Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

It used to be that if you didn’t write your ****, you lost respect as an artist.

Now that line is being blurred for the sake of “hey if it sounds good, who cares?”

Can I enjoy a rapper who doesn’t write their own lyrics or relies heavily on writers? Sure. But they do not deserve to be mentioned when we talk all time greats or comparing artists. Hip hop was built upon the premise of competition and being the best at your craft. Dudes would dedicate entire tracks, hell half their album to bragging about their skills and how much better than were than the rest. That’s what separated the genre from every other genre of music.

If you don’t write MOST of your own stuff, you’re not a rapper. You’re a performer and you need to be placed into another category.

A lot of beats come with hooks already laid and you can’t compare a hook to a verse. A hook can be two words or eight words, the hook was more for sales and radio play back then.

And don’t put Nelly in that group. Nelly wrote his own music and he could rap. Wypipo just ate up Country Grammar and he was gone.

But they do not deserve to be mentioned when we talk all time greats or comparing artists. Hip hop was built upon the premise of competition and being the best at your craft. Dudes would dedicate entire tracks, hell half their album to bragging about their skills and how much better than were than the rest. That’s what separated the genre from every other genre of music.

All-time great lyricists.

There's a difference. Because nobody can say someone like Kanye isn't one of the greatest ARTIST's of all time. Whether he's one of the greatest rappers/lyricists of all time is a different story.

All-time great lyricists.

There's a difference. Because nobody can say someone like Kanye isn't one of the greatest ARTIST's of all time. Whether he's one of the greatest rappers/lyricists of all time is a different story.

In that case it gets reduced to semantics. You break it down to different categories to rank all these different rappers appropriately but we never can agree on the criteria to rank EVERYONE by.

I get some people might see the concept of ranking artists as trivial since it’s all subjective and good music is good music and it can and should ALL be appreciated, but I still think it’s worth thinking about. Especially in hip hop where the arena has historically been very competitive.

im the best at rapping because im the best at rapping about how im the best at rapping

This the next dude yall gonna rock with?

Just went on facebook and I see several ppl reposting this

Mr dog food said a ***** shoot his apt or cars wi paintballs they shooting real guns back

How is getting someone to write a hook cool but everything else not?

Those 16's are supposed to be an expression of self. How are you even trying to compare a hook to a verse. If you use a soul sample, or when you're a guest feature on a song the hook is already there but that verse you spit is supposed to be yours.

man sit and think about how ****ing stupid this is

im the best at rapping because im the best at rapping about how im the best at rapping

Another enemy, not even a friend of me
'cause you'll get fried in the end if you pretend to be
Can be 'cause I just put your mind on pause
And I can beat you when you compare my rhyme wit yours
I wake you up and as I stare in your face you seem stun
Remember me, the one you got your idea from
But soon you start to suffer but you only get rougher
When you start to stutter that's when you had enuff of
Biting it, I make you choke, you can't provoke
You can't cope, you should of broke 'cause I ain't no joke

or.......

Pop these ****** like a wheelie, *****, you a silly *****