Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Eh I don't really care to compare quality, thats a boring topic to me :lol:

My point was more about the idea of understanding that if you're this type of rapper you gonna to "dumb yourself down", come up with a new formula and/or work on a different skill set if you wanna get in that arena play ball.

Just being good at rapping don't cut it. You can still show off your skills but the record comes before that

I think the hardest thing is self discovery and figuring out how to do it in a way thats true to yourself. Jay and Kendrick crack off hits but the records never really feel forced or like they reaching. Those Uzi and Chris Brown records just felt awkward as hell to me

To keep it a buck East is going through the inverse of cats who get called mumble rappers & deal with that stigma although their skillset is beyond that. He gets lumped in as a "lyrical rapper" & people act as if he can't make songs that fit in today's climate when that's far from the truth

The records are there for sure.

If it was “strictly about rapping” Canibus and Immortal Technique would be mainstream GOATS. We know it’s about making “songs”.

But, you also have the completely talentless people like Desiigner and Blac Youngsta who just act dumb. People don’t like Youngsta or Desiigner for their music.

Again, you still need musical talent. Period.

If you like the antics and schit show of certain artists, that’s cool. But on the flipside, don’t get upset at people who like lyricism

Lastly, I can’t stand when y’all say “such and such should use different beats or producers”

But y’all ain’t telling Dolph, Future, Young Thug, 21 Savage, etc to use different producers and beats...

Eh I don't really care to compare quality, thats a boring topic to me. Because tbh if this was the 90s Dave East prolly wouldn’t even stand out much

My point was more about the idea of understanding that if you're this type of rapper you gonna to "dumb yourself down", come up with a new formula and/or work on a different skill set if you wanna get in that arena play ball.

Just being good at rapping don't cut it. You can still show off your skills but the record comes before that

I think the hardest thing is self discovery and figuring out how to do it in a way thats true to yourself. Jay and Kendrick crack off hits but the records never really feel forced or like they reaching. Those Uzi and Chris Brown records just felt awkward as hell to me

I agree for the most part. Kendrick hits work cuz it's a combination of his talent with interscope's marketing. If Kendrick had signed to def jam he might still be at Sections 80 level the way they run their label. Kendrick got commercials and movies playing his music.

Those Uzi and Chris records were trash. :lol: Cuz people look at East like he's better than that. I think this record should be bigger but is Def Jam pushing it? Is NY radio getting behind it? Nah.

To keep it a buck East is going through the inverse of cats who get called mumble rappers & deal with that stigma although their skillset is beyond that. He gets lumped in as a "lyrical rapper" & people act as if he can't make songs that fit in today's climate when that's far from the truth

The records are there for sure.

Yeah I can agree with that, he definitely can make the records. He’s had a few that show he can do it, it’s just something weird there that’s hard to explain and it has to do with his flow/cadence

I think the reason his East mixes are so good is because theirs already a record and hot *** flow/cadence in place. The heavy lifting is done and he just has to come in and put his spin on it but his “spin” feels completely effortless, comfortable and sometimes better than the original, for me personally. He kinda makes those tracks his own, takes these good flows and actually raps with real bars with them and that takes it to a different place

Get this _ some skeleton reference tracks with just flows and he a superstar, the **** already love him :lol:

Last edited:
Didn't somebody call Dave a supermodel crip or something a while back?

His fanbase largely being women is probably what's holding him back.

Works for Drake

The women who like him don't listen to his music.

He's a New York artist who raps. That doesn't work in 2018, unless you've been rapping for decades(Jay and Nas)

Drake is kind of the exception. He came before this current crop of rappers. And he built his base off of appealing to both fanbases.

There's just nothing special about East. His music sounds like a generic NY rapper from the last decade, and has yet to really show any musical talent. What sound does he really have?

There's just nothing special about East. His music sounds like a generic NY rapper from the last decade, and has yet to really show any musical talent. What sound does he really have?

This is how I feel. He's cool, but he doesn't stand out to me in any way

Yeah I can agree with that, he definitely can make the records. He’s had a few that show he can do it, it’s just something weird there that’s hard to explain and it has to do with his flow/cadence

I think the reason his East mixes are so good is because theirs already a record and hot *** flow/cadence in place. The heavy lifting is done and he just has to come in and put his spin on it but his “spin” feels completely effortless, comfortable and sometimes better than the original, for me personally. He kinda makes those tracks his own, takes these good flows and actually raps with real bars with them and that takes it to a different place

Get this _ some skeleton reference tracks with just flows and he a superstar, the **** already love him :lol:

Honestly i think the push from the label isn't coming on the right records or they aren't getting him on official remixes. With that said dude works with a lot of different artist, releases a good amount of music & isn't heavy on the antics. As long as Def Jam doesn't completely **** him up i think he'll carve out a nice career. I don't know about superstar status because only a few are really that these days, but the talent is there to carve out a nice career.

Dave East walking around 125th and people going crazy makes you wonder why he can't get a album
His team/label scared of flopping :smh: ...And also, East got bangers but they never take off for whatever reason ...He even tries to get the features on his projects poppin n that aint get enough buzz :lol: :smh:

Last edited:

I mean how many Artist these days have a distinct sound that they could call their own? It's not many. and i would argue that him taking hints of 90's early 2000's east coast rap & updating a bit as far as production & flows go is pretty distinct in rap right now.

pretty much.

he couldnt have been rappin more than 6 months before he broke through. he sounds super average but he scores points bc he's from NY and doesnt sound like "the lils". in 2018, thats enough for ***** to think you the next nas.

his celebrity stems from bein a pro IG thot.

Honestly i think the push from the label isn't coming on the right records or they aren't getting him on official remixes. With that said dude works with a lot of different artist, releases a good amount of music & isn't heavy on the antics. As long as Def Jam doesn't completely **** him up i think he'll carve out a nice career. I don't know about superstar status because only a few are really that these days, but the talent is there to carve out a nice career.

This

Arguably nothing, but they all, maybse aside from Dolph, built there fanbases in a similar fashion. East hasn't

Dave has a fanbase too. You respectfully don’t check for his music and whatnot, which is cool. The man has fans (which I am one) and he makes music, solid enough for me to check for him

Back
Top Bottom