\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

2019 Dodge Charger: Hellcat Returns With Handsome New Get-Up
The sedan's base models get a boost in power while the SRT Hellcat gets Demon-derived hand-me-downs.
BY TALON HOMERJUNE 28, 2018

FCA US LLC & © 2018 FCA US LLC
Year, Make, Model: Fiat-Chrysler has just publicly announced the changes that will be coming to its 2019 Dodge Charger lineup in the third quarter of 2018.

What's New: Going forward, Dodge will offer six trim packages for the Charger. On the more affordable end, there are the V-6 powered GT and SXT all-wheel-drive models. The Pentastar engine in both of these trims will see an eight-horsepower increase to an even 300, while the base rear-drive SXT remains at 292 horsepower. R/T models get a new air-channeling hood and several handling upgrades.

FCA
The real story lies within the Hellcat's visual and performance upgrades.

message-editor%2F1530206368475-dodgechargerhellcat.jpg

message-editor%2F1530206375888-dodgechargerhellcat2.jpg

The more lively Scat Pack and Hellcat Chargers will get more significant upgrades including a line-lock system, revised launch control, and dual cold air ducts in their grills. The Hellcat will receive an After-Run Chiller that continues to cool the Hemi's supercharger after the engine has been shut off, and it will also have a "torque reserve" mode that pre-loads the supercharger for quicker acceleration off the line.

Power figures for the Scat Pack (485 horsepower, 475 pound-feet of torque) and Hellcat (707 hp, 650 pound-feet) variants remain unchanged from the outgoing model year.

New interior options will also be offered across the lineup, including a cold weather package with heated cloth seats.

Quotable: In Dodge's press release, FCA Representative Steve Beahm said, "Despite a shift toward utility vehicles in the United States over the past decade, the Dodge Charger and Challenger continue to buck the trend. Charger and Challenger retail sales have increased 70 percent since 2008, and since the launch of Scat Pack in August 2014, high-performance model sales increased from four percent to more than 25 percent. Charger is on track to lead the large car segment in the United States for the fifth straight year in 2018, and we intend to keep that string alive by updating the product to deliver the performance and capability that our customers demand.”

What You Need to Know: While Fiat Chrysler hasn't reinvented the now 12-year-old sedan, it's added a suite of small upgrades that should benefit the performance-minded customer. Dodge will be taking orders for its new Charger at the end of June, and they will be shipped out to dealers in Q3 2018. Base MSRP starts at around $29,000 while Hellcat pricing is expected to go up slightly from its current $67,995 entry point.

2019 Dodge Challenger lineup gets more performance, even sillier names
The Demon may have been exorcised but the Hellcat Redeye is here to try and fill its shoes with less power but more production.

JUNE 28, 2018 8:30 AM PDT

dg019-001mmj26aj9s7llfqcpm1dptkder40.jpg

Dodge

Fans of big, stupid power and supercharger whine rejoice! Not only is Dodge bringing the Challenger Hellcat back for 2019, it's making it even more Satanic. Oh, and the rest of the Challenger lineup is getting some tasty upgrades too, but Hellcat! Wooo!

Anyway, as we said, Dodge is taking the Hellcat, which made enough power and torque to pretty much pull a building off its foundation, and applying some of what it learned from the even more powerful Dodge Demon to give us the Challenger Hellcat Redeye! This new flavor of Hellcat will put out 797 hp and 707 pound-feet of torque, and that's crazy. The Redeye will be mated exclusively to the TorqueFlite 8HP90 eight-speed automatic transmission.

dg019-003mmn4jmjuqd47osfi767cjee466mn.jpg

That's a lot of performance in the top half of the Challenger model range, but Dodge didn't want to leave those of us who weren't ballin' out in the cold. The Challenger GT and R/T rear-wheel drive models get a standard "Super Track Pak" suspension and paddle shifters for auto cars. If that's not enough, there is a Performance Handling Group for the GT which adds four-piston Brembo brakes, wider 20 x 9-inch wheels and a larger rear sway bar. The R/T Performance Handling Group gets upgraded springs, sway bars, Bilstein shocks, bushings and mounts while the Performance Plus Package 20 x 9.5-inch forged wheels with 275/40ZR20 Pirelli P-Zero tires, and a limited-slip differential.

Unfortunately, none of the performance options mention the cars losing like 600 lbs, so we predict that they will continue to be epic on the drag strip, good on the street and a little ponderous on a racetrack but we'll have to wait until we drive them all to find out for sure.

Last edited:
Agreed with you, Mark VIII design has held up really well and again kudos to you for keeping and maintaining both cars so well. Mark VIIIs in Ontario, Canada have gone the way of the dodo but Town Cars are still floating around in taxi/limo livery. Like the Cobra badges too. :pimp:
Thanks man def helps running a detail shop keeping them in tip top shape. And whenever a light comes on or a issue comes up I service them right away at the Lincoln dealer.

By the time my GTI is paid off in five years, i should be earning a pretty good wage given the career field I’m stepping into. I caught myself looking at CTS-V’s and Hellcat Chargers as 4 door options when i finally decide to get rid of my VW. CTS-V’s I’ve always had a soft spot for but those Hellcat Chargers are growing on me.

Back
Top Bottom