Pro Video games a sport?

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

Originally Posted by dland24

No offense, but watching two people play video games seems ridiculous to me.

non taken, and thousands of people watch tournaments pretty much every weekend via live stream...Winter Brawl 5 last weekend got up to 10,000 viewers 
In this day and age is that really a lot of views though?
I consider it a lot for a live stream online

non taken, and thousands of people watch tournaments pretty much every weekend via live stream...Winter Brawl 5 last weekend got up to 10,000 viewers 

Watching other people play video games does NOT translate well to TV  
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

blame NASCAR for having poker and the madden challenge on BSPN

shots fired.

Exactly if ppl are wowed and wooed over 3+ hrs of ppl driving in a circle i dont see how watchin video games is boring or repetitive but then again

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

blame NASCAR for having poker and the madden challenge on BSPN

shots fired.

Exactly if ppl are wowed and wooed over 3+ hrs of ppl driving in a circle i dont see how watchin video games is boring or repetitive but then again

theres commentators and everything, trust me its alot more exciting then some of you think

theres commentators and everything, trust me its alot more exciting then some of you think

I don't. Not compared to real sports and other live streamed events.

I don't. Not compared to real sports and other live streamed events.

Yes, this is in Korea (so I'm not implying Americans can or will feel the same way), but just as an illustrative example, it certainly CAN garner a lot of spectators:
koreanfinals.jpg

It's a Starcraft tournament, in case you don't know...

http://enthusiastgaming.com/?p=3274

(And no, I'm not arguing it's a sport -- because I don't think it is -- but just saying that there are apparently a lot of people in this world that like watching it.)

Yes, this is in Korea (so I'm not implying Americans can or will feel the same way), but just as an illustrative example, it certainly CAN garner a lot of spectators:
koreanfinals.jpg

It's a Starcraft tournament, in case you don't know...

http://enthusiastgaming.com/?p=3274

(And no, I'm not arguing it's a sport -- because I don't think it is -- but just saying that there are apparently a lot of people in this world that like watching it.)

The only thing worse than watching people play video games on tv is hearing people on tv talk about other people playing video games

The only thing worse than watching people play video games on tv is hearing people on tv talk about other people playing video games

Originally Posted by Durden7

^^^^^

^^^^^

Originally Posted by RobbyJones

^^^^^
2qdwtaw.jpg

we disagree 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RobbyJones

^^^^^
2qdwtaw.jpg

we disagree 
pimp.gif

Starcraft 2 is the only game I would consider a sport. Millions, not thousands watch live games. Korea has a dedicated channel to it. Countless leagues. Millions of dollars in sponsors. You can make around $200,000 a year from just winnings. And it's always getting tweaked and updated so balance isn't even a issue.

Starcraft 2 is the only game I would consider a sport. Millions, not thousands watch live games. Korea has a dedicated channel to it. Countless leagues. Millions of dollars in sponsors. You can make around $200,000 a year from just winnings. And it's always getting tweaked and updated so balance isn't even a issue.

no i don't i wouldn't consider it a sport just like i wouldn't consider poker a sport. with that being said i would love for them to show game tournaments on espn or any major network because of the skill and dexterity it takes to play them. i mean hell if they can show poker on espn then i don't see why you couldn't put major video game tournaments on there as well. but i think its gonna be a while before it happens.

Back
Top Bottom