Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Watched Argo last night.

LOVED it. Ben is really kicking *** at this new gig. The visuals, it was like watching a movie from 1980 actually. I don't know if he gets the credit for that or how that works, but it was tremendous.

That thing was TENSE. The last half hour I found myself literally on the edge of the couch, leaning forward, hands clasped tightly, I realized and was like wtf am I doin here? :lol:

First off, the true portion of the movie, walkin into that country, without so much as a six shooter and walkin right on thru dudes with machine guns and itchy trigger fingers, those are some bowling balls in those trowsers. Gad damn. Insane.

The cast was really good, and as you can see at the end credits, if those are indeed the real ID's of the people, they did an incredible job matchin them. :wow:

My one complaint. Just one. Ben OD'd a bit on the shots of himself without saying anything. I loved the back and forth showing characters as they wait, wait, wait and all that, but Ben must have had himself shot 75 times without actually saying any dialogue. I got it Ben, you're in the movie, ok, I see you, yes, thank you, move on now. :lol: It's a small complaint, but it was noticeable enough to me to be distracting. Like why the **** he keep showin hisself here, and again....there he is again...AGAIN!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: If I played a drinking game to that, I'd be dead right now.

9/10 easy. Can't wait to see what he directs next. And btw, it was in this very thread that we started talkin about Argo bein his next project. Right after The Town came out. :nthat:

I realized that about Ben too :lol:...I loved the movie though really really good

Here is the full list of the NBR winners, the second of the big critic awards.

Best Film: ZERO DARK THIRTY

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, ZERO DARK THIRTY

Best Actor: Bradley Cooper, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, ZERO DARK THIRTY

Best Supporting Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, DJANGO UNCHAINED

Best Supporting Actress: Ann Dowd, COMPLIANCE

Best Original Screenplay: Rian Johnson, LOOPER

Best Adapted Screenplay: David O. Russell, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Best Animated Feature: WRECK-IT RALPH

Special Achievement in Filmmaking: Ben Affleck, ARGO

Breakthrough Actor: Tom Holland, THE IMPOSSIBLE

Breakthrough Actress: Quvenzhané Wallis, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD

Best Directorial Debut: Benh Zeitlin, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD

Best Foreign Language Film: AMOUR

Best Documentary: SEARCHING FOR SUGARMAN

William K.Everson Film History Award: 50 YEARS OF BOND FILMS

Best Ensemble: LES MISÉRABLES

Spotlight Award: John Goodman (ARGO, FLIGHT, PARANORMAN, TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE)

NBR Freedom of Expression Award: CENTRAL PARK FIVE

NBR Freedom of Expression Award: PROMISED LAND

Here is the NBR’s Top 10 Films of the year list:

Top Films
(in alphabetical order)

ARGO

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD

DJANGO UNCHAINED

LES MISÉRABLES

LINCOLN

LOOPER

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

PROMISED LAND

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Top 5 Foreign Language Films

(In Alphabetical Order)

BARBARA

THE INTOUCHABLES

THE KID WITH A BIKE

NO

WAR WITCH

Top 5 Documentaries

(In Alphabetical Order)

AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY

DETROPIA

THE GATEKEEPERS

THE INVISIBLE WAR

ONLY THE YOUNG

Top 10 Independent Films

(In Alphabetical Order)

ARBITRAGE

BERNIE

COMPLIANCE

END OF WATCH

HELLO I MUST BE GOING

LITTLE BIRDS

MOONRISE KINGDOM

ON THE ROAD

QUARTET

SLEEPWALK WITH ME

Watched Cabin in the Woods...ehhhh....kinda cool concept that could have been executed wayyyy better

Just finished watching Beasts of the Southern Wild Didn't know what I was getting into when it started as I've purposely avoided the film for a while. The film has these beautiful triumphant moments that make you, the audience, happy and feel good inside.One of the hardest things to do in film is make the audience care about a character or situation. Beasts showcases glorious moments in this little girl's upbringing that make you care so much. Beautiful film.

Why does the hobbit look so artificial and corny?

Cabin in the woods concept was awesome. And the ending was too. That in itself makes it good in my book

I am interested in les miserables. The cast doesn't seem right to me. But I hear it's really good.

Last edited:
Why does the hobbit look so artificial and corny?

Cabin in the woods concept was awesome. And the ending was too. That in itself makes it good in my book
+1 on both

The Hobbit just feels so unnecessary.

Frodo and Sam were my least favorite part of the og trilogy, and now this seems like a less interesting version of that story, only without the big end of the world-ness...and the battles...and the orcs...and the ringwraiths...and Aragorn...and the darkness of the series.

And it's one book stretched into 3 films, so probably only the last one might be worth watching in theaters?

It reminds me of the first couple, cheery, kiddy Harry Potter movies, except we've already seen the later, darker, better, more epic ones.

Last edited:
The Hobbit just got compared to the first couple Harry Potter movies.......

Elrond-Facepalm.jpg

If you meant artificial and corny on a visual level, that might be because of how it was filmed

^
After Star Wars, Matrix, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Fast/Furious, Alien, Godfather, and Nolan Batman, I agree.

I got Godfather, Star Wars and Nolan Batman; Matrix last two films were decent but so below the 1st that it drags the series down for me.

Fast and Furious though?! :lol:

Last edited:
Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, a bunch of trils CP mentioned, Future, Expendables eventually, Fast/Furious, Twilight

Back
Top Bottom