Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Don't forget folks, tomorrow - RISE AND SHINE - bright and early 8:30am EST / 5:30am PST - The 85th Annual Academy Award Nominations will be announced on ABC by host Seth MacFarlane and Emma Stone.

Last edited:
CP , thats like watching what a beautiful life and comparing it to inglorious basterds

waiting for a crew of nazi killers to stomp out the nazis

i felt the opposite of you , right from the get go i saw 2 black

people talking to lincoln waaaaay too casually , one dude

going off on him and firing off on him like a disgruntled employee

and lincoln laughing and chilling with dude like that's his "potna"

no security around , just former slaves and the president chopping

it up

i thought it was gonna get to the good the bad and the ugly

it was a movie about the good , better and the best of lincoln, 

that movie is lucky it got daniel day lewis , because boy did

he save that movie in my opinion...

Hey, I agreed, that first scene was tremendous. I was hooked on that scene alone, thought we had something. Then, nothing. It was gone. Just that one scene, in the very beginning. |I

Probably, but they're still just 2 stories being told. Nobody knows what was actually said in that courtroom outside of the official document and the vote tallies. So he chose to fill in the blanks his way, same as Cameron did in Titanic. Just because it has Abe's name on it shouldn't change any way it gets viewed as being "realer"

I know that no black person walked into that room and gave the white men wearing wigs a rousing speech on the perspective of blacks dealing with the horrors of slavery, causing them to see the error of their ways and end slavery.

it would be irresponsible to paint a pretty picture of the situation.

Just like I think it's wrong to take the N word our of Huck Finn. You can't whitewash the past (excuse the pun)

Last edited:
The Bill Burr Philly rant > *
story is bill burr was headlining the opie and anthony tour

and the tour was running way too long in every city , 3-4 hours

....so right from the get go philly heckling everybody and bill goes in 4 hours later......

needless to say crowd was antsy , bill has enogh 15 minutes into a 30 minute bit

and just GOES OFF

I do see what you're saying there. I get that.

I just found it interesting the heat that QT got for Django and it's all quiet on Steve's front, regardless of reason. To me, at least Tarantino was telling a story, not unlike a movie that goes out and kills Hitler in a movie theatre. It's a tale he's telling and taking some liberties with it. Could he have cleaned up the language more? Yes. But as you said, if he was trying to paint an accurate portrayal for the era he was filming, you can't, as you say, whitewash it.

Iono, just found it interesting as I was watching Lincoln last night is all. If they came out further apart, maybe I never even connect them in my head, probably more my fault than anything. Just figured I would ask what others thought.

CP I understand what you're saying but Lincoln for the most part is historically accurate. Even if Speilberg put a spin on it and had a black man play an integral role it would've been insulting cuz it simply isn't true. These white dudes weren't even really arguing on whether black ppl should be free, they were really looking at the fact that they're economy is about to tank and they're gonna lose a ton of free labor.

The reason QT is getting heat for Django (and I'm honestly not seeing a lot of it) is cuz the movie is looked upon as making money off of slavery by glamorizing it and showing it as an entertainment product. That's why I think some ppl will be mad. Those same ppl would look at Lincoln as more of a serious history lesson in terms of entertainment where as Django will have the action and some comedy.

Basically ppl want their slavery depicted as seriously as possible no matter the contradictions and double standards out there.

And if it were switched Speilberg would catch heat for Django. People had assumed some things about the movie off the trailer and commercials. I don't think this is some case of ppl targeting QT. I think they'd only go hard on him for his reputation and catalog of movies. They're gonna assume there's a lack of respect going on with one guy more than the other but don't think if those ppl wanted to they couldn't go after Speilberg. It'd be as simple as saying it's just another white dude making money off the black man's plight.

Last edited:
The reason QT is getting heat for Django (and I'm honestly not seeing a lot of it) is cuz the movie is looked upon as making money off of slavery by glamorizing it and showing it as an entertainment product. That's why I think some ppl will be mad. 

That is EXACTLY it. Sums it up entirely right there.

Currently watching Django (been spending about 20-30 each night watching).... and ehh. Not a bad movie, but I can't front...I do feel uncomfortable at times. I'll finish it soon and see how I feel about the entire movie.

The heck you mean 20-30 minutes each night? The hell? :stoneface: :lol:

MrO, my bad man, I didn't mean to mess up your choices. I shoulda spoilered.

Currently watching Django (been spending about 20-30 each night watching).... and ehh. Not a bad movie, but I can't front...I do feel uncomfortable at times. I'll finish it soon and see how I feel about the entire movie.
Son treating it like a book
laugh.gif

That is EXACTLY it. Sums it up entirely right there.

That's about as good of answer as I could give.

Lincoln is much closer to reality than Django.

The same way Schindlers List is closer to reality than Inglourious.

They are just made for a less tolerant group of people. QT isn't for everyone.

I don't think watching any movie 20-30 min at a time is the right way to watch it unless it's really broken up in to acts/chapters where you can pause it and walk away and come back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okayyyyy, how do we get it moved back then? This thread been open for like 3 years hasn't it? What the hell?

Back
Top Bottom