Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Kendrick is the only one at the top, but still there's a difference.

There will always only be a select few at the top. Lil Wayne, Biggie, 50 cent were rappers that were at one point the select few. Colorism is a real thing especially amongst black females, but I don't think it has to much affect on being a successful male rapper.

I know this is from last year, but Royce's ratings and descriptions are hilarious in relation to the rappers mentioned

Em sounded dope on the new Royce record. Ain't gon lie. (Chorus is trash)But Em raps (not talk or screams but raps) on rap beats, things make sense.

Last edited:
Do you really think krits skin tone impacted his success? ASAP Rocky, lil yachty, Kendrick Lamar, lil Uzi, Kodak black just to name a few are far away from being light.

Yea, i think it was a for sure factor for him. Def Jam would have done a better job marketing him imo, they would have had their own Drake or Cole. Instead they push Big Sean.

Furthermore take the examples you provided, and consider the style of music they make. Ill exclude Kendrick because he had too many things working in his favor for his complexion to be an issue.

but ASAP is from New York and is a pretty boy for the most part. So he already got the head start so i dont see him really being comparable. Maybe a Joey Badass??

Lil Uzi and Kodak Black dont make the type of music that they will ever need to rely on being appealing to a certain audience.

So yeah, if you are dark skin and not making trap music... i dont think its far fetched to think a hurdle is there in regards to complexion.

Em sounded dope on the new Royce record. Ain't gon lie. (Chorus is trash)But Em raps (not talk or screams but raps) on rap beats, things make sense.

The best Em has sounded in a very long time, and I notice that's the case every time he's with Royce.

Yea, i think it was a for sure factor for him. Def Jam would have done a better job marketing him imo, they would have had their own Drake or Cole. Instead they push Big Sean.

Furthermore take the examples you provided, and consider the style of music they make. Ill exclude Kendrick because he had too many things working in his favor for his complexion to be an issue.

but ASAP is from New York and is a pretty boy for the most part. So he already got the head start so i dont see him really being comparable. Maybe a Joey Badass??

Lil Uzi and Kodak Black dont make the type of music that they will ever need to rely on being appealing to a certain audience.

So yeah, if you are dark skin and not making trap music... i dont think its far fetched to think a hurdle is there in regards to complexion.

Or..... Krit just isn’t making the music the masses rock with? Colorism is an issue for sure but in Rap? I’d say hell no

Hell out of the current top 10 rappers popularity wise Cole and Drake are the only light ones lol

Like dude said it’s more to do with the way you brand yourself / the label brands you

Krits my guy but I don’t think he had that one single everyone could get behind. Unfortunately people are still sleep

I don’t care what shade he is.

You can't make excuses why all the other dark skin rappers are making then blame in it on krits skin tone. Biggie and 50 didn't make trap music, I don't know what people consider Rick Ross music but he's another one, and he's fat. Wayne was the biggest s thing in music for like 4 years straight and he's dark and a ******.

Now if we're talking about female rappers and female r&b singers then I would agree

Cole has said in the past himself he might not be as successful if he were dark skinned, he said Obama wouldn't have won if was dark skinned too :lol:

You can't make excuses why all the other dark skin rappers are making then blame in it on krits skin tone. Biggie and 50 didn't make trap music, I don't know what people consider Rick Ross music but he's another one, and he's fat. Wayne was the biggest s thing in music for like 4 years straight and he's dark and a ******.

Now if we're talking about female rappers and female r&b singers then I would agree

Krit IS making it tho. Its just levels. And I used him as an example based off the style of music he makes and where he would be if he was lightskinned. His music is directly in line with Cole Kendrick and sometimes Drake. Im not talking all of rap.

How is bringing up Biggie and even further 50 and Rick Ross relevant? Thats gangsta rap music.They are selling more than themselves. They are selling a lifestyle, that goes way further than their complexion. Lil Wayne same thing.

I dont think those are excuses. If you are southern and "successful"... more than likely you rapping about being a gangster and drugs and your complexion doesnt matter cuz history shows it works. Ludacris and Outkast are the only two acts that come to mind that are outside of that... that reached a certain level.

Now is he making the music the masses want to hear? Thats debatable. White kids mostly control that.

Cole has said in the past himself he might not be as successful if he were dark skinned, he said Obama wouldn't have won if was dark skinned too :lol:
There's definitely a legitimate argument to be made on career success being correlated with how much women find you attractive. Ask LL Cool J :lol And whether you're light our dark skin can play into that as well (Attractiveness).

But like you said earlier, I'm not about to have a convo on rappers' "looks" :lol

There's definitely a legitimate argument to be made on career success being correlated with how much women find you attractive. Ask LL Cool J :lol: And whether you're light our dark skin can play into that as well (Attractiveness).

But like you said earlier, I'm not about to have a convo on rappers' "looks" :lol:

B****** of all races love darkskin men though. :lol:

The only people that have disdain for darkskin males are white men.

Back
Top Bottom