Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Dave has a fanbase too. You respectfully don’t check for his music and whatnot, which is cool. The man has fans (which I am one) and he makes music, solid enough for me to check for him
Of course he has a fanbase. The topic at hand was why he hasn't broke through and isn't at a bigger level. Him not utilizing social media in the way those artists you listed is a reason why

Dave has a fanbase too. You respectfully don’t check for his music and whatnot, which is cool. The man has fans (which I am one) and he makes music, solid enough for me to check for him

Exactly my point, East fans also aren't comprised of mostly 12-18 yr olds (as far as 69. Pump, Youngsta rtc etc) who just wanna troll the internet. his content isn't exactly geared towards that age group and neither is his persona. So it may not look like he has as much of a fanbase as they do.

He stands out, because he does rap in 2018

but in 2018 fans don't want anyone who raps.

and what the hell is musical talent?
The ability to create actualy great music.
Kendrick actually raps(far better than East) and delivers songs like DNA or Alright that have complex flows, cadences, patterns and melody that make it something you want to run back after you heard it while still being very lyrical.

That is musical talent, not just good lyrics.
I haven't heard any great songs from him, and it's because he's not good at making them. People are acting like East is Lupe with the lyrics meanwhile he's on records rapping the same **** as everyone else but less entertaining.

The ability to create actualy great music.
Kendrick actually raps(far better than East) and delivers songs like DNA or Alright that have complex flows, cadences, patterns and melody that make it something you want to run back after you heard it while still being very lyrical.

That is musical talent, not just good lyrics.
I haven't heard any great songs from him, and it's because he's not good at making them. People are acting like East is Lupe with the lyrics meanwhile he's on records rapping the same **** as everyone else but less entertaining.

You seem to equate musical talent to what you want.

So the ability to write or craft stories isn't musical talent, but humming like a three year old is?

And Dave does use complex flows, patterns and cadences.

J Cole didn't do any of that before his last album and is a mediocre producer. So he doesn't have musical talent?

And to that you say....

Interesting Dave East discussion.

Just reminds me of why Papoose, Sha Stimuli, and King Los ain't blow up.

Now granted Pap is a slightly different case since he was more in the vein of a Cabin is but with Los and Stimuli it was a head scratcher for why they ain't blow. Had all the tools. Skill and talent like crazy. Even developed pass the they're just lyrical rappers stigma in to artists making songs with messages.

They all usually even get that chance with a label but it simply doesn't go anywhere

That's going back to 2003-2006 give or take a year.

Its hard to pin down why these type of artists don't get that break. One thing that is common is they don't have any major hits.

But I know those dudes look at how Cole made it and don't completely get it.

Now granted Pap is a slightly different case since he was more in the vein of a Cabin is but with Los and Stimuli it was a head scratcher for why they ain't blow. Had all the tools. Skill and talent like crazy. Even developed pass the they're just lyrical rappers stigma in to artists making songs with messages.

They all usually even get that chance with a label but it simply doesn't go anywhere

Its hard to pin down why these type of artists don't get that break. One thing that is common is they don't have any major hits.

I don't get it either with Cole. I dont understand how he finagled his way to the top with his discography. Maybe it was the commercial records like work out and crooked smile that got the masses first.

The ***** has released three full length projects this year, how much more music do *****s be expecting from artist goddamn :lol:
Okay so he did drop a debut album, I was confused for a second
Word...only if I knew wtf he saying...
:rofl:

You can throw Elzhi and Skyzoo on that list too. Not going to lie for a brief moment I thought Puff had one with Los, being from the hometown I was rooting for him and the fact that Puff had him on songs made think he was going to do good. Turns out it was the same old same old

You seem to equate musical talent to what you want.

So the ability to write or craft stories isn't musical talent, but humming like a three year old is?

And Dave does use complex flows, patterns and cadences.

J Cole didn't do any of that before his last album and is a mediocre producer. So he doesn't have musical talent?

And to that you say....
Kendrick hums like a 3 year old and doesn't tell stories? Telling stories the exact same way people have told them the last two decades isn't talent, it's just cookie cutter. Telling them in a fresh package like Kendrick like we haven't heard before is.

I disagree with all your points, Dave doesn't have melodies or interesting patterns. J Cole has been doing that for multiple albums, in fact Born Sinner(his best project IMO) had all of that and that was 3 albums ago. A decade ago when Cole came out it rang bells, and he's been riding that wave/audience since. Dave East is trying to pop using that now in 2016-18. That's also you moving the goal post, because I never used JCole as an example of great musical talent.

Every musician ain’t meant to be on TV or mainstream radio.

Mick Jenkins is a GREAT emcee and conscious rapper. And I’m a huge fan. It’s not enough enough room for everyone.

That’s why some dudes be great in college, like Tim Tebow, but don’t make it in the NBA. But, that doesn’t eliminate what he did at the college level.

Same with Tavon Austin. His college highlight tape is an A+, his NFL highlight tape? Forgettable

Mick Jenkins is a GREAT emcee and conscious rapper. And I’m a huge fan. It’s not enough enough room for everyone.

That’s why some dudes be great in college, like Tim Tebow, but don’t make it in the NBA. But, that doesn’t eliminate what he did at the college level.

Same with Tavon Austin. His college highlight tape is an A+, his NFL highlight tape? Forgettable
Mick Jenkins at least came with a very unique style, The Waters didn't sound like anything else out. An average NY rapper can take the place of East on his tracks.

Kendrick hums like a 3 year old and doesn't tell stories? Telling stories the exact same way people have told them the last two decades isn't talent, it's just cookie cutter. Telling them in a fresh package like Kendrick like we haven't heard before is.

I disagree with all your points, Dave doesn't have melodies or interesting patterns. J Cole has been doing that for multiple albums, in fact Born Sinner(his best project IMO) had all of that and that was 3 albums ago. A decade ago when Cole came out it rang bells, and he's been riding that wave/audience since. Dave East is trying to pop using that now in 2016-18. That's also you moving the goal post, because I never used JCole as an example of great musical talent.

You shouldn't have used Kendrick as great musical talent. I was mocking you. You act as if Kendrick is Prince or Quincy Jones.

You pick and choose what you want to quantify it as "musical talent"

Kids use melody, that's how you remember stuff. That's A, B, C's. That's nursery rhymes. That's not ****in talent.

And I'm sure I've listened to a lot more Dave than you. He doesn't use typical rhyme patterns or flows all th etime.

Big Facts!

Noveliss is one of the best lyricist out there too.

And Tavon was the **** :pimp:. His Dunbar high school tape stuff of legend.

time to let them joints go before he starts entering jerry rice zone.

lil-wayne-performs-during-lil-weezyana-at-champions-square-on-august-picture-id1023585238

aside from the balding waynes dreads are hard.

they get like that when u let them grow over themselves naturally like we supposed to grow em.

bob marleys dreads wasnt twisted and ****.

aside from the balding waynes dreads are hard.

they get like that when u let them grow over themselves naturally like we supposed to grow em.

bob marleys dreads wasnt twisted and ****.

I let my new growth get up a bit and then barely twist my roots. I don't like that scalp showing ****.

Keep em washed, hit em with that mango lime sproil, light twists before I clip em and keep it movin.

Lastly, I can’t stand when y’all say “such and such should use different beats or producers”

But y’all ain’t telling Dolph, Future, Young Thug, 21 Savage, etc to use different producers and beats...

because usually people are wanting “such and such” to use the producers that Dolph, Future, Thug, 21, etc.

East could easily catch a hit with Tay Keith or Wheezy

I let my new growth get up a bit and then barely twist my roots. I don't like that scalp showing ****.

Keep em washed, hit em with that mango lime sproil, light twists before I clip em and keep it movin.

Exactly.

If anything the balding comes from years of twisting and stretching with the scalp showing dreads.

I got a lil afro under my freeforms my scalp aint never seeing the air again no time soon hopefully :lol:

Back
Top Bottom