Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Yeah darkskin is mad in right now, Wale just crying like always which is funny because that’s why a lot of people don’t like him. He’s always complaining or *****ing about not being bigger.

Yeah darkskin is mad in right now, Wale just crying like always which is funny because that’s why a lot of people don’t like him. He’s always complaining or *****ing about not being bigger.

Bruh is insecure. Which is fine I guess, but he's been doing this for years. At some point, just let that **** go.

Of course Wale would say something wild around the same time as Kanye. :lol: He's always been a poor mans Ye as far as controversy. Being darkskin doesn't hurt anybody in hip hop. Matter fact it might help cuz all these weirdo white kids want to live out their "black fantasies" through black music. This ain't the corporate world or any other regular jobs.

Last edited:
Wale had/has (idk anymore) a lane when he first came in, had a distinct DC sound...he’s one of those cases where his antics eclipsed his music

If we can agree that the list of 9 rappers below all make "similar" music, is it just coincidence that all the lightskin guys are the most popular and "successful"?

Not to mention the two brownskin dudes come from family trees that are hip hop royalty.(Dre and Jay-Z)

Not even the slightest bit of colorism though huh?

Lightskin:
Drake
Cole
Chance
Logic

Brownskin:
Kendrick Lamar
Big Sean

Darkskin:
Wale
Big Krit
Joey Badass

Not saying thats the only thing that happened in these folks careers, but it is an element imo. Wale, is pretty flawed tho... so he couldnt be the face at all :lol:

Wale had/has (idk anymore) a lane when he first came in, had a distinct DC sound...he’s one of those cases where his antics eclipsed his music

I mean people loved him when that Jerry Seinfeld **** was out.
If we can agree that the list of 9 rappers below all make "similar" music, is it just coincidence that all the lightskin guys are the most popular and "successful"?

Not to mention the two brownskin dudes come from family trees that are hip hop royalty.(Dre and Jay-Z)

Not even the slightest bit of colorism though huh?

Lightskin:
Drake
Cole
Chance
Logic

Brownskin:
Kendrick Lamar
Big Sean

Darkskin:
Wale
Big Krit
Joey Badass

Not saying thats the only thing that happened in these folks careers, but it is an element imo. Wale, is pretty flawed tho... so he couldnt be the face at all :lol:

That's an incomplete list I'm sure. At the end of the day, Kendrick reigns above all these ***** and he's dark skin.

^Give me more names. Just recent rappers... within the last 5-10 years. This current era...not over history.
I wanted to include and ASAP Rocky but I dont think he makes similar music and he cant "rap" lol

If you dark and you rapping bout gangsta this drug that, party party party... the label and media masses will eat you up. Are some of yall blind to that? Complexion does not matter when your subject matter is for mass consumption and/or detriment of black people. The popping darkskin guys...whats their content? Future, Migos, Travis Scott, 21... Lil whoever...same content, all poppin. It is what it is.

Show me where I'm wrong.

Also Kendrick is pose to be where he is based off the track record of Dre. NWA Snoop Em 50 Kendrick. He did what winners do.

^Give me more names. Just recent rappers... within the last 5-10 years. This current era...not over history.
I wanted to include and ASAP Rocky but I dont think he makes similar music and he cant "rap" lol

If you dark and you rapping bout gangsta this drug that, party party party... the label and media masses will eat you up. Are some of yall blind to that? Complexion does not matter when your subject matter is for mass consumption and/or detriment of black people. The popping darkskin guys...whats their content? Future, Migos, Travis Scott, 21... Lil whoever...same content, all poppin. It is what it is.

Show me where I'm wrong.

I mean you just adding extra criterias to go by now :lol: ... Stick to the original point. Party, gun and drug talk has been apart of hip hop forever. Can't just take it away

Wale problem is he can't get out his own way and his music has never been THAT good. Even his fan base get put off by his whining and if you're gonna play the "crazy, genius, complainer" role your albums better be great every time.

The popping darkskin guys...whats their content? Future, Migos, Travis Scott, 21... Lil whoever...same content, all poppin. It is what it is.

Most rappers period now rap about the same ****. It's only 2 rappers that are poppin that's different from the pack.

^^What did I add? I chose those rappers cuz their content is not that. And the only ones content that is not that that are super successful and popular are the lightskin ones.
Im not taking away anything.

You can be dark and successful in hip-hop by riding the traditional wave. But if you take the Kanye approach... good luck. If Im wrong...where the artists at?

I don't think your skin color can stop you from success as a rapper, but it helps for sure.

Super, Sean, Kendrick, Peak Lil Wayne, Kanye (Yikes), Tory Lanez, Bryson Tiller, etc. all of the aforementioned are not light skinned at all.

That's pretty lazy by Wale to say that and it excludes other potential factors like his music not being as good of a Drake, him being fat now, etc.

If wale was a light skin good hair ***** he probably would sell more with those simp anthems. Music catering to the ladies+being eye candy to the ladies=success. I ain’t never seen a *** make wale her mcm.

It is but to have wale success and be crying about colorism it’s just like bruh...nobody wants to hear it.

I agree with that. Wale prolly not the person you wanna hear that from :lol and his current situation is a combo of a lot of stuff (some of which was his own doing).

Take him out of the equation tho and there’s def a legit convo to be had, one that hasn’t really been touched on in depth imo

I don't think your skin color can stop you from success as a rapper, but it helps for sure.

Super, Sean, Kendrick, Peak Lil Wayne, Kanye (Yikes), Tory Lanez, Bryson Tiller, etc. all of the aforementioned are not light skinned at all.

That's pretty lazy by Wale to say that and it excludes other potential factors like his music not being as good of a Drake, him being fat now, etc.

If wale was a light skin good hair ***** he probably would sell more with those simp anthems. Music catering to the ladies+being eye candy to the ladies=success. I ain’t never seen a *** make wale her mcm.

Man what's wrong with ya'll? :lol

J Cole and Drake wouldn’t be as big if they were dark skin.

Wale’s problem is more about his personality and image than color, if he acted different and was light, then sure.

Your complexion can help or hurt but Wale got bigger issues with selling music than his complexion

J Cole and Drake wouldn’t be as big if they were dark skin.

Wale’s problem is more about his personality and image than color, if he acted different and was light, then sure.

Your complexion can help or hurt but Wale got bigger issues with selling music than his complexion

I'm not buying it. Nobody ******* with Cole cuz he light.

See this ain't about his skin tone this is about his looks, that's a whole different convo. Idris Elba has been plenty of **** MCM and he's dark

Back
Top Bottom