Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Has anyone seen Hyde Park On Hudson?

Bill Murray as FDR sounds like win to me. I heard about it a while back (on Craig Ferguson's Late Late show due to shorty playing FDR's wife in the back on the left), forgot all about it, then seen the commercial for it. It's restricted in areas so now I'm on the hunt to see where in NYC they're showing it.

I saw it about 3 months ago at the NYFF, I really enjoyed it. A lot of people have said Murray shouldn't have played FDR but it was a nice different, funny role for him.

Hyde Park on Hudson Review:

Some secrets are hard to keep. Others are kept for years, and once they get out they are made into a movie.

Hyde Park on Hudson is the charming and lovely story of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his particular relationship with his “fifth or sixth” cousin, Daisy.

Tackling a US President is always a daunting task; in fact, Bill Murray said it was his “most formidable character” he’s ever had to play. This isn’t your typical boring, politics filled bio-pic. In fact this shows the rather sleazy, yet comical side to one of the most admired Commander In Chiefs in US history.

Directed by Roger Michell, Hyde Park has already started to generate Oscar buzz from the festival circuit. This being the third film for ATC at the New York Film Festival, we can confirm that the buzz is warranted.

As Murray adds spectacles, leg braces and a particular drawl, he warms the audience as the 32nd President of the United States every chance he gets with his comedy and levity of any situation. Murray portrays FDR in an airy sense, never getting too serious or formidable, perhaps like a president should.

Told from the perspective of Daisy, the story revolves around the affection of the people for Roosevelt, his knack for doing things in an un-presidential manner, and how he did everything he could to simply relax.

As King George IV and Queen of England are set to make their first trip stateside in order to establish peace with the USA in case of war, the entire Roosevelt estate in upstate New York is in a frenzy trying to make the proper accommodations.

Samuel West plays Bertie, the King of England, while Olivia Colman plays Elizabeth, the Queen of England. Both do such a fantastic job juxtaposing the typical American politicians and really add the yin and yang to Roosevelt and Daisy.

FDR’s relationship with Daisy is mostly front and center as we see a nonexistent family bond balloon into a not-so-typical romance. Daisy isn’t just a lover to FDR, in fact we are never privileged to seeing the two being intimate, aside from a rather funny scene in FDR’s car while in a meadow. Daisy goes from distant cousin to companion, comforter, friend and confidant. “I helped him forget the weight of the world,” Daisy says, in other words she pleased the polio-stricken president with her company, and in other ways.

Laura Linney plays Daisy, and shines doing so. Her meek, mousy exterior when we are first introduced to her fluctuates, as she gets more comfortable around the servants and residents of the presidents house over looking the Hudson River. At first she doesn’t understand why FDR is so insistent on seeing her, she’s nervous being around, but over time as she says people just assumed she belonged.

I won’t be shocked if Murray lands a best actor nod, the film certainly has the appeal of an “Academy film,” and we all know how much the geezers with the SAG cards love presidential roles. If Murray doesn’t land a best actor nod, the film itself may be one of the two handfuls that earn a Best Picture nomination.

The film is as much about odd presidential romance as it is bridging the friendship of England and America. It showcases FDR’s shrewd tactics of becoming friends with King George IV by telling jokes, and drinking lots of alcohol.

At one point Roosevelt mentions his stamp collection and how when he was younger he felt it was a great way to meeting girls. Then with a sly smile he looks over at King George and says “but I guess stamps don’t matter when your father is the King.”

Hyde Park on Hudson is this years The Kings Speech although not as grand.

This is a Bill Murray showcase unlike one we have seen from him. We see a president at home, surrounded by accommodations for his legs, while never having a care in the world of showing anything signs of fear, doubt or despair. Murray never over does it and adds just enough laughter and intelligence to the character that it really feels right.

It’s odd, this film boils down to the audience rooting for foreign policy over a hot dog. A story line around the King and Queen eating America’s famous hot dog at a picnic to symbolize England and America growing comfortable with each other becomes a main stay in the film.

And if a film can have you rooting for a frankfurter while making you laugh and feel good inside, well, then like Bertie says to the media after digging into his first ever hot dog “perhaps I’ll have another.”

Rating: B+

Last edited:
At home sick with mono... Gonna run through Beasts of the Southern Wild, Lawless, Total Recall, The Campaign and Paranorman over the next 24 hours.

when I mean lead a film, I don't mean star and carry a film. I mean market it as his own vehicle and let him alone be the driving force and main star, a guy a studio can get behind and push.
i mean premium rush was kind of like that , but it was mad under the radar

anyone seen it? might watch it tonight

has anyone seen compliance? looks like an awkward watch

Last edited:
gonna go with cache and man on wire
pimp.gif
 i think imma hit 2/2 in terms of good flicks....

both movies kinda old but theres nothing that is catching my eye at the moment

from this/last year.

i'll review them later

if anyones into docs paradise 3 : purgatory , queen of versailles , agent 9 (elliot spitzer),the imposter and bill cunningham new york are all great.

been holding off on marley and searching for sugarman

Late entry for 2012 comedy, but Goon was really good. Technically it released in 2011, but didn't release in the US until 2012.

I had seen it recommended here and there, definitely worth a watch. 

triangle got me off guard , friends rented it and i watched it not having seen a trailer from it ....made the movie that much better for me

Cashe was...wow.

I'm still confused...even though i've concluded the 2 sons set their dads/parents up with the videos.

Triangle....I remember watching that when it first came out. One of the creepiest, if not THEE creepiest films i've ever seen. It's so mind blowing weird man. Still don't know wtf happened. Go on IMDB boards (Like I always do after watching a movie...it's my way of figuring out what happens with movies with twists in them haha) and it's all theory's, etc.

Great movie though. Agree it's better than looper only because looper was easy to figure out, triangle was on my mind for weeks after watching it

Django 
nthat.gif

Was damn good, I'd put it right behind Skyfall and maybe Argo.

When the Rick Ross and Tupac tracks played I got mad hyped, made me wanna go learn to gunsling and ride a horse 
laugh.gif

So, I finally caught 21 Jumpstreet.

I'll say from the start, I liked the old show, and it kind of tainted my experience for my viewing. It's a completely different tone from the show, and I knew that going in, but certain things that happened during it, I wasn't too thrilled with. What I'm specifically talking about is the cameo late in the film. It's a giant slap-in-the-face and **** you to fans of the original series, IMO. Take two of the stars from the original and kill them off within about 30 seconds? Way to pay homage to your source material, movie...

That said, if this weren't called 21 Jumpstreet, I'd have a much easier time accepting the film.

Regardless, it's a really funny movie, It's up there with Ted for best comedy of 2012, I just didn't think it was as great as a lot of people made it out to be. Enjoyable, funny, and pretty original, and they did more things right than they did wrong, but I just was rubbed the wrong way a few times, which dampened the experience.

I also watched Pulp Fiction for the first time in probably 8-9 years. Man, it's so much better once you're older and can catch all the little things you couldn't appreciate when you're younger. I had forgotten just how funny it was, and just how many cameos are in it.

I plan on watching Reservoir Dogs this weekend, along with Jackie Brown for the first time :nerd: .

i did a presentation on jackie brown in college. talked about the sexism and what not. real solid film that no one really talks about.

just watched cache :wow:
that last scene with the credits rolling....

love that film. french cinema in general is pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom