Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

IMO the “mainstream” dont exist beyond the drake cole kendrick generation.

with social media its a free for all. and you are always one moment or song away from a instant rebrand.

Exactly.

If anything the balding comes from years of twisting and stretching with the scalp showing dreads.

I got a lil afro under my freeforms my scalp aint never seeing the air again no time soon hopefully :lol:

Lowkey I wanna take most of my length off and do free forms. But I know I'ma hate myself if I cut them :lol:

This a old pic but I'm like a decade deep

69A153DF-E47A-4AFC-83C0-FBD0FB498427.jpeg

I don't get it either with Cole. I dont understand how he finagled his way to the top with his discography. Maybe it was the commercial records like work out and crooked smile that got the masses first.
Cole really has no commercial hits. Not in the level of Jay or Nas when they were his age.

He had great buzz with The Warm Up and The Come Up. At that time in rap it truly was a breath of fresh air. I think that's part of why. He got the cosign by Jay and signed to Roc Nation during a time where signing to certain labels were beginning not to matter as much. In many ways he came up the way rappers use to come up. Obviously its different now but along with his peers at the time; Wale, Drake, etc. so I kinda think Cole was one of the last new ****** given that elevation.

Like I'm sure everybody has heard ppl try to make the parallel that some combination of Drake/Kendrick/Cole is the new Nas and Jay. Even though that's some bull it kinda shows ppl still want or need those types of figures to point to so rap isn't just all these club banger, party anthem, mumble rap ****.

The standards have changed even more since. So being dope just ain't enough for a guy like East.
You can throw Elzhi and Skyzoo on that list too. Not going to lie for a brief moment I thought Puff had one with Los, being from the hometown I was rooting for him and the fact that Puff had him on songs made think he was going to do good. Turns out it was the same old same old
I kept the list short but Elzhi definitely. Once he left Slim Village he thrived with his solo career and only continued to develop as a rap artist

With Sky, I'm a big fan but given his style I kinda figured he never would get that break. Back when they were in their zone it was Skyzoo, Torae, and Sha Stimuli. Aha doing it bit longer than the other two. I chose him cuz I honestly think he's the best out of the 3.

You just look at it though cuz Sha stopped trying. Elzhi still grinding, Papoose manages his wife. I'm not sure what Torae is doing but his output ain't as consistent. Sky still doing his thing but to me it's clear he's accepted being an underground artist. Most would be happy/lucky with a career like say Little Brother who has a following nationally.

As for Puff, rappers should know better and wise up. Puff is no longer in the business of promoting a dope *** rapper to be the face of Bad Boy. The last rapper to semi-benefit from that was Loon and he a Muslim now. Not to mention that run of Bad Boy was Puff's test to eventually make himself the main face and he ended up doing so with the Dirty Money run. Now he's not even interested in another Bad Boy run. Son is understandably more focused on his tv network Revolt and Ciroc. He gave Bad Boy to his sons.

Its why I don't get why Joyner Lucas was mad Puff ain't sign him. Like he ain't see how Puff just gave Los a semi chance, never an album release date, and mostly used him as a ghost writer. MGK got better treatment.
Cole had the Jay-Z co-sign originally so people gave him a chance. Then he became rap's nice guy and the opposite of Wale.

Which was important
Yeah I know that but some of those dudes either don't get it or 100% put it on the Jay cosign. And I partially get why they don't fully get how Cole is the guy that gets that shine even with the factors we already know about.

Think of how many dudes Jay gave a cosign, a feature, etc. who are doing it still? That's not Cole's only reason.

:lol: @ being rap's nice guy. I guess that helps.

Wale is a whole other issue. So much potential but I knew it wouldn't pan out when I saw how sensistiveI've was on NT. Son cares way too much about what other ppl think.

Of course. I think the earlier attempt at going mainstream helped tho. Work out and especially crooked smile was big.

Thug and Birdman really tried to get Wayne killed :smh:

Reach. Baby coulda stopped it though. If he wanted to send a real hitta...I doubt it would go like this. Though who knows.

From what I peeped...it was some random ***** that boiled over in the Compound...they had pressure. Pewee Roscoe felt played...called stunna to ask him if it was ok. Stunna told him do what you gotta do. And he did him.

Shame. Pewee was the lil kid from that MTV TI Rebrand show....”road to redemption”.....where TIP introduced him to the man he would later shoot at.

thats crazy that he was talking to the ***** that shot up his “son” bus like that whether he had something to do with the hit or not.

wayne is the only reason cash money exists oncr juvenile leaves. let alone nicki and drake going there. someone just gotta ask baby why.

Reach. Baby coulda stopped it though. If he wanted to send a real hitta...I doubt it would go like this. Though who knows.

From what I peeped...it was some random ***** that boiled over in the Compound...they had pressure. Pewee Roscoe felt played...called stunna to ask him if it was ok. Stunna told him do what you gotta do. And he did him.

Shame. Pewee was the lil kid from that MTV TI Rebrand show....”road to redemption”.....where TIP introduced him to the man he would later shoot at.

someone post that exact description of events on boxden.

that vid is crazy if he really introducinn him

Not ever playing that ********, I've tried to listen to that **** a few times and it's all trash.

Yo Jay's The City is Mine and Sunshine is fire, don't care whay anyone says

Back
Top Bottom