college dropout didn't age well for me

there are classic songs on it tho

it's still a classic to me tho off impact alone

I only have late registration as a personal classic tho

Last edited:
By the time you that far into the song, you minus whale let GTG rock
laugh.gif
Can't do it, skipped every time after the first half

Internet has changed the Rap/Hip Hop world for the worst if were talking about classic albums.The only reason why The Weekend is considered to have classics.Is because hes executed like rappers should.He puts out albums.Then promote it by just shooting videos.He doesnt put out 1-3 mixtapes a year before the album.That part of the game has killed possible classic albums.

Example=Wayne shouldve put some of his C3 throwaways.Dedication mixtape songs on C3 and shot videos for most of the album.While promoting it for 2 years atleast.Some of the throwaway songs are album material.He shouldve released 1 mixtape with the average songs on there.Internet has most of these cats giving away to much material before an actual album release.

Thats why we dont get classics as much as we use to.90,s era rappers had time to record there best material.Not like now.To where they just record alot of songs.Then release some of there best songs on a mixtape.Rappers need to start doing what R&B cats are doing.Release an album every 2-3 years.With there best work.Jay,Nas,Em,Dre still do it.Fans have gotten spoiled to where they think they should receive songs every couple of months.Its like the fast food concept.

Material has to be pumped out so fast now.That the majority of it isnt good.Unless if your fan that just likes to hear a certain type sound 24/7 with no change up in style.This is the big reason why we dont get classic albums at the rate we did before 2007.Kendrick,Jay,Nas,Outkast,UGK,Big,Pac,Scarface,Pun wouldnt be who they are.If they released 2-4 albums/mixtapes a year.There sound/formula would be used up and dry.

In this climate of the Rap Game.Its easy for these artist to do the microwave hustle.Make 100 songs on Trap Beats that sound alike.Then flood the internet.You decrease your quality/Brand in the long term by doing that.Dont get me wrong.People still love Gucci.But theres alot of microwave rappers from when he started that you've forgotten about.

Wrong. Weeknd tapes are classics because it was unexpected quality, and he helped change the landscape of r&b.

We don't get classics like we used to because in the 90s rap was still young and had room for plenty innovation. Rap is older and with age, it makes it more difficult for innovative projects to drop

carter 3 tracks weren't throw aways

people were leaking his songs

so he scrapped the whole og album and dropped what we know as tha carter 3

The term classic album gets thrown around so loosely.

Not every top rapper has a classic.

Your right about unexpected quality from The Weekend.But thats my point.His music is so good.That he just kept doing the samething and succeeded.His tapes where basically albums.Since he wasnt signed at first.We call them Tapes/Mixtapes.After he signed.Nothing changed.He makes the same type of music.Its just with a budget to grt different producers.And to film videos with.The Weekend doesn't release 2-4 mixtapes a year like these rappers do just to promote a album.

It has nothing to do with how Rap has progressed.The quality hasnt gotten better at all.The quality in these rappers have decreased.The rappers i named up top make quality music.They would never have to water down there brand by releasing so much music just to satisfy this younger generation of fans.Ill take a new artist who would make a GKMC,Atliens,Ridin Dirty,Blue Print,Life is good,Aeom ever 1-2 years.As opposed to what every new rapper is doing nowadays.Make 100 trap songs about the same subject matter.

Then after 4-5 there run hits a wall because theyve made so many songs.Artist like the legends i named dont have to release so much music while wearing there brand out.You see Miguel,Maxwell,Nas,Hov doing what these new artist are doing.See where im going.If a new rapper comes out with the skill set of The Weekend in rap format.Like a new Jay,Nas,Pac,Kendrick, they wont have to do what these other rappers are doing.They could release an album ever 1-2.Just released videos.

Its levels in quality of music.From a sound stand point.This is not technically rap anymore.Thats why real rappers like jay can still flourish.Singing over Trap beats with the song being 70 percent hook/chorus is not Rapping.Like Scarface said.This is literally the Disco era of rap.Any new rapper that comes out.Looks and sounds like the next.Its like were getting the Pooty Tang matrix of Hop hip artist right now.Kids dont even represent where there from.Hip Hop is about representing where your from while being original.

Please tell me how its progressed since the 90,s-2007.From what i see its just a formula now.The look=Distressed skinny jeans,Chokers,dreads.Sounds=Anything that sounds halfway like a trap beat.Get migos or future or travis scott to feature.If not,do your best to make song that sounds like them.Hip Hop/Rap stopped progressing in the mid 2000,s.

We still get 'classics' we just don't perceive them as such due to how we receive music now. There's way too many curators and people with voices.

Long gone are days where XXL, The Source, would curate albums and give their reviews before albums dropped, programming the way the masses would receive the music. This mattered because the amount of music we had access to was finite for that 3 to 5 month period. We were living with these bodies of work and already programmed to view a certain body of work in a certain way.

How can you have classics when there's just sooo much music being delivered on a daily basis? You can't even live with a project long enough for it to be a classic it seems. Just this year alone, Drake, Future, Ross, Sean, Wale, Cole, Joey Badass, meek about to drop, ye about to drop, Kendrick, All in this year. That's wild.

Your right about unexpected quality from The Weekend.But thats my point.His music is so good.That he just kept doing the samething and succeeded.His tapes where basically albums.Since he wasnt signed at first.We call them Tapes/Mixtapes.After he signed.Nothing changed.He makes the same type of music.Its just with a budget to grt different producers.And to film videos with.The Weekend doesn't release 2-4 mixtapes a year like these rappers do just to promote a album.

It has nothing to do with how Rap has progressed.The quality hasnt gotten better at all.The quality in these rappers have decreased.The rappers i named up top make quality music.They would never have to water down there brand by releasing so much music just to satisfy this younger generation of fans.Ill take a new artist who would make a GKMC,Atliens,Ridin Dirty,Blue Print,Life is good,Aeom ever 1-2 years.As opposed to what every new rapper is doing nowadays.Make 100 trap songs about the same subject matter.

Then after 4-5 there run hits a wall because theyve made so many songs.Artist like the legends i named dont have to release so much music while wearing there brand out.You see Miguel,Maxwell,Nas,Hov doing what these new artist are doing.See where im going.If a new rapper comes out with the skill set of The Weekend in rap format.Like a new Jay,Nas,Pac,Kendrick, they wont have to do what these other rappers are doing.They could release an album ever 1-2.Just released videos.

Its levels in quality of music.From a sound stand point.This is not technically rap anymore.Thats why real rappers like jay can still flourish.Singing over Trap beats with the song being 70 percent hook/chorus is not Rapping.Like Scarface said.This is literally the Disco era of rap.Any new rapper that comes out.Looks and sounds like the next.Its like were getting the Pooty Tang matrix of Hop hip artist right now.Kids dont even represent where there from.Hip Hop is about representing where your from while being original.

Please tell me how its progressed since the 90,s-2007.From what i see its just a formula now.The look=Distressed skinny jeans,Chokers,dreads.Sounds=Anything that sounds halfway like a trap beat.Get migos or future or travis scott to feature.If not,do your best to make song that sounds like them.Hip Hop/Rap stopped progressing in the mid 2000,s.
The quality in Hip-Hop right now is awesome and extremely diverse.

Also too, and probably more important to anything in regards to classics,

is that we've been conditioned as a culture to identify certain subject matters, and certain sound / texture / feel to associate a classic hip-hop album with.

But in today's Hip-Hop realm, most of the top tier artists don't fit that mold at all. Quite simply, if you think Me Against The World, illmatic, Blueprint, are classics, then of course Drake or Cole or Sean or Future or whoever don't have any classics. The infusion of melody among other things, in Hip-Hop's biggest rap stars, has made for a climate that's drastically different from the 'classics' of yesterday.

Rap and Hip-Hop has changed, but I don't know if our sensibilities have changed in regards to classics. It makes sense why the only guy with a 'classic' during this time is Kendrick, because he's the one that closely identifies with the classic rappers of the past.

I wouldnt say awesome but i would say its underrated & over hated. I agree on the diverse part completely tho. For better or worse idk how anyone can say otherwise bout that
I mean with the internet, there's no excuse to say that Hip-Hop is in a bad state quality wise.

There's just such a variety of popping acts right now. From Drake, to Chance, Super, Rick Ross, Kanye, Meek out here, Kendrick killing, cole out here, Big Sean out here, Joey Badass last project was dope, YG out here, hell if that's your thing i'm hearing good things about Logic's album,

I really could go on. It's just lazy to say Hip-Hop is nothing but a bunch of 21 savages and lil uzi's and what not.

Last edited:
From the video yesterday, I agree with Joe on two points. The word classic gets thrown around too loosely and some albums that are great don't deserve the classic title. Cult classic is a better fit. He made the point of TM101. Back then, Jeezy was that dude and I loved that album, still do, but it does not get the talk and acclaim around it of a classic album.

For me, there are five elements to what makes an album classic and at least 3 of the 5 elements have to be met

1. Impact - If an album changes the game, then it should definitely be in consideration for the title

2. Fan reception - I list this because sometimes critics mess with the album more than fans do. Yeezus comes to mind. Fan reception was divided but critics koved that ****

3. Critic reception - While critic reception isn't as inportant, it's an additional element that cements an albums status

4. Majority of songs have to be good songs - Nobody would call an album an classic if only 5 out of 10 songs were good. For me, 80% of the album has to be good.

5. Time - Time is important for me. People are quick these days to drop the label. The day it released, Damn was already called a classic here. Time will tell if it's timeless. An example for me is Dedication 2 by Wayne. When that came out, it was declared a classic and I would've agreed. However, it didn't age well at all for me.

For me, the most important elements are fan reception, majority of songs have to be good, and time. The other two are just additional elements that gives further reason to use that title.

Last edited:
Carter 1 always was better than 2 to me. However, Carter 2 has two of my favorite Wayne songs period in Tha Mobb and Hustler Musik

Back
Top Bottom