OJ Mayo: Better Career as a Point Guard or Shooting Guard?

This has been the biggest question since he's hit the NBA even more than whether or not he will be a star in this league. Today in the Memphisnewspaper, Coach Hollins stated,
"You always like a point guard with size. The more size you have the versatility you have," Hollins said, emphatically adding that the Griz need Jaric to perform because playing rookie guard O. J. Mayo at point guard is not an option.

"O. J. is an off guard. He can push the ball in transition, but he is not a point guard," Hollins said. "I don't want to start that by any stretch. We have two point guards on the team, Mike Conley and Marko Jaric."

Now, during the draft OJ Mayo said that he is a PG and wants to play PG. Even the GM Chris Wallace said that he wants OJ to play the point more after theytraded away Crittenton. I know Mayo has played the point for 90% of his career, but its really hard to justify his true position. The situation the Grizzliesare in is that they have a PG in Conley who is too small and is a defensive liability. Jaric is just garbage. Mayo has a better combination of size, defense,shooting, handles, and is able to create off the dribble. Now, I know he isn't perfect at any one of those areas (clearly, shooting is his best area), buttaken together, he has enough tools to play PG. I'm thinking that next season, he just might be moved to the starting PG spot and Memphis would get a twoguard around 6'6 or 6'7 to play beside him in the backcourt.

I could also see Mayo staying at the SG spot, but using OJ as a Rip Hamilton clone (running him off picks and shooting midrange jumpers) is a waste of histalent which is what he's doing in Memphis right now.

OJ Mayo is like a glorified JR Smith. I don't think he holds much value for NBA teams. He scores in chunks and doesn't distribute, so with that I'dsay SG, but he seems to be a player that can fill the stat sheet, but doesn't help the team win much. That's what I think.

OJ Mayo is like a glorified JR Smith. I don't think he holds much value for NBA teams. He scores in chunks and doesn't distribute, but he seems to be a player that can fill the stat sheet, but doesn't help the team win much. That's what I think.
If you replaced "O.J. Mayo" with "Rudy Gay," you'd be right (outside of the J.R. comparison).

I won't even comment on the O.J./J.R. comparison.
smh.gif

O.J. is a playmaker. If Hollins put the ball in his hands for a majority of the game, he'd be great.
but using OJ as a Rip Hamilton clone (running him off picks and shooting midrange jumpers) is a waste of his talent which is what he's doing in Memphis right now.
I completely agree.

OJ Mayo is gonna be one of the greatest stars in the next few years. I can't believe alot of teams passed on him in the draft......MIAMI

Originally Posted by GhostWriter

OJ Mayo is gonna be one of the greatest stars in the next few years. I can't believe alot of teams passed on him in the draft......MIAMI
wasn't he the 3rd pick of the draft???

i haven't really seen the grizz play this year, but he's shooting the ball at a pretty decent percentage for a rookie guard. why would you want to movehim on the ball?

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

OJ Mayo is like a glorified JR Smith. I don't think he holds much value for NBA teams. He scores in chunks and doesn't distribute, so with that I'd say SG, but he seems to be a player that can fill the stat sheet, but doesn't help the team win much. That's what I think.

He's doing all he can as a rook...its' wack %$# Rudy GAY who is bringing the team down.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

OJ Mayo is like a glorified JR Smith.
Not even a little bit.
the hate on Ovinton J'Anthony is strong on this board
*fixed*

And, Que?
Right. That makes a lot of sense.

You don't pass on Beas for OJ when you have Wade on your team.
Minnesota made a huge mistake when they traded him to Memphis.
I thought that Originally, but now, not so much.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Originally Posted by GhostWriter

wasn't he the 3rd pick of the draft???

i haven't really seen the grizz play this year, but he's shooting the ball at a pretty decent percentage for a rookie guard. why would you want to move him on the ball?

But I can't believe Miami took Mike Beasley over him. Minnesota made a huge mistake when they traded him to Memphis.

He can make plays but he is not a facilitator on offense like THAT.....he is better suited at the 2.

O.J. isn't a PG, his position is the 2.

O.J. needs the ball in his hands to make plays, but not plays a PG would make with distributing the ball. O.J. needs it to score, not distribute. Not a catch& shoot like the rip comparison, more of the ball in his hands to make plays to get points. He can hit the jumper, & take it to the basket as well.

I think his scoring talent would be put to waste a little if he played PG, he's a scoring SG, that's his most comfortable spot I think.

OJ CANNOT play PG in the NBA.

He is an SG.... a position where he will find himself very undersized.

Where do you find these photos?
laugh.gif

...and yes I agree he can do so in spots but not for 48 minutes that's not his natural game.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

OJ CANNOT play PG in the NBA.
What makes you so sure?
He is an SG.... a position where he will find himself very undersized.
Like he'll be the only one. That won't prevent him from doing damage.

Fact of the matter is, there are combo guards coming out by the boatload. They will find spots on NBA rosters. They will start. Whether it's @ the 1 or the2, it doesn't matter (Unless they have a out of this world, cornerstone PG).

That's the way the game is moving.

How many of y'all actually watched OJ the second half of his season @ USC and his games up to this moment?

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

OJ Mayo is like a glorified JR Smith. I don't think he holds much value for NBA teams. He scores in chunks and doesn't distribute, but he seems to be a player that can fill the stat sheet, but doesn't help the team win much. That's what I think.
If you replaced "O.J. Mayo" with "Rudy Gay," you'd be right (outside of the J.R. comparison).

I won't even comment on the O.J./J.R. comparison.
smh.gif

O.J. is a playmaker. If Hollins put the ball in his hands for a majority of the game, he'd be great.
but using OJ as a Rip Hamilton clone (running him off picks and shooting midrange jumpers) is a waste of his talent which is what he's doing in Memphis right now.
I completely agree.

my thoughts typed by another person.

Back
Top Bottom