Penny Hardaway is/was Overrated.

I've always thought this, and im old enough that ive seen him play in his prime.

Two time first teamer correct?

In all seriousness do any of you think that

20 pts 4 reb 7 ast
21 pts 4 rebs 7 ast

are first team stats? even on a good team?

Dwyane Wade has put up comparible but superior stats on a good heat team the past 3 seasons and still has not made first team.

Sam Cassell put up 19, 7 and 3 , in 03/04 again 2nd team

TMac had 26, 7 and 4, in 00/01, 2nd team
________28, 6 and 5, in 03/04, 2nd team
________24, 5 and 6, in 06/07, 2nd team

paul pierce had 26, 7, and 4 in 02/03, 3rd team.

VC had 25, 6, and 4 in 06/07 and no all nba selection.

AI had 33, 3 and 7 in 05/06, 3rd team.

i honestly think that penny got an extra boost by being on the 'trendy' team and duo with shaq. the fact that there was a some flash in his game alsohelped as i would say at least 90% of peoplwe who watch basketball confuse flash for substance (all star voting is a obvious indicator of that) he was quitepopular and i think that was a big part of how people seem to remember him as being great.

far different time..

Nike certainly helped Penny reach a new level of popularity but he was a very good player.

what 'sounds stupid' is everytime someone on nt doesnt approve of/agree with a player in some way they are labeled a hater.

forget that *!%% .

the fact of the matter is i dont think those stats are good enough for first team all nba in any era. no matter who put them up.

back in those days people used to play defense...or was allowed to anyways but then again you must've never seen penny play back then so I understand

Penny played in a great era and was efficent, he didn't play in a so-so era like the current one. He could have put up 30-7-4 if he wanted to whileshooting 45 % from the field. Penny was shooting 51.2 from the field. T-mac usually shoots 43 percent. T-mac has never been out the first round, Penny went tothe finals. Penny was a solid defender 3 years in the league.

yes, he is overrated.

the way people talk about him, you'd think he was incredible.

good, not great. fan favorite and lots of hype.

Originally Posted by 22 Deuces 22

You sound stupid. How can you compare this NBA era to the era when Penny was killin'?

YOU CAN'T.

Your right the players are better now.

wow...i agree with the two guys who said penny is overrated.

alot of you guys i have to
smh.gif
@ i bet most of you werenteven old enough to see him play and are just on the hype train because its "cool" to collect his shoes...

penny was overrated. he was good but not great... he should give half of his money to shaq and the other half to chris rock and nike...

LMAO... I knew this post was coming. 1st I'd like to say that you can't take stats from that era and compare them to today and say he shouldn'thave made 1st team. There have been some rule changes, etc. that's made it easier for guys to put up better numbers today.

Now with that being said I do agree with the thread starter that Penny was/is overrated. He was good, but dudes do get waaay carried away about him. And yes,if not for the injuries his numbers would most likely be better, but he was still more a product of Nike marketing, Shaq and a few flashy plays...

His stats weren't mind boggling but his game was infinitely more fun to watch than the players mentioned. Nike definitely helped his image, but rightbefore he got injured he was playing at an extremely high level without Shaq.

just like ben wallace wasn't an all star in detroit right? if there's one thing i learned from watching basketball for more than two decades, it'sthat watching players usually dispels any peculiar/inadequate numbers they may have

I think people blow him up to be greater than he was because of his great shoes and original commercials. That kind of attention endorsed by a power like Nikecan make someone seem bigger than they really are.

The reality is that he was a good player with lots of potential with 2 above average seasons under his belt...but injuries ruined him. Although a productiveplayer and a good scorer despite having faulty knees, people shouldn't gas him up like they do.

umm you nobody said he was great bro. yea he was good but you are coming out like everyone thought he was one of the best players in the L.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Dwyane Wade has put up comparible but superior stats on a good heat team the past 3 seasons and still has not made first team.

Sam Cassell put up 19, 7 and 3 , in 03/04 again 2nd team

TMac had 26, 7 and 4, in 00/01, 2nd team
________28, 6 and 5, in 03/04, 2nd team
________24, 5 and 6, in 06/07, 2nd team

paul pierce had 26, 7, and 4 in 02/03, 3rd team.

VC had 25, 6, and 4 in 06/07 and no all nba selection.

AI had 33, 3 and 7 in 05/06, 3rd team.

How many of those guys shot over 51% from the field?

Zero... none of them even came even remotely close.

And what makes Penny's FG% numbers even more impressive is that he took (and made) a lot of threes... which is something Dwayne Wade (spellingcorrected) fails miserably at.

Giving Pippen in his prime fits was overrated? He was a bonafide all-star that solidified his rep in the playoffs, ya'll actin like he played on loosingteams his entire career. I mean, he was what he was.

Defender? Or overall? Don't think you can really question dudes defense...

Back
Top Bottom