Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

iokno if yall following this 69 and trippie red kerfuffle, but folks is turning on trippie

Man Wale is his own biggest obstacle. I rock with son’s music heavy, but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, his antics over the years make him look funny in the light. He’s not satisfied with the amount of success he’s garnered for himself and goes full emo as a result. In the long runs, his fans feel like they’re being s***ted on, and people who aren’t hip to him or his rapping capabilities steer clear.

All dude has to do is rap and let the chips fall where they may.
He had the herbal tea crowd in his back pocket for a while but the BS turned people off. You have to have great projects if your gonna play the arrogant "I better than them" role.

Imo, he’s got a great body of work with The Album About Nothing. That was my favorite album of 2015. From what I recall, that was a #1 album when it dropped. And the rest of his albums have gotten good reception save for SHiNE. So he’s got the quality catalogue, but he acts as if it’s his duty to tell us how dope or good his music is. That’s *** backwards.

Artist are supposed to drop the music and let the fans receive it. Not drop music, get good feedback from that music, and then express disdain that it wasn’t enough good feedback. Keeping it a buck, he looks corny when he carries himself like that.

The infamous Complex list meltdown, going up to everyday struggle last year to argue with Ak, meltdown at the wrestling match... Fam, do you know how much of a cornball you have to be acting like to where Dj Akademiks looks like he’s getting under your skin?

How is it not debatable. Everybody ain't prying into the personal lives of these artists and know every detail about em. There was one dude in here who didnt even know he was Nigerian

Point is he was once in the class with Kendrick and Cole and he removed himself from it

Think that was more for the "if you been listening to him" crowd. This ***** been talking about being African on tracks since I was in high school.

I don't remember listening to any of dudes actual albums :lol: mixtape/gogo beat Wale was the truth though.

Imo, he’s got a great body of work with The Album About Nothing. That was my favorite album of 2015. From what I recall, that was a #1 album when it dropped. And the rest of his albums have gotten good reception save for SHiNE. So he’s got the quality catalogue, but he acts as if it’s his duty to tell us how dope or good his music is. That’s *** backwards.

Artist are supposed to drop the music and let the fans receive it. Not drop music, get good feedback from that music, and then express disdain that it wasn’t enough good feedback. Keeping it a buck, he looks corny when he carries himself like that.

The infamous Complex list meltdown, going up to everyday struggle last year to argue with Ak, meltdown at the wrestling match... Fam, do you know how much of a cornball you have to be acting like to where Dj Akademiks looks like he’s getting under your skin?
Yeah Album About Nothing got some good reviews and I think it went gold but he acts like he dropping classic after classic and people ain't recognizing. :lol:

It's good to what more but at some point you gotta be realistic. You ain't Kendrick or Cole bruh. Now that I think about it I never woulda thought Big Sean would be bigger at this point than Wale.

if Wale started a podcast and became fully self sufficient content creator (podcast, youtube channel, vlogging, live streams in studio, sell his own merch, put out his own music) I bet he becomes 5x bigger.

Like if someone who reached Wale’s level of fame (or infamy) took the Joe Budden 2016-now approach and followed it up with music, it would be gold.

I’d bump a Wale podcast heavier than I’ve bumped any of his music since I was in high school.

if Wale started a podcast and became fully self sufficient content creator (podcast, youtube channel, vlogging, live streams in studio, sell his own merch, put out his own music) I bet he becomes 5x bigger.

Like if someone who reached Wale’s level of fame (or infamy) took the Joe Budden 2016-now approach and followed it up with music, it would be gold.

I’d bump a Wale podcast heavier than I’ve bumped any of his music since I was in high school.

LMAO

I'm laughing at how brilliant of an idea this is :lol :lol this would absolutely work IMO and not just for wale, but any rapper with a real tangible following taking a more grassroots approach like podcasting, vlogging, etc.

LMAO

I'm laughing at how brilliant of an idea this is :lol: :lol: this would absolutely work IMO and not just for wale, but any rapper with a real tangible following taking a more grassroots approach like podcasting, vlogging, etc.

its really that simple.

content just wins now.

i found myself getting swooped into gary vee’s social media ecosystem just off how much good content he creates from interviews even just to motivational short videos. a nipsey hussle interview turned into me subscribing/following all of his social media accounts on ig twitter youtube.

imagine if someone who actually creates art and has gone gold and platinum off of said art took this approach of just letting people into discussion/video of its creation, and the circumstances surrounding it.

Lowkey I feel like Kanye wanna do this but he also wanna keep the mystique. He said he films everything and I think videos like the Ti vs. Ye convo would be amazing because Im sure he produces content like that daily (great convos that turn into songs).

lowkey if every rapper built their fanbase like this and hit the regular media New York circuit of Vlad/complex/genius/hot 97/breakfast club, why do you need a label?

its really that simple.

content just wins now.

i found myself getting swooped into gary vee’s social media ecosystem just off how much good content he creates from interviews even just to motivational short videos. a nipsey hussle interview turned into me subscribing/following all of his social media accounts on ig twitter youtube.

imagine if someone who actually creates art and has gone gold and platinum off of said art took this approach of just letting people into discussion/video of its creation, and the circumstances surrounding it.

Lowkey I feel like Kanye wanna do this but he also wanna keep the mystique. He said he films everything and I think videos like the Ti vs. Ye convo would be amazing because Im sure he produces content like that daily (great convos that turn into songs).

lowkey if every rapper built their fanbase like this and hit the regular media New York circuit of Vlad/complex/genius/hot 97/breakfast club, why do you need a label?

Labels are needed nowadays primarily for the distribution and you're average rapper isnt built for that .

Well here's one reason right here...The label can put u on to these platforms without even having to be hot like that....to get these kinda placements by yourself you really gotta have something special going on or have a relationship past music

Labels are needed nowadays primarily for the distribution and you're average rapper isnt built for that .

what’s being distributed if literally albums are dropped via a link that takes you to where you choose between tidal/spotify/apple/google play

once you get one of those links (which i assume a label is not needed for), what else is being distributed? big time artists are lucky to move 100k physical copies now.

what’s being distributed if literally albums are dropped via a link that takes you to where you choose between tidal/spotify/apple/google play

once you get one of those links (which i assume a label is not needed for), what else is being distributed? big time artists are lucky to move 100k physical copies now.

It's not as simple as that. The record labels have to make deals with these services to license all that ****. Your stuff just doesnt pop up on tidal or spotify. Specifically my point is that the labels do all the behind the door **** that your average rapper doesnt wanna do. A ***** like Lil Pump doesnt wanna be in those meetings working out deals and handling the business. He just wants to sign the signature that gets him his check.

My understanding of the allure of a deal(360) is that it takes a lot of the work(interviews, setting up shows, advertising, studio time etc) out of it. But couldn't building your own team do the same thing?

It's not as simple as that. The record labels have to make deals with these services to license all that ****. Your stuff just doesnt pop up on tidal or spotify. Specifically my point is that the labels do all the behind the door **** that your average rapper doesnt wanna do. A ***** like Lil Pump doesnt wanna be in those meetings working out deals and handling the business. He just wants to sign the signature that gets him his check.

I see what you saying for playlist placement. Which is arguable on that front...that can be achieved with a slick manager/networker in your corner or just a legitimately hot record. Everyone’s goals dont even require that tho.
its essentially the new radio payola.

As far as just getting on those services, you can go thru various free services to handle that and eat with exponentially less hands in your pockets than if u were with a label. Tunecore being one.

That India love will i am song a few months ago that was od trash was essentially a commercial for an app that could upload your **** to all those services for free with a buttontap.

**** actually looks way too good to be true.

https://amuse.io/

I don’t know who I like more between Gunna and Baby....Baby more consistent but Gunna got them melodies

I listen to Gunna more today, but Lil Baby has the higher ceiling.

That's dope Cole taking Thug on tour. Thug has gotten so many co-signs and still fumbles to reach that level. :lol: :smh:

I’ve accepted the fact we’ve already seen him peak :ohwell: he can’t go long enough without doing something senseless.

Wale tripping. Like Wizkid or Davido can say they not popping here cuz they African, you can’t. ***** you from MoCo :lol:

Drake and Lil Baby
Cold and Thugger

I ain’t even mad at all of it. Also, Gunna is cool. He’s not as dope as Lil Baby....but he got some heat. Spending addiction got a lot of jewels in there if you listen closely. He got some moments where he drops some real ****.
Other than depression, my life been going smooth”

“F*** the judge, gave my cousin elbow
Locked him up, put him in a hellhole
They hope that he rotting out in mildew
Ain't seen him since my first year of high school
I'ma pay his way out for 'bout a mil or two
Ten years been riding, I made sure he had some food
I held that **** down, now look what we can do“

:hat

Wale’s frustrations are understandable.....but he’s had a considerable amount of success. And for a period from about 2012-2015....was a top tier rapper capable of going gold-platinum with top 40 hits.

At the end of the day...Cole/Kendrick/Drake all make better pop rap music than Wale and are more likeable and marketable. Everybody can’t be “that guy”. He let Big Sean take his “spot”. He’s still doing fine though. He just needs to move strategically.....which he won’t.

I def understand how he’s bitter about Afro beat and the poetry-esque raps :lol. But it doesn’t matter who did it first....

Back
Top Bottom