Pro Video games a sport?

no i don't i wouldn't consider it a sport just like i wouldn't consider poker a sport. with that being said i would love for them to show game tournaments on espn or any major network because of the skill and dexterity it takes to play them. i mean hell if they can show poker on espn then i don't see why you couldn't put major video game tournaments on there as well. but i think its gonna be a while before it happens.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

laugh.gif
@ watching ppl play video games and I love to play video games.
You can't understand pro gaming until you've been to Korea. I'm pretty sure they have a TV channel dedicated to Starcraft only. These dudes tear %*@$ up
laugh.gif

But no, I don't think it's a sport. Is it worth showing on ESPN? Possibly...

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

laugh.gif
@ watching ppl play video games and I love to play video games.
You can't understand pro gaming until you've been to Korea. I'm pretty sure they have a TV channel dedicated to Starcraft only. These dudes tear %*@$ up
laugh.gif

But no, I don't think it's a sport. Is it worth showing on ESPN? Possibly...

6th grade everyday after school i'd go home and play tekken 3, had the catlord movelists memorized and everything. if they had tourneys of that or tag, i could tune in. i don't give a #%** about videogames post-2000

the ppl who would watch are guys who understand how to play the game and appreciate the skill and strategy involved. there is that audience in america, but i don't think it's enough for espn to bump, say, trout fishing coverage

6th grade everyday after school i'd go home and play tekken 3, had the catlord movelists memorized and everything. if they had tourneys of that or tag, i could tune in. i don't give a #%** about videogames post-2000

the ppl who would watch are guys who understand how to play the game and appreciate the skill and strategy involved. there is that audience in america, but i don't think it's enough for espn to bump, say, trout fishing coverage

FlashEightZero wrote:

the thing is right now that audience is blowing up....we have Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3 just came out, and in the near future theres gonna be Super Street Fighter 4 AE on consoles, Mortal Kombat 9, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs Tekken, and Tekken Tag tourney 2. The scene is only getting bigger and bigger 
smokin.gif

FlashEightZero wrote:

the thing is right now that audience is blowing up....we have Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3 just came out, and in the near future theres gonna be Super Street Fighter 4 AE on consoles, Mortal Kombat 9, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs Tekken, and Tekken Tag tourney 2. The scene is only getting bigger and bigger 
smokin.gif

Pure EPICNESS.

Felt that the American crowd could relate to this more than a StarCraft or Counter-Strike video.

Pure EPICNESS.

Felt that the American crowd could relate to this more than a StarCraft or Counter-Strike video.

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

Starcraft 2 is the only game I would consider a sport. Millions, not thousands watch live games. Korea has a dedicated channel to it. Countless leagues. Millions of dollars in sponsors. You can make around $200,000 a year from just winnings. And it's always getting tweaked and updated so balance isn't even a issue.
So the genre of the VIDEO GAME (still a video game) makes you consider whether or not it is a SPORT? Come on man. So what if you can make $ off of it, why does that make it a SPORT? That doesn't make any sense, sorry.

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

Starcraft 2 is the only game I would consider a sport. Millions, not thousands watch live games. Korea has a dedicated channel to it. Countless leagues. Millions of dollars in sponsors. You can make around $200,000 a year from just winnings. And it's always getting tweaked and updated so balance isn't even a issue.
So the genre of the VIDEO GAME (still a video game) makes you consider whether or not it is a SPORT? Come on man. So what if you can make $ off of it, why does that make it a SPORT? That doesn't make any sense, sorry.

Originally Posted by TENnAHALF

Pure EPICNESS.

Still doesn't make it a sport, unless maybe if they develop working VR controls and have the people actually fight it out. Then it'd just be another fighting competition.

Originally Posted by TENnAHALF

Pure EPICNESS.

Still doesn't make it a sport, unless maybe if they develop working VR controls and have the people actually fight it out. Then it'd just be another fighting competition.

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif

No, its not blowing up.

You might think its blowing up because youre involved in that community, but its really not blowing up at all.

I think local PBS programming would get higher ratings than video gaming would

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif

No, its not blowing up.

You might think its blowing up because youre involved in that community, but its really not blowing up at all.

Originally Posted by Durden7

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

It is blowing up. When I've got people in class talking to me about players like Daigo and Justin Wong, the popularity has surely risen.

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

It is blowing up. When I've got people in class talking to me about players like Daigo and Justin Wong, the popularity has surely risen.

I remember I wanted to be a pro gamer when I was younger.

laugh.gif

I used to watch vids like this.

I remember I wanted to be a pro gamer when I was younger.

laugh.gif

I used to watch vids like this.

Originally Posted by quiickz

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

Thats your class though.  That sample size isnt representive of the population.

Its about perspective.

4 people asking you (or anyone else) about X person doesn't mean it's blowing up.

Originally Posted by quiickz

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

Thats your class though.  That sample size isnt representive of the population.

Its about perspective.

4 people asking you (or anyone else) about X person doesn't mean it's blowing up.

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

the fact that im involved in the community is how i know its blowing up 
laugh.gif

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

the fact that im involved in the community is how i know its blowing up 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom