Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Breh this convo is about rappers and they're bringing up female actors, female entertainers, and even presidents :smh:

Then gon say it ain't been no dark rapper on that level since kanye and Kendrick Lamar don't count :lol:

So J Cole wasn't right when he acknowledges that he wouldn't be as successful if he were dark?

Some people can't handle the discussion.

That's why it's funny, because actual discussions always get reduced. That's why I asked @tyisny what discussions was Kanye causing. He couldn't even expand on his own thoughts thoroughly. The discussion was and is Kanye, and that's the way he wanted it.

If you're going to talk about slavery you have to talk about the affects of slavery, and that's why light skin blacks were in the house and the darker ones were in the field. You have to acknowledge it to change things.

We know about the lightskin being inside, darker ones being outside. Majority of the lightskin slaves were a product of rape.

But again, that’s besides the point. My point is, does them being light make them better? That may be how YOU feel, but people such as myself don’t care.

We know about the lightskin being inside, darker ones being inside. Majority of the lightskin slaves were a product of rap.

But again, that’s besides the point. My point is, does them being light make them better? That may be how YOU feel, but people such as myself don’t care.

Stop quoting me.

So J Cole wasn't right when he acknowledges that he wouldn't be as successful if he were dark?

Explain Wayne and Kendrick. This past decade these are the most commercially successful rappers

Wayne, drake, Kendrick, Cole, kanye

2 of them are dark one is so so

8F31AF64-0E7D-4DFF-B885-459F0E79B61A.jpeg

I don't think you guys get what magic is trying to say AT ALL

We understand this guy but, he ain’t making NO sense.

There have been plenty successful Darksin emcees. He himself is speaking from an inferior perspective. He already feels as if he’s been treated unjustly, by white people. So, he values whatever standards they’ve created

We understand this guy but, he ain’t making NO sense.

There have been plenty successful Darksin emcees. He himself is speaking from an inferior perspective. He already feels as if he’s been treated unjustly, by white people. So, he values whatever standards they’ve created

No you're just stupid, and I'm speaking to the adults in the room.

You need to sit in the corner and color.

I don't think you guys get what magic is trying to say AT ALL

Because he's taking the argument outside of male RAPPERS

He posted articles talking about women in the business, hell yea colorism affects black women in all industries, and no barack wouldn't be president if he was dark.

But we are talking about Rappers and rappers only.

Because he's taking the argument outside of male RAPPERS

He posted articles talking about women in the business, hell yea colorism affects black women in all industries, and no barack wouldn't be president if he was dark.

But we are talking about Rappers and rappers only.

and it still helps Drake and J Cole just like it helps in most other industries in Amerikkka.

Two of the three biggest rappers are light with huge female fan bases.

Nobody is saying it's the only reason they are successful or you can't be successful if you aren't light. Some of you seem to be having your own discussions that nobody in this topic has said.

J Cole says that being light has helped him.

Never said Kendrick didn’t count... I just pointed out his family tree of success. Stars aligned for that brother.

And it hasn’t been a dark skin rapper since Kanye to reach that height of success.

Lil Wayne
50 Cent
Ross
Jeezy
Game
Gucci Mane
Meek Mill
Future

Endless list of successful rappers with darker complexion. What else they have in common? Same musical content. The one that doesn’t is Kendrick. So that totally proves yall point right? One non threatening brown skin dude from COMPTON. Hell I’ll spot y’all Lupe. So two lol.

What Cole said was spot on.

It's funny how we expect white people to have conversations on race, when we can't even have these discussions.

We quickly dismiss it.

Meanwhile black women are getting weave and blonde hair.

We dismiss it as them wanting to be white and "their" issue. Meanwhile a lot of us lust after hispanic and white women like Kim Kardashian. But we don't see our part in the process.

Once again bringing up women when everyone already agreed mask knows that it affects our women.

Why wale ain't say this when he was on the radio and going gold? Why he wait till he sold 10k record?

Never said Kendrick didn’t count... I just pointed out his family tree of success. Stars aligned for that brother.

And it hasn’t been a dark skin rapper since Kanye to reach that height of success.

Lil Wayne
50 Cent
Ross
Jeezy
Game
Gucci Mane
Meek Mill
Future

Endless list of successful rappers with darker complexion. What else they have in common? Same musical content. The one that doesn’t is Kendrick. So that totally proves yall point right? One non threatening brown skin dude from COMPTON. Hell I’ll spot y’all Lupe. So two lol.

What Cole said was spot on.

Exactly. He won’t list the number of light skin rappers that have flopped. For ever successful lightskinned rappers, there have been lightskinned rappers who have been complete duds

It's funny how we expect white people to have conversations on race, when we can't even have these discussions.

We quickly dismiss it.

Meanwhile black women are getting weave and blonde hair.

We dismiss it as them wanting to be white and "their" issue. Meanwhile a lot of us lust after hispanic and white women like Kim Kardashian. But we don't see our part in the process.

Ummmm.. they just as guilty.
No, it effects black people in this country

Not just women

That’s their problem. Stop trying to help people who don’t want to be saved.

Exactly. He won’t list the number of light skin rappers that have flopped. For ever successful lightskinned rappers, there have been lightskinned rappers who have been complete duds

No I’m saying labels, media, public, white ppl etc have no problem pumping out and accepting the worst black male stereotypes from darker complexion rappers and elevating they platform and appeal to the masses.

But the only ones they will give alternative content too and a huge push, support etc are light skin. And I’m highlighting that by pointing out whose been popping since Kanye started the trend in mainstream/popular rap back in 03 of being conscious and “cool”... or whatever you call it.

I don’t even get the argument. No one is saying you can’t be dark and be a star but you’re ****in crazy if you think Aubrey and Cole aren't more popular because they’re light. Aubrey seems very safe to families and households that are full of people that lock their doors or clutch their phones when a black kid comes by.

Dark women >>>> Light women

It's just going in circles.

Again, y'all keep moving the goalpost. "You gotta be dark and make Kanye type of music but not come from Kanye or Dre and you gotta be Wale level of dark" :lol: Stop. Y'all basically talking about Wale and Wale only.

We know sistahs go through colorism much worse dark skin males. Magic brought up the Kardashians, them h0ez chase after nothing but darkskin males.

Colorism is strong in many fields. As a male in hip hop? No.

What dark skin men are in style?

Are you active on social media? All birds talk about is they are done with light skin ****** and on dark skin dudes. Been like this the past few years at least.

Also just cause J Cole feels that way doesn’t mean he’s right lol. We can disagree with both you and cole

Back
Top Bottom