Penny Hardaway is/was Overrated.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Originally Posted by 22 Deuces 22

You sound stupid. How can you compare this NBA era to the era when Penny was killin'?

YOU CAN'T.

Your right the players are better now.
They can't even win a gold medal in the world championships/olympics..
indifferent.gif

But maybe the inflated scoring stats due to horrible rules on defense make you think that the players are better today.

Using the olympics as an argument as to why the NBA's talent level has dropped makes ZERO sense, you're totally disregarding the huge number ofinternational players in the league, 2 of which who've won the MVP the past 3 years. I'm actually a little sick of hearing people contantly comparingrecent US olympic teams to the 92' dream team. It is barely even a relevant comparison at this point considering how advanced the rest of the world hasbecome since '92.

Originally Posted by Exile On Ivy St

Using the olympics as an argument as to why the NBA's talent level has dropped makes ZERO sense, you're totally disregarding the huge number of international players in the league, 2 of which who've won the MVP the past 3 years.
And neither of the countries the two play on have ever taken the gold away from the USA. Their most recent loss came to friggin Greece who hadno NBA players on their team whatsoever so YOUR argument makes ZERO sense.

Also, the first Dream Team actually beat a team who would have more NBA success than any current international team - Croatia in 92, with Drazen Petrovic whois by many seen as the best guard, if not player ever to come from overseas, Dino Radja who was inches away from averaging 20 points and 10 rebounds in the mid90s with the Celtics and Toni Kukoc who was a great role player for the championship Bulls and won sixth man of the year with them.

penny would of been one of the best PGs ever if he would not of got hurt in the beginning of his prime....and this coming from a person who had to hear someoneobsess over penny for YEARS....I always ragged on penny because of my friend who rode him, but in all reality he was starting to become a Great player...

Defender? Or overall? Don't think you can really question dudes defense...
Overall (which I guess would subsequently include his defense...) not saying he wasn't a very good defender and a pretty good player, butwhen dudes start throwing around "most complete player ever" it validates my point that he's overrated by many, IMO.

Penny was a beast prior to injuries setting in. I remember watching him against the bulls and Pippen switching on him, then Jordan switching on him andthinking....damn, they can't do anything with this dude. Neither one of them could stop him. So...was he overrated. Hell yeah. Didn't do it for along enough time. But while he was 100%, he was legit. Oh, and no one could have lived up to those commercials. Penny, stop the car, that was Tyra Banksfool!!!

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

It's pointless to try to convince a guy who has a Knicks signature of Pip's greatness..

And its pointless to take people who make silly generalizations like this to try and sound smart.
indifferent.gif
Pippen is NOT overrated by any means.
Your right the players are better now.
Oh my God, please stop watching basketball NOW.
sick.gif

wow at the guy saying players are better now. what did you begin watching the NBA 3 years ago? I'll stay in the 90s. Ewing, Robinson, Olajuwon would easilybe top centers in today's NBA now that Shaq is older, Malone, Barkley, & Rodman (defensively and on the boards) would be top PF's today with Duncan& KG close behind, Pippen would be the best SF today with LBJ behind, Jordan would be the best SG today with nobody relatively close besides Kobe, &Stockton would be the best PG today followed by Kidd, Payton, and Nash

Originally Posted by na penny 89

that magic team with shaq would win the chip easy if it was today.

I don't know if they could beat the Spurs. That would be a nice matchup.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by Exile On Ivy St

Using the olympics as an argument as to why the NBA's talent level has dropped makes ZERO sense, you're totally disregarding the huge number of international players in the league, 2 of which who've won the MVP the past 3 years.
And neither of the countries the two play on have ever taken the gold away from the USA. Their most recent loss came to friggin Greece who had no NBA players on their team whatsoever so YOUR argument makes ZERO sense.

Also, the first Dream Team actually beat a team who would have more NBA success than any current international team - Croatia in 92, with Drazen Petrovic who is by many seen as the best guard, if not player ever to come from overseas, Dino Radja who was inches away from averaging 20 points and 10 rebounds in the mid 90s with the Celtics and Toni Kukoc who was a great role player for the championship Bulls and won sixth man of the year with them.

You really CAN'T BE SERIOUS. The European leagues of today are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than they were in 92-96. The rest of the world is just thatmuch better. Believe that...

i dont get the OP's point, penny deserved first team both years...you say you watched him play, but all you brought were numbers...

Originally Posted by nitzski

Defender? Or overall? Don't think you can really question dudes defense...
Overall (which I guess would subsequently include his defense...) not saying he wasn't a very good defender and a pretty good player, but when dudes start throwing around "most complete player ever" it validates my point that he's overrated by many, IMO.

No it doesnt have to "subsequently include" defense. Other than the mental*+%#, what was Pips weakness? Just focusing on the defense though,Pippen is one of the greatest. We have Bruce Bowen getting Defensive player of the year considerations as a perimeter defender and he isn't even close towhat Pippen was. Pippen had skill, athleticism and length on defense all of which Bowen lacks. He was the QB of the bulls defense and could steal the ball, getblocks, hustle plays, move/position teammates etc. For someone to be able to do what he did on BOTH sides of the ball
smh.gif
, thats why he's one of the greats OVERALL. Thats my opinion though...

he not only has "no clue", but has disgraced himself and the game of basketball by even hinting that Scottie Pippen was even remotely close to being the greatest all around player of all time. Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan are rolling over in their graves and most of them aren't even dead yet...
eek.gif

With all due respect to Magic, he was NOWHERE near Pip's class in terms of D. Big O was before my time, but from what I understand he wasn't alock-down defender either. Pippen easily had a similar offensive skill set as those two guys. So compared to them, I'd have to give Pippen theedge for best ALL-AROUND player.

Russell & Stilt were both centers who had a different type of defensive game. So it's a bit unjust to compare Pip to those two. Even still, they werestrictly post defenders. You'd never catch them trying to guard a POINT GUARD on the perimiter.

Jordan wasn't as good a defender as Pip. He was damn good, but Pip was a more natural defender. Jordan was light years ahead of him offensively thoughwhich is why he'll always get that "best overall" title over Pippen.

And TD... solid all-around. But come on, he's not the first player that most people would say if you asked them "who's the best all-around playerof the past 20 years?". Cuz if anyone DID say Timmy, I'd say get off his sack and go watch the Dream. And then the Admiral.

For someone to be able to do what he did on BOTH sides of the ball
smh.gif
, thats why he's one of the greats OVERALL. Thats my opinion though...

My opinion too.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

which is something Dwayne Wade (spelling corrected)
isnt it even a little embarrasing to be so smug and sure of yourself when you're wrong?

laugh.gif
when people think they're dropping knowledge.

it's DwYane. his parents are stupid for spelling it like that but it doesnt make you any less wrong.

I know the legal spelling of his name is Dwyane, that's why I put "spelling corrected" when I spelled it as Dwayne. The point is just becausehis parents spelled his name wrong on his birth certificate doesn't mean the rest of the world has to.

Overall, I think Penny is overrated. Honestly, he had a few AMAZING years. Dude would seem unstoppable. But because of injuries, he didnt do much else. He is avery close comparison to Grant Hill. He was going to be the next "great", and injuries took its toll.

Penny was a great player, but only for those few years he was healthy.

roll.gif
@ penny being one of the greatest point guards of all time if hehadnt got injured.

[ghostbusters2judge]are you serious?[ghostbusters2judge]

IMO:

Pippen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Penny

Wade>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Penny

Not even close....

as far as shuges stats on the all nba teams in 95 and 96:

in 96, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond, John Stockton ALL better than Penny.

in 95, Gary Payton, Richmond, and Drexler ALL better than Penny...

i am telling you, dudes go hard for penny because of his shoes.....

guys, thats big penny out there, NOT lil penny
Scottie Pippen is not overrated. His shot was terrible but the rest of his game made up for it. No Scottie, No 6 titles for Chicago...

and can someone please tell me this? in naming the 50 greatest players, did they include penny and grant hill in that list? it slips my memory right now... ifthey did,
eek.gif
@ the nba

Originally Posted by NobleKane

wow...i agree with the two guys who said penny is overrated.

alot of you guys i have to
smh.gif
@ i bet most of you werent even old enough to see him play and are just on the hype train because its "cool" to collect his shoes...

penny was overrated. he was good but not great... he should give half of his money to shaq and the other half to chris rock and nike...
I saw him play in his prime MANY times & he was NOT overrated.

No one talks about Penny like he was a hall of famer... but could have been. Penny before his injuries gave Jordan and Pippen fits and played pretty gooddefense on them too.

Overrated? I don't think so. there was nothing on the court Penny couldn't do.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Wade>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Penny

Simply untrue.

Anyway, the reason people think Penny is overrated is probably because the current generation only knows him by stats. But much like Scottie Pippen,Penny's impact went beyond stats.. Points were harder to score then. If you see the career high scoring averages of Pippen (22.0), Penny (21.7) and Hill(21.4), with the exception of Hill's 25.8 ppg season after they introduced a bunch of offensive rules, you would say that they're not that impressive.But you are a complete moron if you think that a guy like Kevin Martin is a better scorer than 1994 Pippen, 1995 Penny or 1996 Hill.
Was Penny overhyped? Probably. Let's be honest, his shoes didn't exactly ruin his rep. But at the same time, I gotta say that some of theanti-Penny posts, like the one from NobleKane are hella O.D. I think that the title of the most overrated 90s Nike player goes not to Penny, but Gary Payton.

and can someone please tell me this? in naming the 50 greatest players, did they include penny and grant hill in that list? it slips my memory right now... if they did,
eek.gif
@ the nba

^^ To answer your question no Penny, nor Grant Hill were included on the top 50. Sadly, the highly overrated Scottie Pippen was...

Nah, I guess he probably deserved to be on that list. Those of you who support him are certainly entitled to your opinions. Doesn't make it gospel as manyof you would like to believe though.

Pippen played with MJ so there's alot of blind love, for those teams and the key players on those teams just b/c of the MJ association(then of course youhave the guys who think Pip made MJ)LMAO...anyway, Pip was a good player nothing more. You have to look no further than his years in Houston and Portland torealize he wasn't the player you guys would like to remember him as.

The "Greatest all-around player of all-time" should have been able to at least get to the NBA finals playing along side Charles Barkley and HakeemOlajuwon. Even on the down side of their careers...(I already hear the injury excuses coming)

He was part of an extremely talented Portland team and couldn't get it done, didn't take Bulls anywhere after MJ retired. Pouted about not getting thelast shot in a playoff game, watched as his team collapsed against a young Kobe and Shaq...

Put some of the players I mentioned ahead of him on the same teams, they at least make the finals and they probably win it all.

Pippen had one outstanding year and that was the year after MJ retired the 1st time, he probably should have won MVP. Can't deny him that one season butwhen you look at the breadth of his career, though very good, as much as Penny may have been a product of the Nike hype machine, Pippen is a product of the MJhype machine.

Doesn't mean both players weren't outstanding at various points in their career, but we're talking overrated not whether they were good/great ornot.

I'm done hijacking the thread just had to get that off my chest...

nitzski wrote:

Pippen played with MJ so there's alot of blind love, for those teams and the key players on those teams just b/c of the MJ association(then of course you have the guys who think Pip made MJ)LMAO...
The fact that he played with MJ certainly didn't have a positive effect on Pip's rep, individually. There are many MJ fans who want to thinkthat MJ won all 6 chips by himself who want to put a negative spin on everything Pippen did. Pippen's 93-94 season has been a thorn in their side for along time.

Back
Top Bottom