Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

As a black man, I ain’t accepting no white man or woman’s opinion on hip-hop. But, I know and research all black musicians and genres we’ve created.

Some black people are to lazy to do research so, to each their own. But personally, I ain’t listening to anyone, especially bloggers or writers

As a black man, I ain’t accepting no white man or woman’s opinion on hip-hop. But, I know and research all black musicians and genres we’ve created.

Some black people are to lazy to do research so, to each their own. But personally, I ain’t listening to anyone, especially bloggers or writers

Would you listen to Jason Whitlock over Jane Elliot talk about race?

Grammy nods out. Kodak has a song writing cred for Bodak Yellow so if it wins song of the year he gets a Grammy lol.

Would you listen to Jason Whitlock over Jane Elliot talk about race?

I feel like were the only group of people that allow our creations to be hi-jacked and make excuses for what's
taken place accepting the behavior. If you look at the structure of the music industry it's extremely one-sided.
The wealth gap does not favor the creators of the "culture". We should be owning these labels and corporations
completely. The distribution should be all us. No middle man no nothing 100%

I keep making the comparison between jazz and what's current happening with rap. Nobody ever imagined
jazz would go down that road and here we are. I give it a few more years with mainstream rap.

Finally got our Fab/Jada collabo album :lol:

5/8 so far

I still need that DMX, Jay, Rule collabo :lol:

I haven’t been able to listen to it too much. Someone told me some of the songs are recycled verses, is it true?

I know the Future song is dated

I haven’t been able to listen to it too much. Someone told me some of the songs are recycled verses, is it true?

I know the Future song is dated

Somewhat, yes. That Future song is trash.

The album is average, I was expecting it to be more NYC and no features. After skimming through it, I'm semi disappointed.

Why you need features on a callabo album? :lol:

I feel like were the only group of people that allow our creations to be hi-jacked and make excuses for what's
taken place accepting the behavior. If you look at the structure of the music industry it's extremely one-sided.
The wealth gap does not favor the creators of the "culture". We should be owning these labels and corporations

I keep making the comparison between jazz and what's current happening with rap. Nobody ever imagined
jazz would go down that road and here we are. I give it a few more years with mainstream rap.

Oh, I do have a problem with how we don't exist at a lot of these media publications that discuss our music.

But we do hold some responsibility in how we take it for granted and don't respect it.

I can tell someone they should care about Rakim, KRS, LL, Kane, G Rap, Chuck D...but if they don't and let Eminem become the forefather of hip hop am I to blame?

That's why I try to get away form the silly regional and generation arguments, because a lot more is at play. Instead of protecting your region, you should be as protective about your culture.

Best R&B Performance:
“Get You” — Daniel Caesar Featuring Kali Uchis
“Distraction” — Kehlani
“High” — Ledisi
“That’s What I Like” — Bruno Mars
“The Weekend” — SZA

Best Traditional R&B Performance:
“Laugh And Move On” — The Baylor Project
“Redbone” — Childish Gambino
“What I’m Feelin’” — Anthony Hamilton Featuring The Hamiltones|
“All The Way” — Ledisi
“Still” — Mali Music

Best R&B Song:
“First Began” — PJ Morton, songwriter (PJ Morton)
“Location” — Alfredo Gonzalez, Olatunji Ige, Samuel David Jiminez, Christopher McClenney, Khalid Robinson & Joshua Scruggs, songwriters (Khalid)
“Redbone” — Donald Glover & Ludwig Goransson, songwriters (Childish Gambino)
“Supermodel” — Tyran Donaldson, Terrence Henderson, Greg Landfair Jr., Solana Rowe & Pharrell Williams, songwriters (SZA)
“That’s What I Like” — Christopher Brody Brown, James Fauntleroy, Philip Lawrence, Bruno Mars, Ray Charles McCullough II, Jeremy Reeves, Ray Romulus & Jonathan Yip, songwriters (Bruno Mars)

Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Free 6LACK — 6LACK
Awaken, My Love! — Childish Gambino
American Teen — Khalid
Ctrl — SZA
Starboy — The Weeknd

Best R&B Album:
Freudian — Daniel Caesar
Let Love Rule — Ledisi
24K Magic — Bruno Mars
Gumbo — PJ Morton
Feel The Real –Musiq Soulchild

Best Rap Performance:
“Bounce Back” — Big Sean
“Bodak Yellow” — Cardi B
“4:44” — Jay-Z
“HUMBLE.” — Kendrick Lamar
“Bad And Boujee” — Migos Featuring Lil Uzi Vert

Best Rap/Sung Performance:
“PRBLMS” — 6LACK
“Crew” — Goldlink Featuring Brent Faiyaz & Shy Glizzy
“Family Feud” — Jay-Z Featuring Beyoncé
“LOYALTY.” — Kendrick Lamar Featuring Rihanna
“Love Galore” — SZA Featuring Travis Scott

Best Rap Song:
“Bodak Yellow” — Dieuson Octave, Klenord Raphael, Shaftizm, Jordan Thorpe, Washpoppin & J White, songwriters (Cardi B)
“Chase Me” — Judah Bauer, Brian Burton, Hector Delgado, Jaime Meline, Antwan Patton, Michael Render, Russell Simins & Jon Spencer,
songwriters (Danger Mouse Featuring Run The Jewels & Big Boi)
“HUMBLE.” — Duckworth, Asheton Hogan & M. Williams II, songwriters (Kendrick Lamar)
“Sassy” — Gabouer & M. Evans, songwriters (Rapsody)
“The Story Of O.J.” — Shawn Carter & Dion Wilson, songwriters (Jay-Z)

Best Rap Album:
4:44 — Jay-Z
DAMN. — Kendrick Lamar
Culture — Migos
Laila’s Wisdom — Rapsody
Flower Boy — Tyler, The Creator

Record of the Year:
“Redbone” — Childish Gambino
“Despacito” — Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee Featuring Justin Bieber
“The Story of O.J.” — Jay-Z
“HUMBLE.” — Kendrick Lamar
“24K Magic” — Bruno Mars

Album of the Year:
Awaken, My Love! — Childish Gambino
4:44 — Jay-Z
DAMN. — Kendrick Lamar
Melodrama — Lorde
24K Magic — Bruno Mars

Song of the Year:
“Despacito” — Ramón Ayala, Justin Bieber, Jason “Poo Bear” Boyd, Erika Ender, Luis Fonsi & Marty James Garton, songwriters (Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee Featuring Justin Bieber)
“4:44” — Shawn Carter & Dion Wilson, songwriters (Jay-Z)
“Issues” — Benny Blanco, Mikkel Storleer Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Julia Michaels & Justin Drew Tranter, songwriters (Julia Michaels)
“1-800-273-8255” — Alessia Caracciolo, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, Arjun Ivatury & Khalid Robinson, songwriters (Logic Featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid)
“That’s What I Like” — Christopher Brody Brown, James Fauntleroy, Philip Lawrence, Bruno Mars, Ray Charles McCullough II, Jeremy Reeves, Ray Romulus & Jonathan Yip, songwriters (Bruno Mars)

This is essentially what Jay is trying to do with Tidal in a sense, but for whatever reason people were pissed that him & other creatives wanted to create something where they see all the money from their output.

OJ is going to show up at the Grammy's waiting outside for Jay, especially if he performs the song

LiquidPortlyGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

Y’all know jay finesse everything lol.

Kendrick has 0 competition in the album of the year category...maybe Bruno. His album lowkey should take it. Every song was a hit. Grammys been trash anyways

Rather you than me should've gotten a nod for rap album of the year

Criminal how slept on this album is. Just criminal.

Ross was touching on some stuff Hov (and many other rappers) touched on as well. But you know....image and perception plays a huge role in Grammys and acclaim etc. 4:44 was cool....but there were better albums that dropped. But anyway.....

One time for the culture. This last verse :pimp:.

Ross was touching on some stuff Hov (and many other rappers) touched on as well. But you know....image and perception plays a huge role in Grammys and acclaim etc. 4:44 was cool....but there were better albums that dropped. But anyway.....

giphy.gif

Ross got nothing but praise for that album from everyone. But as far as Rap albums this year they seem to have Gotten it right, DAMN, 4:44, Laila's Wisdom, Culture, & Flowerboy got just as much praise as Ross album.

Jay had a phenomenal album that touched on several different things in Rap. Had commercial success & strong lasting power, why wouldn't the album be nominated.

Back
Top Bottom