Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

If you meant artificial and corny on a visual level, that might be because of how it was filmed
That's what I mean. It isn't even the content because I don't know much about it.
http://techland.time.com/2012/12/06/riddles-in-the-dark-the-hobbits-48-frames-per-second-explained/

Long story short, it's being filmed at 48 frames per second rather than 24.
Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which premieres worldwide next week on Friday, Dec. 14, was filmed with special RED EPIC cameras  capable of recording at an incredible 5,120 by 2,700 pixels, using a motion standard known as High Frame Rate, or HFR, referring to a frame rate greater than 24 FPS — or in this case, exactly double it. If you’re a Jackson wonk or just a film-tech connoisseur, you already know the movie will be displayed in select theaters at 48 FPS.

For all the technical ballyhoo, it’s a decision that’s elicited both praise and scorn. Critics claim HFR makes films look interpolated, like a soap opera  (if you’ve ever watched a soap opera and wondered why it looks nothing like film, it’s because of the interlaced format, 60i, which conveys the illusion of running at a higher frame rate than 30 FPS).

On the other hand, film critic Roger Ebert described seeing a movie at 48 FPS as “of startling clarity.” Writing about Maxivision 48, inventor Dean Goodhill’s 1999 standard for 48 FPS, 35mm film, Ebert said it  “achieves a picture quality better than anything you’ve seen: Four times as good, in fact.”

Peter Jackson took to Facebook  a few weeks ago to defend his decision to film and display his The Hobbit  trilogy at 48 FPS.
Now, in the digital age, there’s no reason whatsoever to stick to 24 fps. We didn’t get it perfect in 1927. Science tells us that the human eye stops seeing individual pictures at about 55 fps. Therefore, shooting at 48 fps gives you much more of an illusion of real life. The reduced motion blur on each frame increases sharpness and gives the movie the look of having been shot in 65mm or IMAX. One of the biggest advantages is the fact that your eye is seeing twice the number of images each second, giving the movie a wonderful immersive quality. It makes the 3D experience much more gentle and hugely reduces eyestrain. Much of what makes 3D viewing uncomfortable for some people is the fact that each eye is processing a lot of strobing, blur and flicker. This all but disappears in HFR 3D.

But so far, the response in early reviews of the film, which premiered in New Zealand  on Nov. 28, has been less than flattering.

The Hollywood Reporter‘s Todd McCarthy leans negative, writing “The results are interesting and will be much-debated, but an initial comparison of the two formats [the 24 FPS vs. 48 FPS versions] weighs against the experiment.” For VarietyPeter Debruge says  “[Everything] takes on an overblown, artificial quality in which the phoniness of the sets and costumes becomes obvious, while well-lit areas bleed into their surroundings, like watching a high-end homemovie.” And Movieline’s Jen Yamato is witheringly critical, writing “It felt like watching daytime soaps in HD, terrible BBC broadcasts, or Faerie Tale Theater circa 1985, only in amazingly sharp clarity and with hobbits.”

But so far, the response in early reviews of the film, which premiered in New Zealand  on Nov. 28, has been less than flattering.

The Hollywood Reporter‘s Todd McCarthy leans negative, writing “The results are interesting and will be much-debated, but an initial comparison of the two formats [the 24 FPS vs. 48 FPS versions] weighs against the experiment.” For VarietyPeter Debruge says  “[Everything] takes on an overblown, artificial quality in which the phoniness of the sets and costumes becomes obvious, while well-lit areas bleed into their surroundings, like watching a high-end homemovie.” And Movieline’s Jen Yamato is witheringly critical, writing “It felt like watching daytime soaps in HD, terrible BBC broadcasts, or Faerie Tale Theater circa 1985, only in amazingly sharp clarity and with hobbits.”
http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/high-frame-rate-video

Anyone sad that NBC canceled Heroes a few years ago? The 1st 2 seasons were great.

Anyone sad that NBC canceled Heroes a few years ago? The 1st 2 seasons were great.

If no one would've showed up for that 1st season...and say it gets cancelled...
People would be talking about Heroes the same way they talk about Firefly, today.

But instead it kept going...and going...and going. :smh:

laugh.gif

I tried watching all of them one time but I couldn't get through it. I was just not connecting to the world or the story.

I'll try again eventually but meh for now.

Last edited:
I'm in Cali tonight for the first time in 20 years, ya'll can't tell me nothin bout FF. :lol:

Welcome back, man. Enjoy your stay. The weather isn't great right now, but its still Cali...

:lol: comin from all the rain in Oregon, 60 and sunny in December, c'mon. :lol: Feels like 90 to me right now. It's good to be home.

Ya'll missin it with FF. It's a great franchise for what it is. Not Shakespeare or anything, but great 2 hour popcorn flicks, easy rewatches with solid scores as well as the broads. No need to look deeper into them.

Slap Shot is the greatest hockey movie of all time, and my fav. sports movie. The Natural is runner up.

Speaking of hockey movies, The Mighty Ducks has to be on CP's trilogy list

Just watched TDKR for the 1st time since it was in theaters in July and I'm sure you all know this, but what a masterful story told by Nolan to end the trilogy. I think I'lll be watching this over and over again like I have TDK.

Back
Top Bottom