Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

There's Bob DeNiro's Tribeca Film Festival in NYC.
laugh.gif
jennifer lawrence infuence 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Did anyone enjoy Coriolanus?

I for one found the 2 hours of Shakespearean dialogue unbearable and personally felt the modern setting didn't mesh well :smh: ( Many critics say it did :rolleyes )

Never heard of the TIFF CP? :lol:

I've watched only a couple foreign films that aren't action/horror.

The main one that comes off the top of my head is Kikujiro, starring Beat Takeshi (Battle Royale). That film was excellent. :pimp:

I know I've seen more, but mostly all I watch are foreign thrillers/action films/horror films.

Going to try and watch I Saw the Devil this weekend, he actually just made his American debut by directing The Last Stand. He also made two very good Korean films, 3 Extremes II, and A Tale of Two Sisters.

There's Bob DeNiro's Tribeca Film Festival in NYC. :lol:
jennifer lawrence infuence 
laugh.gif

:lol:

The dialogue wasnt good. Visually it al worked, and I liked what they were trying to do, but that dialogue didnt work. They had to make it more theatrical so it could work in a film and modern, so that itd make sense in this film.

Chastain and Fiennes were really good, but it felt like they just read straight Shakespeare, whether it tonally worked with the scenes abd flow of the film or not.

Last edited:
:lol:

The dialogue wasnt good. Visually it al worked, and I liked what they were trying to do, but that dialogue didnt work. They had to make it more theatrical so it could work in a film and modern, so that itd make sense in this film.

Chastain and Fiennes were really good, but it felt like they just read straight Shakespeare, whether it tonally worked with the scenes abd flow of the film or not.

That's what I kept thinking. Thought they were literally reading the play. :stoneface:

I'll read it tomorrow, along with the other collection of links I've saved for the 30 Rock finale. 

Dudes really hate puns, huh? :lol:

Checked out Banshee long enough to say I'm checking out of Banshee.

It's like a crime mashup of Justified, A History of Violence and that FOX action show with Rorshach (?). With a knockoff Bob Lee Swagger from Shooter as the lead.

But it's not as good as any of those.

And it probably made it 10 times worse trying to watch this after The Americans.

It's choppy and slow and broody and keep even make up for that with ******* here and there and a little action. And the story...a ex-con impersonates a sheriff played seriously is just dumb.

But I think I'm done cuz the main guy gives you nothing. Hollow Man. He makes the guy who replaced Andy on Spartacus look like Russell Crowe. And cuz of that it's hard to care about any of this show centered around variant Chris O'Donnell and all these people who were deep on the depth charts of getting casted in something stronger.

It's extra average to me.

Last edited:
What network is Banshee on?, haven't heard about it until you mentioned it in an earlier post.

Last edited:
if you havent already , the americans on FX's pilot was......WOW, highly recommend it.

similar to homeland , minus carries crazy face

Movies, movies, movies...Gotta love 'em...

New images from the Chris Pine Jack Ryan movie. I'm actually interested in this...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/01/30/jack-ryan-chris-pine-kenneth-branagh/1841061/

Chris Pine's new trek: 'Jack Ryan'

Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck have taken a turn at Tom Clancy's CIA analyst Jack Ryan. Now Chris Pine takes the character from the beginning in 'Jack Ryan.'

Chris Pine knows a thing or two about taking on iconic screen roles, though he still finds playing the hero somewhat daunting.

The actor is starring for the second time as Enterprise captain James Kirk in Star Trek Into Darkness due out May 17. And on Christmas Day, he'll step into the title role for the action thriller Jack Ryan, based on the character who frequents many of Tom Clancy's novels.

The CIA analyst role has been played by a who's-who of Hollywood leading men, from Alec Baldwin (1990's The Hunt for Red October) to Harrison Ford (1992's Patriot Games, 1994's Clear and Present Danger) and Ben Affleck (2002's The Sum of All Fears).

"It's always a bit overwhelming," admits Pine, 32. "What I do know is my job is to do my best to bring whatever new colors I have to these franchises."

In Jack Ryan, directed by Kenneth Branagh, Pine takes the character to its beginning, where the injured Marine is recruited by CIA vet Kevin Costner to work as a high-level analyst. The two are pitted against a Russian oligarch (played by Branagh) who is pulling the strings of the financial market and delving into international terrorism with potential global catastrophic results.

The Russian angle might sound like classic Clancy, who set his novels during and in the shadow of the Cold War. But this original story has been brought to the present.

"We cheated a little," says Branagh. "Mr. Clancy is very aware of and very behind the concept, but we put Jack Ryan in the here and now."

"We take the fundamentals of the myth of Jack Ryan and do an original film that was never a book," says Pine. "We're making our own story in a modern-day 2013."

Of vital importance for Pine was keeping Ryan very much the everyman, with his greatest asset being his analytical brain.

"He doesn't drive great cars, he doesn't know five different martial arts," says Pine. "He works in the CIA, but he's a normal guy with a normal wife (fiancée, actually) thrown into these extraordinary circumstances."

Costner's character "shows him right away that it's not physical prowess or shooting a gun that's Jack's weapon, but it's how smart he is," adds Pine.

It's this everyman quality that Branagh believes has made Ryan such an enduring film and literary hero.

"We're probably not going to be James Bond or Jason Bourne or Ethan Hunt," says Branagh. "The audience feels they could just be Jack Ryan and they like him for that. If you ever wanted to be involved in global conspiracies and espionage, then Jack Ryan is the way in. And it puts us in the center of the story."

Branagh, as Viktor Cherevin, was eager to take on the villain role even if it meant juggling his directing duties while tangling with the difficult Russian language and its Cyrillic alphabet.

"That was certainly challenging. I'm not a man who is good with languages," says Branagh. "But I enjoyed going up against the Cyrillic alphabet. I think the alphabet probably won. But I had fun trying to hold my own."

The film also stars Keira Knightley as Ryan's fiancée, Cathy, who does take away, slightly, from the everyman concept

"That part is about aspirations," says Branagh about casting her. "I was thinking if Jack Ryan can get Keira Knightley, maybe we all have a chance."

One of my favorite writers, Wesley Morris on 30 Rock. 

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8900291/30-rock-race-identity-politics

Some highlights
For nearly all of its run,  30 Rock practiced what's best called the comedy of Teflon topicality. It had story arcs, but no matter how serious the offense, the show would usually manage to reset itself by the start of the next episode. But it refused to evade race, gender, and their discontents the way dozens of its predecessors had.
At the moment, network TV is relatively rich with farce — How I Met Your Mother, Happy Endings, The Big Bang Theory, Suburgatory. But 30 Rock operates at several orders of magnitude higher, much like the The Simpsons and Seinfeld before it. It sidesteps protecting the safe and peaceable and celebrates the mean, pathetic, and ridiculous
In one of the all-time best half-hours of television, Liz assumes that Tracy can't read. But he's actually just exploiting her white liberal guilt to get time off work. When she tells Pete (Scott Adsit) that Tracy's either illiterate or slacking, he calls her a racist. But she knows Tracy is working her white guilt, which is only to be used for "tipping and voting for Barack Obama." Part of the show's innovation was the way whiteness was as much up for discussion as blackness. Jack Donaghy doesn't see the color of his skin as a race so much as a class.
 To get Tracy to obey authority, Jack acted out members of Tracy's family as if Tracy's family were characters from Sanford and Son andGood Times. Nearly everything Alec Baldwin did on 30 Rock  was ingenious, but I remember watching him transform himself from one imaginary member of the Jordan family to another and my mind being blown. Baldwin surpassed caricature and wound up somewhere deeper. This porky white executive was a raunchy black codger. He wasn't impersonating Redd Foxx. He became him.

But 30 Rock's characters' ability to live alongside each other is an acceptance that institutional and incidental racism and sexism and homophobia are part of how we live. We can survive by laughing at them.

A half-hour like that — and there were at least a couple dozen — suggested that 30 Rockat its best could filter the outspoken liberalism of Norman Lear through the pungent randomness of Mel Brooks or Monty Python

A better explanation is Liz's cop-out when Rosemary says she wants to make TGS more political: "You can't do race stuff on TV. It's too sensitive." The glory of 30 Rock was its awareness that one of the best ways to deal with the problem of race on television is to blithely undermine it.

Last edited:
New images and official fun synopsis for Fast and Furious 6 revealed - new trailer coming at Super Bowl - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2AP

Do you guys have any idea how legitly awesome this synopsis sounds in terms of where this franchise began, and has gone?

Seriously, someday we need to sit down, and go thru the entire series, and figure out how this is even possible that we are giddy for Fast SIX!?!?!

It is unlike any franchise I can think of. It's freaking improving as a series rather than dragging. Incredible.

You'll see pretty soon how many members of this thread actually like the Fast series, and you'll be surprised, and probably disapointed. :lol:

Can't wait for the Bill Simmons - Adam Corolla podcast in late April, you know it's coming. :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom