Pro Video games a sport?

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

Now let me start off by saying im a professional fighting game player, and right now were pushing to get the world championships put on ESPN but my question is do u considerate it a sport?
-its a 1 on 1 game of skill

-its something that u really have to fine tune your reflexes at

-Mind games are a huge part

- and if poker is a sport why isnt this? 
laugh.gif

so let me here ur input NT? why or why dont u feel Pro video gaming is a sport
/thread.

If yall can get MvC to replace Poker tornys, I'd vote for you on the 2028 presidential ballot over AJ(potus2028). Sorry bro
grin.gif

You are aware of course that in America, video games are the anti-sport though right.. I mean... look at him
grin.gif

400-1.png

Very athletic..

Now let me start off by saying im a professional fighting game player, and right now were pushing to get the world championships put on ESPN but my question is do u considerate it a sport?
-its a 1 on 1 game of skill

-its something that u really have to fine tune your reflexes at

-Mind games are a huge part

- and if poker is a sport why isnt this? 
laugh.gif

so let me here ur input NT? why or why dont u feel Pro video gaming is a sport
/thread.

If yall can get MvC to replace Poker tornys, I'd vote for you on the 2028 presidential ballot over AJ(potus2028). Sorry bro
grin.gif

You are aware of course that in America, video games are the anti-sport though right.. I mean... look at him
grin.gif

400-1.png

Very athletic..

But why is dude ^ calling Poker a sport. Poker is NOT a sport. Just because it is on ESPN doesn't make it a Sport. I don't understand the train of thought here.

But why is dude ^ calling Poker a sport. Poker is NOT a sport. Just because it is on ESPN doesn't make it a Sport. I don't understand the train of thought here.

Originally Posted by Durden7

FlashEightZero wrote:

the ppl who would watch are guys who understand how to play the game and appreciate the skill and strategy involved. there is that audience in america, but i don't think it's enough for espn to bump, say, trout fishing coverage

the thing is right now that audience is blowing up....we have Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3 just came out, and in the near future theres gonna be Super Street Fighter 4 AE on consoles, Mortal Kombat 9, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs Tekken, and Tekken Tag tourney 2. The scene is only getting bigger and bigger 
smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

You might think its blowing up because youre involved in that community, but its really not blowing up at all.

I think local PBS programming would get higher ratings than video gaming would
the fact that im involved in the community is how i know its blowing up 
laugh.gif

Actually it's the opposite.  You have no perspective.

FlashEightZero wrote:

the ppl who would watch are guys who understand how to play the game and appreciate the skill and strategy involved. there is that audience in america, but i don't think it's enough for espn to bump, say, trout fishing coverage

the thing is right now that audience is blowing up....we have Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3 just came out, and in the near future theres gonna be Super Street Fighter 4 AE on consoles, Mortal Kombat 9, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs Tekken, and Tekken Tag tourney 2. The scene is only getting bigger and bigger 
smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

You might think its blowing up because youre involved in that community, but its really not blowing up at all.

laugh.gif

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

laugh.gif

Seems like you're attacking this guy just because you disagree with him. How would you
know whether or not the "scene" is blowing up, saying he has no perspective is pretty judgmental,
you're basically coming off as just being mad that he is just suggesting that the fighting game scene
is blowing up. Obviously if they are coming out with more fighting games money is being filtered
into that scene which means companies believe they can make a profit off of it, and I would trust
the guy that gets a first hand look at tournament entries, viewers, etc.

For the record I don't believe it's a sport, but with the right coverage it could be highly entertaining
and would be better than a lot of programming on ESPN

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

laugh.gif

Seems like you're attacking this guy just because you disagree with him. How would you
know whether or not the "scene" is blowing up, saying he has no perspective is pretty judgmental,
you're basically coming off as just being mad that he is just suggesting that the fighting game scene
is blowing up. Obviously if they are coming out with more fighting games money is being filtered
into that scene which means companies believe they can make a profit off of it, and I would trust

For the record I don't believe it's a sport, but with the right coverage it could be highly entertaining

Originally Posted by hpscots0906

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

laugh.gif

thank you hpscotss that what ive been trying to say, im in the video game community so of course i can tell that the scene is getting way bigger then it was say...5 years ago....i have first hand knowledge, your on the outside trying to say that you know whats going on on the inside
and still not saying i think its a sport, but.....to all you that think theres know physicality so its not a sport  especially the one who posted the fat guy up there as a point. what do u count reflexes as? cause i honestly would bet that the top video game players have better reflexes then your favorite athlete

FlashEightZero wrote:

smokin.gif
No, its not blowing up.

laugh.gif

thank you hpscotss that what ive been trying to say, im in the video game community so of course i can tell that the scene is getting way bigger then it was say...5 years ago....i have first hand knowledge, your on the outside trying to say that you know whats going on on the inside
and still not saying i think its a sport, but.....to all you that think theres know physicality so its not a sport  especially the one who posted the fat guy up there as a point. what do u count reflexes as? cause i honestly would bet that the top video game players have better reflexes then your favorite athlete

Some of you are funny.
Gaming to me is a sport. Not physical, but all mental. You compete against one another.

I played Halo (all series) competitively. I played at a couple local tournaments, Home LANs (money on the line), Gamebattles, and participated at one MLG (Major League Gaming). My prime was during the Halo 2 reign. At one point, and for quite a long time, i was ranked #2 in the world for Team Snipers. I'm not trying to boast lol esp. on this forum because most of you think of gaming as a joke, or "not a sport". But anyways, I always called myself semi-pro, only because I never achieve Pro Point within MLG Circuits. Not even, call me Amateur-Pro. Whatever, gaming to me is a sport and it can get very competitive.

But to answer the question, gaming is a sport. ESPECIALLY Pro Gaming.

And OP, before you get whatever "fighting" game you play on ESPN, get it on the Major League Gaming first. MLG is the new epicentre of Pro Gaming, before WCL or WCG.

MLG only has one fighting game and that is Super Smash Bros. itll be cool to have some other fighting games

Some of you are funny.
Gaming to me is a sport. Not physical, but all mental. You compete against one another.

I played Halo (all series) competitively. I played at a couple local tournaments, Home LANs (money on the line), Gamebattles, and participated at one MLG (Major League Gaming). My prime was during the Halo 2 reign. At one point, and for quite a long time, i was ranked #2 in the world for Team Snipers. I'm not trying to boast lol esp. on this forum because most of you think of gaming as a joke, or "not a sport". But anyways, I always called myself semi-pro, only because I never achieve Pro Point within MLG Circuits. Not even, call me Amateur-Pro. Whatever, gaming to me is a sport and it can get very competitive.

But to answer the question, gaming is a sport. ESPECIALLY Pro Gaming.

And OP, before you get whatever "fighting" game you play on ESPN, get it on the Major League Gaming first. MLG is the new epicentre of Pro Gaming, before WCL or WCG.

MLG only has one fighting game and that is Super Smash Bros. itll be cool to have some other fighting games

First of all, i'm not attacking anyone.  At no point did I make a negative remark about him personally.

Again, if youre in the group you have no perspective of  how popular it truly is.  Only the ones on the outside looking in are truly able to see how big or popular something is.  How is that being judgmental?  Im not judging his character or lifestyle habits.  It's an observation.

It hasnt blown up to the point where it should be put on ESPN.  There isnt a single program on ESPN that should replaced by video games.

Also, why would a fighting game be shown on ESPN?  It doesnt even make sense to put that on tv.

and still not saying i think its a sport, but.....to all you that think theres know physicality so its not a sport  especially the one who posted the fat guy up there as a point. what do u count reflexes as?
Reflexes dont count as physicality.
i can tell that the scene is getting way bigger then it was say...5 years ago
I dont doubt that.  Just because its getting bigger doesnt mean its blowing up to a national tv programming level though.

First of all, i'm not attacking anyone.  At no point did I make a negative remark about him personally.

Again, if youre in the group you have no perspective of  how popular it truly is.  Only the ones on the outside looking in are truly able to see how big or popular something is.  How is that being judgmental?  Im not judging his character or lifestyle habits.  It's an observation.

It hasnt blown up to the point where it should be put on ESPN.  There isnt a single program on ESPN that should replaced by video games.

Also, why would a fighting game be shown on ESPN?  It doesnt even make sense to put that on tv.

and still not saying i think its a sport, but.....to all you that think theres know physicality so its not a sport  especially the one who posted the fat guy up there as a point. what do u count reflexes as?
Reflexes dont count as physicality.
i can tell that the scene is getting way bigger then it was say...5 years ago
I dont doubt that.  Just because its getting bigger doesnt mean its blowing up to a national tv programming level though.

Back
Top Bottom