Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Son got rainbow hair, rainbow grill, and 69 tatted, dude is definitely sweet.

Isn’t he the same dude from that bodega/sub shop wearing a woman’s bra?

But again, these are the new cats

It happens in music the same way here. You just may not be hip to it

I’m not limiting the discussion to music. This current age “disconnect” extends beyond music.

I haven’t observed the cultural disconnect between members of the same generation in any other ethic group as it pertains to culture and general outlook on a variety of subjects.

We have ****** that aren’t even 10 years apart in here pointing the finger at each other about their ages. ****** in here be 5 and 6 years apart and you’d think it was more like 15-20 the way some of this **** reads.

Imagine a group of young techies anywhere from 21-24 looking at Mark Zuckerberg and being like “Yo this ***** old as ****. **** what e talking bout”.

I just turned 24...good guess though I’d like to think I’m mature for my age.

Yeah that’s old. I should be teaching nd giving out wisdom at 34...I should be established in whatever I do.

Corny is pushing 40 cryin “back in my day....” I’ll pass on that

What wisdom do you have now? You plan on amassing all of this in the next ten years?

and you're not, I was thinking you were closer to 18 the way you talk about people 30 and 40. That's how I thought in high school, because after college that was the next step. In high school all you see is going to school.

So what will you be doing?

Listening to the same thing kids 16 do?

Nah I’ll listen to the **** from my era..and whatever I like from the current era. You don’t gotta listen to lil Uzi or all that other ****. No one has a gun to y’all ahead forcing you to listen to it. Hell I myself don’t like many of the new artists so guess what...I don’t listen to them

When that new lucci drop...guess what! I don’t have to whine about him all day I just don’t listen to it and keep it moving

Nah I’ll listen to the **** from my era..and whatever I like from the current era. You don’t gotta listen to lil Uzi or all that other ****. No one has a gun to y’all ahead forcing you to listen to it. Hell I myself don’t like many of the new artists so guess what...I don’t listen to them

When that new lucci drop...guess what! I don’t have to whine about him all day I just don’t listen to it and keep it moving

That n_ Lucci is so trash

That's all fine and good, and I understand your point, but you have to understand how protective some people are of this genre. Hip Hop, for a lot of us, was the end all be all. I learned so much from the gems dropped, a lot of us grew up with it.

It's the same reason Common made 'I Used to Love H.E.R.' Hip hop is sacred to a lot of us who grow up in bad situations and don't have anything to relate to anywhere else.

That's why when a generation passes the torch, and dude's start veering off into unexpected and, in a lot of cases, uninteresting directions we can get defensive. This is still a young genre. We're still paving our way, and anytime the sound shifts this much (IE NWA dropping) people are bound to react defensively (IE Common dropping The ***** In Yoo).

We're not just being old and pushing back against change, we want to maintain the respect our genre gets.

With that said, I'm a fan of a lot of the newer generation and what they're doing differently. Some of these ******, though...

If you think rap/hip-hop as it grows will always "sound good" or fit within your likes as you grow older you naïve. Time will change the sound of music and it's likely to move past where you want it or another genre will grow out of it and leave it. It's just how things go

Pretty much this. Just listen to what you like and move on. Goes back to what someone else said pages back on how we focus too much on the negative because of social media. Fact is this has been a great *** year from rap from all the sides of the coin

If you think rap/hip-hop as it grows will always "sound good" or fit within your likes as you grow older you naïve. Time will change the sound of music and it's likely to move past where you want it or another genre will grow out of it and leave it. It's just how things go
Definitely. I welcome the change. It's just human nature to push back at change, especially when it's something so personal to each one of us individually.

For the most part though, I like that these kids are trying things so far outside the box. Hip Hop been cool forever, and always pushed the envelope. This is just the next evolution of that, I suppose.

Wild how pop culture pretty much follows the trends set in Hip Hop. Even if it's something like having colorful dreads.:lol::sick:

Dude thinking 34 is old is just stupidity. :lol:

I'm 29. 5 years ago I didn't think "oh no in 10 years ima be old". That's a weird mindset to have. Some dudes are just some other ****.

There's a difference between making a cultural observation and critiquing the landscape in a vacuum....and focusing on every individual artist you may think is trash.

If I go into a Lil Uzi Vert thread to say he's trash everyday....if I go into a Lil Pump thread to say he's trash everyday...that's focusing on something that I supposedly don't like.

If I take them...and put them into a box, make a general observation and say "all 50 of the zesty colorful dudes" make bad music...it's just that...a GENERAL observation.

I'm not of the mind of only offering up an opinion when it's a positive one. It's art at the end of the day. It's to be critiqued...not only adorned by the people that like it.

Definitely. I welcome the change. It's just human nature to push back at change, especially when it's something so personal to each one of us individually.

For the most part though, I like that these kids are trying things so far outside the box. Hip Hop been cool forever, and always pushed the envelope. This is just the next evolution of that, I suppose.

Wild how pop culture pretty much follows the trends set in Hip Hop. Even if it's something like having colorful dreads.:lol::sick:

I was just tellin' my people that songs like Gucci Gang is just like the Crank Dat of this generation. Crank Dat was the "best song" when I was in high school. Song has zero substance but that was the jam. So I can understand how a 150 second long song where 60 secs is him sayin' "Gucci Gang" over and over could be popular. It ain't made for 25+ year olds. Let these kids enjoy they music. KRIT dropped an album for us, Kendrick dropped an album for us, Cyhi dropped an album for us we good.

I was just tellin' my people that songs like Gucci Gang is just like the Crank Dat of this generation. Crank Dat was the "best song" when I was in high school. Song has zero substance but that was the jam. So I can understand how a 150 second long song where 60 secs is him sayin' "Gucci Gang" over and over could be popular. It ain't made for 25+ year olds. Let these kids enjoy they music. KRIT dropped an album for us, Kendrick dropped an album for us, Cyhi dropped an album for us we good.
Agreed. When Crank Dat dropped, I was 1000% against it. Didn't respect anything unless there was a kufi somehow involved. At a certain point though, I just accepted the other side of Hip Hop. If you're not on your soapbox yelling about 'real hip hop', there's a lot of enjoyable sounds out there. While the lyrics don't match the previous eras, this is the most experimentation we've seen in the genre since break beats.

I'm willing to sit back and watch what it becomes.

Would you judge me if I told you I listen to Gucci Gang occasionally?:lol:

Agreed. When Crank Dat dropped, I was 1000% against it. Didn't respect anything unless there was a kufi somehow involved. At a certain point though, I just accepted the other side of Hip Hop. If you're not on your soapbox yelling about 'real hip hop', there's a lot of enjoyable sounds out there. While the lyrics don't match the previous eras, this is the most experimentation we've seen in the genre since break beats.

I'm willing to sit back and watch what it becomes.

Would you judge me if I told you I listen to Gucci Gang occasionally?:lol:

maaaan I got 3 Lil Pump tracks that I really enjoy. "Back" feat Lil Yachty is good to me. Lil Boat verse is better than I woulda guessed

Back
Top Bottom