Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

The writer
Screenshot_20171127-180857.jpg
Look like an extra from season 3 of True Detective, I'm supposed to value his opinion?

I came here strictly off the Murda/Killa situation, I'm also in the program thread but this was updating faster with information on their songs. I like Joe Budden as an MC, but **** Complex and this show

This is why I cant stand Complex, they post (no pun intended) and promote the hell out this dude music then make an article condemning his dumb**** and parts of his music. But when people are pointing that **** out from jump their called haters, sometimes by Complex themselves. Only part I even found interesting was the "I'm not a rapper" quote. Cause Malone aint the only rapper, white or black, to try and distance themselves from that term or the genre itself. Why is it problem now when it wasnt before?

Anyone who listens to The Cipher knows Shawn knows his stuff.

Dude doesn't come off as a know it all or a vulture, and seems to have a love of the music. As nerdy as he may look. You can't judge the book by the cover. Just like it's a black kids who add absolutely nothing to the music or the culture.

I don't paint a broad brush about them, I observe their actions. He knows more about songs and the culture than a whole lot of people. You'll hear it when he interviews rappers and they're impressed by his questions.

Last edited:

Dude doesn't come off as a know it all or a vulture, and seems to have a love of the music. As nerdy as he may look. You can't observe the book by the cover. Just like it's a black kids who add absolutely nothing to the music or the culture.

I don't paint a broad brush about them, I observe their actions. He knows more about songs and the culture than a whole lot of people. You'll hear it when he interviews rappers and they're impressed by his questions.

Exactly. I didn’t wanna be the one to have to say it.

But broad brushes.....and generally closed mindedness are staples in this thread :lol:.

Dude doesn't come off as a know it all or a vulture, and seems to have a love of the music. As nerdy as he may look. You can't observe the book by the cover. Just like it's a black kids who add absolutely nothing to the music or the culture.

Thats nice, I may give it listen, that doesnt change the fact that its ******** that Complex will post ******** then try and act high and mighty and condemn it within the same month. This dude fits the look of a few of their writers who are responsible for that ******** (their even worse on twitter), a shame he caught a stray for associating with them. I hope he brought attention to other rappers, black or white, who may echo this Malone dudes sentiment

I can't even front, some of those nerdy white scrawny Jewish Hiphop industry folks know more about Hiphop than da Rappers themselves, they'll scholastically catalog rap knowledge/discography and are meticulous with da history.

ya ever seen what Stretch Armstrong look like from da stretch Armstrong & bobbito show?

dj-stretch-armstrong-and-kate-brown-attend-calvin-klein-collection-picture-id608923498

6905.jpg

I can't even front, some of those nerdy white scrawny Jewish Hiphop industry folks know more about Hiphop than da Rappers themselves, they'll scholastically catalog rap knowledge/discography and are meticulous with da history.

ya ever seen what Stretch Armstrong look like from da stretch Armstrong & bobbito show?

dj-stretch-armstrong-and-kate-brown-attend-calvin-klein-collection-picture-id608923498

6905.jpg
Stretch is/was a DJ, I will always hold the MC/DJ in higher regard than some of these writers. Especially if they didnt get their start in the genre itself and only jumped sides when it got hot

This is why I cant stand Complex, they post (no pun intended) and promote the hell out this dude music then make an article condemning his dumb**** and parts of his music. But when people are pointing that **** out from jump their called haters, sometimes by Complex themselves. Only part I even found interesting was the "I'm not a rapper" quote. Cause Malone aint the only rapper, white or black, to try and distance themselves from that term or the genre itself. Why is it problem now when it wasnt before?

Yup. When people pointed this out in the past it was "that's wrong, ya'll saying that cuz he white". :lol:

I mean as corny as Macklemore is he seems like a cool dude. Post Malone since White Iverson seemed like a clown and he shows it every time he speaks.

Dude was definitely right about this though.

He pays no attention to the literal life-or-death issues facing the communities that created that culture in the first place, then screams “reverse racism” if you even broach the issue.
Post Malone wants the fans, the Billboard hits, the fancy cars, and the expensive shoes that come from being a successful rapper. But he also wants to be able to use and discard the music, the people who make it, and the people who love it as soon as there’s a different audience to chase. He feels like he faces difficulties for being white, despite the fact that it gave him access to a mass audience few of his peers can touch. Paul Mooney was right again.

Yup. When people pointed this out in the past it was "that's wrong, ya'll saying that cuz he white". :lol:

I mean as corny as Macklemore is he seems like a cool dude. Post Malone since White Iverson seemed like a clown and he shows it every time he speaks.

Dude was definitely right about this though.

"He pays no attention to the literal life-or-death issues facing the communities that created that culture in the first place, then screams “reverse racism” if you even broach the issue.
Post Malone wants the fans, the Billboard hits, the fancy cars, and the expensive shoes that come from being a successful rapper. But he also wants to be able to use and discard the music, the people who make it, and the people who love it as soon as there’s a different audience to chase. He feels like he faces difficulties for being white, despite the fact that it gave him access to a mass audience few of his peers can touch. Paul Mooney was right again."

The quote you posted from the article is fine and all, I just want to know where were these types of articles when Lil Uzi said I'm not a rapper I'm a rockstar too (It may have been the Yacht dude) at. I'm not a fan of "reverse racism" but it feels like when white rappers say **** like this or act in a way that dissociates themselves from Hip-Hop, these types of articles get created to condem it but when a black rapper says **** in a similar vein its embraced as them being creative. I thought it was initially an excuse to dismiss the lyricism complaints but I see that may not be the case.

Back
Top Bottom