Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

TI is the first to really push the term Trap mainstream but I’m not giving him credit for “trap music” Beats by the Pound and NL were the first that I can think of with those hard *** beats. You can say Juicy J and DJ Paul too. I wouldn’t say UGK or Face, their beats weren’t hitting like 3 6 and NL.

I remember when Gucci and TI was beefing, they been cool for a while so this is just ego.

Memphis dudes were NOT calling their music “trap” music, in the 90s and 2000s. Stop it.

TI brought it to the forefront in 2001. Period. It ain’t about the beats... it’s about the lyrics and content. TI ushered it in. Y’all need to quit being stubborn

The ppl that were rockin with jeezy and ti heavy werent playing gucci when he was on first run (06-09)

In hindsight ti's run was only from 2003-2009 he hasnt really dropped anything this decade

Damn paper trail was almost 10 years ago wtf lol

Didn’t he have some song on the radio w BOB a couple years ago? I remember his verse was about a slow girl smashing everybody :lol: :smh:

He had a sig sound 2014-2015, blending that Post-Finally Rich Keef w the sensibilities he picked up being around Awful Records, Key! etc. He’s gotten progressively worse for me since then although Magnolia was hard. Interested to see where he goes from there.

Honestly he really lucky Uno and Fauni don’t have his charisma/intangibles. Creatively he not close to them right now, for me at least.
He’s Creatively not close to Uno and Fauni :rofl:

Can’t wait for the Cash Carti to drop and all the naysayers are quiet:pimp:

Trouble Man is a solid album. One of my favorites at that time when it first released.

Memphis dudes were NOT calling their music “trap” music, in the 90s and 2000s. Stop it.

TI brought it to the forefront in 2001. Period. It ain’t about the beats... it’s about the lyrics and content. TI ushered it in. Y’all need to quit being stubborn

I said TI was the first to use the word trap and make it mainstream. As for that "trap" sound, he wasn't the first. Definitely wasn't.

No Mercy had some great songs but he lost the people’s ear by then.

No Mercy was a dope album, surprised at the backlash it got.

Trouble Man is a solid album. One of my favorites at that time when it first released.

I like this album A LOT. He gotta lot of joints on this one.

I thought this was pretty fire. I think it was on that album

However that whole trouble man concept was beyond corny. Paper trail gimmick was perfect but he made it look silly in hindsight when he started saying that trouble man nonsense lol. Like he went backwards on a maturity level.

This joint was hard too :pimp:. 3 stacks just shined on this man. And TIP was skating like Yamagucci.

Who blessed him?

Lil Jeff. Better Known as “Young Thug”, also known as “SEX”

DA3B17C0-6B7E-4F7F-84C2-CBF649FA19DB.gif

Lil fruit was dope on that record. Never been a fan of his music or antics but that was a dope song. That album was trash though.

i gotta go back and listen but if we playing the game of drug talk over southern beats then we gotta give it to UGK, No Limit, Mannie Fresh, 3 6.

TIP at the time was just taking lingo and applying it to his standard drug and gun talk. All his albums are “trap music” if the definition is just music about selling drugs and being in and around a trap.

I’m a Gucci > TIP and Jeezy Guy.....

But TIP was the first to really talk about Trap Houses. That’s unique to Atlanta mostly. ***** been talking about making and selling dope over southern beats.....But Tip was describing a trap house. Not a corner, block, stash house etc. But a stand alone house in the hood where all this went down. That’s unique to Atl based on the infrastructure.

I remember the first time I went to a trap house in Atl in the Bluff and Vine City. It’s different than pulling up on a drug block where ***** is posted.

This is a different operation, feel and experience. Especially if you come from up North/East Coast where it’s more blocks and projects.

it's a shame when dudes who are on the top stop making music. I was watching unsung the other day and trick daddy had mad hits that I forgot about.

I watched that, good episode. I’m a huge Trick fan, it was dope seeing a lot of that again.

Fans turn on you, lose interest, want something new. Also rappers lose hunger and get lazy. His last few albums weren’t good.

What's trap music?

Is it subject matter or production?

Some of you seem to be having different arguments in what makes trap music.

Back
Top Bottom