Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I thought ****** was joking about there being a Lil Xan. And then I came across a vid on YouTube with 40 million views.

I think a lot of people have this **** confused & think that older cats really have an issue with what we're listening too. Personally i'm listening to Kendrick, Schoolboy A$AP, Dave East, Jay, Pusha, Future & mix in some singles from a lot of these young cats that i may like.

When i'm criticizing the music of today, i'm moreso worried about the younger generation growing into hiphop. The vast majority of young kids usually pick up with what's "popular" & what their peers are playing & that's when the lack of diversity comes into play. The stuff that has been programmed & directed to the kids has no real content, no lessons, no advice.. It's just catchy melodies & talk of money, drugs, **** with no real direction.

I'm at a point in my life where i could listen to a track like that & enjoy it for what it is, but for kids just being introduced to that it conditions them to think that's all that hiphop is. So now when a project comes out & does have a bit more substance or some real talk to it, some kids won't pick up on it because their ears ain't even trained to ingest it. Hence the trend of anyone who's a lyricist or actually raps being deemed as corny by a portion of young cats. We're creating a environment in rap where everything is about "fun" & real talk is being shunned & ignored.

Knowing the power of hiphop i can't sit here and cosign a movement that's only focusing on the negatives & is directly pushed to the youth.

The funny thing is that song sound like everything else y'all post in here. I just hate it a little more because he's white but it's all trash.

I think white people will takeover Rap like they took over Rock in the next 20 years.

Yall laughing at this “lil” ****, but look at WHO is co-opting and mimicking hood/hip hop nicknames.

It starts with “Lil Dicky”....then it gets to Lil Pump, Lil Peep, Lil Xan, Lil Yachty, Lil Windex or whatever troll, fly by night not really into rap culture, YouTube/troll is.

If you come up in ththe hood, you know a whole bunch of “Lil” etc. There is a clear difference between a Lil Baby and a Lil Xan. But ***** group em all together when the latter is fetishizining and making fun of “hip hop culture”

:smh:. That bothers me a lil bit. Nothing major....but it’s like if weird al yankovic called himself “mc yankovic”....and ***** took it seriously. The legitimizing of parody rap is the main issue I see today. And the lines get blurred once they throw an 808 and hold a gun in their video.

Nah man. We not rocking with that over here.

Yall laughing at this “lil” ****, but look at WHO is co-opting and mimicking hood/hip hop nicknames.

It starts with “Lil Dicky”....then it gets to Lil Pump, Lil Peep, Lil Xan, Lil Yachty, Lil Windex or whatever troll, fly by night not really into rap culture, YouTube/troll is.

If you come up in ththe hood, you know a whole bunch of “Lil” etc. There is a clear difference between a Lil Baby and a Lil Xan. But ***** group em all together when the latter is fetishizining and making fun of “hip hop culture”

:smh:. That bothers me a lil bit. Nothing major....but it’s like if weird al yankovic called himself “mc yankovic”....and ***** took it seriously. The legitimizing of parody rap is the main issue I see today. And the lines get blurred once they throw an 808 and hold a gun in their video.

glad you said it so i aint have to

even for the soundcloud acts that do it “seriously” theres a difference between some bored kid from the suburbs rapping about rappers’ lifestyle so he can have the lifestyle and someone like lil baby or lucci who just telling you their stories over trap beats

if this was 1997 lil baby would likely still exist over lil jon/JD/no limit type beats

“lil xan” “lil windex” would not

My taste in hop has always been everywhere. There is no DC or maryland hip hop sound so we listened to everybody. I can listen to Hov, Migos, Nas, Gucci, Pac, Future all in the same day. I listen to all of 'em for different reasons, they all have different talents.

Unless you’re a white, suburban, soundould listening, emo teenager.....

You wouldn’t be familiar with Lil Peep :lol:. I heard of him a few times, but couldn’t tell you anything about him other than seeing a Noisey article where they described him as mixing late 90s/early 2000s Emo Pop with SoundCloud rap

I ain't even know he was white til like Monday.

Ehhh Wavy a hit or miss at times. Over the years you've stated that a number of cats got next up, but they still on the sidelines.

Wavy FG% is definitely low 40's. He got some clutch baskets and some air balls.

I been said NY shoulda just tweaked grime for the Americas before it really caught on

Lil Freaky hard too tho

This is the perfect example of the critcism people have nowadays. This _ sounds like a thousand other _'s now. The beat, his flow, his lyrics sound like a million songs out.

glad you said it so i aint have to

even for the soundcloud acts that do it “seriously” theres a difference between some bored kid from the suburbs rapping about rappers’ lifestyle so he can have the lifestyle and someone like lil baby or lucci who just telling you their stories over trap beats

if this was 1997 lil baby would likely still exist over lil jon/JD/no limit type beats

“lil xan” “lil windex” would not

Lil Baby doesn't rap nearly as well as Mac, Soulja Slim, Fiend, Juvenile or BG.

NL and Cash Money was basically viewed as "mumble rap" back then but compared to these fools today, they sound like Jay and Nas.

yo i might have to check this **** out

this sounding too hard

and a jagged edge feature lol?

That Nu Africa track is flames, & these interviews he been giving are giving me more insight into his character in general. Def gotta give the project a full spin.

Cash money I’ll give to you them boys was spitting but No Limit def had more than a few artists who got by just because of the moment No limit was having and overall a lot of those beats and **** overall aged horribly.

This is the perfect example of the critcism people have nowadays. This _ sounds like a thousand other _'s now. The beat, his flow, his lyrics sound like a million songs out.

we cant act like this the first era this is the case tho

hip hop and the music industry by design is a follow the leader industry...thats gonna happen anytime u combine art and financial interest

That’s hood **** though. Crew luv. Y’all know this man :smh: :lol:.

True, but they all get grouped together like that cause the majority of them straight up suck regardless of their background :lol:

Lil Windex?

And he has some wannabe locs?

:smh:

Some of ya'll keep telling me there's nothing wrong with this picture, huh?

I remember Jamal form YBT, the white dude in House Party 2? Seems to be an abundance of that these days.

we cant act like this the first era this is the case tho

hip hop and the music industry by design is a follow the leader industry...thats gonna happen anytime u combine art and financial interest

This is the first era where biting is this rampant. You used to be able to tell where rappers are from by their style. ATL and Memphis sound is being ran into the ground.

**** it. It’s pointless :lol:.

Hate on :pimp:.

It ain't hate lol

Some of the baldamore and ATL dudes you post are... Well... Trash.

yo i might have to check this **** out
this sounding too hard

and a jagged edge feature lol?

Sampled 2pac - pain, - one of my favorite songs on the album

I try to be open minded when it comes to music from down south

The lil baby - my drip is a cool club record. Seen him on the Breakfast club

I heard you, but these rappers/Dj's/Labels opened the flood gates for these soundcloud ****** to do it....because fans lowered the standards of skill & originality so low that a ***** could spend two weeks watching youtube videos of real hood ****** & release music that is of the same quality.

I ain't doubting that Lil baby actually lived somewhat of the lifestyle he talks about, with that said based off the songs that i've seen posted he ain't saying nothing that is really separating himself from things a soundcloud rapper could easily pick up on. the detail, the authenticity in the MUSIC just ain't there. it's plug & play ****.

I jus made blah blah
I spent this on drugs
I could {insert wrestling move} to your *****
My diamonds doing
Insert catchy yet repetitive hook

there's a clear lack of writing ability that a lot of these artist show, A lot of the music is based off production & repeats of a very similar flow. The fans don't care enough about authenticity, so now when soundcloud rapper A comes in get's some jewelry thrown on em, tats his body up, & throws some guns in the video.... the young fans have nothing to differentiate the real from the fake. And that's mainly due to A lot of cats not really giving "their story" they just doing the bare minimal because they know they can get by.

I heard you, but these rappers/Dj's/Labels opened the flood gates for these soundcloud *****s to do it....because fans lowered the standards of skill & originality so low that a ***** could spend two weeks watching youtube videos of real hood *****s & release music that is of the same quality.

I ain't doubting that Lil baby actually lived somewhat of the lifestyle he talks about, with that said based off the songs that i've seen posted he ain't saying nothing that is really separating himself from things a soundcloud rapper could easily pick up on. the detail, the authenticity in the MUSIC just ain't there. it's plug & play ****.

I jus made blah blah
I spent this on drugs
I could {insert wrestling move} to your *****
My diamonds doing
Insert catchy yet repetitive hook

there's a clear lack of writing ability that a lot of these artist show, A lot of the music is based off production & repeats of a very similar flow. The fans don't care enough about authenticity, so now when soundcloud rapper A comes in get's some jewelry thrown on em, tats his body up, & throws some guns in the video.... the young fans have nothing to differentiate the real from the fake. And that's mainly due to A lot of cats not really giving "their story" they just doing the bare minimal because they know they can get by.

Yup. People have let the Lil Yachty's, Post Malone's, dudes that don't know **** or care about hip hop through the door so it's wide open for anybody to come through. Gave Lil B the hip hop legend stamp so if that's your bar for a legend of course the Lil Pumps and xxx are gonna be poppin.

Back
Top Bottom