Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Using gucci flip flops as a reason it's classic
laugh.gif
...The same way people look at rap moments in the 90's and go

"Cash Money had everyone rocking rees and girbauds"

Jay Z had that line in imaginary players where he ******* on a model of a car or something and i remember ppl on here saying it was lame to have that **** afterwards

same with hov and the jerseys on change clothes

It's less about the items themselves and moreso the fact that the music/moment/aura/aesthetic/etc. of these artists made those things (and a saying like "i just .... in sum gucci flip flops") become hot/staples at the time

but i think sometimes certain ppl on here already know stuff like this and want to play dumb 

Last edited:

Pac: versace, bandannas, nose rings, etc. etc.

It's less about the items themselves and moreso the fact that the music made those things and the saying of "i just .... in sum gucci flip flops" both becoming hot/staples at the time

but i think sometimes certain ppl on here already know stuff like this and want to play dumb 
What does this have to do with a specific Future album being classic? 

It's clearly in response to dude laughing at the idea of using Gucci flip flops to justify the album being a classic.

But like the post you quoted states, you all are playing dumb.

Jay Z had that line in imaginary players where he ******* on a model of a car or something and i remember ppl on here saying it was lame to have that **** afterwards

same with hov and the jerseys on change clothes

It's less about the items themselves and moreso the fact that the music/moment/aura/aesthetic/etc. of these artists made those things (and a saying like "i just .... in sum gucci flip flops") become hot/staples at the time

I cleaned it up to make what im tryna say clearer

but basically i view it as a classic because i just vividly remember how big his moment was the same way some No Limit or Cash Money albums are classic not because Beats By The Pound or Mannie Fresh were making avant garde ahead of its time music...but because the moment when they hit was just that big

We can see it even more quanitifed now with social media around to depict everything

Last edited:
It's clearly in response to dude laughing at the idea of using Gucci flip flops to justify the album being a classic.

But like the post you quoted states, you all are playing dumb.
Or maybe we just disagree with DS2 being some undeniable classic.

You ****** are acting like we debating Illmatic being classic.

This is a legit argument. Let's not act like DS2 being a classic is some WIDELY held opinion and we're trying to deny it. 

Or maybe we just disagree with DS2 being some undeniable classic.

You ****** are acting like we debating Illmatic being classic.

This is a legit argument. Let's not act like DS2 being a classic is some WIDELY held opinion and we're trying to deny it. 

Which is exactly the problem. It's not a widely held opinion. In a conversation of classic albums, DS2 will not be spoken of. Despite it being a good album.

Ultimately all we're doing is arguing opinions. Illmatic is not a classic to some people. Don't act as if there aren't people who would argue that Nas isn't a legend with the same fervor that you all use to say DS2 isn't a classic.

It's opinion-based, but based on the criteria set for what a classic is, DS2 fits.

It's opinion-based, but based on the criteria set for what a classic is, DS2 fits.
Huh? 

Enlighten me on what this criteria is. Isn't that also an opinion or is there some universally agreed upon criteria for what makes a classic album?

Last edited:
Since we're in the EDS thread, I'm going with the criteria Budden set during the discussion of classics (we can argue whether we agree with what the proposed criteria later).

@wavy crocket broke it down one page ago.

On that note...Budden also noted that consensus was key. He mentioned that even if he may not believe an album is classic, that he'd concede to it being so if the overwhelming majority of listeners put the classic label on it. 

With that said...I PERSONALLY haven't seen an overwhelming majority refer to DS2 as a classic. This is legit the first time I've ever seen an argument even be made for it. 

Last edited:
To be fair, time was also a factor tossed in to be considered. DS2 isn't a full 2 years old yet, so it's not a huge shocker that the claim hasn't been made. Add that in with the fact that people are still insistent on writing Future off as a trash rapper.

I have no problem with someone referring to DS2 as a classic album. I'm merely pointing out that no one is playing stupid by refuting that it is...on the strength that it is not an opinion shared by the masses. At least not from what I've seen.

Last edited:
I rock with future ds2 just not the one for me

56 nights is his classic

future the album is better than ds2 to me and I think it'll be looked at as more of a classic than ds2 will

Last edited:
bc everyday struggle has lowkey slowed down tbc's momentum...im sure the ratings are still there but ES has kinda replaced what TBC offered to the cutlure

Ultimately all we're doing is arguing opinions. Illmatic is not a classic to some people. Don't act as if there aren't people who would argue that Nas isn't a legend with the same fervor that you all use to say DS2 isn't a classic.

I love Future too but saying Illmatic ain't a classic is not the same as saying DS2 ain't a classic. :lol: Illmatic is itched in stone in Hip Hop history.

Listened to illmatic thoroughly this weekend and came to the conclusion those are the worse beats on a classic album. Listened to Ready to die front to back and the beats and rhymes were way better than illmatic. Ready to die > illmatic

In this generation ya'll don't even know what a classic is. You like an album and it's classic. You like it three years later and it has longevity.

You're so desperate for this music to mean something and have your moment. Tell me this 20 years from now.

In this generation ya'll don't even know what a classic is. You like an album and it's classic. You like it three years later and it has longevity.

You're so desperate for this music to mean something and have your moment. Tell me this 20 years from now.

Now this is the other end of the extreme. You don't need no damn 20 years to know if something is a classic. People ain't wait 5-10 years to say if albums from the 90's was classics. When Blueprint and GRODT dropped them albums called classics immediately.

Last edited:
Funny thing is there were no debates when those album dropped how great where though. No one debated GRODT status no debated blueprint status, they dropped and everyone knew.

People ain't doing that with all these albums people naming right now lol

Now this is the other end of the extreme. You don't need no damn 20 years to know if something is a classic. People ain't wait 5-10 years to say if albums from the 90's was classics. When Blueprint and GRODT dropped them albums called classics immediately.

We didn't talk in terms of an album as being a classic. The same day Kendrick comes out, it's classic. Nobody was having that discussion about Doggystyle. First, did you like the album. Is the album good.

These discussions you dudes have weren't always done.

And I don't remember this Blueprint and GRODT talk. Maybe amongst the 14 year olds who were listening to 50.

Post Source I notice everything you like has to be classic. When they brought that mic **** to music and people started talking about rap in those terms.

Sometimes an album is just a classic because of the impact it had and how big the moment was for the artist.

People do that with Carter 3.

Personally I think DS2 is getting/will get the Take Care treatment in that it becomes that artists' classic because they never will make anything cohesively as a whole better than that project.

I feel like if you took the best cuts from his pre-Pluto run and condensed them into 15 songs you'd have a legitimate diverse classic.

In 20 years when we see the effects of the xanned/perced/leaned out lifestyle a lot of this generation is living I think people are actually gonna take Future's music much more serious than they do now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom