no good.

All it takes is for the majority to say that something is bad then since people keep hearing it they eventually believe its true, eventhough they personally have no facts to contribute to their argument, just word of mouth.

and i dont want to bring race and broad generalizations into this but alot of people who say American cars are trash tend to be Asian, and we know how Asian dudes love imports
this.

maaan, all cars i've had were american cars, and same goes with my family. no major problems. maintain the car and everything is all good. and i could care less about longevity (to a certain extent that is). dudes talkin about their honda accord or toyota corolla will last 20 years blah blah.. what i look like drivin the same whip for that long? hell 5 to 10 years at the very most and its def on to the next one.

edit damn yuku blank screen

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Nothing.

Pretty much.

And I've had Hondas, Mitsubishis, Chevys and Buicks.

I want a Caddy next tho
Word.  Also agree with the high mileage used thing, buy a car that's already beatup then be upset.  I've got to say though, japanese cars seem to last longer through crappy owners.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Nothing.

Pretty much.

And I've had Hondas, Mitsubishis, Chevys and Buicks.

I want a Caddy next tho
Word.  Also agree with the high mileage used thing, buy a car that's already beatup then be upset.  I've got to say though, japanese cars seem to last longer through crappy owners.

People on here will say "reliability" for American cars all day long, and a majority of them have never owned one....they just go by what their friends say, or read stuff like this and form an opinion.

YES, American cars have had their issues....but, what cars hasn't?
--Toyota is now coming under fire with more recalls than God knows what
--Let's not get started on the engines in the BMW 850's, and the KNOWN (and covered up) electrical problems with 2002-2004 745's/760's
--The Jaguar S-Type is nothing more than a redesigned Ford Contour using the same 2.5L Duratec
--Lower end Benz's (C-Class', ML, etc) have been known to have their qwirks as well
--"Crank Walk" issues with Mitsubishi's 4G63...
--Range Rovers. 'Nuff said.

etc, etc....the only companies that really haven't had any issues are Honda & Nissan. They've been proved to go over 250K miles w/out any issues.

You really can't even bring resale value into question, because the resale value on NT's favorite car (BMW) absolutely SUCKS...I'd be pissed off knowing I paid $80K for a car only for it to be worth $20K in 4 years.

American cars have two of the greatest engines EVER produced: The 350 & LS1....you can find them in ANY car, esp.in Foreign cars....just in the last week, I saw a 528i, '88 M3 and '91 325is....ALL with LS1's from Corvettes.

People on here will say "reliability" for American cars all day long, and a majority of them have never owned one....they just go by what their friends say, or read stuff like this and form an opinion.

YES, American cars have had their issues....but, what cars hasn't?
--Toyota is now coming under fire with more recalls than God knows what
--Let's not get started on the engines in the BMW 850's, and the KNOWN (and covered up) electrical problems with 2002-2004 745's/760's
--The Jaguar S-Type is nothing more than a redesigned Ford Contour using the same 2.5L Duratec
--Lower end Benz's (C-Class', ML, etc) have been known to have their qwirks as well
--"Crank Walk" issues with Mitsubishi's 4G63...
--Range Rovers. 'Nuff said.

etc, etc....the only companies that really haven't had any issues are Honda & Nissan. They've been proved to go over 250K miles w/out any issues.

You really can't even bring resale value into question, because the resale value on NT's favorite car (BMW) absolutely SUCKS...I'd be pissed off knowing I paid $80K for a car only for it to be worth $20K in 4 years.

American cars have two of the greatest engines EVER produced: The 350 & LS1....you can find them in ANY car, esp.in Foreign cars....just in the last week, I saw a 528i, '88 M3 and '91 325is....ALL with LS1's from Corvettes.

I have a ford mustang with 99k miles on it and I blew a piston once but that's the only problem I've had with it so far

I have a ford mustang with 99k miles on it and I blew a piston once but that's the only problem I've had with it so far

I am a mechanic.......................
everyone always believe that foriegn cars  are more reliable here is my 2 cents
--most american and foriegn cars use the same componets in their engine/ transmission and even make them in the same factories.
--From what I see is most foriegn car owners are up to date with all their maintance. They get regular oil changes and even do their preventative maintance when needed.
--Most american car owners beat thier cars into the ground, dont change the oil or even do any preventative maintance.
--Alot of cars have bugs and issues after thier model years are released. So if you dont do your research you will get a car with bugs that was covered under warranty but the previous owner let it go.

with that being said, if you dont take care of any care you are gonna have problems.
--I have seen many chevys and hondas with 200k plus models
--I have seen many chevys and hondas in the shop with mutilpe problems.

I am a mechanic.......................
everyone always believe that foriegn cars  are more reliable here is my 2 cents
--most american and foriegn cars use the same componets in their engine/ transmission and even make them in the same factories.
--From what I see is most foriegn car owners are up to date with all their maintance. They get regular oil changes and even do their preventative maintance when needed.
--Most american car owners beat thier cars into the ground, dont change the oil or even do any preventative maintance.
--Alot of cars have bugs and issues after thier model years are released. So if you dont do your research you will get a car with bugs that was covered under warranty but the previous owner let it go.

with that being said, if you dont take care of any care you are gonna have problems.
--I have seen many chevys and hondas with 200k plus models
--I have seen many chevys and hondas in the shop with mutilpe problems.

Wow, haven't been so passionate about a thread on NikeTalk since the Election.  Where to start. . 

Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix(60,000) - bought this puppy used from a grandmother back in '03.  If you remember anything, buy used cars  from Seniors because they take care of them. Had it for 3yrs, had AC issues, belts broke several times had to replace, took it to a mechanic to replace small parts hear & there.  Eventually got rid of it since I didn't want to pay for a new head gasket & hated to get rid of it .  Donated it to a Battered Women's Shelter.

New 07 GMC Denali(Wife's Car) - Bought it new, paint on Temperature Unit rubbing off, replaced.  Plastic cover on cigarette lighter broke, replaced.  weather stripping ripping apart, replaced.  Leather cracked on middle console since '09(wear & tear), didn't realize it's not covered under "EXTENDED" warranty.  All this occurred within the normal 3yr/36 warranty.  New Battery within 2yrs. Still driving. . . 

New 09 Dodge Nitro(Daughter's Car) - After 3 days of driving, called roadside assistance because car wouldn't start due to a dead battery.  Air seeping in through front Windshield. Electrical issues, fixed by warranty. Still driving. . .

ORIGINAL OWNER 98 Honda Accord - Didn't have any issues with the car & have nothing to really speak of that gave me trouble except having to rebuild my Transmission @ 130K.  Normal Wear & Tear.  Goal is to put 250K on it. Got 100K to go.

Now ask me if I'm a sheep?  There's no way, I'd buy another American Car.  You really think I care about them closing plants in Detroit or Cleveland with the piss poor quality cars they manufacture?  I lose no sleep for you midwesterners that lost their job working for this AMERICAN company & I truly feel that way.  I did my part in trying to buy their cars 2 new & one used, but will never look in their direction ever again.  My experience, they use cheap parts.  I'm far from being a mechanic. I try to stay consistent & pay the extra money by taking my car to the dealer for issues & the majority of fixes under manufactured warranty & outside of that was "replaced parts".  

Wow, haven't been so passionate about a thread on NikeTalk since the Election.  Where to start. . 

Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix(60,000) - bought this puppy used from a grandmother back in '03.  If you remember anything, buy used cars  from Seniors because they take care of them. Had it for 3yrs, had AC issues, belts broke several times had to replace, took it to a mechanic to replace small parts hear & there.  Eventually got rid of it since I didn't want to pay for a new head gasket & hated to get rid of it .  Donated it to a Battered Women's Shelter.

New 07 GMC Denali(Wife's Car) - Bought it new, paint on Temperature Unit rubbing off, replaced.  Plastic cover on cigarette lighter broke, replaced.  weather stripping ripping apart, replaced.  Leather cracked on middle console since '09(wear & tear), didn't realize it's not covered under "EXTENDED" warranty.  All this occurred within the normal 3yr/36 warranty.  New Battery within 2yrs. Still driving. . . 

New 09 Dodge Nitro(Daughter's Car) - After 3 days of driving, called roadside assistance because car wouldn't start due to a dead battery.  Air seeping in through front Windshield. Electrical issues, fixed by warranty. Still driving. . .

ORIGINAL OWNER 98 Honda Accord - Didn't have any issues with the car & have nothing to really speak of that gave me trouble except having to rebuild my Transmission @ 130K.  Normal Wear & Tear.  Goal is to put 250K on it. Got 100K to go.

Now ask me if I'm a sheep?  There's no way, I'd buy another American Car.  You really think I care about them closing plants in Detroit or Cleveland with the piss poor quality cars they manufacture?  I lose no sleep for you midwesterners that lost their job working for this AMERICAN company & I truly feel that way.  I did my part in trying to buy their cars 2 new & one used, but will never look in their direction ever again.  My experience, they use cheap parts.  I'm far from being a mechanic. I try to stay consistent & pay the extra money by taking my car to the dealer for issues & the majority of fixes under manufactured warranty & outside of that was "replaced parts".  

Originally Posted by BasirWaahid

Nflowshoe:
I totally agree, Alot of dodge and GM factories are known to us plastic parts on certain parts of the car that after a certain amount of use they will break. I believe the main attempt is to get you into the dealership so they can try to get more maintance out of your pocket. Alot of chevy window regualtors after 400-500 up and downs a plastic piece will break not allowing you to roll your window up. Once you come to the dealer to fix it they hit you with alot more problems on your car.

I really wouldnt recommend dealing with any dealership mechanics unless your car is under warranty. If you find a nice/honest trustable mechanic they will work wonders in the life of any vehicle.

Originally Posted by BasirWaahid

Nflowshoe:
I totally agree, Alot of dodge and GM factories are known to us plastic parts on certain parts of the car that after a certain amount of use they will break. I believe the main attempt is to get you into the dealership so they can try to get more maintance out of your pocket. Alot of chevy window regualtors after 400-500 up and downs a plastic piece will break not allowing you to roll your window up. Once you come to the dealer to fix it they hit you with alot more problems on your car.

I really wouldnt recommend dealing with any dealership mechanics unless your car is under warranty. If you find a nice/honest trustable mechanic they will work wonders in the life of any vehicle.

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

nflowshoe:

I have no problem with car companies using plastic parts because foreign companies use the same thing.  My main problem is the little things like paint chipping on the thermostat unit after only a year of having the car.  That's being cheap & cuting corners to make a buck.  I've owned a fair share of foreign cars & have never experienced what I'm experiencing with American cars.  Leather cracking after 2yrs, a plastic cover over the cigarette lighter breaking off, air seeping through the front windshield of a "NEW" car??? I had an Brand New 01 Audi & didn't experience nothing like what I'm experiencing.  Since I'm a dunce when it comes to mechanics, you can sell me up the river, but when non-related engine things are falling apart, my eyebrow will definitely raise. . .  

nflowshoe:

I have no problem with car companies using plastic parts because foreign companies use the same thing.  My main problem is the little things like paint chipping on the thermostat unit after only a year of having the car.  That's being cheap & cuting corners to make a buck.  I've owned a fair share of foreign cars & have never experienced what I'm experiencing with American cars.  Leather cracking after 2yrs, a plastic cover over the cigarette lighter breaking off, air seeping through the front windshield of a "NEW" car??? I had an Brand New 01 Audi & didn't experience nothing like what I'm experiencing.  Since I'm a dunce when it comes to mechanics, you can sell me up the river, but when non-related engine things are falling apart, my eyebrow will definitely raise. . .  

I currently own 2 Cadillacs.. 94 Eldorado and a 05 STS. Have they been perfect little angels? No. But then again there's nothing for me to go cry about. My boss bought a brand new A8 and it's left him stranded 2 times already, 2 people I know with BMW's one blew a head gasket and the other had tons of electrical BS. Anyone ever read about the asian claim to fame GTR?.. 80K car and tons of people who bought one blew their $30K transmission within the first few months and got their warranty denied. 
eyes.gif

I will always drive a Cadillac as long as I can help it and would never ever buy any Hyundai, Honda or Lexus. For people to say that American cars have no style while touting some asian import is just
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 .. it doesn't get any more cookie cutter than those companies. One of the big things that attracted me to Cadillac in the first place was the body style and sharp lines. People used to leave notes on my 94 with their number with questions about the car.. some people would try to flag me down in traffic, got to the point my girl would was always giving me the
indifferent.gif
 face. Now I drive the 05 daily and get non stop looks from the people in the Lexus, BMW, Audi's etc.  So yea, i'll stick to my "boring" American cars.
2qs8674.jpg

I currently own 2 Cadillacs.. 94 Eldorado and a 05 STS. Have they been perfect little angels? No. But then again there's nothing for me to go cry about. My boss bought a brand new A8 and it's left him stranded 2 times already, 2 people I know with BMW's one blew a head gasket and the other had tons of electrical BS. Anyone ever read about the asian claim to fame GTR?.. 80K car and tons of people who bought one blew their $30K transmission within the first few months and got their warranty denied. 
eyes.gif

I will always drive a Cadillac as long as I can help it and would never ever buy any Hyundai, Honda or Lexus. For people to say that American cars have no style while touting some asian import is just
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 .. it doesn't get any more cookie cutter than those companies. One of the big things that attracted me to Cadillac in the first place was the body style and sharp lines. People used to leave notes on my 94 with their number with questions about the car.. some people would try to flag me down in traffic, got to the point my girl would was always giving me the
indifferent.gif
 face. Now I drive the 05 daily and get non stop looks from the people in the Lexus, BMW, Audi's etc.  So yea, i'll stick to my "boring" American cars.
2qs8674.jpg

Exactly....I think most (again most, not all) problems are mainly because of maintenance and how people "treat" their cars.

Exactly....I think most (again most, not all) problems are mainly because of maintenance and how people "treat" their cars.

Originally Posted by CaddyLac

eyes.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
2qs8674.jpg

Lol uh..I had this whole thing typed up but you know what, do you.

Originally Posted by CaddyLac

eyes.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
2qs8674.jpg

Lol uh..I had this whole thing typed up but you know what, do you.

Man IDGAF ...

Next Whip Will Be American .. ( Cadillac DTS ... Drk Green )

And I'm driving an American Now

Man IDGAF ...

Next Whip Will Be American .. ( Cadillac DTS ... Drk Green )

And I'm driving an American Now

American cars went through a terrible period during the 1980s and 1990s and reputations are slow to change. Things are changing though. German cars used to be built like tanks and now they're having all kinds of problems, particularly with their electronics. Look at what's happened to Toyota, which used to be the benchmark in terms of reliability. Things are evening out these days...

Back
Top Bottom